Grills: charcoal vs pellet vs propane

6 racks on the PBC with lump, no briquettes. The smoke station has a probe in the side of the drum to monitor temp but it stays pretty consistent at 225. Might get to 250 at times but not for long. I can get it higher obviously but no need for this cook. 3 racks are this weber seasoning and 3 are old bay.
20200907_104151.jpg
20200907_104155.jpg
20200907_104646.jpg
15994912593664529876562708343911.jpg
15994912786714289131947398745054.jpg

This one....

Go 26 inch if you feel you must but for a family of 4 that often feeds 5 or 6 it works.

This is what I have and I love it. Simple, effective, and pretty versatile, especially when coupled with some aftermarket accessories.

The Slow n Sear is a must buy accessory IMO. Makes the bbq more versatile, you can smoke, cook low and slow, get it piping hot for searing. If you like pizza, you can easily turn your kettle into a pizza oven with a pizza oven accessory.

Propane grills are expensive, impart a bad taste on your food, and aren't as versatile. The reason why I went with the Weber Kettle is for it's versatility at a relatively low cost. I've cooked everything from octopus to smoked beef ribs, and even pizza. Everything turns out great, I love cooking with charcoal.

I want one of these grills the choices are plenty which would you recommend
The Costco near me has a Louisiana Grills pellet grill that we bought a few months ago. It’s awesome and I’ve used it multiple times a week since we got it. It was $850 at our Costco and came with a few accessories.

I went from gas to charcoal, tried a pellet smoker, and now have a Primo xl. I wish I went with the Primo from the beginning.
Nice grills. I have a Kamado Joe but essentially the same thing...ceramic grills make you a believer.

I still have a Weber propane and a Pit Barrel Charcoal vertical cooker. All of my grills have their uses and it is good to have more than one for when you are making a lot of food.

Don't own an Easy Bake oven (aka Traeger or other pellet). They are good if you are a push button type and don't want to be bothered watching the cook and monitoring the fire which is, BTW, 90% of the fun of BBQ....learning to cook properly on a charcoal, ceramic or offset wood is truly a journey and when you get it right, you become the most popular person in your friend group.

Nice grills. I have a Kamado Joe but essentially the same thing...ceramic grills make you a believer.

I still have a Weber propane and a Pit Barrel Charcoal vertical cooker. All of my grills have their uses and it is good to have more than one for when you are making a lot of food.

Don't own an Easy Bake oven (aka Traeger or other pellet). They are good if you are a push button type and don't want to be bothered watching the cook and monitoring the fire which is, BTW, 90% of the fun of BBQ....learning to cook properly on a charcoal, ceramic or offset wood is truly a journey and when you get it right, you become the most popular person in your friend group.
"Lookin' ain't cookin'." Start the fire. Get the heat right. Put the meat on. Keep the damned lid closed. Trust the process. And, a meat probe is your best friend.

The kamanda Joe is stupid easy to use, so long as you control the initial heat up and don't overshoot your cook temp. Once it gets hot, it's hot. If you keep the lid closed, monitoring the fire becomes almost a non-issue, unless you're cooking in a strong wind.

And, it is comical how little wood/charcoal a ceramic smoker uses for a long smoke.

Reactions: Bradu
"Lookin' ain't cookin'." Start the fire. Get the heat right. Put the meat on. Keep the damned lid closed. Trust the process. And, a meat probe is your best friend.

The kamanda Joe is stupid easy to use, so long as you control the initial heat up and don't overshoot your cook temp. Once it gets hot, it's hot. If you keep the lid closed, monitoring the fire becomes almost a non-issue, unless you're cooking in a strong wind.

And, it is comical how little wood/charcoal a ceramic smoker uses for a long smoke.
I don't disagree that it is relatively easy to use but there are definitely adjustments that are necessary as the cook progresses. It is especially true for long cooks (a packer brisket) or high temperature cooks over 2 hours where you are likely to need to add more fuel. I have gone as long as 12 hours at 240 degrees but that may not be enough for brisket depending on its size. Learning to add fuel quickly and not overshooting is also not as straight forward as some would have you believe. Although it holds temperature well when you overshoot the temp, it's not so easy to bring down.

