• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Food riots thread…and energy.

They don't always flash. Just guessing but that pipe was probably operating in the 550-750psi range, when it let go, it is like an explosion with or w/o fire because it probably blew down 8-15 miles of pipe. Rocks, parts of pipe, static electricity, etc could have ignited it. I'm just glat it wasn't a farmer working that wet it off. It will depressure VERY quickly as normally 1-2+ 40ft joints of pipe open up. The original defect may have only inches or feet, but once it goes it will rip parent pipe and/or possible follow the long seam. What probably stopped propagation is a circumferential weld.
I have been on more than my share of these. I even investigated one where a new pipeline blew. I saw the black smoke from my office in Houston. Got out here and asked what they were doing. Response I got was they were running a smart pig to check the new pipe, were running it in a diesel slug, with an air compressor. I said, do you know what a diesel engine is? They destroyed a $250K smart pig, a lot of pipe, and were about 2 feet off other operating pipelines.

Looks like the smart pig......is now a dumb pig

glasses1.gif

Reactions: Hobo Hilton
They don't always flash. Just guessing but that pipe was probably operating in the 550-750psi range, when it let go, it is like an explosion with or w/o fire because it probably blew down 8-15 miles of pipe. Rocks, parts of pipe, static electricity, etc could have ignited it. I'm just glat it wasn't a farmer working that wet it off. It will depressure VERY quickly as normally 1-2+ 40ft joints of pipe open up. The original defect may have only inches or feet, but once it goes it will rip parent pipe and/or possible follow the long seam. What probably stopped propagation is a circumferential weld.
I have been on more than my share of these. I even investigated one where a new pipeline blew. I saw the black smoke from my office in Houston. Got out here and asked what they were doing. Response I got was they were running a smart pig to check the new pipe, were running it in a diesel slug, with an air compressor. I said, do you know what a diesel engine is? They destroyed a $250K smart pig, a lot of pipe, and were about 2 feet off other operating pipelines.
Your comment brought back memories of cutting out both smart pigs and dumb pigs... Usually at a road crossing where the main was reduced in order to get through an existing casing under the road.... No other sound like a pig hitting a reducer near a pipe rack with fuel oil, gasoline and naphtha... :(

Your comment brought back memories of cutting out both smart pigs and dumb pigs... Usually at a road crossing where the main was reduced in order to get through an existing casing under the road.... No other sound like a pig hitting a reducer near a pipe rack with fuel oil, gasoline and naphtha... :(
All I found was little bitty parts.
With all the turnover in industry all the “old timers” are gone along with the knowledge. Lots of as built drawings are not correct no matter how often updates were sent to the home office. It wasn’t a priority. Now all the new guys don’t know where some of those reducer are like the old guys. You could foam pigs through them, cup pigs were a risk, a big risk.
I got called one time to get sphere pigs out of an offshore 24”. Took 2 weeks to go through records and notes to determine they had no clue how many pigs were in the line.
I ended up getting 13 out back to the launching platform. Most were destroyed. Hard part was getting when up the riser!
I got a ding on my performance review because it cost so much. I responded it was a whole lot cheaper that cutting out sections underwater until you found pigs! FUc$ you.

All I found was little bitty parts.
With all the turnover in industry all the “old timers” are gone along with the knowledge. Lots of as built drawings are not correct no matter how often updates were sent to the home office. It wasn’t a priority. Now all the new guys don’t know where some of those reducer are like the old guys. You could foam pigs through them, cup pigs were a risk, a big risk.
I got called one time to get sphere pigs out of an offshore 24”. Took 2 weeks to go through records and notes to determine they had no clue how many pigs were in the line.
I ended up getting 13 out back to the launching platform. Most were destroyed. Hard part was getting when up the riser!
I got a ding on my performance review because it cost so much. I responded it was a whole lot cheaper that cutting out sections underwater until you found pigs! FUc$ you.
If they thought that goat roping was expensive, just wait until you retire and take your "Bucket of Tricks" with you. I know about under water. That is me in the photo. Wrestling a pig under water does not sound like fun.

