• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Food riots thread…and energy.

Imf extends a new loan to Pakistan so they can avoid bankruptcy.

Pakistan suffers from poor monetary policy, global inflation and a devastated AG industry.

hope if there are any riots they lead straight to the doors of those responsible local politicians I am more than positive they have more than enough supplies to share with everyone
gettyimages-2014797_wide-63b7c37d4f468e2e77418b22727b0963281bad24.jpg

I passed a cotton field yesterday the farmer was bush hogging BFORE it was picked, probably 100+ ac. It appeared he did not fertilize(?), plants were less than 12", had some cotton on them. Whole field looked very poor.
Fields on both sides had been picked. Prior to picking, these were a good 10" taller with visibly more cotton them.

Was the cut field an experiment?

Likely not. Experiments are done in strips side by side. Very weird. Maybe irrigation failed?

I've been buying the crap out of instant potatoes. They last longer, and hopefully will get me through this 2 year fk'd up Dem policy. I doubt it though. the steal machine has been perfected and the uniparty is in place.

Mashed just doesn't go with a steak, need that baked with sour cream and butter :)
Add instant milk to stash. Then a good multi vitamin.

Price of electricity in Europe has yet to hit the harvesting and distribution chain..
People are starting to get billed though. Saw a bill in Germany 10x for electricity. Saw a residential bill in Ireland at 6x, and that is just so far. There is no way they are plugging the loss of natural gas bringing it in via cargo ship.

People are starting to get billed though. Saw a bill in Germany 10x for electricity. Saw a residential bill in Ireland at 6x, and that is just so far. There is no way they are plugging the loss of natural gas bringing it in via cargo ship.
Yeah and that’s just now when prices are a third of what they will be this winter.

I’m starting to think this might be a repeat. Part of me thinks this might have been Europe’s punishment for wiping out the Templars. But it’s also true that the Templars grew a huge amount of the food back then.

In other news closer to home (this is a good laugh; and suggested read) link

In 2020, Hawaii’s Legislature passed a law banning the use of coal for energy production at the start of 2023. Hawaii has mandated a complete transition to renewable energy by 2045, and was the first state to set such a goal.

Renewable sources meant to replace coal energy are not yet online because of permitting delays, contract issues and pandemic-related supply-chain problems. So the state will instead burn costlier oil, which is only slightly less polluting than coal.

The end of coal and the additional cost of oil will translate to a 7% increase in electricity bills for consumers who already face the nation's highest energy and living costs.

“What we’re doing ... is transitioning from the cheapest fossil fuel to the most expensive fossil fuel,” Wakai said. "And we’re going to be subjected to geopolitical issues on pricing for oil as well as access to oil. ”

Reactions: devildog93

In 2020, Hawaii’s Legislature passed a law banning the use of coal for energy production at the start of 2023. Hawaii has mandated a complete transition to renewable energy by 2045, and was the first state to set such a goal.

Renewable sources meant to replace coal energy are not yet online because of permitting delays, contract issues and pandemic-related supply-chain problems. So the state will instead burn costlier oil, which is only slightly less polluting than coal.

The end of coal and the additional cost of oil will translate to a 7% increase in electricity bills for consumers who already face the nation's highest energy and living costs.

“What we’re doing ... is transitioning from the cheapest fossil fuel to the most expensive fossil fuel,” Wakai said. "And we’re going to be subjected to geopolitical issues on pricing for oil as well as access to oil. ”
Drink some more Koolaid and you will have a better understanding....
Any time now they will bring back the term "Fuzzy Logic" and write a different meaning to the term.
Fuzzy Logic..... :ROFLMAO:

There is nothing renewable about any energy producing system. It all wears out and has to be replaced. Total Cost of Ownership is not something they understand.

They say nothing about capacity and reliability which are the other two legs of this.

One CAT 4 Hurricane and they will want those Coal plants back.

"Most governments instituted measures that prohibited exports of foodstuffs, condemned black market speculators, set price controls on grain and outlawed large-scale fishing. At best, they proved mostly unenforceable and at worst they contributed to a continent-wide downward spiral. The hardest hit lands, like England, were unable to buy grain from France because of the prohibition, and from most of the rest of the grain producers because of crop failures from shortage of labor. Any grain that could be shipped was eventually taken by pirates or looters to be sold on the black market.[17]

Meanwhile, many of the largest countries, most notably England and Scotland, had been at war, using up much of their treasury and creating inflation. In 1337, on the eve of the first wave of the Black Death, England and France went to war in what became known as the Hundred Years' War. This situation was worsened when landowners and monarchs such as Edward III of England (r. 1327–1377) and Philip VI of France (r. 1328–1350), raised the fines and rents of their tenants out of a fear that their comparatively high standard of living would decline.[17]

The European economy entered a vicious circle in which hunger and chronic, low-level debilitating disease reduced the productivity of labourers, and so the grain output was reduced, causing grain prices to increase.[citation needed] Standards of living fell drastically,[dubious – discuss] diets grew more limited, and Europeans as a whole experienced more health problems."

