What are the best barrel cleaning products?

Re: What are the best barrel cleaning products?

I use:
Shooters Choice to remove the carbon fouling

Barnes to remove the copper(this has amonia in it so don't leave sit in the barrel longer than a few min)

And Hoppes solvent to wash out any residue.

I also use a nylon brush during carbon and copper removal.

KT

I use BoreTech products and everyone I shoot with uses BoreTech products.

I have tried many, many others over the years.

BoreTech Eliminator is a good all-round cleaner. They make other, specialized products that work great too. (i.e. Moly Cleaner, Shotgun Cleaner, Rimfire Cleaner, Copper cleaner, carbon cleaner) The Eliminator seems to do it all, with perhaps a little more time taken than the specialized products for specialized situation.

The KG12 removes copper like NOTHING ELSE. It is ammonia free and has little scent. It is too good to be true. If I hadn't tried it and seen for myself what it can do, I wouldn't believe it.

I use mpro7 file st to remove carbon/soot, and tye KG12 for copper. Nylon brush.

I use Wipe Out, Patch Out, Carb Out, and their accelerator. I have very little experience with the others, but my barrels get sparkling clean with very few passes with a cleaning rod. Not sure what else anyone could ask for.

I use a mixture of Butch's Bore Shine (80%) and Kroil (20%). Very effective in dealing with copper and carbon.

After about the 3rd patch, let it sit for 5 minutes or so and your next patch will have the most copper on it.

Use a brush only if you have to.

When the patches are clean, flush with denatured alcohol and then a few dry patches. Of course, everyone has their own recipe but this is mine.

I've also been using Wipeout stuff lately. Seems to work alright and is pretty easy to use. No stink. It's like a soap. Thinking about trying the KG products when I use up the rest of the Wipeout, then again maybe not.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: J. Villers</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I know this has to have been discussed before and I searched for it but to no avail. I have a chrome moly barrel and want to get away from hoppes. What do you reccomend </div></div>

What is wrong with or why don't you want to use Hoppe's?

Later, Frank
Bartlein Barrels

Bore Tech Cu2+ Copper remover is extremely good at removing copper without ammonia or other potentially harmful components. It also turns out to be very good at removing carbon, salts, and other residue. However, because it is water-based, I usually follow it with Hoppes, then Kroil, to make sure and get it all out of the bore before finishing with gun oil and dry patches.

I just got my .308 back from Bartlein and 2-3 wet patch/dry patch of Butches Bore Shine cleans it very well. That's what I have on hand and don't see why Hoppes wouldn't work either.

Frank, On a side note-that is one nice barrel! It's amazingly repeatable on CB or CCB and the velocity increase over the SPS with factory or my old batch of reloads is a huge boost with no pessure signs. I know you do a lot of builds-it was the 700 24" MTU with OD AICS and Cerakoted FDE with the FTE brake. It gives me some BFD's (almost one holers "big f'ing deal") according to Gunny Hathcock.

Thanks!

Mark

I doubt anyone can really determine the "best" cleaning products for you, however, rather base your decision off of what products shooters use the "most."

Not saying these are the best, but I use:

Shooters Choice products
KG products

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mark5pt56</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just got my .308 back from Bartlein and 2-3 wet patch/dry patch of Butches Bore Shine cleans it very well. That's what I have on hand and don't see why Hoppes wouldn't work either.

Frank, On a side note-that is one nice barrel! It's amazingly repeatable on CB or CCB and the velocity increase over the SPS with factory or my old batch of reloads is a huge boost with no pessure signs. I know you do a lot of builds-it was the 700 24" MTU with OD AICS and Cerakoted FDE with the FTE brake. It gives me some BFD's (almost one holers "big f'ing deal") according to Gunny Hathcock.

Thanks!

Mark </div></div>

Your welcome Mark!

Guys look to see what the barrel/gun is telling you. It will tell you what it wants and how often it needs to be cleaned etc...

Follow the basic do's and don'ts on cleaning. Like never mix your cleaners together (either in the jar or in the barrel)unless your a chemist and you know how the chemicals are going to react to one another and with the copper and the steel it's a no no!, use a good bore guide, good one piece cleaning rod and never drag a brush back over the crown. Only push the brush breech and out the muzzle if your going to use one. Never back into the barrel from the muzzle end and dragging the brush back into and over the crown. If you do that you will prematurely wear and damage the crown of the barrel.

