Vortex Razor HD Gen III 6-36x56

You guys should check out bushnell xrs3 gap reticle. It's an awesome scope I think glass on it is equal or very close to the razor gen 3. It does lack in turrets but not horrible but I love there reticle.

I’ve hear a lot of people say not to rely on the Spuhr wedge for reticle alignment over the last decade-ish. I’ve used the wedge on 7 G2 RZRs, 3 ATATCRs, 2 PM IIs, and 1 NX8. I’ve checked all with a plumb. Not one had a reticle off alignment with gravity. I trust but verify every time so it doesn’t matter to me, but how many people actually found a discrepancy with the recent line of scope coming out?

Reactions: DubfromGA
I just think the sport and gear is evolving and we're evolving with it. At one point not too long ago a Tremor 3 was the new hotness and commanded a few hundred bucks more to block your view and guys were doing it lol.

I'm who @stanley_white was talking about... A couple of years back I might have fallen into that "I need more sub-tensions so I can be more accurate" group... now I'm like "WTF are all these lines for? no one needs this shit". :ROFLMAO:
Yep. Guilty. However, I have never liked the Tremor or Horus reticles. WAY too much shit going on to be remotely near practical and it blocks a TON of your FOV and background image. If you're a sniper, and you're perched up in a hide with your main weapon being a precision rifle and you need to range without coming off the glass, or moving around, making noise, etc... Sure, it makes sense, but even comp people can't practically use that reticle in a quick enough manner to justify owning it, other than to say, "I run Horus reticles..." so retards at the gun stores will think you're a sniper or pro shooter. 😂

• Haha
Reactions: CK1.0
Horus reticles have a lot of utility if you do the type of shooting they are designed for.

They are useful for rapid target engagement and unknown distance. I use them on my work guns and they work well, I do have minor complaints with the mover hash marks in the horizontal stadia line on the Tremor 3, and the refined milling portion is located in a less useful location than previous reticles. The Tremor 5 seems to be the best option currently.

IMG_1222.jpeg

Does anyone else find the Gen3's EBR-7D reticle visually complex/complicated (too many little hash lines to visually digest)..?

I recently switched back to a Razor Gen2, and even though I've only shot it a few times since the swap, the EBR-7C is so much easier on my brain/eyes and I've already experienced my shooting improve slightly without changing anything else. There's no doubt the Gen3's glass is better, there's no argument there, but for me, the slightly thicker/larger and less busy reticle in the Gen2 seems to be worth the trade-off.

l ran the Gen3 for nearly a year and during that span it sort of felt like my shooting had plateaued and I couldn't quite figure out why (since it's technically a "newer/better scope"). But now, after first shooting a Mark4HD PR3-MIL for a while, and then going back to the R2/7C (mostly for more robust build quality and better turrets), I feel like it's more likely than not that the R3 contributed to my stagnation, with the thinner/small-hashed/more busy EBR-7D reticle being the culprit.

@Scott_at_Vortex, any chance Vortex would ever do a Gen3 with a different, non-xmas-tree reticle, maybe something more "open" and less busy/complicated and a little thicker/easier-to-pick-up in the vane of Leupold's new PR3-MIL (which looks like sort of a thicker TT JTAC or ZCO MPCT1X with less hash marks IMO)..?

PR3-MIL:

View attachment 8486483
I have similar feelings. I tend to prefer the 7c in the G2 over the 7D in the G3. I find the reticle lines to be a little too thin/fine. I also agree the glass is better in the G3. A G3 with a 7c would be fantastic.

Alright... After a quick trip to Vortex, @Scott_at_Vortex determined there was an issue with the erector tube's alignment in my scope, and they replaced the erector and tube with a new one, cleaned all the lenses, and got everything else squared away on it and back into spec. It just came back in today, and I got it mounted back up on the .25 Creed, and bore-sighted off the old zero, and I'll be testing it out this weekend. Just looking inside the house, I can already tell it's much better as far as clarity (no discernible CA when moving my head off-center), but I'll give it a final seal of approval upon checking the reticle and parallax this weekend, after a good range trip out in the daylight.

Thanks for the quick turn-around Scott. Yall are awesome! 👍🏼

Where did you get that cover?

