Are the FN SPR enthusiasts extinct?

22" Bartlien heavy varmint GA match 308 reamer. Rebuilt by GAP back in March. Blue printed. Pillar and glass bedded. OD green painted mcmillian it came with. Fn TBM. Mcarbo trigger spring. Josh at GA tuned up the trigger. Badger base. Warne rings. Bushnell XRS3.
Factory barrel had a little over 8000 on it, most of it with little cleaning and pushing 175 smk at 2750.
Don't think I missed any thing.

Reactions: stello1001
1000001836.jpg

22" Bartlien heavy varmint GA match 308 reamer. Rebuilt by GAP back in March. Blue printed. Pillar and glass bedded. OD green painted mcmillian it came with. Fn TBM. Mcarbo trigger spring. Josh at GA tuned up the trigger. Badger base. Warne rings. Bushnell XRS3.
Factory barrel had a little over 8000 on it, most of it with little cleaning and pushing 175 smk at 2750.
Don't think I missed any thing.
How is that scope working out for you.
I had no idea they were at 3 already. I thought they were at XRS2 lol.

I liked the 2 better. I had a DMR, then a XRS 1, XRS 2 and then they warrantied the 2 out for the 3. Had better glass, better clicks and was what I would consider a step above the 3. But the 2 was like $2k + and the 3, when they traded it out was only $1600.

I liked the 2 better. I had a DMR, then a XRS 1, XRS 2 and then they warrantied the 2 out for the 3. Had better glass, better clicks and was what I would consider a step above the 3. But the 2 was like $2k + and the 3, when they traded it out was only $1600.
What the heck, how is that even possible for the 2 to have better glass? I'll keep that in mind in case I'm shopping around for a deal.

I have one of SPRs needing glass at the moment.

I still run a DMR2 on one of my SPRs. The glass is decent, but Bushnell has never competed with any of the "alpha glass" offerings. What they did do for many years is bring a relatively affordable, and pretty repeatable scope to market that had acceptable glass. Definitely good enough to even compete with in disciplines like PRS. For full retail there are certainly better options out there these days, but when you can snag one on sale you certainly get a lot for your money. I bought my DMR2 when the 3s were coming out, and the 2s were going for less than $1K. I did the same thing with the LRTS when that model was discontinued and I was able to snag one for $750.

I regret neither of those purchases, and both optics still reside on rifles that I use to hunt/kill with. However, I have progressed in my optics quest to the point where a Bushy is no longer an option.

Pics of my SPR or it didn't happen.
20240517_181504.jpg

I still run a DMR2 on one of my SPRs. The glass is decent, but Bushnell has never competed with any of the "alpha glass" offerings. What they did do for many years is bring a relatively affordable, and pretty repeatable scope to market that had acceptable glass. Definitely good enough to even compete with in disciplines like PRS. For full retail there are certainly better options out there these days, but when you can snag one on sale you certainly get a lot for your money. I bought my DMR2 when the 3s were coming out, and the 2s were going for less than $1K. I did the same thing with the LRTS when that model was discontinued and I was able to snag one for $750.

I regret neither of those purchases, and both optics still reside on rifles that I use to hunt/kill with. However, I have progressed in my optics quest to the point where a Bushy is no longer an option.

Pics of my SPR or it didn't happen.
View attachment 8480154

One of my SPRs has a minox zp5 3-15.
For the other, I'm undecided between a mk4HD in 4.5-18, a steiner t6 in 3-18, or a traxt toric in 4.5-30.

I too have a few LRTS/LRHS scopes and all of them, I've gotten under 800 bucks. They are decent optics.

Screenshot_20240620_143139_Gallery.jpg
IMG-20231223-WA0004.jpg
IMG-20231223-WA0001.jpg
20240528_151605.jpg
20240528_151706.jpg

What caliber? If still 308 I would go with the leupold. Of a fast 6, 6.5 or the dreaded 25 I would go with more mag, but I am a magnification snob. I want to see mirage and be zoomed in as far as I can when I shoot F class. That doesn't mean I'm a 30+, but I'm never below 25. I read most PRS shooters never dial above 20 tho, so I don't know what I don't know.

Reactions: stello1001
What caliber? If still 308 I would go with the leupold. Of a fast 6, 6.5 or the dreaded 25 I would go with more mag, but I am a magnification snob. I want to see mirage and be zoomed in as far as I can when I shoot F class. That doesn't mean I'm a 30+, but I'm never below 25. I read most PRS shooters never dial above 20 tho, so I don't know what I don't know.

It's a 26" 308 with a stupidly short throat. It might be the 95 palma chamber so I'm stuck with 155s. Regular factory ammo with 168s or 175s all get into the lands.

I'm a FOV whore though. And this 308 would probably never see PRS. I do shoot a monthly belly match local to me that goes out to 1000 yards. I may just take it there sometime.

I want to maybe sell my minox to fund 2 scopes. If I sell the minox, then that SPR would also need glass. This is where the steiner and leupold come in, or the steiner and tract.

I'd probably have to sell the minox and the stock with skulls on it first before I make the purchases.

It's a 26" 308 with a stupidly short throat. It might be the 95 palma chamber so I'm stuck with 155s. Regular factory ammo with 168s or 175s all get into the lands.

I'm a FOV whore though. And this 308 would probably never see PRS. I do shoot a monthly belly match local to me that goes out to 1000 yards. I may just take it there sometime.

I want to maybe sell my minox to fund 2 scopes. If I sell the minox, then that SPR would also need glass. This is where the steiner and leupold come in, or the steiner and tract.

I'd probably have to sell the minox and the stock with skulls on it first before I make the purchases.
I'd keep the Minox, it's a good scope, and save for another scope that passes drop tests.

I'd keep the Minox, it's a good scope, and save for another scope that passes drop tests.

It's a fantastic scope. Just started competing recently and learning that I like other reticles. My match gun has a tango6 4-24 and I like the reticle in it a lot. I've also been able to look through others' scopes and see other reticles. When I pull out my spr with the minox, I find that I would prefer a different reticle.

It pains me to know I bought a really expensive scope only to not want to use it lol. Looking at a whole bunch of other scopes has spoiled me a bit.

Xlr made a chassis for them for a while
View attachment 8480480View attachment 8480482

That's true, I almost forgot about this one. Mine sits in an MDT ESS which they also made for a good while. I didn't have to open up my action to run their chassis and AI mags.

Heck, you can run any bottom metal or chassis that you can find for the m70 that takes ai mags without opening the action as long as you run the mdt mags.

Reactions: Geno C.
It's a fantastic scope. Just started competing recently and learning that I like other reticles. My match gun has a tango6 4-24 and I like the reticle in it a lot. I've also been able to look through others' scopes and see other reticles. When I pull out my spr with the minox, I find that I would prefer a different reticle.

It pains me to know I bought a really expensive scope only to not want to use it lol. Looking at a whole bunch of other scopes has spoiled me a bit.
If you want a good scope and reticle to compete with, that is still durable and passes drop tests, get the zeiss s3 6-36. I love mine and it has held up well.

Reactions: moosemeat