• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

We're not going to make it

Re: We're not going to make it

"Lt. Loux says his department has a mandatory arrest policy when it comes to domestic violence calls, so someone had to go to jail."

Shoulda took the grand daughter for hitting her grandmother. WTF is the world coming to?

" She just went on and on and I just got so upset, I got up and slapped her across the face," she told 10 Connects, "She grabbed my wrists and I couldn't get out of it and she let one go and she punched me in the cheek here.""

Thats crap, we had a mandintory arrest policey regarding DV also. We applied common sinse, it never came back to bite me.

No law is BLACK AND WHITE. There is always wiggle room.

Worse case, or a case of HAD TO arrest, grandma could have taken to a friends house and issued a summons. Or since it was grandma's house and grandaughter was visiting to use the computer, Grandaughter would have been sent home and if you had to, issue Grandma a summons which would have probably been dismissed before her first court date.

Bust at least the didnt tase grandma.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kraigWY</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
No law is BLACK AND WHITE. There is always wiggle room
</div></div>

+1 on the wiggle room....common sense can go a loong ways, when they have it.

I personally think that anyone who commits a battery should be locked up. Perhaps I'm in the minority here, but I don't really care. The "girl" is 18 years old.

I think an adult who gets way enough out of line should expect some remedial dental work, Mandibular rearrangement or rhino adjustment

The times have witnessed the decline in a sound practice where people were more cautious in their words and actions. I would not be surprised to find the little shit was not coy about no longer being "a child".

I didn't miss your point DZ, in suggesting she too should have been locked up.

They better send an ambulance for the kid when they come after me. My family has always believed in "spare the rod and spoil the child".

Both of our daughters are closer to 40 than to 30. And I'll gaurantee you they can both tell you when their last spanking from me was and what it was over.

I don't believe in BEATING a kid. But if they act up they will know what a belt feels like on their butt. My grandkids are 5, 10, and 15. Just ask them. They may get out of hand at home. But not here.

18 is not a kid. When I was 18, I was wearing a uniform and serving my country. If someone, even my own family, decided to bust me in the mouth, rather than hit them myself, I'd call the police and let them deal with it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Downzero</div><div class="ubbcode-body">18 is not a kid. When I was 18, I was wearing a uniform and serving my country. If someone, even my own family, decided to bust me in the mouth, rather than hit them myself, I'd call the police and let them deal with it.</div></div>

DZ. What should granny have done?

Im a 4o year old,5.10, 190lbs man. My mother is 4.10, 90lbs... if I cussed at her like that she would still slap me in the mouth and I would damm well deserve it...

Age doesnt come into it... Respect for your elders does.... That 18 year old had no respect for her grandmother.. she damm well deserved a slap.

I have boys at home.. if they cuss me they get a slap... Fuck that PC bullshit.. thats what has this world in the sorry state its in..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Downzero</div><div class="ubbcode-body">18 is not a kid. When I was 18, I was wearing a uniform and serving my country. If someone, even my own family, decided to bust me in the mouth, rather than hit them myself, I'd call the police and let them deal with it. </div></div>

Even if you deserved it would you ?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Downzero</div><div class="ubbcode-body">18 is not a kid. When I was 18, I was wearing a uniform and serving my country. If someone, even my own family, decided to bust me in the mouth, rather than hit them myself, I'd call the police and let them deal with it. </div></div>

So they couldn't own a gun, lose any clearance they have, possibly their job, and have problems being hired later. My family politics are peace through mutually assured destruction now that we're all adults. Thankfully it's not threatened public and legal destruction like in yours. "Hit me and I'll sue!" Come now.

Only pussies who can't fight dial 911. If grandma hits me I'm taking a pipe to her old ass.
mad.gif

I wish my Gandmothers were still here to cuff me about the cabeza from time to time, though I can't remember either ever doing so... I can barely imagine being impolite, let alone swearing at them. Both have been gone for many years now. I dearly miss them both.

They did what Grandmothers are best at; loving their grandkids, much like this poor woman in Largo did, offering her home to her troubled, foul mouthed, miscreant, brat grandchild.

Imagine the power of the slap rendered to the 18 year old "adult". A fearsome blow delivered by a 73 year old woman.

