• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Food riots thread…and energy.

Here is a company to watch as the "food" industry evolves. I've enjoyed Nabisco Vanilla Wafers since I was a child. Like other foods, I would not have any for a long period of time but then just want some for a snack. During the time I was away from Vanilla Wafers, Mondelez International bought Nabisco. Now, the packaging says "Nilla Wafers". They are totally different than those I had as a child. No where as good. The ingredients have been cheapened. But, this has become the new norm... A child today would never know the products now produced by a giant conglomerate are being made with cheaper ingredients while the prices continue to rise.
Mondelez has completely changed the history , on the Internet, of Nabisco Vanilla Wafers.
images
View attachment 7920644

Crackers and cookies used to be packaged in a box/wax paper bag. Now everything's packaged in plastic. Just like the food that's now inside the bag "plastic".

Last edited:
Reactions: Hobo Hilton
Two different mex places recently. They used half a pepper making chilie rellenos. Both places used to use a whole poblano and I'm not even sure these were poblano peppers. But they were generous with the meat which really makes me wonder about that...
I now ask how many shrimp are in a dish. It the number is less than my last meal at that place I tell them to add more shrinp and I will pay for the additional shrimp........ Unfortunate we have dropped to this level of having to barter for meal ingredients that were there in the past.
Downward spiral 1.jpg

I’m kinda curious as to how many deniers are still refusing to see there is a shift taking place to where food availability isn’t going to be what it once was, at least for the next few years.

I’m kinda curious as to how many deniers are still refusing to see there is a shift taking place to where food availability isn’t going to be what it once was, at least for the next few years.
I will take a wild guess.... 75% of Americans are in denial about all of the negative factors taking place during 2022.
Some are too poor to see a big difference.
Some are in the "sweet spot job"
Many recently have retired, had some play money, and will live the good life until the money runs out.
Some are focused on serious health issues or family issues and just bury their head in the sand.
The rest are in the camp of "the shift" is so frightening, they just deny it.
Lots of excuses to not face reality.

. More than one-third of adults in the United States have obesity.​

In the United States, 36.5 percentTrusted Source of adults have obesity. Another 32.5 percentTrusted Source of American adults are overweight. In all, more than two-thirds of adults in the United States are overweight or have obesity.

America has been prepping!

Here is a company to watch as the "food" industry evolves. I've enjoyed Nabisco Vanilla Wafers since I was a child. Like other foods, I would not have any for a long period of time but then just want some for a snack. During the time I was away from Vanilla Wafers, Mondelez International bought Nabisco. Now, the packaging says "Nilla Wafers". They are totally different than those I had as a child. No where as good. The ingredients have been cheapened. But, this has become the new norm... A child today would never know the products now produced by a giant conglomerate are being made with cheaper ingredients while the prices continue to rise.
Mondelez has completely changed the history , on the Internet, of Nabisco Vanilla Wafers.
images
View attachment 7920644

yup.
Go try some double stuff OREOs...... barf

More expensive fertilizers are contributed to those higher costs, with some fertilizers spiking 300% since September 2020, according to the American Farm Bureau.
“Last year [fertilizer] was around $270 per ton and now it’s over $1,400 per ton,” Meagan Kaiser, of Kaiser Family Farms and farmer-director of the United Soybean Board, told NBC’s “Nightly News with Lester Holt.”

Reactions: devildog93

Meat department this weekend - fairly large Kroger. Meat iffy, but the cold displays are now full of "plant-based meat". I had no idea there were so many brand and meat mimic products. And the prices were higher than what meat was available!

Reactions: SONIC SAAMI
Meat department this weekend - fairly large Kroger. Meat iffy, but the cold displays are now full of "plant-based meat". I had no idea there were so many brand and meat mimic products. And the prices were higher than what meat was available!
More money is being spent on promotions than on research... Easy to fool a dumb audience.

