• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Rifle Scopes Vortex Viper PST 4-16X50 FFP Initial Impressions

Re: Vortex Viper PST 4-16X50 FFP Initial Impressions

I never noticed that in the subtension detail, good to know.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jrob300</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ScottTX</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm seriously considering the Vortex Viper PST for my Savage 10 Precision Carbine in 308. Still trying to figure out whether to go with the 4-16 or 6-24. I doubt I will be shooting at 1000 yds. It will be both a hunting and target setup. Hunting for hogs at distance and paper or steel targets.

This is my first foray into long range shooting.

Suggestions? </div></div>

One thing to consider when A-B-ing these two scopes... the 4-16 has a .06 mil thick reticle and the 6-24 has a .04. If you want to shoot itty-bitty things, the 6-24 will most likely be better.

John </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Blackops_2</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Does anyone else feel the prices of the 4-16x50 and the 6.5-24x50mm are to close together? 850$ and 900$. Not that they aren't great deals but wouldn't the 4-16x50mm sale more priced at say around 750$? </div></div>

Or maybe they should jack up the price of the 6.5-24 by another $100???
As already pointed out there is very probably little manufacturing cost difference and the close price points out that Vortex is selling these scopes to make them affordable... hopefully affordable quality ffp/illuminated/matching reticle-adjustment scopes that can be had for a ton less money that other quality scopes with the same price point.

Mike

Does anyone know the crosshair thickness on a Nikon Monarch 2.5x10X Mil Dot reticle? I am trying to get a frame of reference to compare the .04 vs .06 mil measurements to.

I have tried the SH google search, yahoo, and the paperwork that came with my scope, but have not been able to find the measurements.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BigJohnson</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Blackops_2</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Does anyone else feel the prices of the 4-16x50 and the 6.5-24x50mm are to close together? 850$ and 900$. Not that they aren't great deals but wouldn't the 4-16x50mm sale more priced at say around 750$? </div></div>

As already pointed out there is very probably little manufacturing cost difference and the close price points out that Vortex is selling these scopes to make them affordable... hopefully affordable quality ffp/illuminated/matching reticle-adjustment scopes that can be had for a ton less money that other quality scopes with the same price point.

Mike </div></div>

It's not like i want the prices to go up and yes i realize that the cost difference between manufacturing the two are little. What i'm saying is if i'm looking at the 4-16x50mm and then see that i can pay just 50$ more and have the 6.5-24x50mm then i'm going to take the 6.5-24x50mm, idk i just wish they were farther apart. Mainly because i don't wanna shell out 850+ when the next scope in line under the PST is 2.5-10x44mm for 600$.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bmarc69</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think they are still a good deal at $850. Don't tell Vortex or they will be $950 and $1000.lol </div></div>

Don't get me wrong they're fantastic for the price range i just wish there was more separation between the two. Because the 2.5-10x44mm is a good bit lower in price comparison to either one.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Blackops_2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What i'm saying is if i'm looking at the 4-16x50mm and then see that i can pay just 50$ more and have the 6.5-24x50mm then i'm going to take the 6.5-24x50mm</div></div>

Interesting. We think very differently. I look for the scope that fits my need. These two scopes, although seemingly close, are different enough to warrant their own unique niche. Price is NOT the factor that would determine the scope for me.

John

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jrob300</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Blackops_2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What i'm saying is if i'm looking at the 4-16x50mm and then see that i can pay just 50$ more and have the 6.5-24x50mm then i'm going to take the 6.5-24x50mm</div></div>

Interesting. We think very differently. I look for the scope that fits my need. These two scopes, although seemingly close, are different enough to warrant their own unique niche. Price is NOT the factor that would determine the scope for me.