Attachments

• Scan_Pic0005.jpg
    Scan_Pic0005.jpg
    345.8 KB · Views: 65
Reactions: KZP and devildog93
I have left. They didn’t like a white haired old man telling them they were stupid and full of shit.
Oh and they are suffering. I will take calls from certain people but not others.
Some of the best people I know were divers that moved up to manage boats and project. Good one can do just about anything. One in particular I think could make gold out of rebar if you asked him. Give him a pile of what most call scrap, and he could make almost anything you asked him to.
He is on speed dial!

"Food" is changing...
I am a good cook. Not a professional chef but I get no complaints when I serve a meal. I take my time with cooking, use many different spices and attempt to keep the seasonings in line with the local customs.
I am noticing more and more how the produce, spices, mixes and everything with components is not as good or consistent as it was a few years back.
Bought a bag of plain russet potatoes. Boiled them for potato salad. Same pot, same temp, same water, a bit of salt in the water but the center was not cooked and the outside was getting mushy. When choosing the supposedly fresh veggies at the store, I look at where the stem was cut. Everything has a brown stem cut. Apples look great until they are pealed and the dark spots show up.
Bread flour does not rise the same. Even my sour dough starter struggles...
I pulled a Wala Wala onion from my garden this morning and in 5 minutes it was in my slow cooker. It was nice and far from the quality that the grocery store has. So, this is not my imagination. I'm hearing that more "fillers" are being added to wheat, corn and soy powders.
Fortunate to have my garden as well as a organic farm across the road from me.
Any of you guys in the restaurant business noticing a change in quality ?

"Food" is changing...
I am a good cook. Not a professional chef but I get no complaints when I serve a meal. I take my time with cooking, use many different spices and attempt to keep the seasonings in line with the local customs.
I am noticing more and more how the produce, spices, mixes and everything with components is not as good or consistent as it was a few years back.
Bought a bag of plain russet potatoes. Boiled them for potato salad. Same pot, same temp, same water, a bit of salt in the water but the center was not cooked and the outside was getting mushy. When choosing the supposedly fresh veggies at the store, I look at where the stem was cut. Everything has a brown stem cut. Apples look great until they are pealed and the dark spots show up.
I pulled a Wala Wala onion from my garden this morning and in 5 minutes it was in my slow cooker. It was nice and far from the quality that the grocery store has. So, this is not my imagination. I'm hearing that more "fillers" are being added to wheat, corn and soy powders.

I think part of what could explain what you are experiencing is a lot of the produce and many other things being sold are much older than would normally be sold. In normal times those would have been rejected for being too old, but they are trying to hide the extent of the food shortages so a lot older stuff is getting put on the shelf.

I've noticed that with the eggs I get at the grocery store and the quality of other stuff.

We are also seeing a lot of shrinkflation where the containers are the same but the printing has been slightly changed and they are now no longer filled as full.

Reactions: UKDslayer

I have a friend who used to ask people to tell him: "Name me one thing you bought this week that didn't come to the store or get delivered in a truck?" The next phase of his mania was "How many products do you buy where the packaging, handling, and delivery of that product far exceeds the cost of the actual product you seek?"

The answers are simple - nothing I buy or order didn't come in a truck. The price of fuel, the price of the vehicle and the wages for the driver/deliverer are more than half the price of the product. In products that cost pennies in materials and manufacture, often the cost of packaging and distribution is multiple times what the product is worth - literally if yer buying a $5 item $4 of the cost is packaging and delivery.

My perspective is that fully 90% of the current "inflation" is caused by the fact that the cost of fuel. packaging, and delivery has sky rocketed in the last 2 years (globally) and the fact that the companies producing these items have no/little competition and are using Global supply issues to justify charging outrageous rates for products. Because you can't get it anywhere else so you buy their inflated bullshit or do without. Many of these companies will post record profits for 2022 and use this profitability to buy back their own stock at the lowest prices in years. Which is how their officers and CEO's get paid - in stock.

