• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Ammo you want to see loaded by the factory?

G

We are looking to hear from the serious shooters here at the hide. What ammunition do you want to see produced from the factory? Let us know, Right now we are producing or developing the following:

260 139 Scenar/142 SMK
Premium 308(in Lapua brass) 155 and 175 SMK/176 Predator solid
300 WSM 190 SMK/176 Predator
338 Lapua 300 SMK/Scenar, 235 Predator
408 Chey Tac 410 Predator solid

Re: Ammo you want to see loaded by the factory?

I tend to roll my own, but I'd love to see more factory offerings of:

1) Premium 308Win with 155gr Lapua Scenars;
2) 7WSM with 180gr VLDs; and
3) 300WM with 210gr SMKs or 208gr AMax.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bm11</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would love to see a 175 SMK for .308 at $1 a round or less. </div></div>

We could get pretty close to that pricing if we had enough orders to sell direct. Otherwise the retail would be closer to $1.15-$1.20.

A group buy may be in order. We could do a run with Winchester brass and ship directly from our shop. Pricing would be right around a buck a round.

'06 is in the schedule, but we have not started load development for it yet. The 208 seems to be pretty popular here, and is one of the bullets we intend to load.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MikeSWammo</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bm11</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would love to see a 175 SMK for .308 at $1 a round or less. </div></div>

We could get pretty close to that pricing if we had enough orders to sell direct. Otherwise the retail would be closer to $1.15-$1.20.

A group buy may be in order. We could do a run with Winchester brass and ship directly from our shop. Pricing would be right around a buck a round. </div></div>I wouldn't mind buying 1000 rounds or so at a time. I would have to sample a box first to make sure it shoots in my rifle though.

FYI- I have bought 2500 rounds of Gold Medal Match (168) in the last couple months. That is business that could easily be stolen by a fellow board member, especially if I could get into 175's for the same price. The accuracy would have to match though.

1.300WM premium loads in the 208AMAX and 220/240SMK
2.300/221 or "300 Whisper" subsonic loads in the 208AMAX or 220 SMK.
3.110 or 125gr VMAX/TAP equivalent in a .308 rd.

This seems to be the consensus.

We will be definitely offering a lower priced 308 round. Winchester or new LC with Sierra bullets. Retail will be around $1.20 per round. If there is enough interest for a group buy, we can do that for close to $1.00 per round.

ker2222,
Can they even load that to mag length? I know I can't when I try to. It seats into the ogive.

Long bullets those 75 Amax.

I doubt there would be alot of demand for factory ammo not at mag length, not to mention the customer service headache when some inexperienced person orders those and they don't fit his magazine.

madd0c

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BearGuide</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would like to see MK262 Mod 1 </div></div>

We can easily do the mod 0 or even a plain 77 smk (mod .5
grin.gif
), but the cannelured 77 smks are not available to me from Sierra. I would have to go through a 3rd party distributor, and this would raise the price point. However, our pricing would still be competitive, and they wouldn't be factory "seconds".

Is the cannelure a deal breaker, or would you be ok with the standard 77 grain matchkings loaded to 5.56 pressures?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: madd0c</div><div class="ubbcode-body">ker2222,
Can they even load that to mag length? I know I can't when I try to. It seats into the ogive.

Long bullets those 75 Amax.

I doubt there would be alot of demand for factory ammo not at mag length, not to mention the customer service headache when some inexperienced person orders those and they don't fit his magazine.

madd0c

</div></div>

Thanks. Those are exactly the issues we have with the 75 Amax.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ker2222</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would be in on the group buy in 308 </div></div>

We may be putting together a 308 group buy in the next few days. We'll be using Sierra bullets and Winchester brass. Pricing will be very close to $1.00 per round.

ANY 7mm-08 Match ammo. 162 A-Max, 168 SMK, 168 Berger, 180 Berger

I got a great deal on Lapua .308 Brass and I neck them down. With the neck diameter I don't even have to resize the brass. Just punch the primer, measure, and usually just load.

But, I'd sure like to see what could be done from a factory loading as far as a good match grade load.

Edit:

On the other side of those is the "fast" crowd who might like 140/150 SMK's or 140 Berger VLD's.

Mike,

The more makers of quality match ammo, the better, as competition and choice are what makes America Great. I applaud your efforts. And put me down for a case of 7mm-08's w/162 Gr A-Max's when you make some.