John </div></div>

I guess i didn't think about it that way point taken. Just wish they were priced a little more apart i guess. I'm looking at picking one up for my SPR that i'm going to build, and while my need for 300-500 yard shooting is no more than a 4-16x50mm, i would go ahead and spend the 50$ extra just to have the extra magnification because they're so close in price.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Blackops_2</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jrob300</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Blackops_2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What i'm saying is if i'm looking at the 4-16x50mm and then see that i can pay just 50$ more and have the 6.5-24x50mm then i'm going to take the 6.5-24x50mm</div></div>

John </div></div>

I guess i didn't think about it that way point taken. Just wish they were priced a little more apart i guess. I'm looking at picking one up for my SPR that i'm going to build, and while my need for 300-500 yard shooting is no more than a 4-16x50mm, i would go ahead and spend the 50$ extra just to have the extra magnification because they're so close in price.</div></div>

Keep in mind that the 6-24 is slightly heavier, longer, and has a bit less travel.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Blackops_2</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BigJohnson</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Blackops_2</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Does anyone else feel the prices of the 4-16x50 and the 6.5-24x50mm are to close together? 850$ and 900$. Not that they aren't great deals but wouldn't the 4-16x50mm sale more priced at say around 750$? </div></div>

Mike </div></div>

It's not like i want the prices to go up and yes i realize that the cost difference between manufacturing the two are little. What i'm saying is if i'm looking at the 4-16x50mm and then see that i can pay just 50$ more and have the 6.5-24x50mm then i'm going to take the 6.5-24x50mm, idk i just wish they were farther apart. Mainly because i don't wanna shell out 850+ when the next scope in line under the PST is 2.5-10x44mm for 600$.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bmarc69</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think they are still a good deal at $850. Don't tell Vortex or they will be $950 and $1000.lol </div></div>

Don't get me wrong they're fantastic for the price range i just wish there was more separation between the two. Because the 2.5-10x44mm is a good bit lower in price comparison to either one. </div></div>I think you are looking at this incorrectly as you are comparing a FFP scope(4-16 or 6-24) price to a SFP scope(2.5-10)price. If you look at the SFP 4-16 it sells for $699 while the 2.5-10 is $599.

Hopefully this helps a little.

Scott

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mattj</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Blackops_2</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jrob300</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Blackops_2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What i'm saying is if i'm looking at the 4-16x50mm and then see that i can pay just 50$ more and have the 6.5-24x50mm then i'm going to take the 6.5-24x50mm</div></div>

John </div></div>

I guess i didn't think about it that way point taken. Just wish they were priced a little more apart i guess. I'm looking at picking one up for my SPR that i'm going to build, and while my need for 300-500 yard shooting is no more than a 4-16x50mm, i would go ahead and spend the 50$ extra just to have the extra magnification because they're so close in price.</div></div>

Keep in mind that the 6-24 is slightly heavier, longer, and has a bit less travel. </div></div>

AND has a 6x bottom, that for some who hunt, may be just a little too much.

John

Does ANYONE have these in stock right now......? I would like to order one but I know there was a delay as some bugs were worked out (or at least that's what Optics Planet told me today, they also said they were expecting them in today but they didn't show so now they are not expecting them until the 14th of February) I just want to order one!

There's a long waiting list. Doesn't appear to be as long for the SFP but either way, your'e probably going to have to pre-order and wait as it seems pretty much everywhere has the first shipments coming in already spoken for.

Finally got mine!

I know, I know... you guys probably all have yours and you're tired of hearing about the Vortex Viper PST's, but I finally got mine and it worked out prefect.

I ordered it June 16, 2010, and then they went on back order. At the time I ordered it I got a 10% discount (some coupon thing I got from the place I purchased it from). I've kept in touch with them, checking on the back order every couple of months or so. Well last week I checked again and the lady apologized for the delay and said if I still wanted it she'd knock another 10% off the total. Needless to say I didn't turn her down. A day later I get an email saying it's shipped and as of this moment I have it in hand!

Not sure how good of a deal I got (if at all), but it sure felt like a good deal! I paid $688.49 for the 4-16x50 FFP EBR-1 MOA model. Not seeing it listed anywhere else right now for less than $850, and I don't recall it being any less than $850 when I was looking last summer, either.

