Are the FN SPR enthusiasts extinct?

I just pick up one of the last production models of the series. fn spr a5m xp. It is a fine rifle. With the heavy threaded barrel and A5 stock, It is a tank of a gun. The bottom metal is steel. I wish I could fine a 10 round magazine for it. No luck so far. Plenty of 5 rounders everywhere. This gun is the best factory offering shooter i have seen. YMMV

I'm aware that some work can be done to the factory trigger, but my main interest in the Xtreme is because it's a safe two-stage. As far as I can find through my limited research, the Xtreme is the only one that fits the bill.

Reactions: Basher
Do any of you sophisticated m70 and spr enthusiasts have a spare mcmillan a3 stock you aren't using that you'd like to sell? Midwest gunworks doesn't have anymore left. Would also consider a manners of similar shape as well.

Do any of you sophisticated m70 and spr enthusiasts have a spare mcmillan a3 stock you aren't using that you'd like to sell? Midwest gunworks doesn't have anymore left. Would also consider a manners of similar shape as well.

You can still order the McMillan A5 for the SPR, as well as the HTG direct from McMillan.

IMG-20200603-WA0044.jpg
IMG-20200603-WA0047.jpg
IMG-20200603-WA0045.jpg
IMG-20200603-WA0058.jpg
IMG-20200603-WA0055.jpg
IMG-20200603-WA0050.jpg

Would this stock interest you?

I love my FN. It's been rebuilt at GAP. Got a Bartlien HV. Got the TBM. Fully pillar bedded. Mcarbo trigger spring. The works. It's a honest .3moa 308.....
I just bought a Templar V3 because the SPR can go no further. I want a better trigger. AICS mags. Manners PRS2 stock. Was the FN a mistake due to lack of parts? Nope. It will never leave because it's the most reliable rifle I've ever owned and now the absolute most accurate. But it does have limits. Manley in trigger, stock, and dbm choices. If you want more stuff you have to settle or switch platforms.

Reactions: diggler1833
I love my FN. It's been rebuilt at GAP. Got a Bartlien HV. Got the TBM. Fully pillar bedded. Mcarbo trigger spring. The works. It's a honest .3moa 308.....
I just bought a Templar V3 because the SPR can go no further. I want a better trigger. AICS mags. Manners PRS2 stock. Was the FN a mistake due to lack of parts? Nope. It will never leave because it's the most reliable rifle I've ever owned and now the absolute most accurate. But it does have limits. Manley in trigger, stock, and dbm choices. If you want more stuff you have to settle or switch platforms.

Agreed. I have three, and two have been rebarreled into 6.5x47L. They are stupid consistent in their accuracy.

The actions aren't nearly as smooth as a good custom, but they are absolutely just as reliable and bomb-proof. 20 years ago, they were one of the (if not the) best factory options available. Unfortunately, availability of aftermarket parts is going to see these die off. I have some spare springs for each one, so hopefully I can at least enjoy them the rest of my lifetime.

Reactions: moosemeat
Agreed. I have three, and two have been rebarreled into 6.5x47L. They are stupid consistent in their accuracy.

The actions aren't nearly as smooth as a good custom, but they are absolutely just as reliable and bomb-proof. 20 years ago, they were one of the (if not the) best factory options available. Unfortunately, availability of aftermarket parts is going to see these die off. I have some spare springs for each one, so hopefully I can at least enjoy them the rest of my lifetime.
I’d say 20 years ago they were one of the best options available; against both factory and custom rifles in the genre.

For those that have/had multiple mag systems, I have a stupid question. Is there any possible modifications that would allow an AICS to work in the TBM? Thanks.

Just run an PTG bottom metal and use MDT AI mags. You don't have to open up the action if you use MDT mags. They made them a bit slimmer to work with m70 rifles. I'm talking about the half polymer half metal with window.

Reactions: Toftwo
I'm pretty sure LRI is also one of the few places that'll bush your bolt face too. Makes it a one-stop shop for a barrel/receiver/bolt job.