I agree with your "Looking ain't cooking" comment as well. Keeping the lid closed as much as you can helps but if you open it every couple of hours to check and spritz, it is no biggie as their is a LOT of mass to keep the temperature stable even in the dead of winter.

How you light the lump is especially important in not overshooting. How you light the lump also determines the highest temperature you can reach for doing quick sears or pizza.

Last edited:
Reactions: hlee
I went from gas to charcoal, tried a pellet smoker, and now have a Primo xl. I wish I went with the Primo from the beginning.
I went from gas to a Smoke Hollow charcoal grill(from Costco also) and hated it. Too much work, too messy, too much wasted charcoal(I understand the differences here, too). However, if my wife lets me spend some big $$ on a grill in the future I’m absolutely getting a Primo oval xl. I love our new pellet grill but a Primo kamado is a forever grill that will get passed on to my kids

Reactions: Bradu

I bought a fan controller for mine to do the longer cooks. It's basically an easy bake oven if its plugged in, but it makes it easy enough for the wife to use if I have to work or want to go to the range.

I bought a fan controller for mine to do the longer cooks. It's basically an easy bake oven if its plugged in, but it makes it easy enough for the wife to use if I have to work or want to go to the range.
Mother of God man, is nothing sacred.

If Women's figure out how to run BBQ pits we will be doing chores all damn weekend.

What were you thinking?

Have a Masterbuilt 1050. Love it for what it can do, but its very cheaply built. Most of the bare metal is rusting really badly and the firebrick lining is almost eaten all the way through on the firebox.

Next grill/smoker is going to be a Green Egg, Kamado Joe or Webber Summit, with a fan controller. I can't bring myself to get a pellet smoker.

Eaten more charred flesh than all of you. That is why I will die sooner.

A pellet smoker will maintain a perfect temp for 40 hrs and is perfect for smoking ribs at 225. It won't sear a porterhouse, for that you need ~550 degrees, so you need a grill of sorts. A nice rotisserie/spit over a campfire is perfect for a large rib roast.

Which one did you buy? I haven't seen universally good reviews on many of them.
I used to compete in KCBS, so I’ll give you my thoughts on the ones I use or used.

1. The flame boss 500 is a kick ass controller, although they have a tendency to have connection issues to the cloud on really big holidays. Their customer support is top notch. If purchasing, get their bigger 20cfm fan. It’s variable controlled so it only powers up as much as needed vs. when it kicks on, it’s at 100% or nothing. really helps control over shoots and regulating the pit temps

2. Cyber Q. Really nice controller and their bigger fan, the pit bull, I believe is 25 cfm’s, but it runs 100% or nothing. It connects to the internet or phone and is really convenient, but there have been issues with the fan not shutting off from the controller and cranking your smoker out of control. Had a really good friend burn up a $3000 cooker due to it.

3. ThermoWorks Signals with the billows fan. I just got it, so don’t know exactly how well it will work. I plan on using it on my Myron Mixon 72” gravity feed smoker. the fan is rated at 50 cfm’s, so it should be able to get the smoker up to temp quickly. ThermoWorks has an outstanding reputation for cooking thermometers and other technical stuff and I have used their other items like their thermometer and heat gun, so I am confident in their company.

All 3 are controllable using your phone on an app and being able to go and do things or run to the store and not have to worry about what’s going on with the cooker. If you have any questions, feel free to reach out. There’s so much more I can let you know about in regards to these controllers.

Reactions: Nik H and Snuby642
Pellet smokers are nice for ease of use and getting up to temp. They do lack imparting a good smoke flavor on the meat, it’s lighter and more subtle. You due have the benefit of getting a “clean” smoke from them as well just as long as you keep it cleaned.

cabinet/ insulated smoker. With todays controllers, it’s pretty much set it and forget it and imparts a heavier/ better smoke flavor to whatever you’re cooking. They take longer to come up to temp and if you over shoot your temp, it will take longer to come back down to temp, but they’re stupid easy to actually run and produce a great product.

stick burner…. Potentially Great flavor but a lot of tending to the fire and making sure you keep a clean fire. Once again, if you over shoot the temp, it will take a while to come back down. Lot more babysitting with a stick burner.

