• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

30 shots in 10 minutes?

Re: 30 shots in 10 minutes?

I don't abuse my equipment, but if i can't put it to the test now and then, then why have it. Most of this stuff is made to be used and used hard. If you shoot the barrel out, then rebarrel it with a better barrel and do it again.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kurt</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ya and i have some nice ocean front property in south dakota to sell you. Really if this was as good as sliced bread why is everyone not all over it like flies on shit?</div></div>

Ya'll can't afford it?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Inside 300 yards?
Bring a book to read for the other 6+ minutes.

Unless you are shooting from compromised positions that is...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TRP Aubrey</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> There is a match at the local club on Sunday. It will require firing 30-40 rounds in 10 minutes. </div></div>
</div></div>

this is exactly what i was thinking.

actually i was thinking wtf? is this guy kidding why bother building these long range masterpieces if your not going to use them. I am guessing this match is won by the team that finishes the fastest not the one that hits them all because i would assume most teams would get them all from prone and under 300yds. should be a cake walk for a rifle like yours that shoots "sub 1/2moa" shit even at 300yds your targets are at least 1.5moa wide and 2moa tall.

It is what it is. I generally shoot 22 rounds in about 10 minutes x 3 in a match. Your rifle is meant to shoot. If the high heat in your barrel worries you, do something else. I'm prepared to buy another barrel when I shoot this one out. It's the nature of the beast. Like a previous poster said.... if you want to run with the big dogs... then you need to get off the porch.

Yes, the fastest time wins. My share of the steel is 24 and I need get them down inside of 4 minutes to be competitive. I would have to agree with the "shoot now.....buy more barrels later" theory. I'm sure there are companys making barrels every day. I'm questioning myself as to why I asked the question in the first place. By the way, the photo on the first page of the post is of the match I am referring to.

People have been shooting bolt actions in NRA highpower for ages. In an 800 point match there are four strings of rapid fire. Two of which require you to shoot ten rounds in 60 seconds, the other two in 70 seconds.

30 shots in 10 minutes is 20 seconds per shot. The matches that I used to shoot required you to fire on average at a rate of 6 seconds per shot. In actuality, the rate of fire was even faster since you used up part of your firing time getting into position and checking NPA.

A .308 match grade barrel would easily last 5000 to 7000 rounds under those conditions before it would not hold 1 MOA at 600 yards. If you relax your accuracy standard for barrel change, they can easily go 10K under that kind of abuse.

Just thought I'd add some real life examples to this

I offer no criticism here.

For my part, I prefer not to get the barrel too hot for me to place and hold the back of my palm against it. I'm pretty good about this, but nobody's perfect.

Obviously, I'm in the minority on this.

Greg

I have decided to use my bolt gun. I like the comment about bringing a book to read for the remaining 6 minutes. If I can't clean up 24 plates in well under 10 mins. with a sub MOA .308......I shound probably take up bowling.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TRP Aubrey</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have decided to use my bolt gun. I like the comment about bringing a book to read for the remaining 6 minutes. If I can't clean up 24 plates in well under 10 mins. with a sub MOA .308......I shound probably take up bowling. </div></div>

Glad I didn't offend.

I just can't stomach all these beautiful practical precison rifles that are built for internet pictures and safe riding...get out and shoot, its what I build mine for. I have yet to build a rifle with future resale value as a consideration, maybe I'm nuts....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TRP Aubrey</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have decided to use my bolt gun. I like the comment about bringing a book to read for the remaining 6 minutes. If I can't clean up 24 plates in well under 10 mins. with a sub MOA .308......I shound probably take up bowling. </div></div>

How did you do? Any crazy heat from the barrel? I know I used a few extra rounds during my match. I was shooting in the first group so I missed the snow and ice pellets! Figured I did ok with my AR.
PinMatch2011.jpg

PicsApril17-11011.jpg

PicsApril17-11008.jpg