With a little research you can find that these companies have paid yer Representation and Politicians (Globally) to "look the other way" while they assimilate and dissolve their "competition" and create Monopolies and a lack of competition. We been played, Bitches. *ALL* of this Global Inflation/Pandemic/Fall Out has been bought and paid for and calculated to make the .01% Filthy Rich while fleecing the people who actually did the Work and saved their money like good kids. There are "Globally/In the US" literally *TRILLIONS* of dollars in wealth saved and accumulated and the .01% Want. That. Wealth.

Control of the fuel prices and ownership of yer Representation is designed and calculated to liquidate the Working Class Globally. We can't stop it. We. Been. Played. Watch for The Crash - Film at 11 courtesy of the MSM and their fake news.

VooDoo

I think part of what could explain what you are experiencing is a lot of the produce and many other things being sold are much older than would normally be sold. In normal times those would have been rejected for being too old, but they are trying to hide the extent of the food shortages so a lot older stuff is getting put on the shelf.

I've noticed that with the eggs I get at the grocery store and the quality of other stuff.

We are also seeing a lot of shrinkflation where the containers are the same but the printing has been slightly changed and they are now no longer filled as full.
It may be pure laziness but I have also been to the store several times in the past couple weeks and seen expired goods on the shelves and being sold.

I don’t go to the store often but I haven’t noticed any shortages in my area, but that could be due to my location. However, I have noticed the quality of food dwindling and package size/ contents decreasing while costs remain high or continue to increase. Just from my observations though, it doesn’t seem to be having a significant impact on shoppers though.

It may be pure laziness but I have also been to the store several times in the past couple weeks and seen expired goods on the shelves and being sold.

I don’t go to the store often but I haven’t noticed any shortages in my area, but that could be due to my location. However, I have noticed the quality of food dwindling and package size/ contents decreasing while costs remain high or continue to increase. Just from my observations though, it doesn’t seem to be having a significant impact on shoppers though.
American's are dumber than the people of Third World countries. Shoppers in Third World countries go to "the market", speak with the people that grew or produced the food. They understand the meaning of fresh without preservatives.
People in Third world countries "do without" as it is the culture. American culture says no one should do without. Government money makes sure no one does without.
How much is spent feeding meals to kids at school who have two working parents ?

Propaganda

Reactions: Jgunner
American's are dumber than the people of Third World countries. Shoppers in Third World countries go to "the market", speak with the people that grew or produced the food. They understand the meaning of fresh without preservatives.
People in Third world countries "do without" as it is the culture. American culture says no one should do without. Government money makes sure no one does without.
How much is spent feeding meals to kids at school who have two working parents ?

Propaganda
Preaching to the choir friend. I have been fortunate to travel to other countries and experience different ways of life, whether it was for leisure, family, or travels with Uncle Sugar. I've traded, bartered and experienced different levels of hospitality with those same people.

Dumber or not, I am sure it would be safe to say that many Americans haven't had to face the hardships those in Third World Countries have had to face and it certainly contributes to a lack resourcefulness and dependency on handouts. Until that stops and the hard times commence, the question on my mind is the what level of change will we see in people?

As to the free meals for school kids with working parents, I know all about it and it is a tremendous amount of waste, both in terms of government spending and food waste.

Propaganda
Respectfully, no. I have been to those third world countries. They don’t buy not because it is their culture, they buy the way they do because many earn less than $1 a day. If they had more money they would buy more junk food as well. Those there that have some means buy just like us as much as possible.

The thing you said I agree with is they aren’t dumb. When no one is coming to save you you or provide a “social safety net” you don’t live long if you are stupid. The women in those places usually control the purse strings and spend the money as wisely as they can for the most part. Many of the men blow it on booze or other stuff if given half a chance. Not all to be sure, but a good percentage.

These carrots woke up this morning, in the ground. They will go to bed tonight in Mason jars.View attachment 7914309
Take about 8-10 of those carrots, slice into 1/8-1/4" thick slices, put in a saute pan with about 3/4 stick butter, maybe 1/4 cup brown sugar, add some cinnamon and/or nutmeg, maybe a splash of vanilla, cover tight, and leave them on low fire for about 20-30 minutes till tender.
Candied carrots rock.
One of the best side dishes out there, great with pork chops or fried chicken.