It would be nice if Police had the discretion to scare the crap out of the "teen" while politely allowing Grandma to cool down with a polite warning.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Im a 4o year old,5.10, 190lbs man. My mother is 4.10, 90lbs... if I cussed at her like that she would still slap me in the mouth and I would damm well deserve it...</div></div>

My mother would have told me to come closer so she could slap me...and I would have complied.

Used to think it was a 'self correcting problem".

Unfurtunately the MF'ers will probably take us with them while they are probing the limits of terminal velocity.

Greg

18 year old cuses at 73 year old woman, 73 year old slaps 18 year old, 18 year old punches her in response; and grandma goes to jail? WTF? Sounds to me like the instigating party was the young woman. I'm a near 30 year old married man with an advanced education and my own business; my mother still slaps me about twice a year for being stupid. Can't recall ever thinking to call the police on her. Sounds like grandpa needs to give that little bitch a reason to call the police. As my father said to me when I was young "go ahead and call the police, by the time the get here, you're going to need them; I'll go to jail with a smile, knowing you learned your lesson".

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EddieNFL</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Im a 4o year old,5.10, 190lbs man. My mother is 4.10, 90lbs... if I cussed at her like that she would still slap me in the mouth and I would damm well deserve it...</div></div>

My mother would have told me to come closer so she could slap me...and I would have complied. </div></div>

Omg I hated "Go get me the belt"

My best friend growing up threatens to call cos on his dad. Dad went got the phonebook looked up the number handed it long with the phone to his son. But told "I won't stop you from calling, but remember I will be going to jail anyway and you will have fifteen mins with me before they get here and it will be fifteen mins of your life you will never forget." My friend Hung up the phone.

Sounds like the granddaughter needs her add beat talkin to her grandmother like that. Should of arrested the teen n given granny a medal.

Raise your hand to a child it Tx and the least you can expect is a very long painful probing from CPS.
You can most likely bet some local LE depts will cite must arrest ( been witness to a couple honest to goodness real cops on the job in a similar situation who saw through all the fake screaming and wailing, so there's still common sense in the trenches thank God ) even though that isn't what the law says........it's a CYA for the locals and a huge profit center for the courts, who ain't at all shy about bragging about revenues produced.

Government isn't supposed to be a profit center.

It always amazes me that our society wants to discuss why we have fallen so far, why are children are so disruptive, and what we can do to fix it. This is a prime example of it, and why the fix will never come. Being a scoiety governed by laws also requires a degree of common sense on the part of the citizenry. Where is the common sense here, I am sorry, but at the most Grandma should have gotten a summons if action is required, and the teenager should have taken the ride.

Largo PD tried to hire me years ago when I got out of college at Florida State, and even then I thought that Department was a joke, now it just confirms what I already knew. If one of my officers had called me with that nonsense, they would have had an ass chewin from me for not using their god given brain.

Of course read the first comment on the web site, and it tells you all you need to know about Largo's citizens.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It always amazes me that our society wants to discuss why we have fallen so far, why are children are so disruptive, and what we can do to fix it.</div></div>

Indeed. Every time I see a five or six year old child screaming at their now distraught and thoroughly cowed mother in the grocery store - which happens two or three times per month - I think to myself: One day she'll be crying and asking "What did I do wrong?" on the way to the bail bondsman/morgue/etc. to retrieve the now grown brat who never learned that the whole world doesn't revolve around them and that there are consequences for their actions.
frown.gif

The last time my mother spanked me was the summer after I got out of high school. All I slept in at that time was my under shorts. At 5am she walked around my bed and took the corners of the bottom sheet loose. She rolled me up and sat down in my back and used a house shoe to thoroughly beat my ass.

I still remind her of that every now and then. Now she's 84 and I have to pay her bills and get her groceries and stuff. But I still have to aggrivate her about it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Victor N TN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The last time my mother spanked me was the summer after I got out of high school. All I slept in at that time was my under shorts. At 5am she walked around my bed and took the corners of the bottom sheet loose. She rolled me up and sat down in my back and used a house shoe to thoroughly beat my ass.

I still remind her of that every now and then. Now she's 84 and I have to pay her bills and get her groceries and stuff. But I still have to aggrivate her about it. </div></div>

Exactly! Sounds like she did a pretty fine job of parenting to this observer.