More expensive fertilizers are contributed to those higher costs, with some fertilizers spiking 300% since September 2020, according to the American Farm Bureau.
“Last year [fertilizer] was around $270 per ton and now it’s over $1,400 per ton,” Meagan Kaiser, of Kaiser Family Farms and farmer-director of the United Soybean Board, told NBC’s “Nightly News with Lester Holt.”

Up over 400% when I bought mine.

Which was way less than last year.

I noticed a very small change in one of the snack foods I have, occasionally. Been a few months since I had this and I opened a new can I just purchased. Blue Diamond, Smokehouse.... What I found were much smaller almonds. Yes, I know the product is sold by weight, 6 ounces. But smaller almonds are cheaper to use than larger ones.
We are in a changing world. Pay attention to the small things.

Attachments

• IMG_6980.JPG
    IMG_6980.JPG
    298.4 KB · Views: 35
I noticed a very small change in one of the snack foods I have, occasionally. Been a few months since I had this and I opened a new can I just purchased. Blue Diamond, Smokehouse.... What I found were much smaller almonds. Yes, I know the product is sold by weight, 6 ounces. But smaller almonds are cheaper to use than larger ones.
maybe farmers had to harvest early? CA state gov is notorious, trying to screw the farmers out of their water.

Around 400 farmers, advocates, and their allies defied the secret Golden Rice (GR) tests in Pili, Camarines Sur in Bicol (which was operated by the Philippine Rice Research Institute [PhilRice] and the International Rice Research Institute [IRRI]) on August 8, 2013. On Monday (Aug 8), nine years after the “historic uprooting,” the call remained unchanged: block the distribution of GR in the Philippines and across the world.

Monsanto's biggest celebration is when they modified the corn to only grow once with full yield. Using that seed the following year will result in a LARGE loss in yield.

Last edited:
  • Sad
Had never heard of the “Hunger Stones” before yesterday…

Cool Concept. Our ancestors were some smart cookies!

These are apparently now visible all over Europe and are taken as precursors of famine. Low river levels are exposing these old texts.

Of course that was in an era before global food trade and industrialized farming. Then again…
Who is to say they aren’t predicting man-made famine?

Just an interesting historical tidbit for your morning enjoyment!

Sirhr

Germany and the rest of Europe is in real trouble.

Some thoughts on fertilizer.

1. It makes more forage and grain AND that output is of MUCH higher quality.
2. It lasts in the soil from 6-12 months. One can put down less one year but then there is a huge decrease the next.
3. Farmers can fallow their fields OR do a second crop of legumes to build it back up - but with diesel so high and spare parts scarce, this may not be viable. The end result is less yield.
4. Farmers can go to a crop that requires less fertilizer. But you cant eat hay.
5. Countries that cannot make much N will have net outflows of cash in order to buy it and also net cash outflows to buy more food.
6. Sri Lanka is the eventual outcome from 5.
7. Dont count out mother nature in the form of droughts, early frosts, hard winters, and excessive rain.

At the end of the day it takes energy from natural gas to sustain the yields we get and energy from diesel to work the fields and transport the food. An attack on energy is an attack on food production.

Smaller are cheaper and smaller could also mean a lot less N.

I passed a cotton field yesterday the farmer was bush hogging BFORE it was picked, probably 100+ ac. It appeared he did not fertilize(?), plants were less than 12", had some cotton on them. Whole field looked very poor.
Fields on both sides had been picked. Prior to picking, these were a good 10" taller with visibly more cotton them.

Was the cut field an experiment?

I passed a cotton field yesterday the farmer was bush hogging BFORE it was picked, probably 100+ ac. It appeared he did not fertilize(?), plants were less than 12", had some cotton on them. Whole field looked very poor.
Fields on both sides had been picked. Prior to picking, these were a good 10" taller with visibly more cotton them.

You sure it hadn't been picked? There's still a little cotton on a picked field.

An experiment in "The Fall of an Empire".

