Truly 4E wide non-gortex mid-height boots

adamjma

Cold hands, lukewarm heart
Minuteman
Feb 13, 2017
Canada
I am blessed with a set of flippers for feet, so what are you similarly afflicted folks using for a genuinely 4E wide boot? I'm looking for something without goretex or other waterproof lining and ideally light and mid-height. Think Salomon Quest or the like.

Oh, and I'm in Canada, so super bonus points if you have actually bought these boots up here and can point me in the right direction.

Thx!

i too have been blessed by a well established base.

I've a pair of Columbia wide boots. They look a lot like these but my model is long discontinued: https://www.columbia.com/mens-newton-ridge-wide-1594732.html?dwvar_1594732_variationColor=231#q=wide+hiking+boot&start=0
they're $70 in my size on amazon

I've been quite pleased with them. It's my first experience with light weight hiking boots as previously i had always used more classic appearing heavy leather formats but they've held up well and are quite comfortable.

Last edited:
Reactions: adamjma
Thanks @want2learn for the reply. Never tried Columbias, so I'll have a look at them.

I've had great success with a pair of Meindl wide boots but they are a heavier model and hard to fund here. Did the west coast (of BC, Canada) trail in them and not a hint of a blister. Presently I am wearing a set of Dunham Clouds but they are sweaty and the sole is skimpy on grip.

I typically wear a size 13 4E. My wife found a pair of Prophet Ridge Walker (model M3599) that are actually 5E and they are the most comfortable boots I have ever had.

Good luck

Funny you mention Propet - I just tried a pair of Ridge Walkers and they did not fit at all. Labelled 5E but felt way narrower to me. I may be a freak.

I’m a 4e, and I’ve been wearing Altra shoes. Not exactly boots in the traditional sense, but I use their trail runners in place of boots. The Lone Peak is a high top trail runner I’ve used a lot. They just released an actual boot, but all the reviews say the toe box is not tall enough.

Those look pretty good. I have a pair of Vivo barefoot shoes I wear in the summer, so the Altras could work. Thanks!!

Zamberlan are by far the best boot I have ever worn. They are a bit stiff and they have goretx but my feet are about as wide as they are long and I’ve had problems my entire life with boots and shoes and I love these. I’ve put over 500 miles on them and they are holding up great. Pricey though.

Reactions: adamjma
Zamberlan are by far the best boot I have ever worn. They are a bit stiff and they have goretx but my feet are about as wide as they are long and I’ve had problems my entire life with boots and shoes and I love these. I’ve put over 500 miles on them and they are holding up great. Pricey though.

Noted thanks!