• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Rifle Scopes Burris XTR3!!!

Burris.jpg

Got it mounted up. Hopefully get out tomorrow or the next day. Looks pretty good so far....

I am not seeing this turret on their website. Can someone explain to me what the speed turret is, as you would a small child.

Scroll down to "Features" and you will see the Race Dial in the center.

This allows you to mark your holds right on your turret rather than using an armboard or data card. You wipe it back off again after each stage, or mark it with set yardages and cover it with Scotch tape. You can buy Scotch tape in that width. And they've made a groove in the dial that you can run the tip of your pocket knife along to make it easy to remove the tape and erase your dial marks and start over.

I sent a few rounds downrange today to get sighted in and check my dope out to about 1000. I don't know if it was just one of those really weird days when the mirage was goofy, but I had a tough time focusing the scope. It was a really odd sensation looking through it, no matter how much I messed with the parallax, I couldn't really get a clear image. I thought it was weird, because it was 38 degrees and not really all that sunny, not a typical "heavy mirage" type day. That being said, I was able to get quite a few hits out to 1100, so I could see clear enough to acquire the target. The image just sort of seemed off. I took the gun with that scope on it and set it beside another gun I have a Leupold MK5 3-18 on. I sort of went side by side on them and couldn't tell much of a difference, other than the Burris does have a noticeably larger FOV and more forgiving eyebox. I am going to write it off for now as something of an environmental anomaly, I should have a chance tomorrow to look through the scope a little more and see if it was the conditions or something weird with the scope.

Reactions: tam4511
I sent a few rounds downrange today to get sighted in and check my dope out to about 1000. I don't know if it was just one of those really weird days when the mirage was goofy, but I had a tough time focusing the scope. It was a really odd sensation looking through it, no matter how much I messed with the parallax, I couldn't really get a clear image. I thought it was weird, because it was 38 degrees and not really all that sunny, not a typical "heavy mirage" type day. That being said, I was able to get quite a few hits out to 1100, so I could see clear enough to acquire the target. The image just sort of seemed off. I took the gun with that scope on it and set it beside another gun I have a Leupold MK5 3-18 on. I sort of went side by side on them and couldn't tell much of a difference, other than the Burris does have a noticeably larger FOV and more forgiving eyebox. I am going to write it off for now as something of an environmental anomaly, I should have a chance tomorrow to look through the scope a little more and see if it was the conditions or something weird with the scope.
At what magnification we’re you at? I had similar issues with my 3.3x18 above 12x. I was comparing with another scope at 1000 yards and noticed degradation of IQ. I have sent my scope back to Burris to have them check it to see if it is in spec. It is not horrible, but noticeable so hoping Burris will say this is not the norm and fix the issue. I don’t want to say too much until I hear back from Burris and get a new scope to see how the new one compares. Just about everything else with the scope was very impressive so I’m hoping they resolve this issue.

At what magnification we’re you at?
I was mainly between 15-18x. I have shot in a lot of different conditions before, so I was really surprised that I couldn't really get a "clear" picture through the scope. I am going to take it out tomorrow and also bring my other gun with my Leupold on it and see if it is doing the same thing. If it is, I suppose I will send it back. Same boat as you.. I want to like the scope, it has good features, but if it doesn't work it is useless to me.

I was mainly between 15-18x. I have shot in a lot of different conditions before, so I was really surprised that I couldn't really get a "clear" picture through the scope. I am going to take it out tomorrow and also bring my other gun with my Leupold on it and see if it is doing the same thing. If it is, I suppose I will send it back. Same boat as you.. I want to like the scope, it has good features, but if it doesn't work it is useless to me.
I was comparing the XTR III to another scope, side by side, same conditions and all that, the sight picture through my other scope was clearly clearer above 12x than the XTR III. If you experience the same when comparing side by side with your Leupold, I would be inclined to say yours and mine are experiencing similar optical characteristics. I would also suggest you test your XTR III at 10x and see if the image is clearer as was the case with my scope, it may be that the magnification at that level was not enough to exacerbate the problem but it is what I witnessed during my testing. I was extremely impressed with the FOV and the edge sharpness/detail was very impressive up to 12x, if Burris can resolve the IQ issues above 12x they will have a serious contender for sure.