probably one of my favorites, Gateway Drums or you can make your own ugly drum smoker, but this cooker helped our team to 6 grand championships and 2 reserve grand championships in two years. Super easy to get the cooker to temp and maintain temperature and also make any corrections if you over shoot the temp. Quick response to inputs, but you have to stay near it to monitor the temps more. You can use controllers on them, but we never did. With the Gateway drum cooker, you’re coooking Hott and Fast…. You’re not devoting all day to a cook. I can have an 18# packer brisket done in 4-5 hrs and it’ll be like butter.

if you’re looking to just grill, I prefer charcoal and a Weber kettle. If you get the chance, check out Grill Grates if you want to amplify the ability of the kettle. They raise the temp of the cooking surface to really sear steak, burgers, or whatever you want to cook, plus if you care about grill marks…. You can’t beat them

I used to compete in KCBS, so I’ll give you my thoughts on the ones I use or used.

1. The flame boss 500 is a kick ass controller, although they have a tendency to have connection issues to the cloud on really big holidays. Their customer support is top notch. If purchasing, get their bigger 20cfm fan. It’s variable controlled so it only powers up as much as needed vs. when it kicks on, it’s at 100% or nothing. really helps control over shoots and regulating the pit temps

2. Cyber Q. Really nice controller and their bigger fan, the pit bull, I believe is 25 cfm’s, but it runs 100% or nothing. It connects to the internet or phone and is really convenient, but there have been issues with the fan not shutting off from the controller and cranking your smoker out of control. Had a really good friend burn up a $3000 cooker due to it.

3. ThermoWorks Signals with the billows fan. I just got it, so don’t know exactly how well it will work. I plan on using it on my Myron Mixon 72” gravity feed smoker. the fan is rated at 50 cfm’s, so it should be able to get the smoker up to temp quickly. ThermoWorks has an outstanding reputation for cooking thermometers and other technical stuff and I have used their other items like their thermometer and heat gun, so I am confident in their company.

All 3 are controllable using your phone on an app and being able to go and do things or run to the store and not have to worry about what’s going on with the cooker. If you have any questions, feel free to reach out. There’s so much more I can let you know about in regards to these controllers.
Appreciate all of the information!!

Reactions: notacos4u
1655247593165.jpeg

Yeah I have a smoker issue… but if my wife asks, they only cost $3 a piece

Attachments

• 1655247273499.jpeg
    1655247273499.jpeg
    111.8 KB · Views: 47
  • AE086595-6790-4D92-A513-4909B8D6BFCE.jpeg
    AE086595-6790-4D92-A513-4909B8D6BFCE.jpeg
    692.1 KB · Views: 42
  • 8602EB10-2FBB-4CBE-AD60-DBA16B3CE6CA.jpeg
    8602EB10-2FBB-4CBE-AD60-DBA16B3CE6CA.jpeg
    560.7 KB · Views: 54
  • 7CC04BB8-E151-44EA-B74C-9B05B0562060.jpeg
    7CC04BB8-E151-44EA-B74C-9B05B0562060.jpeg
    516.8 KB · Views: 53
  • 8AFD5098-7571-431B-B9F5-BB3F3C327F41.jpeg
    8AFD5098-7571-431B-B9F5-BB3F3C327F41.jpeg
    467.1 KB · Views: 51
  • 54A41444-D878-4309-8B39-A0E5115C5C5A.jpeg
    54A41444-D878-4309-8B39-A0E5115C5C5A.jpeg
    311.4 KB · Views: 53
  • 48EBB43E-039D-48F1-8D6D-431375290647.jpeg
    48EBB43E-039D-48F1-8D6D-431375290647.jpeg
    264.8 KB · Views: 50
  • 3E81418C-AC90-4455-80FF-A5332070ADF3.jpeg
    3E81418C-AC90-4455-80FF-A5332070ADF3.jpeg
    721.8 KB · Views: 50
  • 042D3690-D5D3-4F04-ADF3-3E6DCEF416BE.jpeg
    042D3690-D5D3-4F04-ADF3-3E6DCEF416BE.jpeg
    467 KB · Views: 61
  • B6533BEA-E098-438D-85A0-C927648E92CB.jpeg
    B6533BEA-E098-438D-85A0-C927648E92CB.jpeg
    611.3 KB · Views: 69
  • 0C086E72-F9C3-4295-8751-99775A61AE72.jpeg
    0C086E72-F9C3-4295-8751-99775A61AE72.jpeg
    83.9 KB · Views: 60
  • 308D171C-0609-4F65-A011-B216230D2A61.jpeg
    308D171C-0609-4F65-A011-B216230D2A61.jpeg
    324.9 KB · Views: 63
  • 9279C272-ED2C-4979-90DB-517C13BEA599.jpeg
    9279C272-ED2C-4979-90DB-517C13BEA599.jpeg
    438.5 KB · Views: 63
I went from gas to a Smoke Hollow charcoal grill(from Costco also) and hated it. Too much work, too messy, too much wasted charcoal(I understand the differences here, too). However, if my wife lets me spend some big $$ on a grill in the future I’m absolutely getting a Primo oval xl. I love our new pellet grill but a Primo kamado is a forever grill that will get passed on to my kids

