Why are we not talking about the devastation in Western NC, TN, and other places?

What made it bad was that it started raining Monday non stop and then the outer bands started dumping more heavier rain on Thursday into Friday. The mountain run off was crazy.
I got 10 inches of rain from Tuesday to Friday morning here and I am 30 minutes north of Newport TN and an hour and a half to Ashville.
A friend that does HVAC work in Newport told me on Wednesday that it was raining too hard to even think about working.

Here's a little place in Hot Springs that we like to stop at when riding through the area. A real diverse group of people in Hot Springs. Hikers, tourist and motorcycle riders make it a unique place.

IMG_20240928_213155.jpg

This might help some folks with communication

ALERT: Asheville, NC is a TOTAL blackout zone, so we’ve set up TWO Starlink Stations for Public Use

Even NC State Police aren’t able to connect to cellular networks, so they’re using our Starlinks now.

SPOT 1:
DoubleTree Hilton Downtown
199 Haywood
SSID: SORTOR STARLINK
Pass: ncstrong

SPOT 2:
Asheville Shelter
Ferguson Building
340 Victoria Rd
SSID: HALL STARLINK
Pass: ncstrong

Spread this for ANYONE in the affected area. It’s been days since anyone’s been able to connect to cellular out here.

@ChrisHallWx
and I have had these up and running for an hour, and I lost count of the amount of people that’ve told us they’ve FINALLY been able to connect with friends and family and let them know they’re okay 🙂

I’m sure this post will have someone run up my data bill just to troll me, but so be it.

We’ve connected Asheville back to the world! 🙌🏻
I'll say thank you for all those that aren't able to. This is a heroic thing to do. It means a lot to many who have been incommunicado for a couple of days.

We were going to take supplies of food and water but there's no way to get there from here without going up into Virginia and circling back down into NC and then probably running into the same road outages from that direction. The rural areas are going to need helicopters to supply them.
The Unicoi Hospital was under water and they airlifted the people from the roof.
Check out WBIR channel 10 for some info, they showed some donation sites on the morning news, and I believe you could get to Johnson City w/o much issue as I think some donation sites are in the JC area.

Its bad.
The majority of Bat Cave and Chimney rock are floating in Lake Lure.
Town of Marshall, obliterated.
Historical places forever lost.
Entire communities, MANY in small vallys and coves, cut off from civilization.
Much of western NC has been knocked back to the 19th century at this moment.
Got a car? No road to drive on.
Got a ATV? There is now a 30ft deep ravine you couldnt traverse with a horse, seperating you from any town.
Ive got lots of friends and family there. What few pictures are coming out of the area can't convey the severity of the crisis.
Road the sickles in that whole area a few years back.
Just unbelievable.

R

Reactions: armorpl8chikn
Sad to hear… spent a lot of time in those hills back in 1980’s and early 1990’s. Salt of the earth folks there.

Though Asheville has turned into Sodom and Gomorrah in the last 30 years….

Can’t believe Chimney Rock is just gone… well mountain flooding is always fast and violent…. Sad day!

Keep safe all you good mountain folk! And rebuild!!!

Sirhr

Reactions: armorpl8chikn
Sad to hear… spent a lot of time in those hills back in 1980’s and early 1990’s. Salt of the earth folks there.

Though Asheville has turned into Sodom and Gomorrah in the last 30 years….

Can’t believe Chimney Rock is just gone… well mountain flooding is always fast and violent…. Sad day!

Keep safe all you good mountain folk! And rebuild!!!

Sirhr

Times like this we would need a strong POTUS.

Times like this we would need a strong POTUS.

The POTOTATOUS was playing golf…

Harris won’t go near the place as it is not east coast liberal commie land.

So… yeah. But mountain folk are tough and resilient. Used to adversity. The real ones that is. Not the ones who just moved there from NY and LA and drove up all the real estate prices so young western North Carolinians can’t afford homes any more.

Sirhr

I wonder how many won't have insurance from here on out. I'm sure companies will pull out of the market.

Supporting all the billions in Ukraine with 10% to the big guy along with all the grift and the inflation reduction act may put us in a place not even Donald can bring us back from even if they would let them take office.

Last edited:
  • Angry
Reactions: NoDopes and Jughead
I remember the last strong storm here around June knocked out a trailer park, Red Cross/FEMA couldn't find temporary housing because of all the hotels/motels already occupied with the "foreigners" we were paying for yes. I'm guessing it's gonna be difficult finding temporary housing for these fogs that either lost their housing completely or will be displaced for a long time as well. I know these folk in need now aren't the kind that like asking for help, but charity should always begin at home.