I still have my XTR 4-20 and will prob nvr sell it. It is a solid scope and I know I can trust it. Glass is a step down for sure but its still a legitimate option. I would have no prob running my 4-20 esp if short on $$, which is exactly why I got caught up in this to start with.

There was a website selling the 4-20 awhile back for like $550. Nothing touches it in that price range...obviously that was a sale but if I had the $$ I would have got a couple.

Every match Ive shot this scope at Ive set the parallax at 500 and nvr touched. It is very refreshing to look through a scope and see clarity and not fiddle with it. The DOF is phenominal now that you mention it.

Looking forward to your review.

Same. Honestly tho I don't care as its made right here in UNITED STATES OF AMERICA!! If there are growing pains figuring this thing out, then I am totally fine forgiving them to figure it out as long as production stays here in USA by Americans. I cant stress the importance of this enough...

THIS is the reason I agreed to help out with this scope and represent them in the field shooting/testing their gear. God Bless America.

That being said I think they have a good thing going and as WJM mentioned, the glass has great edge to edge clarity but the bigger picture is this scope isn't just great glass (which oddly is all SH members care about) its the WHOLE package

in no particular order-
-capped or open turrets (yes the capped turret will be harder to spin. its physics. if you want the uncapped turret (larger dia ie larger lever arm) to not spin too easy, the smaller one HAS to be tougher to spin.
-oscillating tics on the elevation turret for quick acquisition and dialing
-large numbers for you blind folk
-large spacing on the ticks (only 10 mil knobs) - y a company would go over is beyond me...
-large FOV for finding targets/game
-my fav feature, the allen holes for re-zeroing the turret are on the back where you can SEE them and also markes on top of turret for fast finding
-20 yd paralax
-freaking awesome new tree retic that has everything you need and nothing you don't. ha. really like the tiny center cross
-MADE IN USA
-compact and light
-my game changing contribution, the target turret. just write down your targets and forget the time wasting arm band.
-MADE IN USA - if you don't like this, then go back to ARFCOM and buy ur chicom crap and complain about OUR president and shitty economy...lol

this post is worthless without pics...

View attachment 7177461

Regards,
DT
Very well put! Yeah one of the smallest things that I was excited about was the marked Allen bolts for the knob adjustment as well. The XTR2 had three of them and they weren't marked so hunting for them in non direct light was a pita.

Reactions: Birddog6424
A good test would be to look at something 100-200 yards away at high mag. If it still looks unfocused then you know you have a problem, if not it's the conditions.

Reactions: shields shtr
I'm tempted as I keep following this thread, but I like my XTR II so much I keep going back to why search for a solution to a problem that doesn't exist. I guess I got one of the good 5-25's it's been fantastic, but I could see myself in a 4-20 smaller setup in the future. Glad to see more and more people chiming in their experiences.

Got some trigger time today with my XTRIII. Went out to Tripple C here in Texas and made my farthest shots, out to 1100 yards on my 6.5, and what was even more impressive was that I could see not only my impacts, but the impact marks!!
Also got to compare the glass side by side at 700 yards to an ATACR and they are very close. The ATACR had a tad more clarity, but the XTR has much better sight picture and fov.

I know you!

I intend to write a more lengthy review, but wanted to give a quick update. I noticed that my XTR III 3.3-18x50 was losing resolution and contrast above 12x so decided to contact Burris just to see if it was out of spec. It took a few days for them to get back to me but when they did they sent me a label and my scope was off to them the next day, they looked at it the day they received it and determined it was not to quality standards and they shipped me a brand new replacement that they physically inspected to ensure it was gtg. I had the new scope the next day, granted I live in the same state as Burris so it may take a couple days longer depending on your location but highly impressed with their swiftness to resolve the issue.