Reactions: louu and DubfromGA
Ok, this new Razor Gen3 they sent me is night & day difference! I can actually focus on the target and the reticle at the same time. The parallax is MUCH closer at 100, but still slightly off, but I can deal with setting it on about 85 yards for 100. And even though it still has to be on around 200 for 300 yards, it's not the end of the world, the numbers are very close to each other, so I can deal with that being off. But there's no CA at all. The first one had horrible CA. And overall it's just a much better scope than the first example I was sent from EuroOptic.

Final thoughts, if this example is how they're supposed to be from the factory, I would have no problem buying another one for another rifle build in the future. And their warranty and CS was top-notch, as usual.

The Razor G3's glass has basically made it impossible for me to pull the trigger on buying a ZCO... I just can't do it. As I heard someone put it before, unless one is maybe some sort of "professional scope reviewer" or something, their glass looks the same, and I cannot rationalize spending an extra ~$1500-2000+ more for the same glass quality (~$2500 for an RG3 vs $4250 + a new 36mm mount to go 8-40 ZCO).

The RG3 has changed the game in a way. When the ZCOs hit the scene I felt like they were probably worth their premium over the NF ATACRs they were competing against because they do have better glass than the ATACRs that were (and still are) pricey... but now the RG3s easily beat the ATACR's glass and equal the ZCO's, for a lot less money, so the whole value proposition has changed.

Please make a non-Xmas tree reticle Vortex, please?

The Razor G3's glass has basically made it impossible for me to pull the trigger on buying a ZCO...

Please make a non-Xmas tree reticle Vortex, please?

I feel the exact same way but unfortunately I need 2 scopes for ELR builds and because Vortex doesn't build a non tree reticle I'm going to buy ZCOs in 8x40 with the IMPCT 1 reticle.

I actually talked to a Vortex engineer about a non tree reticle and he said it cost about $60k to add a reticle change and there just wasn't enough demand for it.

On another note I finally got to spend some time behind a ZCO 27x last week zeroing and shooting groups for a friend's rifle and for that task I greatly preferred the G3.

Vortex please build us a G3 without a tree reticle!

Reticles: I do not like the Xmas tree reticle, but it's the 'market' and I have to live with it. My Razor III's glass is 'stunning'! I compared it to my SB PMII, which is several years old, but the Razor's was better. And I have no issues with it.

Saw that on the news also. BTW a primer and ammo company in south FL is about ready to come on line also

Considering getting one.

It’s been out for some time…

Are all the issues mentioned in this thread somewhat pervasive?
From the research that i've done it seems like most of the issues were with the earlier scopes and newer production optics have remedied the common complaints.

I just picked up a second had new in box G3 and man...this thing is nice as hell.

Glass is bright. Turrets are crisp as hell. The locks on mine aren't quite as stiff as i'd like but i'm going to wait and see if its an issue when I try and dial during live fire.

Everything else on the optic is smooth as hell and I really like the reticle.

The eyebox is tighter than I expected but I may be spoiled by my MK5HD's. Those have REALLY forgiving eye boxes.

Reactions: Edsel
I feel the exact same way but unfortunately I need 2 scopes for ELR builds and because Vortex doesn't build a non tree reticle I'm going to buy ZCOs in 8x40 with the IMPCT 1 reticle.

I actually talked to a Vortex engineer about a non tree reticle and he said it cost about $60k to add a reticle change and there just wasn't enough demand for it.

On another note I finally got to spend some time behind a ZCO 27x last week zeroing and shooting groups for a friend's rifle and for that task I greatly preferred the G3.

Vortex please build us a G3 without a tree reticle!
An MPCT1X knock off is the move right now. All I ask is companies stop putting out the alternating reticle thing we got going on with the SKMR+.

I need Vortex to stop telling me about the labor pains and show me the baby.

-Stan

I need Vortex to stop telling me about the labor pains and show me the baby.

-Stan
I decided to run a poll on reticle preference on my website. It is a little bit of a self-selecting sample, but so far it is roughly 2-to-1 in favor of tree-type reticles over hash-type reticles with exactly zero people favouring Horus-style grids. We'll see if that changes as more people vote.