Reactions: tomcatmv
"Food" is changing...

100% agree. Even when I buy meat - they not only have 1/2 of fat on the back facing the foam packaging, they even leave the skin on. I would rather pay an extra $1/lb to not have to field dress my groceries. I just cut opened a new honeydew a few minutes ago. No sweetness. I even gave the center pieces to my dog and she spit it out too. Looked fine on the outside.

I don't know how much my taste has change from having COVID - I've been blaming the "Yuck" on that. Has any one noticed that even Sprite and Coke have changed? (I know I shouldn't be drinking from Coca-cola - but I need to add something to my cheap whiskey and rum now that I'm on a low budget).

100% agree. Even when I buy meat - they not only have 1/2 of fat on the back facing the foam packaging, they even leave the skin on. I would rather pay an extra $1/lb to not have to field dress my groceries. I just cut opened a new honeydew a few minutes ago. No sweetness. I even gave the center pieces to my dog and she spit it out too. Looked fine on the outside.

I don't know how much my taste has change from having COVID - I've been blaming the "Yuck" on that. Has any one noticed that even Sprite and Coke have changed? (I know I shouldn't be drinking from Coca-cola - but I need to add something to my cheap whiskey and rum now that I'm on a low budget).
I have not had COVID or the shot... Nothing. My taste buds are intact. Just laugh at this one.
When I throw scraps over the fence to my chickens and they turn and run the other way, that is my verification that something is amiss.
I have a big tree with a platform of roots on one side. I put food stuff out for the critters, also. If the coon's and Magpies won't eat it, again, something is wrong.
Beware... That irritable bowel syndrome, heartburn and runs are an encouragement to check what you are eating. A USDA stamp means nothing.

Perhaps try Grey Goose Citron Vodka splashed into a cup of white grapefruit juice for something different at a cheap price?

Nice berries...
Greenhouse produce sucks. Beautiful but no taste. My neighbor runs a big greenhouse operation for tomatoes, strawberries, hemp, etc. The only benefit is they are available outside the growing season. Again beautiful product but do not touch the local field grown and he shuts down when regular growing season starts. Maybe these people do something different but my neighbor is probably the best and sharpest/modern farmer around here and if there was a better way he'd be doing it.

Last edited:
A business can not survive very long with massive theft. A business will 1) Move, 2) Shut down, 3) Allow a manageable number of shoppers in the store at one time, 4) Only allow one shopper to a shopping cart (no gang of people shopping out of one cart), 5) Have armed security inside and outside the one public exit. There are stores now that take orders and deliver them to the buyer under a covered canopy. Many stores do not allow the public inside. Pay with a CC so there is not even any cash to steal.... It's coming to that, soon.

Reactions: MJF and UKDslayer
A business can not survive very long with massive theft. A business will 1) Move, 2) Shut down, 3) Allow a manageable number of shoppers in the store at one time, 4) Only allow one shopper to a shopping cart (no gang of people shopping out of one cart), 5) Have armed security inside and outside the one public exit. There are stores now that take orders and deliver them to the buyer under a covered canopy. Many stores do not allow the public inside. Pay with a CC so there is not even any cash to steal.... It's coming to that, soon.

Just like prison, fun!

3 hots and a cot.
Can you still collect Social sec when you in prison; or do they 'hold' it for you until you get out?
The "fabric" of a culture has worn thin due to many factor's. Failed social experiments that continue to be tried, over and over.... Hoping for a different result. Failed social experiments have resulted in prison overpopulation, felons on the streets, liberal DA's, downsized Law Enforcement, a shortage of workers, inflation from too much free money.