Bob

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MikeSWammo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This seems to be the consensus.

We will be definitely offering a lower priced 308 round. Winchester or new LC with Sierra bullets. Retail will be around $1.20 per round. If there is enough interest for a group buy, we can do that for close to $1.00 per round. </div></div>

Win brass-175 SMK........Hell yes!

-Pat

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The new guy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">+1 300 win mag with 208 A max. </div></div>

+1

I have a video uploading now, I shot the 175gr SMK and 155gr Sierra from Southwest -- super accurate stuff. It's like handloading without the effort, in fact it's not like work at all. Just call and order.

But the video is loading to YouTube right now

Jack,

i didn't knock the hell out of the quality, so it is a monster file, (YouTube gives you up to 2GB per video), so I am taking up 1.5GB and it's taking a bit.

But it will be up tonight, about 2 hours from now.
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Jack,

i didn't knock the hell out of the quality, so it is a monster file, (YouTube gives you up to 2GB per video), so I am taking up 1.5GB and it's taking a bit.

But it will be up tonight, about 2 hours from now.
smile.gif
</div></div>

4 hours later no video!

I'll make a separate post and explain later...

<object width="853" height="505"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/NcCyVcIQLeQ?fs=1&hl=en_US&color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0x999999"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/NcCyVcIQLeQ?fs=1&hl=en_US&color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0x999999" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="853" height="505"></embed></object>

Mike,

How about a barrier round (Accubond or something similar)? I'd use if for large critters. We'll be using the load that Black Hills makes. It shoots great, but it is quite expensive.

Thanks,

RB

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MikeSWammo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">We are looking to hear from the serious shooters here at the hide. What ammunition do you want to see produced from the factory? Let us know, Right now we are producing or developing the following:

260 <span style="text-decoration: line-through">139 Scenar/142 SMK</span>

</div></div>

Make that a 140gr Berger or JLK VLD over 42.5gr RE17 & you'll have a winner.
grin.gif

Got a question for you guys- I like the idea of Lapua brass, but what about the small primers in an AW? I have heard that AW's tend to puncture small primers (read it in Zak's article about the 6.5x47) because of the strong striker spring (AW's are designed to make any ammo go off, even if it has a "hard" primer.) I know you can get a washer to reduce the travel, but am not sure what is involved and how it effects reliability.

Opinions?

I didn't shoot it out of an AW, but you can get it without the small primers if you want. The key is to call and ask.

I did shoot the 155gr out of an Iron Ridge 308 build and it worked very good in that, so an AR10 Type had no problems with it.

I don't know if the AW has issues with all small primers or just what Zak was seeing I don't have enough experience with them. I am having him send me some to RO to use, so I will shoot it out of an AW there, otherwise you have to wait until I get back from there in Oct to try.

My AE does not like small primers.

I think I may be close to resolving the issue though by contouring the firing pin.

That said, small rifle primers in large rifle cases is worth experimenting with.

ES and SD numbers are crazy low.

Awesome video Frank. Thanks for putting it up.

I forgot to keep an eye on this thread, but here are the replies to everybody's questions.

Barrier Round/Accubond.
We plan on loading Accubonds with our hunting ammunition. My freinds and I have been hunting with them since they came out, with great results. Send me a pm if you need some soon, we can do a small run for you.

Berger bullets
We plan on sticking with the Sierras and Scenars for the 260. I will admit that we haven't tried Bergers, but all of my research indicates that they very sensetive to oal, and are best seated into or near the lands. This is just fine for one rifle, but we have to make sure our product functions in every rifle.

Small Primers
We are switching to using the large rifle primer Lapua brass, though we still have some of the small primer brass in stock. It is loaded with the hardest small rifle magnum primers we could find, and should resist piercing. We haven't fired it in an AW rifle.

The tentative 260 retail pricing is $1.32 a round ($26.40 a box). We plan offering a SH buy at around $1.10 per round.

69 grain 5.56 is an interesting idea, and seems to be a fairly open market. All of the 556 match loads seem to be in 75 or 77, leaving the majority of ar shooters with 1/9 barrels to the 223 loads.

We'll look into this. We plan on offering the 77grain 5.56 loads, so it shouldn't be too much to get some 69 grain loads out as well.