• It's Hunting Season: Show Us Your Rack!

Hunting season is finally here and we want to see pictures of your rack! Show us what you've got and we'll throw in a few t-shirts to people that send pics 👀

View thread
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Rifle Scopes What's the deal with Leopold Mark 8 3.5-25x56

shnipöw

Private
Minuteman
Jul 20, 2020
Hey guys,

Does anyone have an opinion on this scope? I can barely find any reviews on it. I'm looking specifically at the one with the H59 reticle. I was offered a deal to get it for less than the cost of a Schmidt & Bender PM2, from a private seller. What makes me interested is that it is marketed as a scope with better Field of View, especially on lower magnification.

It seems like it's been discontinued according to some forums online? Is this true? They seem to have the one with the Tremor reticle on their website still though.

I find it strange that so little is out there on this scope. It makes me hesitate. The seller claims that it is considered superior to the PM2, anyone who can second that?

Thanks guys.

people always say things are so wonderful when they are trying to sell something If It was that great why are they selling it . Lightly used is another term to look at with skepticism yea I lightly bashed it into a tree , or I only took it out of the garage on special occasions , or only ever driven on the highway sure they did . unless you know those people and how they drove the car or shot that gun or owed that scope and treated it take it with a grain of salt .believe 1/2 of what you see and far less what you are told . It may be a nice scope have you gone to look at one anywhere ? if you did what did you think ?

Last edited:
Reactions: shnipöw
It is a solid scope but I wouldn’t put it with the now tier one optics personally. I really liked the scope I had it was H59 as well. I had one and truly enjoyed it and only sold it a few years ago to move to standardize reticles across rifles. Have you held one or looked through one and a Schmidt?

With Leupold the mk5 seems to have been marked their scope of the future which makes sense based on the features and price. The Mk8 also carries an insane price tag which is likely why you see few reviews and ownership compared t other brands/models.

As far as the marketing it sounds like your fov observation is correct but you’re also comparing a 3.5x scope to a 5x scope that’s known for low power tunneling so the Mk8 should win the low end fov.

just my 2 cents, solid scope I’m not going to say the best but depends on your eyes and needs.

Last edited:
The Mark 8 M5C2 is a great scope. You don’t see many reviews on it on this site because most people here don’t like Leupold. The glass is excellent and turrets are pretty good. I have an H59 and have used it out to 2500 yards. It has never given me an issue and always tracked true.

To me, optically it's lower than the Theta but on par with the Schmidt. You won’t be disappointed in the scope unless you want illumination. The M5B2 turrets were terrible and that’s the one that comes with illumination.

The Mark 8 M5C2 is a great scope. You don’t see many reviews on it on this site because most people here don’t like Leupold. The glass is excellent and turrets are pretty good. I have an H59 and have used it out to 2500 yards. It has never given me an issue and always tracked true.

To me, optically it's lower than the Theta but on par with the Schmidt. You won’t be disappointed in the scope unless you want illumination. The M5B2 turrets were terrible and that’s the one that comes with illumination.

Interesting. Now that you mentioned it, I don't see much love for Leupold. Price maybe? Or price for illumination is crazy high considering others are doing it on lower priced scopes.

They're solid with the c series turrets. The b series had enough flaws even a Leupold rep admitted they had issues.

So if they're a "squeeze to turn" = bad, "unlock at zero to turn" = good.

They're tier 1, but they're dated. The mark 5 5-25 can generally hang since it's a way newer design and coatings and glass have only gotten better.

Sadly Leupold let's their Mark series generally stagnate. I feel like they could get a mark 8 4-32 to market at a $3500 price point if they wanted to, but they won't because they can't sell them at $5500.

Reactions: supermo26
It is a solid scope but I wouldn’t put it with the now tier one optics personally. I really liked the scope I had it was H59 as well. I had one and truly enjoyed it and only sold it a few years ago to move to standardize reticles across rifles. Have you held one or looked through one and a Schmidt?