Some of you may say the scope never should have shipped and I concur (so would Burris) but to be honest this is something that happens at times with early adaptation of new products. Yes, these things should be caught in QA but sometimes they don’t know what to look for. A few years ago I was an early adopter with the XTR II 4-20x50 that had frustrating optical aberrations which caused eye fatigue pretty quickly. I suffered through a year of using that scope before I sold it and wish I would have used the warranty service. Again, these issues should not occur long term and I suspect Burris may add additional quality checks to address this, but the good news is how quick Burris was to rectify the situation; there is peace of mind knowing if anything does go wrong you will be taken care of swiftly.

By the way, the new scope does appear to be much better in the 12-18x range but was dealing with severe mirage today so difficult to ascertain how much better, that will come as I spend more time behind the scope.

I intend to write a more lengthy review, but wanted to give a quick update. I noticed that my XTR III 3.3-18x50 was losing resolution and contrast above 12x so decided to contact Burris just to see if it was out of spec. It took a few days for them to get back to me but when they did they sent me a label and my scope was off to them the next day, they looked at it the day they received it and determined it was not to quality standards and they shipped me a brand new replacement that they physically inspected to ensure it was gtg. I had the new scope the next day, granted I live in the same state as Burris so it may take a couple days longer depending on your location but highly impressed with their swiftness to resolve the issue.

Some of you may say the scope never should have shipped and I concur (so would Burris) but to be honest this is something that happens at times with early adaptation of new products. Yes, these things should be caught in QA but sometimes they don’t know what to look for. A few years ago I was an early adopter with the XTR II 4-20x50 that had frustrating optical aberrations which caused eye fatigue pretty quickly. I suffered through a year of using that scope before I sold it and wish I would have used the warranty service. Again, these issues should not occur long term and I suspect Burris may add additional quality checks to address this, but the good news is how quick Burris was to rectify the situation; there is peace of mind knowing if anything does go wrong you will be taken care of swiftly.

By the way, the new scope does appear to be much better in the 12-18x range but was dealing with severe mirage today so difficult to ascertain how much better, that will come as I spend more time behind the scope.

Glad to hear they got you a new scope Bill!

I'm looking forward to your thoughts..

Hmmm they've had my broken scope for 1.5 weeks now without a single peep or update to my online repair status. Yours gets inspected within 2 days and replacement shipped because you felt the clarity wasn't up to par? I feel like f'n chopped liver now, thanks Burris.

If you will shoot me a PM with your name Khuber, I'll see what I can find out for you..

Maybe yours is just busted all to hell and they dont have the heart to tell you. ;)

Hmmm they've had my broken scope for 1.5 weeks now without a single peep or update to my online repair status. Yours gets inspected within 2 days and replacement shipped because you felt the clarity wasn't up to par? I feel like f'n chopped liver now, thanks Burris.
This is their busiest time of year, I thought it would take longer myself.

Got my 3-18 in and my turret is dang near purple
View attachment 7183323
Hmmmmm. How’s that make it out the door? I have this vision in my mind that someone (or something) visually inspects the scope before it goes in the package, gets put on some type of device to check the tracking, and undergoes kind of a final “check”. Maybe the power was out that day?

Hmmmmm. How’s that make it out the door? I have this vision in my mind that someone (or something) visually inspects the scope before it goes in the package, gets put on some type of device to check the tracking, and undergoes kind of a final “check”. Maybe the power was out that day?

QA guy probably forgot he wasn't working on the Razor assembly line.

@Birddog6424 Any idea when these might start heading north into Canada? Would be interested in seeing one. If they're as nice as people say on here, could be interesting to see where it fits in "value" wise if the CAD price falls in between the Razor gen II and Athlon Ares ETRs.

QA guy probably forgot he wasn't working on the Razor assembly line.

@Birddog6424 Any idea when these might start heading north into Canada? Would be interested in seeing one. If they're as nice as people say on here, could be interesting to see where it fits in "value" wise if the CAD price falls in between the Razor gen II and Athlon Ares ETRs.

I'm afraid I really dont know the answer to that. I can kick off a text to the guy who handles international sales and try to get a response. I'll let you know if I come up with anything.

Reactions: Northernjets

I think some speed bumps are inevitable. Brand new scope line from a new facility (Greeley instead of the Phillipines).

I dont think the management team will be very happy to see a purple colored turret left the facility. Not really something that should get overlooked. But as we saw with Bill's 18x not quite performing optically in the higher magnification ranges, there needs to be some more training with QC staff about levels of acceptability.

