When do you know pull a barrel

codym

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 17, 2018
New Mexico
The post Frank from Bartlien made about the 308 barrel with like 27k rounds made me wonder if and how people are deciding when it’s time for a new barrel. I always pulled when accuracy goes south and I can’t get it back with deep cleaning or slightly re working the load or if the velocity drops to a point that I can’t keep it stable.

Well I have only truly shot out one barrel and it was velocity that went. I was dumping several grains higher and not getting the velocity I was used too. With that being said I always seem to load the higher nodes and burn barrels faster then I should be.

What I will do moving forward is load like I normally do with a good load and then when accuracy velocity drops I will reevaluate and try and find a slower node that’s accurate and just keep on shooting.

My 6.5 creed barrel went 500 rounds of factory 140 ELD, 200 or so Hornady black, and 1800 140 eld’s at 2830. It got to where I was dumping almost 44grains of H4350 and couldn’t get it to 2830 again.

I should have just done a new whole load worked up but I changed calibers completely and went p 🏳️‍🌈 🐯

Reactions: codym
I have only shot out 1 barrel, it was a 18" SPR AR stainless barrel that easily over 10k on it. It still shot fairly well at 100 yds (1.5" 5 shot groups) but wasn't up to its former level of consistent 0.75" groups. I had also begun to experience increased vertical dispersion when shooting long range.

The definition of "shot out" is really variable based on what your standards are.

Reactions: Modoc and rlsmith1
I shot out a bunch of 6ppc barrels when I was shooting 100yrd BR back in the early 90s. We loaded to pressure warnings and shot 5 shot groups as fast as we could. I was lousy at it, but it was fun, but even I could tell it was over for a barrel as the groups were irretrievably growing.

Everyone tells me they pull 6 br barrels at 2500. I have one at 3500 that can still win a bench match. Only barrel I pulled due to being shot out was a 6.5 cm barrel I bought used on a action. I put 1800 on it in PRS matches in the heat and don't know how many the previous owner shot. It will still shoot good after a cleaning but 50 rounds in and things open up. I have a few around 2500 that I spin on in the off season and use for practice

I'm keeping a close eye on a 6.5 CM Proof SS M24 at 2800 rounds on it? Just last time out, I was down 40 fps from prior speeds but it still shot well in that last outing.

I'll keep watching it but I fear that its going tits up reasonably soon.

Reactions: Kadams1563