Let me start off with, Judged solely on the fact that the grandmother slapped first then the granddaughter punched I can see how, according to the law the grandmother should have been arrested. She assaulted her granddaughter and her granddaughter defended herself. I was raised with the ideal that no one should be hit/punched/slapped/whipped/etc without a real reason, And I do not see the F word as a reason for physical abuse. I don’t think the granddaughter should have punched the grandmother either. Although I’m not convinced the granddaughter punched her grandmother, I mean can you imagine the damage that would have done? Bruises and breaks happen easily with the elderly..... Something seems fishy....I don't know I was never hit when I was a child and I think I turned out ok.

Grandma should have given the little bitch a good reason to call the cops..

This isnt about the law. It is about the every increasing PC bullshit that is damm well runing our society as we know it.

Its about a bunch of liberal bullshit, sandal wearing assholes attempting to impose their rule on the rest of us... Its about taking away the rights of a parent, or grandparent to discipline an unruly child or grandchild... Its about the very same child/grandchild then thinking that they can do whatever the hell they like, when they like to do with with no consequence at the end of it for them...

My father in law disciplined my son when he is in his charge recently. My son came to me and complained. I gave him a slap for talking back to his granddad... My boy came to me some days later and apologised to me and his grandfather for misbehaving... He is a good boy but knows he will get punished for misbehaving... I dont make any apologies to anyone for having control over my kids... It should happen more often and maybe we wouldnt have the society we do at the moment

Well my daughter has a step-dad that favors his own kid and treats my kid like shit - he grabbed her by the throat and she almost knocked him out (He's old)...

But shew ont' swear around me, she won't cross ANY line around me as she knows I'd put her ass down. I did it once when she was 3 and she has never forgotten (I didn't hurt her physically, probably just scared her more than any thing.)

MY daughter swears on facebook now, Kerching - $1.00 per swear word..

She hasn't sworn since..

Child abuse. IMHO, child abuse is defined as using a child as an excuse for a witch hunt. This is a preferred tactic of control freaks, who will stop at nothing, including decency, in their quest for domination of those over whom they would otherwise enjoy no natural superiority. It is essentially a form of complex social extortion and involuntary servitude; driven mostly by delusions of grandeur amongst social incompetents.

Come the revolution, all this will be resolved in a satisfyingly copacetic manner. Bring it..., Lord...!

While I clearly can't support genocide as a means of societal adjustment; I do have some warm thoughts regarding the application of Occam's Sociological Razor to the basic fabric of the societal structure. A rearrangement in the order of the rungs, as it were...

Suck-asses to the rear..., quite literally...

...Were they should be more effective..., by definition...

Greg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 396chevy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Something seems fishy....I don't know I was never hit when I saw a child and I think I turned out ok. </div></div>

It's your post that is fishy to me. What sort of aversion therapy were you undergoing that hitting you whenever you saw a child was a possible strategy in setting you right? If it's too private, you don't have to answer.

Whether anyone thinks the grandmother was right or not is not the issue really. The point is that it is a natural right to raise your own children. What happens within your family is only subject to interference when there is clearly abuse, really in a case where you are ready to take a child away from their own parents because they pose a physical threat. This sort of societal concern has ZERO to do with an 18yo brat and her grandmother, no matter what grandma did, unless it was say a baseball bat assault from the rear position so the 18yo didn't have ample opportunity to step out of the way, resultingly in-route to the hospital.

There isn't a natural tendency to spank our children when they are wrong because it never worked and didn't get our species where it is today. Recently, it has become cool to think that man is pure of spirit and without consequence or threat of frightening consequence, he will behave. If he does misbehave, he can be rehabilitated with a timeout. Minutes are sufficient for children, days to months for adults. These people become what's known as repeat offenders. Guess why?

Whether you agree or not, allow parents to be parents without fearing lockup. The worst case is some people, well behaved, will have horror stories about how they were spanked as children and it made them better behaved adults. No clear abuse, no deep desire/need to confiscate the child outright? Keep the law out of it. Uncles, brothers, and grandads have the duty of intervening where alcohol or other things may be creating excessive application of otherwise acceptable deeds.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SmokinAce</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just think in 15-20 years kids like this will be running things and it will only get worse from there! </div></div> I doubt kids like this will ever run anything much more complicated than a self-serve car wash.
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SmokinAce</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just think in 15-20 years kids like this will be running things and it will only get worse from there! </div></div>

I bet your parents said the same thing about your generation too.

Look at our guys in Afghanistan and Iraq, many of them are around 20. Looks like they're doing just fine.

