Weather flow change FYI

drarin

Private
Minuteman
Jul 2, 2018
I recently purchased a weather flow meter from amazon and it did not perform as expected when linked up to strelok. I sent the company an email and was informed that the newest versions of the WF unit no longer have an onboard compass. It relies on the phone compass. Therefor mounting a WF meter in a vane is now pointless, unless you also mount your phone in the vane as well. I expressed my disappointment and they offered to send me one of the older models in exchange. So FYI, if you plan to purchase a weather flow please contact the company and request an older version if they still have them. I am hoping they rethink their decision to ditch the onboard compass, as doing so has made the unit exceedingly less useful for precision shooting.

Update. Weatherflow did indeed send me an “old model” replacement. This unit had a wonderful feature that displayed the wind speed as 10+mph when the turbine wasn’t moving at all. Awesome. I sent that unit back to WF and my original unit back to amazon. I’m done trying to get these things to work. I bit the bullet and ordered a kestrel like I probably should have from the start. I hope WF gets their product straightened out. In THEORY it could be a perfect companion to a smart phone ballistics app. Oh well.