First Round Hits, now automated?

RollingThunder51

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 15, 2009
U.S.A.
http://kitup.military.com/2011/09/first-round-hits-now-automated.html?ESRC=navy.nl

"First Round Hits, now automated?

by Jack Murphy on September 29, 2011 · Comments (32)

Long distance sniper rifle, wind meter, laser range finder, calculator, and more…can it all be combined into one package?

Part of me always wondered why the defense industry never joined a sniper’s scope and a laser range finder together. Once the target was lased, the scope could electronically calculate the correct data and display how many clicks the shooter needs to come up or down, or better yet, automatically set the sights for you to bring your reticule to the correct position. An engineer once told me that something similar to this had been accomplished way back in the 90′s with the first Land Warrior program but got scrapped when the rest of the platform was dropped by the Pentagon.

Now it looks like Lockheed Martin and DARPA are carrying the baton forward with the Mission Systems and Sensors, or MS2, program having developed a viable proof of concept prototype:

“The [MS2] system demonstrated the capability to measure the average down range crosswind profile, the range to the target, spotter scope position, target heading, air temperature, pressure and humidity… These measurements were used to calculate the ballistic solution for a 0.308 bullet. The ballistic solution with azimuth/elevation coordinates and range were used to calculate the aim point offset and displayed as a red cross (+) in the dedicated rifle scope. The aim point offset was adjusted for the rifle scope crosshair zero and magnification settings. The displayed red cross, which was updated with varying crosswind conditions, was the new aim point to adjust the gun position and hit the target.”

The reticule mechanism sounds similar to that of the Mk47 grenade launcher’s sighting system which ranges the target and than displays a dot on the optic showing the point of aim that the user needs to fire at in order to hit his target.

I would be fascinated to know how the sensor package actually works, specifically how it intends calculate wind speed down range. Measuring the wind at the sniper’s firing position is easy, but not always helpful. Generally the sniper gauges the wind two third of the way to his target where it is most likely to effect the bullet’s trajectory as the round is bleeding off some it’s velocity.

“The system developed should provide the capability to profile downrange crosswind and range to target in near real time, replacing the current spotter scope and complementing the rifle scope used by sniper teams.”

Read more: http://kitup.military.com/2011/09/first-round-hits-now-automated.html#ixzz1ZvfXLPnk
Kit Up! '

Re: First Round Hits, now automated?

I agree, down range wind would be interesting. That is the new technology here that I see in this story.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would be fascinated to know how the sensor package actually works, specifically how it intends calculate wind speed down range. Measuring the wind at the sniper’s firing position is easy, but not always helpful. Generally the sniper gauges the wind two third of the way to his target where it is most likely to effect the bullet’s trajectory as the round is bleeding off some it’s velocity.</div></div>

Well, let's just say that if a human eye can "read" the wind by observing mirage, then an optical system can perform the same task but with potentially much better results (especially with an artificial source of illumination). That should be enough of a thought-starter
wink.gif

It's based on the same laser inferometer used for high-angle mortar fire. The main issues are still the size, weight and power consumption. Rest assured, it WILL happen, just not real soon.

I was at the early T&E of something like this 2 years ago... I saw it in action, although the unit I saw looked like the Borg made it... it still worked, to include hitting a moving target by just following it with the rifle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was at the early T&E of something like this 2 years ago... I saw it in action, although the unit I saw looked like the Borg made it... it still worked, to include hitting a moving target by just following it with the rifle. </div></div>

Does it track dead on? Or do you hang on one edge/side of the target or lead it?

I'm thinking if this works anything like an auto camera focus, once you need too big of a lead the rangefinder is going to start picking up the next thing in front of your moving target.

Edit: And, obviously, adjusting for range.

Research on this piece of equipment may have been stopped because electronics always seem to fail when you need them the most. Murphy's Law cannot be trumped!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mrjimsfc</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Research on this piece of equipment may have been stopped because electronics always seem to fail when you need them the most. Murphy's Law cannot be trumped! </div></div>

Unit I saw had a back up BDC Type reticle in it. The computer used a projection over it, but there was an alternative to the computer. So I doubt they stopped it.

It worked quite well 2 yrs ago. Untrained scientist had no problem hitting targets with it just randomly walking them around and with nothing but the rifle and scope saying, now hit that. Without the computer they were lucky to hit the dirt, with it, was a whole different ball game. I wouldn't stand, or run in front of them when that thing was turned on. The mover feature was more impressive than the wind.

Damn! Amazing what technology can do these days. Still waiting for the rifle that can shoot by itself once you enter in the image of the intended target. Figure, it wont be too far ahead. LOL.