1726351666451.png

I decided to run a poll on reticle preference on my website. It is a little bit of a self-selecting sample, but so far it is roughly 2-to-1 in favor of tree-type reticles over hash-type reticles with exactly zero people favouring Horus-style grids. We'll see if that changes as more people vote.

View attachment 8501790
I feel bad for that 69.2%.

It must be hard to go through life either knowing you are wrong or being ignorant of said wrongness.

:)

-Stan

I feel bad for that 69.2%.

It must be hard to go through life either knowing you are wrong or being ignorant of said wrongness.

:)

-Stan
If that ratio persists and is representative of the broader customer base, it likely signifies that there is a market there for non-tree reticles. Hell, S&B did not have anything resembling a proper tree reticle in a precision scope (other than Gen2 XR in one model) until recently and they are still in business.

On the other hand, they were once the default choice on the high end and they are not any more. That mostly has something to do with pricing, but reticle selection is probably relevant too.

ILya

I do not think it is going your way after a couple more days...
View attachment 8502468

IMHO your results just represent the typical "monkey see, monkey do" mentality. Xmas-tree reticles became the most popular over the last 5+ years, and thus, since most don't want to go against the grain, most just stick with the herd.

Popularity doesn't always mean best though, evidenced by the Leupold Mark5HDs (arguably the crappiest of flagship scopes available, with the worst turrets and worst glass as compared to its competitors) being the most popular scope in the PRS (according to Cal at www.precisionrifleblog.com).

But... if you look at the current PRS Open standings, at least 3 or 4 (30-40%) of the top 10 peeps are running non-Xmas-tree reticles (TT JTAC and NF MIL-C).

So it's not just a couple of us fringe wierdos. 😛

• Haha
Reactions: Rob01
IMHO your results just represent the typical "monkey see, monkey do" mentality. Xmas-tree reticles became the most popular over the last 5+ years, and thus, since most don't want to go against the grain, most just stick with the herd.

Popularity doesn't always mean best though, evidenced by the Leupold Mark5HDs (arguably the crappiest of flagship scopes available, with the worst turrets and worst glass as compared to its competitors) being the most popular scope in the PRS (according to Cal at www.precisionrifleblog.com).

But... if you look at the current PRS Open standings, at least 3 or 4 (30-40%) of the top 10 peeps are running non-Xmas-tree reticles (TT JTAC and NF MIL-C).

So it's not just a couple of us fringe wierdos. 😛
It is entirely possible that this is just a case of blind "going with the flow". Or it could simply be that different people shoot differently. Or it could simply be the case that depending on where you are different reticle make more sense.

If it is simply a case of "mokey see mokey do" using your own observation about JTAC and Mil-C, we should see a bunch of people switching to simpler reticles next year. I doubt that will happen, but time will tell.

As far as Mark 5HD goes, there is really no mystery why it is popular in PRS. Leupold has dumped more money into marketing to PRS than any other brand and by a solid margin. On the other hand, Tangent does not really do any marketing and it seems to be doing pretty well in PRS/NRL.

Unless you find a way to normalize those rankings by marketing spending, they do not really do much.

Reticles are an individual choice. Personally, I prefer relatively moderate tree reticles since I do not find them to get in the way much and do use the tree relatively frequently. I do strongly prefer non-tree reticles for paper shooting for some reason. Go figure.

It is also entirely possible, that the benefits of a simpler reticles become more apparent as the skill level increases. If you dial for both elevation and wind, as some of the best shooters I have seen do, you have more to keep track of. Perhaps, that is simply harder for less capable shooters (me included) to keep track of on the clock.

Given a choice, I tend to use the reticle quite a lot at moderate distances. Once we get beyond 500 or so, I almost exclusively dial for elevation and hold for wind. Naturally, when I have Impact 4000 on the gun, I find myself using the reticle for both elevation and wind holds increasingly more since leaving the turrets alone simplifies using a weapon mounted LRF.

Then again, I am not really a PRS shooter and perhaps I look at things differently.

To be fair, I did not phrase the question in the poll as "what would you use for PRS". I asked what is your preferred reticle type for practical precison shooting.

ILya

It is entirely possible that this is just a case of blind "going with the flow". Or it could simply be that different people shoot differently. Or it could simply be the case that depending on where you are different reticle make more sense.

If it is simply a case of "mokey see mokey do" using your own observation about JTAC and Mil-C, we should see a bunch of people switching to simpler reticles next year. I doubt that will happen, but time will tell.

As far as Mark 5HD goes, there is really no mystery why it is popular in PRS. Leupold has dumped more money into marketing to PRS than any other brand and by a solid margin. On the other hand, Tangent does not really do any marketing and it seems to be doing pretty well in PRS/NRL.

Unless you find a way to normalize those rankings by marketing spending, they do not really do much.

Reticles are an individual choice. Personally, I prefer relatively moderate tree reticles since I do not find them to get in the way much and do use the tree relatively frequently. I do strongly prefer non-tree reticles for paper shooting for some reason. Go figure.

It is also entirely possible, that the benefits of a simpler reticles become more apparent as the skill level increases. If you dial for both elevation and wind, as some of the best shooters I have seen do, you have more to keep track of. Perhaps, that is simply harder for less capable shooters (me included) to keep track of on the clock.

Given a choice, I tend to use the reticle quite a lot at moderate distances. Once we get beyond 500 or so, I almost exclusively dial for elevation and hold for wind. Naturally, when I have Impact 4000 on the gun, I find myself using the reticle for both elevation and wind holds increasingly more since leaving the turrets alone simplifies using a weapon mounted LRF.

Then again, I am not really a PRS shooter and perhaps I look at things differently.

To be fair, I did not phrase the question in the poll as "what would you use for PRS". I asked what is your preferred reticle type for practical precison shooting.

ILya

I'm guilty of "monkey see, monkey do" too. I'm one of those guys that you correctly predicted would try a non-Xmas-tree reticle because I noticed some of the top pros weren't running them (Xmas-trees)... and as it turns out, my eyes/brain love it.

I haven't missed the tree one bit, as when I've maybe needed one for holdovers during a match, my brain sort of superimposes it anyway and it's like I see it even though it's not there. In fact, yesterday I shot a local match and got 14 impacts going back and forth between 300 and 600 yards in 60 seconds holding 4-5 tenths left for wind the whole time (while dialed for 300/1mil and holding an extra 2.5mils up for 600/3.5mils), no tree needed (it was as many impacts as you could get in 60 seconds, and I won the stage, but I think I also was the only guy there with a 14rd mag and everyone else needed to to do a mag change 😝). If conditions are spicy and one needs to hold more than a full-mil or so of wind and things could get wonky, then they're probably/arguably better off dialing some wind into the gun beforehand anyway.

I can't be the only one who's noticed the same thing, and I'd bet the PR3-MIL will be an option on Leupold's next-gen Mark5HD (like in their new Mark4HD), and then, if it becomes the new hotness, Vortex will be playing catch-up...

Last edited:
I'm guilty of "monkey see, monkey do" too. I'm one of those guys that you correctly predicted would try a non-Xmas-tree reticle because I noticed some of the top pros weren't running them (Xmas-trees)... and as it turns out, my eyes/brain love it.

I haven't missed the tree one bit, as when I've maybe needed one for holdovers during a match, my brain sort of superimposes it anyway and it's like I see it even though it's not there. In fact, yesterday I shot a local match and got 14 impacts going back and forth between 300 and 600 yards in 60 seconds holding 4-5 tenths left for wind the whole time (while zeroed for 300/1mil and holding 2.5mils up for 600), no tree needed (it was as many impacts as you could get in 60 seconds, and I won the stage, but I think I also was the only guy there with a 14rd mag and everyone else needed to to do a mag change 😝). If one needs to hold more than a full Mil or so of wind, then they're probably/arguably better off dialing it into the gun beforehand anyway.

I can't be the only one who's noticed the same thing, and I'd bet the PR3-MIL will be an option on Leupold's next-gen Mark5HD (like in their new Mark4HD), and then, if it becomes the new hotness, Vortex will be playing catch-up...
That's entirely possible. I do not have any especially strong opinions on the subject, to be honest. When I tried to figure out what works best for me, I got two identical March 5-42x56 scopes, one with a fml-tr1 tree reticle and one with fml-3 non tree reticle and went back and forth for a while.

I can use both comfortably, but somewhat prefer the tree reticle with all else being equal.

ILya