Reactions: Hobo Hilton
There is nothing renewable about any energy producing system. It all wears out and has to be replaced. Total Cost of Ownership is not something they understand.

They say nothing about capacity and reliability which are the other two legs of this.

One CAT 4 Hurricane and they will want those Coal plants back.
just think how much electricity HI will get right before a Hurricane with the wind generation (right before the wind mills get blown over) ;)

Likely not. Experiments are done in strips side by side. Very weird. Maybe irrigation failed?
No irrigation in the fields. If it was an experiment it was a very large failed experiment. I don’t see anyone at this time, waist if that much diesel, time, seed etc for that big of an experiment. He planted at the height of diesel price.

Reactions: Oldloser
No irrigation in the fields. If it was an experiment it was a very large failed experiment. I don’t see anyone at this time, waist if that much diesel, time, seed etc for that big of an experiment. He planted at the height of diesel price.
We call it insurance farming. Plant, ignore, collect more insurance money than the crop would have paid. See it more in tougher weather years by those who do it. Crop insurance is legit for nature and/or chemical disasters but some play the system and help it along.

I've also never lived through the Depression or a food crisis. It's not ideal but I prefer to keep my options open. And the alternative seems less desirable. Also, you get to decide who, and more importantly who not to, rent a room to if you own the house. But if you've got this handled, more power to ya.
This is like those rich MF's who own huge ranches in Montana, and expect that in a major crisis they will be able to go from Hollywood to their ranch and just move right in, thinking that their Ranch Manager who has all that food stocked and his own family on the land and his own small army, and all his local contacts, is going to let him/her in there. Not to mention, they aren't going to be able to even leave said stricken area.
Anybody inside your perimeter, not already fully vetted is a liability.

This is like those rich MF's who own huge ranches in Montana, and expect that in a major crisis they will be able to go from Hollywood to their ranch and just move right in, thinking that their Ranch Manager who has all that food stocked and his own family on the land and his own small army, and all his local contacts, is going to let him/her in there. Not to mention, they aren't going to be able to even leave said stricken area.
Anybody inside your perimeter, not already fully vetted is a liability.
I like the way you phrased that.

Doing some mental Math here…

California eliminates gas cars in 13 years. Auto companies are already shutting down gas car production to shift to EV’s.

Where is the electricity to charge them going to come from?

Can the local power lines even handle every house on the block charging 2 electric cars at once? Who is building the power infrastructure just for ‘last mile?’

How about the power plants? Already strained and they keep shutting them down?

Where is all this magic power coming from?

Just wondering….

Sirhr

California eliminates gas cars in 13 years. Auto companies are already shutting down gas car production to shift to EV’s.

Can the local power lines even handle every house on the block charging 2 electric cars at once? Who is building the power infrastructure just for ‘last mile?’

Just wondering….

Sirhr

Government knows it won't be possible to keep current normal transportation volume of vehicles we use today by forcing EV. The goal is to make it a privilege to those they choose. It's a true conspiracy actively working to convert the world back to serfdom.

EDIT: Eventually they will admit there is an issue. Drivers licenses won't be given out to anyone who wants one. Think of the old New York CCW requirements. Need a "valid" reason for them to give you one. This is where the whole license needed to drive requirement will destroy private transportation. They will argue it's not a right to have a vehicle as it's been done before, therefore mega restrictions are legal.

Last edited:
Reactions: WaltHer

Just wondering….

Sirhr
I can answer your question about power plants.... This is what I did before retiring... Photo is a 600MW plant... Takes about 6 years to "Turn Key" one from the time the land is acquired and permits approved. Breaking ground until time it hooks to the grid is about 3 - 4 years, depending on material. It would take 7 power plants like this one to charge all the Tesla's I can answer your question about power plants.... This is what I did before retiring... Photo is a 600MW plant... Takes about 6 years to "Turn Key" one from the time the land is acquired and permits approved. Breaking ground until time it hooks to the grid is about 3 - 4 years, depending on material. It would take 7 power plants like this one to charge all the Tesla's built in one year.
Copy of CRW_0014_JFR.JPG

If you have 30k-40k or so this electricity shortage is a nonissue. (For the most part)

This of course depending on your location.

Think about that first statement I just made.

I’m saying most can get an off grid supply of electricity starting around that price point and going up.

Now with that said. How many can afford that.

But if you can pay that annually I’m sure your fine as well.

How long before “private grids” pop up?

I’m saying most can get an off grid supply of electricity starting around that price point and going up.

Now with that said. How many can afford that.

But if you can pay that annually I’m sure your fine as well.