These are apparently now visible all over Europe and are taken as precursors of famine. Low river levels are exposing these old texts.

Of course that was in an era before global food trade and industrialized farming. Then again…

Sirhr
I think we have the same sort of thing here….but instead of rocks we have dead bodies (think Lake Mead) lololololol!

Reactions: nikonNUT
You sure it hadn't been picked? There's still a little cotton on a picked field.
Nope. Picked cotton on both sides. He was in process of bush hogging when I drove by. It hadn't even been defoliated. That field was always much smaller than plants on both sides. Was it an experiment? Don't know. Sure seemed like a waste of diesel, seed, and time.
Farmer south of Sealy told me they didn't fertilize their corn or milo. They felt there was enough residual from last year. I don't know if the comparison was good because of the larger variable, lack of rain. He/they (brothers) plant 800+ac in corn, and I am guessing 400+ in milo.
I don't know where his yields ended up.
When I saw him just before 7/4, he said they had killed over 200 hogs (this spring/summer) in one corn field in a river bottom area and they were still destroying large areas.

An interesting "Food Related" situation is building up.

Federal Crop Insurance​

As noted in this thread, growing a crop and getting it to market is getting to be more and more challenging. There are droughts, floods, fertilizer cost, equipment and labor cost, Bill Gates and the Chinese buying up farm land, more and more Government restrictions and young people just not desiring to be a farmer.... The list of challenges is long.
Chairwoman of Agriculture -Senator Deborah Ann Stabenow is an American politician serving as the senior United States senator from Michigan, a seat she has held since 2001. A member of the Democratic party. Her family owned the local Oldsmobile dealership, and her mother was Director of Nursing at the local hospital.
Chairman David Scott - House Agriculture - David Albert Scott (born June 27, 1945) is an American politician and businessman who has served as the U.S. representative for Georgia's 13th congressional district since 2003. Scott's district includes the southern fourth of Atlanta, as well as several of its suburbs to the south and west.
These two individuals did not grow up on a farm. Their families shopped at a grocery store...

FOX interviewed a tomato farmer in CA this morning. He said that 24x(?) farmers in CA grow about 95% of the tomatoes used in the US and about 25% in the world. He said they were ecstatic that they were getting $0.05/pound this year for tomatoes. That is the highest price they have ever been paid for tomatoes. But because the cost of diesel, fertilizer, labor, etc, profits weren't there.
How much do you pay for tomatoes in the store?

WEF great reset in full swing.
print-icon

Another Food Processing Plant Shutters Operations, Adding To Long List Of Closures​

The announcement of the closure pushed up the number of closed US food processing plants over the last year to 100. The list below are plants destroyed, damaged, or impacted by "accidental fires," disease, or other causes (courtesy of The Gateway Pundit):

Last edited:
I've been buying the crap out of instant potatoes. They last longer, and hopefully will get me through this 2 year fk'd up Dem policy. I doubt it though. the steal machine has been perfected and the uniparty is in place.

Mashed just doesn't go with a steak, need that baked with sour cream and butter :)

FedEx warns of delivery chain collapse over costs.

I’m sure this is relevant throughout the entire supply chain.

Europe facing 20% inflation.

Tsunami of utility shutoffs facing the US.

Just a few of the headlines from this morning.

Reactions: lariat
Ukraine reports that about 30% of farmers refuse to sow winter grain due to high costs. The amoubt of unplanted acres in the United States increased more than 3x during the last year, from 2.1 million acres in 2021 to 6.4 million in 2022, due to drought and higher costs.

Sirhr
The japs have high water stones in their hills. When that tsunami hit, they showed the carved on rocks from a prior event hundred of years before

Ukraine reports that about 30% of farmers refuse to sow winter grain due to high costs. The amoubt of unplanted acres in the United States increased more than 3x during the last year, from 2.1 million acres in 2021 to 6.4 million in 2022, due to drought and higher costs.
One more warning sign to plant a garden in the spring.