Why AI?

Issues with firing assemblies and other such issues.

AIs can fail, just like anything else made by humans.
Well, you're the first to claim parts made by AI have broken and failed. I hope one of these days, I see photos of these failures. The only failure I've ever seen of a firing assembly, was a bad weld on a bolt lever that snapped.

EDIT: I really have to say this part out loud? I'm referring to any modern Accuracy International Rifle, from the AW onward. I'm seriously not considering any AI that doesn't have the firing pin protruding, let alone the PM altogether as frankly no one is using or running them in any capacity due to how rare and valuable they are. So lets be reasonable here... lets say any rifle made after the AW50, for argument's sake. Any rifle still currently in use today.

But I've already iterated this in the AI Photo thread. And yes: when a former Navy SEAL Sniper Instructor with extensive, multi-decade AI experience plus two Irish Snipers tell me directly their experiences with their rifles, I'll believe that over here say from random folks on the internet.

Feel free to take what I share with a grain of salt all you wish.

Last edited:
My only comment to that would be - how relevant is that to any percentage of shooters here on SH?

Who here is buying rifles that need to withstand that kind of punishment?

AI's are awesome, but they are built for a different mission than almost everyone here is buying a rifle for. Nothing wrong with using an AI for these purposes, they are great rifles. But these arguments are pretty silly in today's day and age.

Come up to Idaho for an elk hunt in November where we regularly cross river bottoms and scale cliff faces.

Sure AI has a great history of reliability, but there are customs that see 10k + rounds/year from competitors as well. Aside from Jacob what’s the next highest known round count on an AI? Cause it sure isn’t a military unit putting 10k+ rounds/year on their AI’s.
There are several military units that have unlimited ammo and their own range. Sign your gun out whenever you want to shoot. 10K a week is not unheard of. I have shot 10k in a week before at times. When USG is paying the money, I won't say no.

Issues with firing assemblies and other such issues.

AIs can fail, just like anything else made by humans.

This is disingenuous and I think you know it. The firing pin issue was because AI was forced to sub contract their first production for military contract and the sub contractor decided to change the materials spec all on their own.

This is disingenuous and I think you know it. The firing pin issue was because AI was forced to sub contract their first production for military contract and the sub contractor decided to change the materials spec all on their own.

I'm talking about an issue that happened to my friends AT at a PRS match. Wasn't an issue with the firing pin.

Reactions: MK20
Come up to Idaho for an elk hunt in November where we regularly cross river bottoms and scale cliff faces.

There are several military units that have unlimited ammo and their own range. Sign your gun out whenever you want to shoot. 10K a week is not unheard of. I have shot 10k in a week before at times. When USG is paying the money, I won't say no.

10k a week on one singular gun? That’s impressive. That’s a couple barrels a week. I assume that’s multiple operators sharing one gun?

Reactions: BurtG
I've done exactly that. And at no point did I think to myself "I wish I was lugging around my 19 pound AI." They're good rifles and can be used for hunting (I hunted out of treestands with mine a few times). But they're not as well suited to western hunting as other rifles. And nothing about those western hunts requires an AI.

10k a week on one singular gun? That’s impressive. That’s a couple barrels a week. I assume that’s multiple operators sharing one gun?

No, that is rifle and pistol. My guns. Not sharing. That is the low end too. It was probably higher. We brought 96,000 rounds of just 9mm for 20 guys. This doesn't include the rifle ammo, of which we shot significantly more.

Can you tell us about it? I personally would like to hear how it failed.

It's been many years, I don't remember the exact details. There was about 20 people huddled around trying to fix the issue over 20-30 minutes, and they did get it sorted out.

There's been other threads about AI related issues. AIs can fail just like anything else made by humans.

It's been many years, I don't remember the exact details. There was about 20 people huddled around trying to fix the issue over 20-30 minutes, and they did get it sorted out.

There's been other threads about AI related issues. AIs can fail just like anything else made by humans.
My point is, I've looked for those threads on here. I've researched extensively. There's always someone talking about someone else's rifle that has failed... but no one ever actually shows one that has. The only exception, is the one user who's AX bolt lever weld broke.

So, I'm genuinely hoping to be corrected, and for someone to share any example, or past threads, or anything. Because I too would like to know what parts fail and subsequently, what spare part(s) I should consider getting. All I can share is my own first-hand research...

Reactions: Doctorwho1138
My point is, I've looked for those threads on here. I've researched extensively. There's always someone talking about someone else's rifle that has failed... but no one ever actually shows one that has. The only exception, is the one user who's AX bolt lever weld broke.

So, I'm genuinely hoping to be corrected, and for someone to share any example, or past threads, or anything. Because I too would like to know what parts fail and subsequently, what spare part(s) I should consider getting. All I can share is my own first-hand research...

If you want to sycophantically believe AI parts are immune to failure, go ahead. But that's not reality.

The are great rifles and great systems. But they can and do fail like anything else made by humans.