I love the primo xl because you can have one half indirect and the other side direct heat. It's perfect for smoking meat but still being able to sear at the end of a cook. It's by far the best grill/smoker I've used. The pellet grill fought me all along with soot issues if I used higher heat. It worked good at low temps for the most part so we just used it for smoking. Then I ruined $160 prime rib, it turned black and tasted like shit so I quit using it.

Which one did you buy? I haven't seen universally good reviews on many of them.

Im using the ultra q from bbq gurus. My dad had the non wifi model so I bought him the ultra q. Mines worked perfect but his acted up the other day, not sure what caused it but the grill over shot temps and the fan kept running because it showed low temps. I'm thinking his probe took a shit on him.
Mother of God man, is nothing sacred.

If Women's figure out how to run BBQ pits we will be doing chores all damn weekend.

What were you thinking?

She's cooked on a charcoal grill for over 12 years. I taught her how so I could have good food when I got off work. Why not have them cook and do chores?

Reactions: Nik H and The D
I love the primo xl because you can have one half indirect and the other side direct heat. It's perfect for smoking meat but still being able to sear at the end of a cook. It's by far the best grill/smoker I've used. The pellet grill fought me all along with soot issues if I used higher heat. It worked good at low temps for the most part so we just used it for smoking. Then I ruined $160 prime rib, it turned black and tasted like shit so I quit using it.

She's cooked on a charcoal grill for over 12 years. I taught her how so I could have good food when I got off work. Why not have them cook and do chores?
Smart man…

How much use did your pellet grill have when you ruined the prime rib? I would probably cry if I ruined a beautiful piece of meat like that

Im using the ultra q from bbq gurus. My dad had the non wifi model so I bought him the ultra q. Mines worked perfect but his acted up the other day, not sure what caused it but the grill over shot temps and the fan kept running because it showed low temps. I'm thinking his probe took a shit on him.
That’s what I was saying about the cyber Q, the ultra Q is their upgraded version, something went wrong and the fan just kept on blowing 25cfm’s full bore… Can be a VERY expensive miscue if you don’t catch it in time.

In BBQ Guru’s defense, if you set it up correctly, you can have alarm alerts sent to you if the temp raises above your preset temp….

All the ones I mentioned have that capability

Reactions: Nik H
Smart man…

How much use did your pellet grill have when you ruined the prime rib? I would probably cry if I ruined a beautiful piece of meat like that

I've had it probably 4 or 5 years. I got frustrated with it one other time for the same issues and bought a new controller for it because that's what they said the issue was. Resealed the fire box as well and it did good for a while. The prime rib was the final straw, it's probably going to the scrap bin at work.

I've had it probably 4 or 5 years. I got frustrated with it one other time for the same issues and bought a new controller for it because that's what they said the issue was. Resealed the fire box as well and it did good for a while. The prime rib was the final straw, it's probably going to the scrap bin at work.
What grill is it?

I feel like I should wash my own mouth out with soap for saying this but maybe if I ruin a prime rib my wife will give me the green light for a primo. Ugh, someone slap me…

• Haha
Reactions: Bradu and Nik H
What grill is it?