Probably not enough of us to keep him busy off of just that, but he'll do quite a bit of business.

I'm pretty sure LRI is also one of the few places that'll bush your bolt face too. Makes it a one-stop shop for a barrel/receiver/bolt job.

Probably not enough of us to keep him busy off of just that, but he'll do quite a bit of business.
It's a good thing he's not solely relying on us m70 spr guys. He does plenty good without us. So anything he gets out of this is just additional. Win win for both sides.

Full build. Blueprint. Tbm bdm. Bartlien. Pillar bedding in the original stock. Everything. I looked for a CDI for months. Got a screaming deal on the tbm. And GAP did a hell of a job on it. It's a .3MOA gun with 175 smk.

Yes the FN SPR was among the best when it came out. Better stock and heavier barrel than the PSS. Better factory trigger. Better included scope rail. I will never get read of mine because it been reliable and accurate. Honestly if Bix or TT would come out with a trigger I would just have more barrel spun up for it.

Reactions: stello1001
I still run the factory springs, and polished the sear on the trigger itself. One rifle I could get reliably (wouldn't slam fire) down to 2lb 4oz. Both of the others are right at about 3lbs. That is way too heavy for some, and I did buy two M*Carbo springs to go with my replacement firing pin springs. I just haven't put them in yet. I think with my next barrels I will.

Full build. Blueprint. Tbm bdm. Bartlien. Pillar bedding in the original stock. Everything. I looked for a CDI for months. Got a screaming deal on the tbm. And GAP did a hell of a job on it. It's a .3MOA gun with 175 smk.

Yes the FN SPR was among the best when it came out. Better stock and heavier barrel than the PSS. Better factory trigger. Better included scope rail. I will never get read of mine because it been reliable and accurate. Honestly if Bix or TT would come out with a trigger I would just have more barrel spun up for it.

Have you posted it here? Let's see what she looks like...

I don't have a photo bucket account... We sound similar, the reason I didn't know about the correct LRI bottom metal project is because I don't have SpaceBook or InstaTwitterGram either, haha!

Screenshot_20240814-092815_Chrome.jpg

I just click on this button, then add whatever picture from my gallery. 🤷‍♂️

Use the little "attach files" button underneath the text box you're using on your computer or phone. When you click it you should go to your images on your phone or computer. Select the image and then "open". You can hover over the image to choose whether you want to upload a thumbnail or full size. Super easy.

If you use an Apple device, it is the same, but first you have to put your purse down.

This sounds like my dad trying to figure out his last flip phone :D .

Use the little "attach files" button underneath the text box you're using on your computer or phone. When you click it you should go to your images on your phone or computer. Select the image and then "open". You can hover over the image to choose whether you want to upload a thumbnail or full size. Super easy.

If you use an Apple device, it is the same, but first you have to put your purse down.

This sounds like my dad trying to figure out his last flip phone :D .
Also please always do full size. Then I don't have to click on the attachment at the bottom.

I bought an action with bottom metal from CDNN back when everyone here was building them in '07 or '08. I had the action trued and barreled by a new-at-the-time gunsmith. I bought a stock from Manners who was also relatively new at the time. I cut the pillars, bedded the action, and finish cut the barrel channel. I don't shoot it a lot but it's on it's second barrel. It's a nice action albeit an evolutionary dead-end. If I already owned an SPR, I would certainly spend the money to rebarrel it when the time came. I would not buy one today with the intention of building a custom gun.

Reactions: diggler1833
I bought an action with bottom metal from CDNN back when everyone here was building them in '07 or '08. I had the action trued and barreled by a new-at-the-time gunsmith. I bought a stock from Manners who was also relatively new at the time. I cut the pillars, bedded the action, and finish cut the barrel channel. I don't shoot it a lot but it's on it's second barrel. It's a nice action albeit an evolutionary dead-end. If I already owned an SPR, I would certainly spend the money to rebarrel it when the time came. I would not buy one today with the intention of building a custom gun.
Sweet pics.