I use mostly Hoppe's No.9. Once in a while Sweet's 7.62 and Rem. Bore cleaner (now called 40x bore cleaner). Depends on if I'm in a hurry to clean the gun etc... I only use the Parker Hale type jags and patches. I don't use a brush at all. Haven't used a brush since the late 80's.

Remember this. Just because the guy next to you cleans his gun differently doesn't mean he is doing it better or isn't wrecking stuff. If you have a system that works for you and your not wrecking the barrel, I've got nothing to say!

Later, Frank
Bartlein Barrels

I have been making my own "Ed's Red" for years and it works great. It is made by mixing equal amounts of Dexron tranny fluid, kerosene, mineral spirits and acetone. So for instance, if you want to make a 1 gallon batch, use 1 quart of each. If you google "ed's Red" you can find a very detailed article on mixing, storing, why it works, etc.

Is scrubbing with a nylon brush absolutely required? I generally just jag and patch a bunch of times until they come out relatively clean first with Hoppe's #9 for carbon then with their slow working Benchrest formula sometimes leaving it in overnight to remove more of the copper.

I also bought some Kroil but the retro 1920s can scares me and I am not sure if it is as effective as my Hoppes stuff.

Has anyone used a Hawkeye to check what their cleaners are doing. It is one large expense, but with it you know what, how much, and how long. The one I use is not mine, but it is available when ever I want to use it. I don't know if I love it, or hate it.

I use Bore Tech, TM, Kroil, and Ed's Red. I use only Brownells brushes and do use Iosso on carbon. I have not seen that the "carbon" cleaners do a whole lot on the first 6" of the barrel. I also don't shoot too many rounds before cleaning, but my barrels shoot better clean.

My $.02, and all that.

I clean with Wipeout and their accelerator twice a year. I tried using a bore solvent and nylon brush once after using the Wipeout and got nothing out of it.

I use the liquid Wipe Out Patch Out stuff. I've never used their accelerator, but have had good luck without it. I've not used anywhere near all of the cleaning solvents out there, but out of what I have used I like this stuff the best. I have no complaints.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DHD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Has anyone used a Hawkeye to check what their cleaners are doing. It is one large expense, but with it you know what, how much, and how long. The one I use is not mine, but it is available when ever I want to use it. I don't know if I love it, or hate it.

I use Bore Tech, TM, Kroil, and Ed's Red. I use only Brownells brushes and do use Iosso on carbon. I have not seen that the "carbon" cleaners do a whole lot on the first 6" of the barrel. I also don't shoot too many rounds before cleaning, but my barrels shoot better clean.

My $.02, and all that. </div></div>

We've got one here at work that costs a few thousand bucks. Sometimes if I have my gun here at work and the way I clean my guns I have no problem getting the barrel clean.

I've said this before and will say it again. You have to watch your gun. It will tell you what it likes and and how many rounds between cleaning etc...Some barrels like a some fouling in them and might shoot better dirtier then clean.

Depending on the caliber and chamber etc...some barrels might go several hundred rounds between cleanings some might only be able to go 60 rounds between cleaning etc...if you have to clean your barrel after only say 15 rounds in order to get accuracy back then you have problems with it.

Later, Frank
Bartlein Barrels

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Brutas</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ed's red was fine for anything made in the 1800's shooting black powder. </div></div>

How did you know? Busted I am. Winchester Highwall, 45/70, 32" Badger, 20/1 Jones 525 grain cast, 60 grains Swiss. Of course, the fouling is minimal and I use the Ed's Red as a final wipe as much as anything else.
grin.gif

i use sharp-shoot-r bore foam, after it brought back accuracy in a BADLY abused remington 7mm mag barrel. these pics were after a 2 hour soak. i used to use hoppes no.9 after every range trip on this gun, but the accuracy started to fall off and i tried this just before i was gonna buy a new barrel.