The answer seems to be to disarm the honest people.
From JW Rawels:

First, foremost, and for your immediate action on mitigation: Have you seen this bill, now undergoing markup, in congress? H.R. 1808. This is REALLY bad legislation: This ban is like a flashback to 1994, but even worse. It is patterned after California’s notoriously-bad semi-auto and magazine bans. Unlike the Federal 1994-2004 ban, it has NO sunset clause! It includes a ban on new 11+ round magazines, it would ban any semi-auto pistols with a threaded muzzle — even .22 rimfire pistols. It would also vaguely ban the production of any parts that make semi-autos shoot at a higher rate of fire — i.e. anything short of full auto, such as binary triggers, forced reset triggers, or even short-reset/match triggers. The bill’s text does NOT properly define “designed or functions to accelerate the rate of fire of a semiautomatic firearm”, so bans on parts would presumably be left up to the ATF. And, unlike the Federal 1994-2004 ban, this bill bans private transfers of grandfathered so-called “assault” guns. All of those would then have to be sold through FFLs, with a background check and a Form 4473 put on file. This legislation is evil. It is aimed at disarming the citizenry of the guns that are most capable of repelling an invasion, or overthrowing a tyrant.

Markup of the bill is scheduled to begin in the House today. According to the Firearms Policy Coalition (FPC), Pelosi & Company are making moves behind closed doors to send H.R. 1808 to a House floor vote next week. This bill will surely sail through the House, but it might be stoppable in the U.S. Senate. Please contact your state’s two U.S. Senators and urge them to do everything in their power to stop the Senate version of this bill. (A Senate bill number has not yet been assigned.) Please urge them to filibuster it, but first add several “killer” amendments.

Some suggested killer amendments:

• Adding the Hearing Protection Act, removing silencers/suppressors from the NFA.
  • Remove short-barreled rifles and shotguns from the NFA.
  • Implement nationwide reciprocity for concealed carry permits. (Under the Equal Protection clause — just like various drivers’ licenses are recognized in all 50 states, the territories, and DC.)
  • Reverse the Hughes Amendment to FOPA-’86, thereby re-opening the registry for new privately-owned machineguns.
  • Declare a 180-day registration amnesty for all NFA items, with no tax or just a $5 tax on each registration, during that amnesty.
  • Redefine the term “antique firearm” to be any gun or receiver more than 70 years old.

As a fallback, in the event that you hear that “compromise negotiations” are in progress on H.R. 1808 between the Democrats and the RINOs in the Senate, stock up HEAVILY on current configuration ARs — with pistol grips and threaded muzzles. Also, buy up your lifetime supply of 11+ round magazines and links/belts. And, if it starts to look like the passage of this bill is a certainty, then expend some of your savings or even borrow money from within your family to buy additional ARs and full-capacity magazines for every gun that you own or that you plan to own! I fully expect magazines to triple in price, within a year, if this bill passes in both chambers of congress. Stack them deep!

o o o

I don’t cruise the news often but I came across this earlier and found it interesting. This is really the first article I’ve seen from MSM that directly mentions food shortages in the US and that it’s not on potato joes’ radar.

Since it was mentioned in the interview that the soaring cost of goods is going to be on the forefront of voters minds, I’d be curious if any changes come November will be to late. It’s starting to sound like it will be a bleak winter winter for many. https://www.foxnews.com/media/natio...warning-biden-admin-heading-food-shortage.amp

Edit: just from cruising the inter webs, it looks like food prices are going to increase with inflation but come fall, we may see additional increases.

For those in the know, is it possible for additional increases passed to the consumer after commodities are brought to market in fall?

Last edited:
I don’t cruise the news often but I came across this earlier and found it interesting. This is really the first article I’ve seen from MSM that directly mentions food shortages in the US and that it’s not on potato joes’ radar.

Since it was mentioned in the interview that the soaring cost of goods is going to be on the forefront of voters minds, I’d be curious if any changes come November will be to late. It’s starting to sound like it will be a bleak winter winter for many. https://www.foxnews.com/media/natio...warning-biden-admin-heading-food-shortage.amp

Edit: just from cruising the inter webs, it looks like food prices are going to increase with inflation but come fall, we may see additional increases.

For those in the know, is it possible for additional increases passed to the consumer after commodities are brought to market in fall?
I'll take my best shot at answering your last question.
If you have followed many of my postings, I start with this "Worldwide"...... The food commodities are a worldwide arena. As we sleep here in America the Asian and European markets are active.
Northern and southern hemisphere commodities are brought to the markets at opposite times of our year.
The markets will decide on the value (cost) of food commodities.
The commodities will go to the highest bidder... Just as oil is doing currently.
Short answer: commodity prices will increase.

