Casio Pathfinder PAG40-5V Review

LoneWolfUSMC

Lt. Colonel
Minuteman
Jan 9, 2008
Southern Indiana
www.8541tactical.com
I have seen several threads appear on this board about watches, so I figured I would offer up my initial review of the Casio Pathfinder PAG40-5V.

The watch includes several features that would be useful to a precision shooter. These include compass (fields of fire), barometric pressure, altitude and temperature (density altitude).

I will be continuing to beat this watch up and update my review. I also plan on doing some accuracy checking against my Kestrel to see if this will be a viable backup.

8541 Tactical - Casio Pathfinder Review

pag405v_7126.jpg

Re: Casio Pathfinder PAG40-5V Review

Lonewolf,

In addition to the benefits of having data for shooting I am looking for a compass capable of giving me accurate headings while running tracks with my K9. If you get a chance check it against a good quality lensatic compass and let me know what you think. We run our training tracks with a pace count and azimuth to insure that the dog is on the correct track and this could certainly work well for that. Thanks for the review and looking forward to future post.

I've had my Pathfinder (PAG-80) since Aug 2007 and it's been great! It's been all over the world with me and has seen some pretty harsh weather. I love the fact that mine is solar powered, so I don't have to worry about replacing batteries. It gets beat up all the time and doesn't show much wear. I swim in the pool with it daily when I'm back home. The chemicals don't seem to phase it at all. The only thing I have noticed, is the temp on it is off in cooler weather, if you have it on your wrist for taking measurments. Seems to read the head from your body too. If I want an accurate reading with it, I just take it off and let it sit by itself for several minutes. After looking at your watch, looks like they moved the sensor so it might not have this problem any more.
The functions on it are good. The multi time zones are perfect. I keep the main local and my second Zulu or whatever the time is back home. It's very easy to switch back and forth if I need to change between them. All and all, great watch with minor complaints. Might have to look into a new one when this one dies. Would like one that was subdued, since mine has a bezel on it that's a bit flashy. I'll try and get some pics of it up for people to compare the two if you want.

I bought a Pathfider a year ago and while I liked all of the features it did not keep accurate time. The watch lost 12 seconds a month. When I called Casio they stated that + or - 15 seconds a month is within their acceptable range. While it's acceptable to them it wasn't to me. I decided to give it another try and ended up with another Casio. This time a Solar / Atomic Pathfinder. I have checked the time on several occassions againt the USNO and it is dead nuts on. I have recalibrated the declination in the compass and it appears to match reading pretty well to my Garmin 60CSx and Silva compasses.

I have the PAW1100t titanium with the titanium band. It is a great watch. It helps to have the compass and altimeter when I get lost mt. biking. It's atomic and solar. Temp and barometer.

Not my pic:
PAW1100T.wrist.front.jpg

I looked everywhere in my area to check out the Casio brand since they get such great reviews. Could not find a store with any variety, maybe one G-shock in stock. I finally found a Timex Expedition w/ compass for $45. I've been beating it up pretty good this summer and the compass is accurate. If I ever find a good Casio dealer I'll probably jump on one too...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ghogs Nightmare</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Didnt see it listed, does this have the "auto light" feature to it? Could see it being handy HOWEVER could see times when i WOULDNT want it lit automatically. (based on description from casio's site):
</div></div>

You can turn the auto light feature off and on (on my Pathfinder you can anyway) I keep it off b/c it is annoying to me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ghogs Nightmare</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Didnt see it listed, does this have the "auto light" feature to it? Could see it being handy HOWEVER could see times when i WOULDNT want it lit automatically. (based on description from casio's site):
</div></div>

Yes it has the feature, but it is not enabled out of the box. I have not turned it on yet because I do believe it would be a tactical issue.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ghogs Nightmare</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Didnt see it listed, does this have the "auto light" feature to it? Could see it being handy HOWEVER could see times when i WOULDNT want it lit automatically. (based on description from casio's site):
</div></div>

Yes it has the feature, but it is not enabled out of the box. I have not turned it on yet because I do believe it would be a tactical issue. </div></div>
Precisely dear watson
wink.gif

hmmmm mine has bare metal exposed from all the abuse it has taken. I like the looks of yours. Maybe time for a new one.

I've had my 2271 PAG40 since mid 08 it's a good solid watch. Before that had the GShock Mudman which was good in the fact it had a count down timer.
Other than that, it's good to go. Your tan one looks slick man.

Platypus, I think you'll find the small strap Silva compasses are more helpful as the digi compass lags a bit. When scouting it's much easier to have a quick glance than mess about with the watch.

i have the pag40 as well. i like it for the most part but there are some issues i think need addressed. i wish it had the capability to accuratley provide temp while on your wrist. it does not. you must remove it for a while to get an accurate temp and baro reading.

the compass so far has been close enough to my cammenga that i cannot really see a difference in heading.

the rest of the watch functions flawlessly and even recently took a serious ass beating in the atlantic with no issues from salt water. did get some crusty sand under the bezel ring but oh well.

all in all it is a good watch and works. my .02