It's still going to be a while before I even get to test it out on my new Weatherby 300 WSM, but I can't wait! Looking forward to this.
laugh.gif

Glad you got your unit. Do not feel bad, I have three of them on order. Right now I have one in each size and soon plan on ordering another in the 6-24x50 FFP M.O.A.

Oh the waiting is killing me. LOL

We just mounted 2 of them on our SP and are heading out tomorrow to get settings and see how they perform out to 1000 yards. Great scope from initial inspection but.... I know but there is always a but. I'd have preferred not having the lighted reticle. It's a great scope and really how much will that be used? The other thing that hopefully will go away is both of them had what looked like a small flake of paint or dust that moved around inside the scope. It's not a biggie since I didn't even notice it until my son mentioned seeing one in his.

Hope tomorrows final test is as good as our initial ones today. Great scope for the money so far.

Topstrap

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> It's a great scope and really how much will that be used? </div></div>

I'm shooting a match with a night stage with mine in two weeks. No illumination would probably have been a deal breaker for me, so I'm glad they have it.

I purchased the 4-16X50 SFP mil/mil from Scott at LO. I got it in about a month because I didn't feel like waiting for the FFP. After receiving it about a 10 days ago, mounted it and took it to the range. I am impressed with this scope, no issues with it whatsoever. It might be late but it's worth the wait.

I've got one in 4-16x50mm ffp. I ordered on Friday March 4th and received it last week on March 10th from Weby Shops.

I shot it some on Saturday. First impressions are good. Only box tested it to 10 MOA in every direction @ 100 yards on 16x and it tracked perfectly and hit right on the reticle 10 MOA marks while holding zero. I didn't actually measure anything yet.

Seems I lost some positive feel in the illumination knob as it is more "mushy" like after working it a bit. Turrets feel great although there is a very slight difference in feel between the elevation and windage turrets.

More to come......

DSC01576.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BBsteel</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

DSC01576.jpg
</div></div>

Um... I think your rifle has a leak.
laugh.gif

John

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jrob300</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Um... I think your rifle has a leak.
laugh.gif

</div></div>
Well played sir... well played.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BBsteel</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've got one in 4-16x50mm ffp. I ordered on Friday March 4th and received it last week on March 10th from Weby Shops.

I shot it some on Saturday. First impressions are good. Only box tested it to 10 MOA in every direction @ 100 yards on 16x and it tracked perfectly and hit right on the reticle 10 MOA marks while holding zero. I didn't actually measure anything yet.

Seems I lost some positive feel in the illumination knob as it is more "mushy" like after working it a bit. Turrets feel great although there is a very slight difference in feel between the elevation and windage turrets.

More to come......

DSC01576.jpg
</div></div>

Mr. Steel...

As a fellow Minnesota yote popper... Would you recommend this optic for our chosen winter past time? OR... If I bought one of these, should I mount it on my long range target rig?

Jealous of you guys with your 4-16x50 FFP models in already, still waiting on mine (though I only ordered it about 2 weeks ago) and waiting on the Spuhr mount as well but that should be in next week. Just got my TRG22 so I am really itching to get some glass on it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mn_Shooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Mr. Steel...

As a fellow Minnesota yote popper... Would you recommend this optic for our chosen winter past time? OR... If I bought one of these, should I mount it on my long range target rig?

</div></div>

If you're into 4 power on the low side I see no reason not for a nice day time field hunting optic. The glass really is quite nice on these and rate in line or better with my VX3's and 4200's.

Personally, this scope will stay on a gun meant for a little longer range for me. It may end up on a .243 AI bolt gun meant jsut for that. I have this DPMS Sweet 16 set up for p-dog shooting this spring. I defintely see a 2.5-10x44 PST riding around my yote hunting rigs in the future. They are light enough, built strong enough and 10 power is all I need to get out there and shoot well with. With the clear glass, hunting in the full moon will be no problem and with the settings on the illuminated ret I should be able to go low enough to not get any blur as I can with this one (tested that under this months moon before the snow melted). Then again, I may wait for the HS series to come out so I don't have to worry about my turrets turning on me going in and out of the truck from spot to spot. Plus, if you paint them, Vortex will still warranty them!