2 hour soak
IMAG0081.jpg

one more soak after 1 hour
IMAG0082.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: turbo54</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The KG12 removes copper like NOTHING ELSE. It is ammonia free and has little scent. It is too good to be true. If I hadn't tried it and seen for myself what it can do, I wouldn't believe it.

I use mpro7 file st to remove carbon/soot, and tye KG12 for copper. Nylon brush.</div></div>

this...

also wipeout foam and gunslick foam are quite good..

but i use bronze brushes..

i have a few...

Butche's Bore Shine and Kroil! And every once in a great while-WipeOut just to see what's going on. Patches mostly,brush very seldom.

Can someone tell me if scrbbing with a brush (either nylon or bronze) absolutely necessary? Or can solvent soaked patches be sufficient in properly cleaning a barrel?

I generally use Hoppes #9 & Hoppes Benchrest after every 60-80 rounds. Keep patchin with the jag till they come out with very minimal residue. It takes maybe 10 or so patches.

I've heard scrubbing can cause premature wear in a barrel so i've been avoiding it thus far.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Musef</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Can someone tell me if scrbbing with a brush (either nylon or bronze) absolutely necessary? Or can solvent soaked patches be sufficient in properly cleaning a barrel?

I generally use Hoppes #9 & Hoppes Benchrest after every 60-80 rounds. Keep patchin with the jag till they come out with very minimal residue. It takes maybe 10 or so patches.

I've heard scrubbing can cause premature wear in a barrel so i've been avoiding it thus far. </div></div>

It would seem that if the guy who makes some of the most accurate barrels around has sworn off brushes, then is probably good advice. It's hard to argue against someone with Frank's experience.

I find that my rifles shoot the most consistently and predictably with cooper fouling/coating but without carbon fouling. Thus, I usually clean with nylon brushes, patches and Bore Tech C4 carbon remover only.

When my rifle's accuracy deteriorates significantly, which after more than 500 rounds, then I use a cooper solvent such as Butch's bore shine.

I keep the chamber completely dry without oil. I only use Kroil oil in the barrel if I plan to store it for a long time, but degrease it before firing again.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: buggsb</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Musef</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Can someone tell me if scrbbing with a brush (either nylon or bronze) absolutely necessary? Or can solvent soaked patches be sufficient in properly cleaning a barrel?

I've heard scrubbing can cause premature wear in a barrel so i've been avoiding it thus far. </div></div>

It would seem that if the guy who makes some of the most accurate barrels around has sworn off brushes, then is probably good advice. It's hard to argue against someone with Frank's experience. </div></div>

Like I said earlier. If you use a brush only push breech to muzzle and all the way out. Never reverse the brush in the barrel. Also after the brush exits the bore, unscrew the brush and pull your cleaning rod back thru with out the brush. Dragging the brush back into the bore over the crown can prematurely wear/damage the crown.

Also using a brush when you see those small black carbon particles they are very hard and lay/hang on the brush. These carbon deposits are very hard and can/will scratch the bore.

If using a brush go at least one caliber smaller and wrap a patch around it like you roll a cigarette.

If the patch weather on a brush or jag tip, if the patch is squeaking/squealing going down the bore it's to tight. The dirt and carbon particles have no where to go.

All I use is a Parker Hale type cleaning jag, cut my patches to fit properly and roll the patches around the jag like a cigarette like I said earlier. This will give you a lot of surface area for the patch to clean and will keep the tip of your cleaning rod centered going down the bore and using a bore guide will give very minimal cleaning rod contact in the bore as well.

Poking the patch in the center the patch will not fold evenly and help keep the tip of the rod centered going down the bore.

Later, Frank
Bartlein Barrels

In my quest to never use a brush again, I have quite the selection of cleaning products now. Most recently is the KG stuff. Their carbon remover doesn't work very well IMO (stock Savage SS barrel), so still looking for that super carbon remover. Good'ol Hoppes removed carbon that the KG didn't. Their copper remover is amazingly strong and works great.

So 50/50 BBS and Kroil really ok to mix together?

While were on this topic, I have been running a patch with alky on it thru the barrel then a few dry patches prior to shooting my gun to help remove any oily residue. This gives me no noticeable POI change at 100yds BUT is this hard on the barrel?