Bates/Danners decision help.

TACTICAL45

Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Nov 17, 2007
    Where ever they send me...
    I am about to buy a new set of boots and I have narrowed it down to Bates Delta-9 Desert Tan Boot and the Danner Desert TFX Hot Weather. Anyone have experience with either the Bates or Danners listed below in hot as in 95* daily and above weather? I have been told that the Danners breath very well, just would like a honest opinion about the Bates and Danners. I have tried both on and they both fit good. I have done a lot of research and found that the soles wear kinda quick on both, no biggie as long as they do what they say they will for about four months. (that's all I personally give a pair of boots in the Army)
    1551564-p-2x.jpg

or

Danner Desert TFX® Rough Out Hot Military Boots
    26016.jpg

I have worn the Bates Delta-8 while at Ft.Huachuca can't say I remember my feet getting hot like the Blackhawk Warrior Desert Ops. They are a very comfortable boot but very hot as well. I have worn them in anything from desert night "cool" to well over 115*.
    18-1062-IMG1.jpeg

Re: Bates/Danners decision help.

I've used the Danners, but I thought they were a little warm. They seemed to wear more quickly than my Oakleys. The Oakleys are my favorite. I thought they were more comfortable and lasted longer than the TFXs I have owned. Not to say the TFXs were bad; I liked mine while I had them. I just like the Oakleys better.

Just a thought, if you can wait. In the past, Danner has had a half off sale once a year. Last year it was in december. If you didn't need them right away, you could save some bucks. Just sayin,,,
    whistle.gif

Thanks for all the input. I ended up buying the Bates Delta-9 Desert one, they only cost $109.00 at Ranger Joe's. They have a adjustable heel for comfort in just about any condition. I'll post back when I get some time in them and let you know how they are. thanks again.

Bates are way better than Danner in my opinion. I bought a pair of Danners wihch lasted less than a year. I'm now on my third pair of Bates' many years later. They are cheaper, more functional, more comfortable, and last longer. I will not but another pair of Danner anything for as long as I need duty boots!

I bought a pair of Danner Pronghorn boots early this summer for a backpacking trip that I just went on. They have 400 grams of Thinsulate and when I was out breaking them in, my feet were the only part of me that was dry. This summer in Texas has been pretty damn hot. This is my first pair of Danners, and I really like them so far. They held up well when we were climbing mountains in New Mexico too. Only thing I haven't gotten to see is how well they repel water.

I did find using liners and wool socks to be really helpful too. At the end of a hike, my feet were always dry and comfortable.

In my 10 years of patrol work, I've tried to find cheaper alternatives to Danner, but I end up always coming back to Danners because they are just the best all around boot in my opinion. I've never noticed them too be too warm, even in 100+ degree weather. I have 4 pairs of them, and I just sent out my first pair for a recraft.

I have those same bates boots. About 3 years now. They are nice and light and breath pretty good. I still prefer my Danner Pronghorns for hunting or wet weather and Acadias for patrol.

I have flat feet from torn tendons in both feet. I have tried just about everything from Dr. Martens ( very good btw, but not approved for wear in the big green) to bates, and everything in between. The bates are comfortable but do not last long. Great to run in though.
    I wore the TSX for about 4 months and they were destroyed. Mainly the soles and the sole padding fell apart. They were very hot and after about 2 months they become uncomfortable. When looking for a better boot, I have 2 main things I look for, 1. Comfort due to my injuries, and 2. They must be Fire resisitant so I can wear them for crew duties. The best boot I have found so far has been the Rocky SV2. They last, they are comfortable and they do not get too hot. I have had the laces wear out and break before the boot had any issues. I wear boots daily from 8-16 hours at a time. The SV2 ( with leather instep) has by far been the best.

Ok, so far no disappointments! They are very comfortable, do NOT get hot. The uppers took about two days to get where I wanted them. They do however seem to run bigger in sizes than other companies. I usually wear a 10-10 1/2 EE depending. These are 9 1/2 EE. None of my other footwear no matter the type are this small in size.

I picked up a pair of Danner Rivots last weekend. It is the new updated version of the TFX. I was at clothing and sales when they had a Danner rep there. He talked me into them. I like them so far; not too hot, good ankle support, and comfortable. I've used them on a shorter ruck and they were good to go so far.

The guard has been great. No deployments yet, not for lack of trying though; I thought it would be easier to go than it has been. I did get to go to the Dominican Republic last year and will be in Central America next spring. I have a year and half left on my contract, and am considering going active.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CalmlyDeMented</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The guard has been great. No deployments yet, not for lack of trying though; I thought it would be easier to go than it has been. I did get to go to the Dominican Republic last year and will be in Central America next spring. I have a year and half left on my contract, and am considering going active. </div></div>

Come on.................really??

If you wanted to deploy in the first place you'd have gone active initially. You don't go in the national guard and then say you really tried to get overseas.

It's called the NATIONAL guard for a reason.

I'll be nice, I'll be nice. Put in the request and go active, the army needs it.

I had 2 pairs of the Bates Delta-8 (or whatever they used to be called) and I really liked them. The first pair took me through 15 months of walking all over Afghanistan and the other pair lasted 3 years of civilian use, I just threw them out the other day. They feel broken-in from day one and took a beating. I decided to try something else and have a pair of Tactical Research Khyber Mountain Hybrid's on order. I don't have to conform to uniform standards anymore so I got the multicam ones. Hopefully they'll be as good as the Bates...

Edited to add: I tried on a couple different brands (Blackhawk, Belleville, etc.) and the Khyber's fit and felt the best. Not to mention I usually wear size 12-13 and the Khyber's didn't make my feet look like a couple of pontoons like the other boots did.

TR560-Tactical-Research-Khyber-Multicam-Mountain-Hybrid-Boot_dt.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: YourMotherTrebek</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CalmlyDeMented</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The guard has been great. No deployments yet, not for lack of trying though; I thought it would be easier to go than it has been. I did get to go to the Dominican Republic last year and will be in Central America next spring. I have a year and half left on my contract, and am considering going active. </div></div>

If you wanted to deploy in the first place you'd have gone active initially. You don't go in the national guard and then say you really tried to get overseas.

It's called the NATIONAL guard for a reason. </div></div>

Are you serious? You are going to question my integrity, over the internet, after reading my post? PM me next time you are in Missouri and you can insult me in person. I would like that. Generally I see fellow service men and women as buddies, so I'll keep this short. Fuck you, buddy.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CalmlyDeMented</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: YourMotherTrebek</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CalmlyDeMented</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The guard has been great. No deployments yet, not for lack of trying though; I thought it would be easier to go than it has been. I did get to go to the Dominican Republic last year and will be in Central America next spring. I have a year and half left on my contract, and am considering going active. </div></div>

It's called the NATIONAL guard for a reason. </div></div>

Are you serious? You are going to question my integrity, over the internet, after reading my post? PM me next time you are in Missouri and you can insult me in person. I would like that. Generally I see fellow service men and women as buddies, so I'll keep this short. Fuck you, buddy. </div></div>

It wasn't a question of your integrity. It was a question of your intelligence to join the national guard and complain about getting overseas.

Arguing over the internet is like running in the special olympics. You may
    win but your still retarded.

Now back to the boots.

I've got the TFX and love them. Danners are hard to beat.