Your PVA prefit experience

I must be the only one who hasnt had much luck with my Osprey - a 22GT prefit for my CDG.

I’ve tried 3 powders, 6 different projectiles (75, 80, 88 ELDms, 80 and 90SMKs, 85.5 Bergers), and cant get this thing to shoot with any consistency at all. .5” best group, 1.5” for next group – probably averaging out over 1moa for the 500+ rounds I’ve spent trying to get it to shoot so far. At this point I’ve nearly fired as much lead into the dirt as I’m willing to, in the aim of getting this shooting.

I’ve messaged a few of the lads on the Hide with the22gt pre-fits for the CDG who seem to be having better luck than me, but nothing that has worked for them has worked for me. Tried running her clean, fouled, jumped and jammed. No carbon ring. Hell I even bedded this Matrix Pro to try and get it to shoot. I’ve swapped the barrel over to the 6Dasher from my other CDG, and it shoots lights out on this setup too - so Ive eliminated every other variable. I cant really find anything else bar the barrel that I can point my finger at.

At this point Im pulling it off and sitting it on the shelf. If I was in the states Id offer it up for anyone to tinker with if they were up for the challenge. I think this is the first out of 30-something custom barrels Ive given up on.

At the end of the day though, shit happens, sometimes things dont work out - it is what it is.
Forward that email to me: josh (at) patriotvalleyarms.com and I'll take a look. The last 4 days have been very hectic for both @BenE and myself getting a bunch of things ready to go. I'll see what I can do to help from the other side of the globe. I'm not saying we didn't send you a dud, though it's statistically unlikely. Typically what you're describing is something to do with assembly and components rubbing, but we'll get you sorted out and the barrel replaced if that's what it takes to get your stuff shooting like it should.

On another note: Every couple of years we get enough odds and ends clogging up our shelves that I run a hugely discounted "get it out of here" sale. That time has come again. Here is the link to the Hide post about it. If you use "HideCleanUp24" and put your username in the order notes it will give you 5% off the item.

Clean Up Sale 2024

Reactions: sierracharlie338
I got a 223 barrel from the CDM prefit sale they had earlier this year. 24" M24 contour with no fluting or threading. After break-in according to their instructions, it shot a 0.320 MOA 4 round group at 100 yards (the fifth shot was off but I know that was me...last round of the day and I hurried the trigger pull). This was using Sierra 77gr "Competition" factory rounds. Ruger American action on an MDT Oryx chassis. Planning on shooting it out to 550 yards this week. Super happy with the results!

It should shoot well past the 550. You shooting it at Woody's?

It should shoot well past the 550. You shooting it at Woody's?
Yes sir. Hoping to get out enough to shoot this one and my RPR in 6.5 CM to maybe qualify for the 1000 yard range. Just need to spend a little more time gathering dope on the 550 range and then see how well I can hit cold bore shots at various distance. From what he's been saying on his emails, I'm assuming that's what he wants to see, solid dope at varying distances. Been too blazing hot this summer to spend much time at the range.

Reactions: Rob01
Yes sir. Hoping to get out enough to shoot this one and my RPR in 6.5 CM to maybe qualify for the 1000 yard range. Just need to spend a little more time gathering dope on the 550 range and then see how well I can hit cold bore shots at various distance. From what he's been saying on his emails, I'm assuming that's what he wants to see, solid dope at varying distances. Been too blazing hot this summer to spend much time at the range.

Yeah been too hot for me too. Only been out there a few times in the past couple months. Might try and head out this week though with the nicer weather coming.

There doesn't seem to be a sidearms area on this place any longer, so this seems like the best spot to announce these.
PVA is using precision rifle grade blanks and leveraging the CNC capabilities that we have to bring high end, conventionally rifled, drop-in Glock barrels... "prefits" if you will.

Threaded 1/2-28 Class 3A, 416RR and DLC coated as standard. These are not just another white-label from the big house in Florida that makes most of the other Glock barrels on the market.

PVA's using precision rifle level blanks to make pistol barrels. Ready to ship, endorsed by Olympic Pistol Shooters.

Here's a 5% HIDE Member code for these too "GlockHIDE24" The intro price is 10% off retail and the HIDE code will give you another 5 until the first batch of production runs out. These are in stock and ship immediately. Other models are coming shortly, we're running them in batches by model and sending them to DLC.

Attachments

• G19 Breech.png
    G19 Breech.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 19
  • G19 threaded muzzle with white cap.png
    G19 threaded muzzle with white cap.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 19
  • Raven.png
    Raven.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 19
  • Threaded barrel Assembled.png
    Threaded barrel Assembled.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 17
There doesn't seem to be a sidearms area on this place any longer, so this seems like the best spot to announce these.
PVA is using precision rifle grade blanks and leveraging the CNC capabilities that we have to bring high end, conventionally rifled, drop-in Glock barrels... "prefits" if you will.