Reactions: TheOE800
No, that is rifle and pistol. My guns. Not sharing. That is the low end too. It was probably higher. We brought 96,000 rounds of just 9mm for 20 guys. This doesn't include the rifle ammo, of which we shot significantly more.
Go it. From my understanding that isn’t the norm. Also having 96k pistol rounds while impressive doesn’t have much to do with each AI getting 10k rounds thru a singular gun a year the way some top level shooter put thru their custom guns.

Reactions: kthomas
Funny enough the AI Competition Trigger is one of the few rare parts left today that AI does not make themselves, but it is subcontracted from another company that specializes in competition triggers: XTSP Rugged Precision. So all said -- and with consideration of the ASR competition with their trigger failing -- I sincerely and genuinely hope that some day, AI puts out their own competition trigger, made in house, for all their rifle models from the AW onward.

View attachment 8467540

MHSA told me on the phone the other day that the AT-X chassis is made by WinTac rather than by AI.

I’m not sure if he meant AT-XC as well or just the AT-X though.

Last edited:

I personally have snapped a safety lever rendering the rifle inop....

I have also seen and had various mag issues.

2 dogshit comp triggers

Snapped a mag release lever

Melted a fp tip with a blown primer on my axmc before I converted everything to sfp....

Eh does this count? We were popping primers in high pressure cartridges (which always has a strong risk of damaging the firing pin) in Surgeon actions 10 years ago too.

It stopped me from putting rounds down range when I needed to so you tell me? It's also why I try to have a spare bolt with me at all times cuz the hole in the bolt face was also jacked until I got home with half a welded price of primer in there...

90 seconds of searching and that included a piss break somewhere in between.

I personally have snapped a safety lever rendering the rifle inop....

I have also seen and had various mag issues.

2 dogshit comp triggers

Snapped a mag release lever

Melted a fp tip with a blown primer on my axmc before I converted everything to sfp....
R u sure.

Cause things spontaneously break around me

And between a axsa I shouldn’t have traded. And (2) atx currently. Zero failures.

Maybe it’s because I baby them

D19C5A4F-945B-4431-8BA6-F58F13F31316.jpeg

Well that's no surprise that trigger is garbage lol
Sirrrrrr they just need to be flushed every now and then 😂😂😂

Side note after scrolling through:
Fuck me is this thread insane. It’s like a bunch of high school kids arguing over which SOCOM unit is the most bestest.
(Pretty sure I already posted that here but it needs repeating cause fuckin hell this is getting gayer than the opening ceremony at the Olympics.

Seriously though….

Buy an AI or don’t. Why? Because you’re a civilian that wants one. That’s it. End of discussion.

People who shoot don’t argue which shit is better cause they’re too busy shooting what works. Those that argue are too busy sitting in piles of debt on items they barely shoot.

Holiday Inn Express Tip of the Day: shoot more, argue less, buy what you want, and if you buy an AI, go snag an elite sand cause it will add points to your overall.

Sirrrrrr they just need to be flushed every now and then 😂😂😂

Side note after scrolling through:
Fuck me is this thread insane. It’s like a bunch of high school kids arguing over which SOCOM unit is the most bestest.
(Pretty sure I already posted that here but it needs repeating cause fuckin hell this is getting gayer than the opening ceremony at the Olympics.
IMG_6898.jpeg

Yeah, it is pretty gay.

90 seconds of searching and that included a piss break somewhere in between.

Thank you for reminding me about this one. I'd actually forgotten about it. I think I'm gonna just call Adam At MHSA and ask him what wild things he's seen break over the years... I'd like a more conclusive answer as to what the weak points are on AI rifles as a collective.

Reactions: stanley_white
I'm not its been discussed here in multiple threads ad nauseum... Including the ai reps for years.. ..

Trying to get you to save your energy....Your acting like you telling people something new. We know....
I switched over to the comp triggers on my AT and my MC. I have about 1,000 rounds on each and have experienced no failures.

I must have the luck of the Irish

Reactions: HKSniper11B
So did @M8541Reaper ask him that worked out
He likely shoots a lot more than I do so I would expect a failure or two.

As said by others, nothing is perfect. I am sure that a more highly adjustable trigger would have more problems. I wonder how many of the failures are due to the trigger being adjusted to an unstable point.

It is like all the magazine complaints. The magazines are designed around specific cartridges and not tested with others.

People love to complain about use cases that were untested and blame AI.

And MRADs suck horse dick
Laying down on a flat range at the cadence I shoot I can’t tell a difference, except for that long fucking LOP.
It is like all the magazine complaints. The magazines are designed around specific cartridges and not tested with others.

AI does it to themselves, too though: https://www.snipershide.com/shooting/threads/ai-asxr-300-prc-magazine-issue.7165817

Reactions: Doctorwho1138
He likely shoots a lot more than I do so I would expect a failure or two.

As said by others, nothing is perfect. I am sure that a more highly adjustable trigger would have more problems. I wonder how many of the failures are due to the trigger being adjusted to an unstable point.

@Huskydriver is right… My AXSR trigger did fail on me at just over 4,000rds (AZ meth dust), but I never cleaned it, so that’s absolutely on me. I also never adjusted the trigger, so it still remains set the way it came from AI. I don’t blame my trigger issue on AI.

