Details and rules for ELR&ULR

223 Ack, 220swft imp, 6BR, 6ppc, 243 Ack, 6.5x47L, .6.5x284, 308. Most on Rem actions, three on Benchrest actions. My old benchest guns, 3" stocks right bolt left port.
If I start shooting long range will I get to build a new rifle?

Kinda depends how far you want to shoot. For "regular" elr (say out to 1500) your 6mm stuff & 6.5 x 47 will serve well (if the winds not really honkin') for fun stuff & the 6.5x284 would do just fine at a mile plus. For real elr/ulr competition however entry level would be 300WM and other 30 caliber magnums. From there you'd go to .338 magnums & on up to the probably most popular all around ULR caliber, the 375CT or some other version of the 408 case.The 416 barrett is starting to catch on too & probably represents the future but not many are using that round yet. With the exception of the Ko2m, most "grass roots" type of ELR competing have a 338 class and from there it's pretty much open to whatever. As the sport develops I would expect to eventually start seeing more divisions.

Last edited:
My 6.5x284 starting the 139gr Lapua at 2980 fps is supersonic to 1700 yards. That should let me know if I can go further. I also have a 6x284 arrell with only 600 rounds through it but it's a 10 twist so would not stabilize the heavy vlds. I was shooting the 87gr Vmax before I put the 6.5 on it. The 90 gr Lapuas might work in it.
Thanks for te feedback think I'll try and get some more time at longer range, my gun club only goes to 200 yds, but my PD shooting partner has a 600 yard range at his place. Could spend a couple of days with him. One of the 243 Ackleys is on a Stolle action with a pretty fresh Hart barrel.
Of coarse, nothing wrong with building a fresh rifle!
Thanks Captain