I'll throw this out as an FYI to find out if anyone else is experiencing this with food / groceries.

I'm 50 miles south of Missoula, MT. The majority of the time I shop in a local grocery store. A month ago I decided to make a similar shopping trip to a newer grocery store in Missoula. It is not a discount store and products are of similar quality. I did that today and after doing some rough math it appears that the local grocery store prices are about 30% higher than the stores closer to I-90. In my case making that shopping trip is roughly a 100 mile round trip, roughly 2 hours of travel time.
Residing well outside of a large city with distribution warehouses is appearing to cost more as inflation continues to rise.

Reactions: Jgunner
I'll throw this out as an FYI to find out if anyone else is experiencing this with food / groceries.

I'm 50 miles south of Missoula, MT. The majority of the time I shop in a local grocery store. A month ago I decided to make a similar shopping trip to a newer grocery store in Missoula. It is not a discount store and products are of similar quality. I did that today and after doing some rough math it appears that the local grocery store prices are about 30% higher than the stores closer to I-90. In my case making that shopping trip is roughly a 100 mile round trip, roughly 2 hours of travel time.
Residing well outside of a large city with distribution warehouses is appearing to cost more as inflation continues to rise.

Everything has to come in on a truck,
The further away you are from the distribution warehouses, the more fuel and driver and fleet mileage costs add to your cost of goods.

In our area it's very much hit and miss, sometimes further out places have better prices on some staples as due to the "economic ability" of the local residents, there is not as much room for "revenue growth" as there is in the more affluent areas.

If you are willing to spend your whole day driving around and hit like 10 different places, (maybe going back to some), you can usually save a bit as different areas have different things cheaper based on the store chain in the area and the local demographics.

When things are on shortage however, around here I found it was the places in the cities and the densely populated, wealthy suburbs that ran out of things first and they were still available in the further out rural or poorer areas. Quite possibly that the rural folks and the poorer folks don't have quite as many Karens with credit cards they can run to the store with and buy loads of whatever their FaceBook friends tell them is going to be in short supply.

Some level of drought across 70% of the US.

Seems 50-70% across the corn belt.

It’s hit and miss in my area. I have had enough rain where others are in a watering ban/limited usage order.

Some level of drought across 70% of the US.

Seems 50-70% across the corn belt.

It’s hit and miss in my area. I have had enough rain where others are in a watering ban/limited usage order.
It was a cold, wet spring here in the Bitterroot Valley. Mother Nature stifled growth of grass / hay, vegetables and even weeds. Hot and dry now but harvest are running 4 - 6 weeks later than normal. Witnessing more large scale irrigation this year than in the past. New wheel lines and circle crops / alfalfa.
Surprisingly, I am seeing more large scale firewood (truck load lodge poll, rounds and split) operations. Appearing people are stocking enough firewood for two winters.
Hay storage is also abundant. New hay barns built and stocked, giant rolls with hay tarps in every pasture. Again, enough hay stored for two winters.
So, what does that tell you ?

Yep, yep, yep
A very general brief:
When Lewis and Clark headed for the West Coast... It was about finding a route to get goods to market. The word that is used over and over in the writings of their expedition was "commerce"... The word money was seldom used. Thomas Jefferson knew that commerce would bring money. America needs commerce today just as much it did then.

Here is a company to watch as the "food" industry evolves. I've enjoyed Nabisco Vanilla Wafers since I was a child. Like other foods, I would not have any for a long period of time but then just want some for a snack. During the time I was away from Vanilla Wafers, Mondelez International bought Nabisco. Now, the packaging says "Nilla Wafers". They are totally different than those I had as a child. No where as good. The ingredients have been cheapened. But, this has become the new norm... A child today would never know the products now produced by a giant conglomerate are being made with cheaper ingredients while the prices continue to rise.
Mondelez has completely changed the history , on the Internet, of Nabisco Vanilla Wafers.
images
1658925144284.jpeg

Reactions: SONIC SAAMI