Threaded 1/2-28 Class 3A, 416RR and DLC coated as standard. These are not just another white-label from the big house in Florida that makes most of the other Glock barrels on the market.

PVA's using precision rifle level blanks to make pistol barrels. Ready to ship, endorsed by Olympic Pistol Shooters.

Here's a 5% HIDE Member code for these too "GlockHIDE24" The intro price is 10% off retail and the HIDE code will give you another 5 until the first batch of production runs out. These are in stock and ship immediately. Other models are coming shortly, we're running them in batches by model and sending them to DLC.

Well shit you have done several of my other barrels and I was thinking of a Glock 19.

Looks great Josh. Any other model Glock barrels in the works?
17's are at plating, we have 26's and 43/43x in surface prep now and those will go to plating as soon as the 17's come back. I have a small batch of 45 and 48 that just started in the machine. It's a pretty work and cash intense process so we decided to roll them out as soon as they're ready instead of waiting to do all the models at once.

Well shit you have done several of my other barrels and I was thinking of a Glock 19.
You know you need one... and you won't see a better price than the 10% at launch plus 5% for Hide members ;-)

Reactions: Rob01
Forward that email to me: josh (at) patriotvalleyarms.com and I'll take a look. The last 4 days have been very hectic for both @BenE and myself getting a bunch of things ready to go. I'll see what I can do to help from the other side of the globe. I'm not saying we didn't send you a dud, though it's statistically unlikely. Typically what you're describing is something to do with assembly and components rubbing, but we'll get you sorted out and the barrel replaced if that's what it takes to get your stuff shooting like it should.

Heya Josh, I did flick that email through a few days back, let me know if you didn’t get it.

I appreciate the response 👍

@bohem

I have one of the oddball TL2’s with Remington threads on it. It currently has a 223Rem PVA barrel on it.

Will I need to ship you the action to get another barrel for it or can you spin up a barrel without it?

@bohem

I have one of the oddball TL2’s with Remington threads on it. It currently has a 223Rem PVA barrel on it.

Will I need to ship you the action to get another barrel for it or can you spin up a barrel without it?
It should come back to be sure. I'm 99% confident it won't have a problem but I would like to see it. We will provide our usual custom fit tag when it comes back then too.

Reactions: Firestarter123
I finally got around to doing a real load dev with my prefit in 6 creedmoor standard freebore reamer from pva.
absolute hammer with 42.5 N555 and 109 hybrids, 60 thou off lands at 3012fps as accurate as I ever could have hoped for. I may even win competitions with this if I do my part.
I put 7 shots in 1 small hole with an SD of 6

Last edited:
Hey Josh,
@bohem
I believe the 22 CM reamer you have is .100.

Is it possible to order a longer FB, such as .120? I believe some smiths are able to hand ream out further?

I know you don’t personally like the 88 ELD-M, but several people that I know are having great results with them, especially in a short barrel and sending them in the 3000-3100 range.

Hey Josh,
@bohem
I believe the 22 CM reamer you have is .100.

Is it possible to order a longer FB, such as .120? I believe some smiths are able to hand ream out further?

I know you don’t personally like the 88 ELD-M, but several people that I know are having great results with them, especially in a short barrel and sending them in the 3000-3100 range.
Yes, we offer custom throating to a dummy round. We require that you send in 3 dummy rounds so that we can measure the BTO length and confirm it's consistent. Load the dummy rounds where the bullet would touch in your ideal round: IE if you want to shoot them at 0.020" jump, send us dummy rounds at 0.020" longer than what you're planning to load for. This way we can work to the bullet touching the throat.

Above about 3050-3100 the 88's seem to get worse and worse the faster you push them. At 2900 they're pretty awesome typically. The problem I have is that warrantying a barrel only to shoot 88's sets us up to hold the bag for a known problem on the bullet when someone doesn't like how they shoot and it's not the barrel's fault that 88's have issues above a certain RPM. I've had barrels come back that were inconsistent with 88's at 3100 but when I slowed them down to 2900-2950 they shot incredible. Put another bullet in there and the barrel shot incredible too. But the customer was not satisfied because "I didn't spend the money on a 22 creedmoor that is speed limited"... It's happened enough that we warn people up front on the 88's specifically.

~3,000+ fps seems to be the precipice where things can really go wrong with loads. This is typically the point where you are really putting a lot of stress on the projectile.

As a general rule, I try to keep all my loads below 3,000 fps.

glad I don't deal with the public.
you designed a shit rifle load, slow it down or deal lol
It's part of the deal. The long majority of our customers have been really great to work for and we have some business policies in place due to things that we learned the hard way with folks who weren't so great. The workload is generally high and the complaints are typically low around here. Ben and I must be doing something right.