I'm sure the glass would have been just fine for the XTR2, but Burris is raising their game in the XTR3, and the level of quality control needs to reflect that.

Bill's one scope prompted them to tear open every XTR3 in Greeley to double check to make sure that error didnt occur again. So the commitment is there for this to be a fantastic scope line. They just need to get customer service and quality control firing on all cylinders.

I think some speed bumps are inevitable. Brand new scope line from a new facility (Greeley instead of the Phillipines).

I dont think the management team will be very happy to see a purple colored turret left the facility. Not really something that should get overlooked. But as we saw with Bill's 18x not quite performing optically in the higher magnification ranges, there needs to be some more training with QC staff about levels of acceptability.

I'm sure the glass would have been just fine for the XTR2, but Burris is raising their game in the XTR3, and the level of quality control needs to reflect that.

Bill's one scope prompted them to tear open every XTR3 in Greeley to double check to make sure that error didnt occur again. So the commitment is there for this to be a fantastic scope line. They just need to get customer service and quality control firing on all cylinders.
And my issue I posted earlier with the scope with the wrong reticle in the box.
Definitely a lot of qc issues...
I'm not too happy about the prices dropped this fast either.

What exactly was going on with your original scope?

Just because the scope is made in the USA doesn't mean there isn't minimum waged mexicans doing the QC.

• Angry
Reactions: Big Bo

It's not like they've had 10 months to get all those issues ironed out......

I dont think the management team will be very happy to see a purple colored turret left the facility. Not really something that should get overlooked.

Well, now they know that Freddy in QC is color blind so that hurdle has been cleared.

And my issue I posted earlier with the scope with the wrong reticle in the box.
Definitely a lot of qc issues...
I'm not too happy about the prices dropped this fast either.

There hasnt been a lot of QC issues.

Rate of return has been very low, although it may not look like it from the few issues we've seen here..

Just an FYI, over 400 XTR3's produced, only one known issue with glass. A few issues with mechanical, none of them turret or tracking related. Hopefully they'll catch the cosmetic stuff going forward.

It's still on track and meeting expectations for being a pretty decent rollout.

I am no fan of Burris- actually quite the opposite. But the other day I got to use a buddies XTR3 and was surprisingly impressed. It was a nice optic and the glass was great. It did what my xtr2 could never do- and that was perform in tough conditions. I wont be buying one- but that's just because of how bad of an experience I had with customer service on my xtr2. If I hadn't dealt with them before I would be after the 3.

I am no fan of Burris- actually quite the opposite. But the other day I got to use a buddies XTR3 and was surprisingly impressed. It was a nice optic and the glass was great. It did what my xtr2 could never do- and that was perform in tough conditions. I wont be buying one- but that's just because of how bad of an experience I had with customer service on my xtr2. If I hadn't dealt with them before I would be after the 3.
There is nothing worse than a bad experience with a company no matter how good their product may be. Customer Service can sometimes make it or break it for us. I have had mixed luck with Burris/Steiner products and it seems sometimes like QA/CS issues can arise. That being said, I agree with you, the XTR III is the real deal, I am finalizing my review but so far the "new" scope I've received is quite impressive for the price, dare I say the best < $2k scope I've seen to date.

My warranty service on a burris issue was super quick.

I got in my car, drove there in 10 minutes, and they had a new one for me right there on the spot. This was for the 1-8 XTRII
Well that's not very fair when it's only 10 minutes from your house :LOL: It's about 3 hours from my house, but UPS picked up and delivered in one day in state which was unexpected!

I'm really happy with my warranty claim as far as how fast and easily it was handled.

BUT my only complaint was that it was a $1700 mix up and I never heard from a single Person, even after calling twice and putting my number in the call back queue both times.
I even emailed them after the fact as well as filled out a survey (5 stars) , saying how much I appreciated the quick remedy but would have liked to have some person to person communication, and still got nothing back.

@tam4511 When and what did the prices of the scopes drop to and from?

They started at 1800 I believe, a couple places are already selling at 1400-1500.

Last edited: