• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

For you guys using BIG GLASS

• Thread starter Deleted member 137765
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 137765

USING A BIG SPOTTING SCOPE IN THE FIELD? The MONFROTTO 410 JR may be the perfect head for your big glass. After reading waaay too many reviews and asking experts I chose this gear head for my Swaro BTX w/ 95mm spotter. Even with the 1.7 extender and a stiff wind this head held the scope perfectly still and enables you to simply turn knobs to slowly scan and pick apart an area. If you are seeking a head that you can completely lock down that isn’t huge and doesn't weigh 3+lbs…look at this one. It can handle considerably more weight than my glass (for you shutterbug types) and is now only $280. (They’ve come down a lot in price over the years.) There are lots of choices out there, I think this was one of the most anguishing purchases I have made because everyone was pushing me in another couple of directions. For the features, weight and dimensions I think this may be the best and least expensive gear heads suitable for us using big glass. Very happy with the 410 Junior.

MONFROTTO.JPG

MONFROTTO410JR.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been using the big-brother Manfrotto 405 geared head (with full arca-swiss dovetail conversion top and bottom) for years now.

Not something I'd want to hump around, but it's excellent for range trips, etc. Heavy enough with an RRS 44 tripod to not move when it doesn't need to.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Reactions: Wyzrd
IMG_2476.JPG

Spotters on the line at Gunsite Long Range course while working dope on day one - these are all mounted on Manfrotto Jr Geared Heads (except one), and they are all Leupold Mark IV 12-40x60mm scopes with TMR reticles. Sorry for the glare - snapped this during a break on my phone.

Are you happy with your swaro spotting scope? I am looking at that exact model but trying to make sure there isn’t something better

Love it for the intended application however, have not had reason to use the BTX with the 65mm objective yet. For big country the 95mm is amazing and spotting with two eyes is much easier and more comfortable. I learned this firsthand BEFORE buying one. I recommend you do the same.

Thats the head I was given with my vortex spotter. I do like that it is sort of fixed and allows you to scan nice and orderly... I just wish I could turn the right knob the correct direction the first time.

For our paper shooting I like that I can set it up and level it etc and just spin the one bottom knob to pan straight across all the targets in the line.

I dont like it when Im having to scan over a non horizontal linear area for field shooting conditions. Too slow, spotting in matches would result in my being to slow to spot impacts with more than one target to observe. I want something that quickly locks and unlocks to freely move the spotter.
I know people hate the quick lock pistol grip heads because they arent the most secure and wiggle a bit with any weight on them but they really do let me transition between targets really fast yet are solid enough for RO duty. Thats not really what this thread is covering though.