Everyone is blaming the kids when in reality the blame should be 50/50 on the parents too. The kid didn't just pop out and decide to be a piece of shit, she's is a product of her environment. If her mother had taught her better I doubt she would have considered saying anything to her Grandmother.

To be sure though, the girl deserved to be slapped and it's bs that her Grandma was arrested over it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eddieo</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Age doesnt come into it... Respect for your elders does.... That 18 year old had no respect for her grandmother.. she damm well deserved a slap </div></div>

Ain't that the truth !!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 396chevy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Let me start off with, Judged solely on the fact that the grandmother slapped first then the granddaughter punched I can see how, according to the law the grandmother should have been arrested. She assaulted her granddaughter and her granddaughter defended herself. I was raised with the ideal that no one should be hit/punched/slapped/whipped/etc without a real reason, And I do not see the F word as a reason for physical abuse. I don’t think the granddaughter should have punched the grandmother either. Although I’m not convinced the granddaughter punched her grandmother, I mean can you imagine the damage that would have done? Bruises and breaks happen easily with the elderly..... Something seems fishy....I don't know I was never hit when I saw a child and I think I turned out ok. </div></div>

You may have turned out fine, and the fact that a proper upbringing that instilled respect for yourself and others has more to do with that than the non use of corporal punishment. Unfortunately with Domestic Violence laws, it is easier to arrest the attacker than to sort through the issue. As a policeman, I feel that I am paid to investigate, because if I weren't then a monkey can take dictation. Though the grandmother slapped the child for repeatably using the F bomb, and I use this term child loosely, the grandduaghter retaliated by punching back. Retaliation is not self defense, as evident to the Departmental Spokesman stating the granddaughter was remorseful for her actions when the officers took her to jail. Had this incident happened between two (2) non related individuals I would be willing to guaranty that the outcome would have been quite different. The sad truth to this, is that the Largo Police Department has religated their officers a zero tolerance policy, not for the service of the community, but for self preservation from vicarious liability. I would be willing to bet a dollar that the Largo Police Department Policy dictated that action. Again why not summons the grandmother, let the granddaugther ride, and let the judge decide. I will state this, that when I was a LEO in Florida many moons ago, the Domestic Violence laws were F*** up. I do not know how much they have changed since their implementation, but when I was working in Florida, a brother and sister could be yanked for DV. Thats just stupid on all counts.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Witch Doctor</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 396chevy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Let me start off with, Judged solely on the fact that the grandmother slapped first then the granddaughter punched I can see how, according to the law the grandmother should have been arrested. She assaulted her granddaughter and her granddaughter defended herself. I was raised with the ideal that no one should be hit/punched/slapped/whipped/etc without a real reason, And I do not see the F word as a reason for physical abuse. I don’t think the granddaughter should have punched the grandmother either. Although I’m not convinced the granddaughter punched her grandmother, I mean can you imagine the damage that would have done? Bruises and breaks happen easily with the elderly..... Something seems fishy....I don't know I was never hit when I was a child and I think I turned out ok. </div></div>

You may have turned out fine, and the fact that a proper upbringing that instilled respect for yourself and others has more to do with that than the non use of corporal punishment. Unfortunately with Domestic Violence laws, it is easier to arrest the attacker than to sort through the issue. As a policeman, I feel that I am paid to investigate, because if I weren't then a monkey can take dictation. Though the grandmother slapped the child for repeatably using the F bomb, and I use this term child loosely, the grandduaghter retaliated by punching back. Retaliation is not self defense, as evident to the Departmental Spokesman stating the granddaughter was remorseful for her actions when the officers took her to jail. Had this incident happened between two (2) non related individuals I would be willing to guaranty that the outcome would have been quite different. The sad truth to this, is that the Largo Police Department has religated their officers a zero tolerance policy, not for the service of the community, but for self preservation from vicarious liability. I would be willing to bet a dollar that the Largo Police Department Policy dictated that action. Again why not summons the grandmother, let the granddaugther ride, and let the judge decide. I will state this, that when I was a LEO in Florida many moons ago, the Domestic Violence laws were F*** up. I do not know how much they have changed since their implementation, but when I was working in Florida, a brother and sister could be yanked for DV. Thats just stupid on all counts. </div></div>

I agree its an F*** up situation all around, I guess I'm placing my faith in the arresting officers to do the right thing. I would think attitude has a lot to do with it. Who was unruly when the officers arrived? Who was screaming? Who was throwing things etc etc I don't know the answers I'm just saying... As for it being retaliation I would also agree but others may not, A slap depending on how hard may be considered by some a physical threat. I would leave the judgment up to the responding offices and court system.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Macduffblame</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> should be 50/50 on the parents</div></div>

Bingo it is all in how they are raised. Many people turn out ok because they are raised by parents that don't let it fly.

