• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Why buy anything other than a PVA John Hancock?

captain_toad

Private
Minuteman
Feb 12, 2019
Aside from, you know, actually getting your rifle this decade.

The JHR creates such a precipice of value that even significantly more expensive factory guns like the FN SPR, Sako TRG, M24, etc. seem to fall right off. The AI AT appears to be the only logical step up and the Ruger Precision Rifle a logical step down.

Did PVA sieze the middle?

The Seekins Havak Bravo is also right at this price range.

I was remarking to a friend the other day about all the options we have now. Less than 10 years ago, the options were a few production rifles from $600 to $1200 that needed lots of upgrades, or spending $3k plus on a full custom.

All these high quality rifles filling the $2k +/- level is awesome for us shooters.

I think PVA put the "Oh Shit" in manufacturers last year at Shot with the John Hancock, and now there are several manufacturers working to help fill the gap that PVA was working to fill. If I remember correctly, there were some manufacturers that even cried foul at the quality and the price of the rifle. So, hopefully PVA gets this worked out real soon and can get more of the JHR out the door.

Reactions: BLKWLFK9
I think PVA put the "Oh Shit" in manufacturers last year at Shot with the John Hancock, and now there are several manufacturers working to help fill the gap that PVA was working to fill. If I remember correctly, there were some manufacturers that even cried foul at the quality and the price of the rifle. So, hopefully PVA gets this worked out real soon and can get more of the JHR out the door.
This was the great irony. PVA came out with a solid concept, but seemed woefully underprepared. Other manufacturers/shops caught on to the concept, and were able to bring products to market much faster.

Reactions: trob_205
This was the great irony. PVA came out with a solid concept, but seemed woefully underprepared. Other manufacturers/shops caught on to the concept, and were able to bring products to market much faster.

Which is good for all of us because competition brings out the best, not only price wise, but also in a better product. One company trying to outdo the other for the business. Win, win.

And some of those companies care enough to call/email back within hours of a request for info or a price quote, even if a full schedule and a family.

TM6

Reactions: Changed

I think that PVA took a leap of faith on the JH and the sales probably reflect that. I am new to the long range game, and have friends that spent a lot of money on R700 builds over the years for their rifles. None shoot "customs" or anything but just nice builds (trued action, aftermarket barrel, chassis, etc).

As I was looking to join them, the John Hancock just stood out as a great value even if you don't plan to do any type of actual PRS shooting. The stock is basic but works great, and PVA has a reputation for solid products so it didn't take much for me to move in that direction (even with the longer time frame).

At the time I ordered mine (Thanksgiving/black friday time frame) the Bad Rock info was out there, but no user feedback. MPA had a system out at the time that was based on a Remington 700 action. Their new rifle with the aftermarket action probably would have gotten my money (they are somewhat local to me as well) if I were doing it again today, but again with no actual rifles in the hands of consumers (or at least from my limited searching) I am still happy with my decision to go with the JH. I'll probably end up with an MPA chassis to go with it and possibly move to a 2 stage trigger (my preference), but that's the joy of having a rifle that's modular. Make it your own!

as others have said, it's a great time to be getting into the sport!

Reactions: BLKWLFK9
I emailed PVA asking about their Tikka shouldered prefits that showed up on their website on 1/30. I am still waiting on a reply. Maybe I should call. They might answer the phone.

The only "benefit" I see in a JHR is the swappable bolt heads. Some feel it necessary, others not so much. Doesn't eliminate the option of building one yourself for around the same price in a much shorter time frame.