• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Gunsmithing fitting gun for handicapped shooter

koginam

Private
Minuteman
Jan 9, 2007
We have been asked to help set up a hunting rifle for a young man who lost his right hand and has a prosthetic hook from the wrist down. I have built several rifles for handicapped people even some for paraplegics and we have set up some strange but safe and affective devises. but this one stumps me maybe because I met this guy and was affected by his story. If anyone has an idea on some way to do this lets hear it.

Re: fitting gun for handicapped shooter

Since he will be unable to "feel" the trigger, maybe some kind of hydraulic mechanism recessed in the forearm that can be squeezed with his left hand. Or possibly a ball that he could bite down on.
I see no "safe" options but it will be very hard for him to aim and engage the trigger without accidentally bumping it off.

Good luck and let us know what you come up with!

Re: fitting gun for handicapped shooter

All very good ideas.
I just received a suggestion from one of our first year gunsmith apprentices (also the youngest apprentice in the program 16 yrs old) that I think will work, it uses a bullpup trigger configuration with a pistol grip on the forearm and the trigger in the pistol grip. The shooter would still have the feel of the trigger.
That's one suggestion anyway.
19scout77 I have e-mailed each of the contacts thank you very much.