• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

USGOV banning Killflashes due to possible national security issues

People like you are the proverbial "cancer in the American Patriots' locker room" because you don't differentiate between good Repubs and RINOs, and that gives cover to Dems, of which NONE are "good". You're just another whining Karen.

In general, politicians suck but they're necessary to any system of government, and to act like the bumpstock mistake by Trump somehow erases all of the great things he did and attempted to do, is juvenile and self serving. Our best shot at a political solution is Trump. But feel free to personally start the revolution.

Because you chose to post that stupid shit about Rs in an otherwise informative post, I'll be sure to never buy any of your products.

Now fuck off to your Skamala Harris meeting.

Show me one of your "real" Republicans who is working to broadly roll back the sort of onerous regulation being discussed, such as (but not limited to) 22 U.S.C. 2778 (Arms Export Control Act, commonly referred to as ITAR).

The only time you'll find politicians of any stripe pushing for limited roll-backs is when they want to personally benefit from the sale and export of defense articles to "allies" such as Turkey or Saudi Arabia.

I do believe there is a difference on how AECA is applied to physical goods vs. virtual information.
Ah, what virtual information. We are talking about a simple ARD, are we not?

And Covert pulled all listings on their site for…the ARD hardware.

I still don’t get it….but I ride the short bus to school so….lol

I hope they don’t find out about tape next
1726256715276.png

If they really gave a shit they’d leak the STL files, but some kid could whip that up in an evening.

If this is a marketing ploy, they get points for creativity for sure. The only two online sites I found them to purchase from took them down. What's interesting is if the DOJ, DOD or any of the other Def. Depts. determined an invention to be a national security risk, rescinding patents through the patent office is the path they would take to get it out of the market. (The U.S. code highlighted in red and link to the law code below picture)

def dis ard.png

35 USC 181 link

It might be possible that there is something about these ARD's that defeats the latest detection tech. If @Docsherm would be so kind to post a few pictures of one the Covert Arms/Defense Distributer ARD's from different angles so we can all see for ourselves if there really is any difference to these compared to other ARD's.

If the DOD really did have Covert Arm's patent put on hold, it could take a year or better before these can be put on the market. But in the mean time, for those of us who just like tacti-cool shit, I wonder if @CSTactical can call ATI and see about a group buy for these:
Laser Filters

They can they just can be challenged in court now.

So more bs. They spend tax payer dollars to infringe and defend. We have to donate to fight the bs
Yeah that shit should be outlawed itself. After something is settled in court there should be a timeframe that one has to wait before the same or similar stuff can go back to court. I grow tired of getting taxed to have my rights taken and then taxed again to pay groups to fight to try and keep them or get them back all because of stupid bullshit laws. Would be nice if everyone just said fuck all the stupid shit and do what you want. Guess we will be banning all kinds of special fabrics that can also defeat all the shit the ARD stuff does.

Reactions: BurtG
There is something in that patent application, beyond a kill flash, that the govt wants to keep secret. This does not say that ALL ARDs are affected. It is just this one patent, which is incorporated into their ARD.
I wouldnt be suprised if it were something mundane like novel geometry that defeats their spooky optic detection methods effectively.

I doubt they are worried about external threats, but they cant unring the assassination attempt bell so they dont want to risk someone competent glassing a politician they actually care about.

If this is a marketing ploy, they get points for creativity for sure. The only two online sites I found them to purchase from took them down. What's interesting is if the DOJ, DOD or any of the other Def. Depts. determined an invention to be a national security risk, rescinding patents through the patent office is the path they would take to get it out of the market. (The U.S. code highlighted in red and link to the law code below picture)

View attachment 8501104

35 USC 181 link

It might be possible that there is something about these ARD's that defeats the latest detection tech. If @Docsherm would be so kind to post a few pictures of one the Covert Arms/Defense Distributer ARD's from different angles so we can all see for ourselves if there really is any difference to these compared to other ARD's.

If the DOD really did have Covert Arm's patent put on hold, it could take a year or better before these can be put on the market. But in the mean time, for those of us who just like tacti-cool shit, I wonder if @CSTactical can call ATI and see about a group buy for these:
Laser Filters
Here are the pictures. Theirs is the FDE one and the other is One Hundred Concepts.

00-qY7I4uVR1_b1rQSxVxKNIHDibaIXo-TeKnKKnHG9n4YtxOyba0gffSaP3NyWT7lRrnHjCyIZu59oV2we_kMG9A

Reactions: papershredder
Here are the pictures. Theirs is the FDE one and the other is One Hundred Concepts.

00-qY7I4uVR1_b1rQSxVxKNIHDibaIXo-TeKnKKnHG9n4YtxOyba0gffSaP3NyWT7lRrnHjCyIZu59oV2we_kMG9A

Thanks!

I wouldnt be suprised if it were something mundane like novel geometry that defeats their spooky optic detection methods effectively.

^^^That^^^ and I wouldn't be surprised if rubber bands and pantyhose could as well.

It's hard to tell from the pic but is the print really rough and bumpy looking? It reminds me of the PTR suppressors and their "purposely induced porosity", if you can make it a shit show labyrinth of surface area and ridges it will likely swallow up a greater percentage of the photons reflecting back off of the objective

I created an account here, because my usual forum(s) aren't discussing it and I have something to contribute.

The U.S. military is using the LTLM II (Laser Target Locator Module) for optics detection in the battlefield. The LTLM II (Laser Target Locator Module, manufactured by Safron Optics) emits "eye safe" infrared laser pulses (which would put it in the 1400nm - 1550nm LWIR wavelength) and processes the returned signals to detect the internal reflections of scopes/binoculars/etc. It would not surprise me that the Covert Arms ARD products were tested using the currently fielded LTLM II and performed far better than they would like, which led to the secrecy order being sent.

Looking at images, it's clear the Covert Arms anti-reflection devices use a smaller hexagon pattern than typical ARD's. They also have a very rough surface texture, which I suspect is a side-effect (a good one in this case) of powder deposition 3D printing process (ie: SLS, or DMLS using nylon).

On a cached view of the Covert Arms website, I saw them mention their ARD's also have an anti-reflective coating. I would put money that they dipped them in a thinned light-absorbing paint .. one containing carbon-nanotubes would work best (such as VantaBlack, Singularity, etc), since they have tend to have excellent infrared absorbing properties.

Whichever coating they used must've been capable of absorbing far-infrared light emitted by the LTLM II laser.

Someone from Covert Arms mentioned that their design has a couple of extra tweaks in their design, which led to the govt. secrecy ban. We know they're coated, so there must be something else the competition does not do...

Since they appear to be 3D printed, the design could also incorporate internal geometry within each hexagonal tube. This could be a sawtooth type pattern, just like that found on the inside of quality optics to reduce glare. With 3D printing the sawtooth pattern could be taken beyond 90-degrees, resulting in the forward-facing angle directing the remaining light towards more light-absorbing coating (instead of outwards).

I realize this is a lot of supposition, but it's based on information from the company, published data, years of experience in image-analysis and 3D modelling, and an interest in engineering.

It should also be noted that not granting a patent does not make something illegal to sell. Rescinding a patent just removes the partial monopoly that the govt grants when it issues a patent. There are tons of goods that are not patented that are sold every day. In fact, it is often seen as a corporate strategy to NOT patent key inventions. A “trade secret” cannot be patented, as publication of the secret removes the secrecy. Of course, secrets can be stolen, reverse engineered, etc.

Was there a cease and desist order that I missed?

Reactions: E. Bryant