As for the magazine complaints, the 300PRC complaint is real. My AXSR was purchased from MH as a 300PRC (just as they are both listed and numbered from AI and stocked by EO an MH). It came with the plastic baseplate 300 magazine (I forget the model number). That magazine, or really all of their 300 magazines don’t tend to like 300PRC. They know this but do nothing to resolve it. I blame AI for that.

However I did just send my 300 mags off to PWS for the tweaking and new follower so it runs with 300PRC as it should. They’re on the way back to me so we’ll see how that goes. I shouldn’t have to send factory mags to a third party so they can run a factory offering.

All that aside, it’s a great rifle system and I don’t regret getting it. Every manufacturer has their issues here an there (some less or more than others).

@Huskydriver is right… My AXSR trigger did fail on me at just over 4,000rds (AZ meth dust), but I never cleaned it, so that’s absolutely on me. I also never adjusted the trigger, so it still remains set the way it came from AI. I don’t blame my trigger issue on AI.

As for the magazine complaints, the 300PRC complaint is real. My AXSR was purchased from MH as a 300PRC (just as they are both listed and numbered from AI and stocked by EO an MH). It came with the plastic baseplate 300 magazine (I forget the model number). That magazine, or really all of their 300 magazines don’t tend to like 300PRC. They know this but do nothing to resolve it. I blame AI for that.

However I did just send my 300 mags off to PWS for the tweaking and new follower so it runs with 300PRC as it should. They’re on the way back to me so we’ll see how that goes. I shouldn’t have to send factory mags to a third party so they can run a factory offering.

All that aside, it’s a great rifle system and I don’t regret getting it. Every manufacturer has their issues here an there (some less or more than others).

The problem with 300prc is the shoulder location.... You can tweak the mag lips a bit but ultimately you will have to seat deeper due to the rounds moving forward to where the 300wm shoulder stop is. If you seated to the lands your bullet tips would now be under the feed ramps and won't feed

Last edited:
This comment doesn’t bear on AI rifles, but the magazines were brought up…

AICS mags- while they may be the best bolt action specific detachable mag option- are hot garbage. The follower is a bad joke, and the number of competitors that have had problems with them is amazing. Maybe they are flawless in AI rifles, but I’ll take the OAL penalty to run SR25 pattern pmags. Rounds don’t pop out when you seat the mag, nor do they nose dive instead of chambering.

This comment doesn’t bear on AI rifles, but the magazines were brought up…

AICS mags- while they may be the best bolt action specific detachable mag option- are hot garbage. The follower is a bad joke, and the number of competitors that have had problems with them is amazing. Maybe they are flawless in AI rifles, but I’ll take the OAL penalty to run SR25 pattern pmags. Rounds don’t pop out when you seat the mag, nor do they nose dive instead of chambering.

I’ve never had a problem with actual AI AICS magazines when used for the calibers they were designed for.

I don’t run the latest whiz bang calibers though so that’s probably part of it.

The problem with 300prc is the shoulder location.... You can tweak the mag lips a bit but ultimately you will have to seat deeper due to the rounds moving forward to where the 300wm shoulder stop is. If you seated to the lands your bullet tips would now be under the feed ramps and won't feed
You’re speaking Swahili sir. Necks and landing strips feeding strippers… I just want to load and shoot factory ammo in factory rifles ☹️

Do they?

I would think AINA supplies everything but the barrel and the dealers in the US create packages with WinTac barrels in the other calibers.

I may be wrong but it wouldn’t surprise me
I don’t think Euro and MH are getting barrel-less AXSR rifles and throwing .300 PRC barrels on them. AINA is doing that, through whatever fulfillment options available to them and they own the mag clusterfuck. If AIUK won’t make mags for calibers AINA is selling in its home market that’s a corporate strategy problem.

Starting fresh if one didn’t have a number of mags should one just go with .338 LM mags?

You’re speaking Swahili sir. Necks and landing strips feeding strippers… I just want to load and shoot factory ammo in factory rifles ☹️

Refined gentlemen of the ai thread.. I implore you.... You have witnessed it here with you own eyes....

Behold the vast chasum of intelligence that separates the US Marines from the US Army....

the-great-outdoors-comedy.gif

Now I’m checking into if it’s possible to buy spare breach rings for my AT’s. I’m not sure why exactly, however, besides complete bolt assemblies and triggers I can think of anything else that’s really necessary to keep the guns running.

Reactions: HKSniper11B
Now I’m checking into if it’s possible to buy spare breach rings for my AT’s. I’m not sure why exactly, however, besides complete bolt assemblies and triggers I can think of anything else that’s really necessary to keep the guns running.
Good luck with that lol

Reactions: kthomas and Nik H
Not the rifles, but AW magazines are shipping defective. There is nearly zero spring tension when the follower is at the top. The ass end of the follower says so that it isn’t even forced all the way upwards against the stop. It’s an easy fix, but the follower and spring has to be removed from the body, spring stretched out several inches while the geometry has to be tweaked so that the follower sits level with the bottom leaf spring. I couldn’t see these working correctly even in AI rifles as they have been shipping.