How long before “private grids” pop up?
When you can offer an off grid setup that needs no battery you will have my attention. In the mean time buy land with trees that can be turned into firewood.. The same can be said about a Tesla... The model with no battery will be a big seller. Buy land that can grow hay / feed for a mule.
The carbon foot print will still be here when we are all long gone.

Reactions: mfox497
When you can offer an off grid setup that needs no battery you will have my attention. In the mean time buy land with trees that can be turned into firewood.. The same can be said about a Tesla... The model with no battery will be a big seller. Buy land that can grow hay / feed for a mule.
The carbon foot print will still be here when we are all long gone.
Well.

I’m sure you could do some type of steam generator that used firewood as fuel.

Any energy source will need to come from some other type of source. A battery is just a storage device for when that source isn’t available ( a source in and of itself). Kinda like a generator. ( very basic view )

There is no magic bullet for this. IMO find one that’s controlled as much as possible by YOU. Then isolate and secure it.

Last edited:
Well.

I’m sure you could do some type of steam generator that used firewood as fuel.

Any energy source will need to come from some other type of source. A battery is just a storage device for when that source isn’t available ( a source in and of itself). Kinda like a generator. ( very basic view )

There is no magic bullet for this. IMO find one that’s controlled as much as possible by YOU. Then isolate and secure it.
I'd like to know what the "mark up" is in batteries. As far as hand held power tools go.... When a battery in one of my tools dies, the replacement cost of a battery is more than 50% of the cost to replace the entire package with a new battery and tool.. I was in a pawn shop this week and they were selling used power tools without a battery... Their asking price + a new battery = more than the cost of a new package unit. When finding a parts vehicle (car, tractor, 4 wheeler) the first thing missing is the battery... For the convenience of "portability" we are paying a premium.

I think we will see many new alternatives as the cost of oil and gas increase.

Last edited:
Cash.

That’s opening price. Costs can go up depending on how fancy you want to get.
Ok… that’s a fair number. But what about the engineering? On a suburban lot can you put in enough solar panel square footage? For house heating and EV?

And by “off grid” you really only mean electrical grid. Not water or food, etc. does your charged Prius do any good if the rest of the city is in grid collapse?

It’s all a system with, I’ll argue, a delicate balance. Ok, $40k plus buys you a charged car. But what else will go haywire? Water pumping? Gas delivery? How do you make a living? Does the neighborhood even let you put up solar cells? So many ‘neighborhood’ Karen’s won’t let you put up a bird feeder. So…. Does money alone solve anything?

Again, fossil fuels have three huge advantages…. Energy density and transportability and storability.

Maybe instead of screwing with EV fashion statements, we should have a national mission to develop solar cells that are 10x more efficient than they are today…. And superconducting materials that eliminate grid waste.

Putting all the resources into EV’s they are technology jokes doesn’t solve the problem. Generation and transport do make a huge dent.

Sirhr

A lot of what you listed I would consider “ other peoples problems”.

I have no association, have a well and my own septic and we are remote work.

Though I’ll fess up and admit. We don’t own an electric vehicle. No plans on buying one either.

Solar panel output is increasing though I could not tell you the pace.

I’ll also add that this will not end well for the majority of people out there.

A lot of what you listed I would consider “ other peoples problems”.

I have no association, have a well and my own septic and we are remote work.

Though I’ll fess up and admit. We don’t own an electric vehicle. No plans on buying one either.

Solar panel output is increasing though I could not tell you the pace.

I’ll also add that this will not end well for the majority of people out there.
Fair enough... And on your last sentence we are in complete agreement.

And 'other people's problems' rapidly become 'everyone's problems' when suddenly the 'other people' covet what you have in your own little slice of heaven. And by 'everyone's problems' I mean our own very, very personal problems if the unwashed masses decide they want your stuff.

Anyhoo... hopefully won't come to that. I guess the odds are in direct proportion to one's distance from urban centers. Those 10 miles outside 'Watts and Harlem' are going to be in a lot more jeopardy than those 200 miles away. Most shitbags aren't going to live long enough to get 200 miles. The ones that do, however, will probably be tough targets.

Just 'sayin.

Sirhr

I am no fan of Putin or Russia, but....

The WEF plans to enslave the world.
It’s looking like the rest of the planet is going to owe Russia a big thanks for being the ones to essentially push back against the WEF destruction of the population to attempt to bring about some “One World Government”.

Russia refused to go along with their plans - they will govern their own country thank you very much - and their handling of this energy problem will get people to finally wake up and see that this “green” bullshit was to be fueled with unicorns and rainbows, because wind and solar may be “helpers” but cannot and will not ever sustain us or our energy needs.

It will be quite the wake up call for the world if Russia ends up bailing them all out of their WEF-created food shortage also. Russia sees the WEF plan of crippling the global food production - including that of the Ukraine, and is trying to make sure it remains a food source as it’s been traditionally. The only way to accomplish that is to keep it out of the west’s (WEF’s) hands.

Tell me why I am wrong?