In the realm of law enforcement, attitude should have nothing to do with it. Example: if I conduct a traffic stop on an individual, before I exit my car I should have already decided whether the driver will get a ticket or a warning. If I let the attitude of the driver dictate my decision making then I am being unprofessional. Same holds true in this situation, the unruly one, the loudest, the one screaming, those actions alone should not dictate your decision making. Now that individual may incur new charges to answer for if their actions in front of the officer dictate it, but just because someone is crying or screaming should not dictate how an officer does his job. Also, a 73 year old woman verses an 18 year old granddaughter kinda negates the idea there was viable physical threat posed. Did a battery occur, absolutely by both parties. Is it reasonable to take the 73 year old grandmother to jail, that depends, on the information given, I am fairly confident that this as a departmental policy issue. The idea in DV issues are to remove the immediate threat. The granddaughter could have been easily removed since she did not live with the grandmother, she could hae been taken home. Heck both parties could have been give summons to appear in front of a judge if action was needed. Taking grandma to jail, unnecessary.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BugSniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 396chevy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Something seems fishy....I don't know I was never hit when I saw a child and I think I turned out ok. </div></div>

It's your post that is fishy to me. What sort of aversion therapy were you undergoing that hitting you whenever you saw a child was a possible strategy in setting you right? If it's too private, you don't have to answer.

Whether anyone thinks the grandmother was right or not is not the issue really. The point is that it is a natural right to raise your own children. What happens within your family is only subject to interference when there is clearly abuse, really in a case where you are ready to take a child away from their own parents because they pose a physical threat. This sort of societal concern has ZERO to do with an 18yo brat and her grandmother, no matter what grandma did, unless it was say a baseball bat assault from the rear position so the 18yo didn't have ample opportunity to step out of the way, resultingly in-route to the hospital.

There isn't a natural tendency to spank our children when they are wrong because it never worked and didn't get our species where it is today. Recently, it has become cool to think that man is pure of spirit and without consequence or threat of frightening consequence, he will behave. If he does misbehave, he can be rehabilitated with a timeout. Minutes are sufficient for children, days to months for adults. These people become what's known as repeat offenders. Guess why?

Whether you agree or not, allow parents to be parents without fearing lockup. The worst case is some people, well behaved, will have horror stories about how they were spanked as children and it made them better behaved adults. No clear abuse, no deep desire/need to confiscate the child outright? Keep the law out of it. Uncles, brothers, and grandads have the duty of intervening where alcohol or other things may be creating excessive application of otherwise acceptable deeds. </div></div>

Ok first off calm down I meant to say WAS not SAW if you had read my comment more carefully and kept it in context it may have made more sense. And again only because I would not consider it abuse does not mean others wouldn't. It also depends on the context and I do not believe dropping the F-bomb was cause for slapping her. I guess its all different parenting methods. Some people believe they are better today because they were spanked and some people would say they are better off today in-spite of it. Again it depends on the child, not every child will respond to time-outs and not every child will respond to spanking. If they don't respond favorably you cant just spank them more, because with logical progression you would eventually get to child abuse. I know its not black and white but I would try to stay out of the gray area as I have seen it go horribly wrong too many times to temp it. Personally its just not worth it. Oh and I will correct my first post so that no one else gets confused.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Witch Doctor</div><div class="ubbcode-body">In the realm of law enforcement, attitude should have nothing to do with it. Example: if I conduct a traffic stop on an individual, before I exit my car I should have already decided whether the driver will get a ticket or a warning. If I let the attitude of the driver dictate my decision making then I am being unprofessional. Same holds true in this situation, the unruly one, the loudest, the one screaming, those actions alone should not dictate your decision making. Now that individual may incur new charges to answer for if their actions in front of the officer dictate it, but just because someone is crying or screaming should not dictate how an officer does his job. Also, a 73 year old woman verses an 18 year old granddaughter kinda negates the idea there was viable physical threat posed. Did a battery occur, absolutely by both parties. Is it reasonable to take the 73 year old grandmother to jail, that depends, on the information given, I am fairly confident that this as a departmental policy issue. The idea in DV issues are to remove the immediate threat. The granddaughter could have been easily removed since she did not live with the grandmother, she could have been taken home. Heck both parties could have been give summons to appear in front of a judge if action was needed. Taking grandma to jail, unnecessary. </div></div>
Ok let me rephrase instead of attitude use extenuating circumstances. I'm not saying it should dictate your actions but I do believe it should have some impact on them. And the 73yo verses 18yo is highly debatable. Height weight mussel mass could all play a role in determining if there was a physical threat. Just because the 73yo may loose in an all out fight doesn't mean she couldn't do damage. Also I wonder was there a history of this sort of thing? Did the grandmother have intent to go further than just slapping? This issue as well as speeding isn't black and white. The obvious conclusion is that not the 73yo should not have been taken to jail the 18yo should have been removed and both of them should have been summoned to appear before a judge. But life is not that black and white.