With Leupold the mk5 seems to have been marked their scope of the future which makes sense based on the features and price. The Mk8 also carries an insane price tag which is likely why you see few reviews and ownership compared t other brands/models.

As far as the marketing it sounds like your fov observation is correct but you’re also comparing a 3.5x scope to a 5x scope that’s known for low power tunneling so the Mk8 should win the low end fov.

just my 2 cents, solid scope I’m not going to say the best but depends on your eyes and needs.

Good to hear your opinions on it since you had one. I think it comes down to what I loose if I pick one with better fov. From what I've heard there is always a trade-off when increasing the fov, however I don't know specifically what that would be haha.

Yes, I have a Schmidt PMII at the moment, I have however never got the chance to look through a Leupold Mark 8. I think the image is good withthe Schmidt. Have a vortex viper too. A lot better fov on the vortex, hence my concern.

however, for fast target acquisition on short range I have an aimpoint micro I am planning on mounting above the scope. So maybe I don't need to zoom out so much.. Just thinking out loud now... :)

I'd rather have the real world tested tried and true S&B, to be honest. Can't afford either so I'll just lolly gag around with my Sightmark Pinnacle and stand in the corner.
people always say things are so wonderful when they are trying to sell something If It was that great why are they selling it . Lightly used is another term to look at with skepticism yea I lightly bashed it into a tree , or I only took it out of the garage on special occasions , or only ever driven on the highway sure they did . unless you know those people and how they drove the car or shot that gun or owed that scope and treated it take it with a grain of salt .believe 1/2 of what you see and far less what you are told . It may be a nice scope have you gone to look at one anywhere ? if you did what did you think ?

Word. Good point.

No unfortunately i haven't gotten the chance to look at one. The seller is far away too.

Pretty new on this site... What's the reason so many dislike Leupold here?

Good to know about the M5B2 turrets specifically.

Pretty new on this site... What's the reason so many dislike Leupold here?

Good to know about the M5B2 turrets specifically.

I think you’ll find on this site there are many that like Leupold it’s just personal preference. I would say some common themes I’ve seen for unfavorable views on them are:

-limited reticle selection
-outrageous pricing for feature set
-additional cost for illuminated models
-limited reticle options with illumination
-bad experiences with mk4 and Mk6 lines

Before the mk5 I think there were many more modern scope offerings for lower pricing so it don’t make sense to go with Leupold unless a shooter preferred their scopes.

Reactions: supermo26
I think you’ll find on this site there are many that like Leupold it’s just personal preference. I would say some common themes I’ve seen for unfavorable views on them are:

-limited reticle selection
-outrageous pricing for feature set
-additional cost for illuminated models
-limited reticle options with illumination
-bad experiences with mk4 and Mk6 lines

Before the mk5 I think there were many more modern scope offerings for lower pricing so it don’t make sense to go with Leupold unless a shooter preferred their scopes.

Gotcha, thanks for clarification.
I was pretty surprised about the price of the Mark 8, especially here in Europe. It's like twice the price of PMII from what i've seen in some cases.

Gotcha, thanks for clarification.
I was pretty surprised about the price of the Mark 8, especially here in Europe. It's like twice the price of PMII from what i've seen in some cases.

One other consideration: it may be a crime to run something other than a Schmidt in Europe, they may not let you in the range with the Leupold. 😁🤣

I owned one with the C turrets. I think it’s the best LR scope Leupold ever put out. It’s only flaw was the “looking through a straw feeling”. If that doesn’t bother you, it’s a phenomenal scope.

Reactions: Poorboyr
I owned one with the C turrets. I think it’s the best LR scope Leupold ever put out. It’s only flaw was the “looking through a straw feeling”. If that doesn’t bother you, it’s a phenomenal scope.

Could you elaborate a bit on the straw feeling. Do you mean like a tunnel-effect? Is it throughout all the magnification levels?