You got to be kidding me? Grandma slaps Granddaughter, you hooker up? You're right guys fold up the Flag. This place is gone to Hell!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 396chevy</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Witch Doctor</div><div class="ubbcode-body">In the realm of law enforcement, attitude should have nothing to do with it. Example: if I conduct a traffic stop on an individual, before I exit my car I should have already decided whether the driver will get a ticket or a warning. If I let the attitude of the driver dictate my decision making then I am being unprofessional. Same holds true in this situation, the unruly one, the loudest, the one screaming, those actions alone should not dictate your decision making. Now that individual may incur new charges to answer for if their actions in front of the officer dictate it, but just because someone is crying or screaming should not dictate how an officer does his job. Also, a 73 year old woman verses an 18 year old granddaughter kinda negates the idea there was viable physical threat posed. Did a battery occur, absolutely by both parties. Is it reasonable to take the 73 year old grandmother to jail, that depends, on the information given, I am fairly confident that this as a departmental policy issue. The idea in DV issues are to remove the immediate threat. The granddaughter could have been easily removed since she did not live with the grandmother, she could have been taken home. Heck both parties could have been give summons to appear in front of a judge if action was needed. Taking grandma to jail, unnecessary. </div></div>
Ok let me rephrase instead of attitude use extenuating circumstances. I'm not saying it should dictate your actions but I do believe it should have some impact on them. And the 73yo verses 18yo is highly debatable. Height weight mussel mass could all play a role in determining if there was a physical threat. Just because the 73yo may loose in an all out fight doesn't mean she couldn't do damage. Also I wonder was there a history of this sort of thing? Did the grandmother have intent to go further than just slapping? This issue as well as speeding isn't black and white. The obvious conclusion is that not the 73yo should not have been taken to jail the 18yo should have been removed and both of them should have been summoned to appear before a judge. But life is not that black and white. </div></div>

I believe the answers to what you have asked are actually in the article, the granddaughter was kicked out of catholic school for telling a nun to F*** Off, and the grandmother was quoted as saying,"She kept repeating the F-word to me, about the whole family. She just went on and on and I just got so upset, I got up and slapped her across the face," she told 10 Connects, "She grabbed my wrists and I couldn't get out of it and she let one go and she punched me in the cheek here." Though the physical characteristics of the 18 year old were not described, the ability to maintain control by the 18 year old was. A photograph of the 73 year old was posted, you can see she is a petite lady. Predicated upon those factors, and the Departments Spokesman saying,"If an officer on scene finds probable cause to arrest a person, because they've committed domestic battery, then our policy is a mandatory arrest of that person," said Lt. Loux, "The discretion does not come because the victim does not want to prosecute. It doesn't come because the victim has remorse for calling police." Here you have a strong case of not investigating and taking the side of the complainant caller. Even the Lieutenant's own statement states that little investigation was conducted, since both parties commited the crime of DV, so by the department's own policy both should have taken the ride.

I guess granddaugter will need to get a job and get her own computer.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 396chevy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Ok first off calm down I meant to say WAS not SAW if you had read my comment more carefully and kept it in context it may have made more sense. <snip/> Oh and I will correct my first post so that no one else gets confused. </div></div>

Dude, I can read, and was doing so carefully enough that I caught your typo and found it to be hilarious, enough so to tease you as if you underwent some sort of pedo-aversion behavioral therapy. Lighten up. After all, we're not going to make it.