I feel like I should wash my own mouth out with soap for saying this but maybe if I ruin a prime rib my wife will give me the green light for a primo. Ugh, someone slap me…

Green mountain daniel boone. My dad found my primo for $600 on Facebook and there have been several listed at similar prices. I looked at them for a while but couldn't bring myself to pay $2200 since I wasn't sure if I would like it or not.

Reactions: The D
Green mountain daniel boone. My dad found my primo for $600 on Facebook and there have been several listed at similar prices. I looked at them for a while but couldn't bring myself to pay $2200 since I wasn't sure if I would like it or not.
$600?! Fuck, that’s a steal. Great score

My wife has a propane rig and brinkman water smoker she runs.

But doesn't touch the stick burner.

Your doing it all wrong if she figured it out.

Day before spend some time laying in the kindling and small chunks, should take at least 1 drink to accomplish. If she comes out tell her you need another drink and start rearranging that.

Start in next with the full size logs and make sure you have at least oak and a couple seasoning woods, mesquite, hickory, pecan etc.

Carry some of that back and forth restack inside and next to pit. Try to look tired and pathetic when done and ask for another drink.

Next day lite it up and start trimming the brisket, take your time make sure to get that grey streak off the side, carve out some of that hunk between the cap and flat, not all.

Have the wife help you season the meat and let rest to room temp.

Get a drink, now comes some of the finer points of being a home pit master. Now remember that drink you took? don't swallow that.

Spit half a mouthful out and proclaim "oh hell" in a convincing manner, run out the door and start adjusting the pit. Make a good show of it.

Rinse swish repeat slightly less dramatically till time to put brisket on.

If the smoker's running right make adjustments and fix them right back once in a while.

If not running perfect you can up your game with some arm waving, swearing give it a kick and complain that you have to baby sit the thing all day. Hope these instructions ar clear.

Have another drink.

I am available for consultation if necessary.

Last edited:

Day before spend some time laying in the kindling and small chunks, should take at least 1 drink to accomplish. If she comes out tell her you need another drink and start rearranging that.

Start in next with the full size logs and make sure you have at least oak and a couple seasoning woods, mesquite, hickory, pecan etc.

Cary some of that back and forth restack inside and next to pit. Try to look tired and pathetic when done and ask for another drink.

Next day lite it up and start trimming the brisket, take your time make sure to get that grey streak off the side, carve out some of that hunk between the cap and flat, not all.

Get a drink, now comes some of the finer points of being a home pit master. Now remember that drink you took? don't swallow that.

Spit half a mouthful out and proclaim "oh hell" in a convincing manner, run out the door and start adjusting the pit. Make a good show of it.

If the smoker's running right make adjustments and fix them right back once in a while.

If not running perfect you can up your game with some arm waving, swearing give it a kick and complain that you have to baby sit the thing all day. Hope these instructions ar clear.

Have another drink.

So is the Wife!

Carry some of that back and forth restack inside and next to pit. Try to look tired and pathetic when done and ask for another drink.

Have another drink.

Rate card please............:ROFLMAO:

Reactions: Snuby642
So picture looks wierd.

The water pan is on the cool side and butts on the hot.

The thick side of the brisket is away from the heat.

This is sort of a non-traditional arrangement. Is there a purpose to it?
Your probes, grates and even the pan look brand new but brisket looks done? And the pork butts look 1 hr into it.

Last edited:
So picture looks wierd.

The water pan is on the cool side and butts on the hot.

The thick side of the brisket is away from the heat.

This is sort of a non-traditional arrangement. Is there a purpose to it?
Your probes, grates and even the pan look brand new but brisket looks done? And the pork butts look 1 hr into it.

I only know how the heat distribution is on my Yoder. Unsure of other pellet smokers. My Yoder has the fan on the left side of the unit by the fire box. Which blows the heat Left - to - right. So the hot side of my smoker is closest to the stack on the right. That’s why the point of the brisket is on the right.

And the pans are just to catch drippings. No water in it. In my expierence in my Yoder running a water pan fucks with the controller. And the temperature maintenance wasn’t as consistent. With no water pan it’s basically an oven. Set it at 225* and it will maintain that +/- 5* indefinitely.

I was cooking for 60 people for July 4th last year. The brisket, those pork butts, and 9 racks of ribs. Based on the cool times of each, and when they wanted to eat, I had to start the brisket earlier than the pork shoulders. And the ribs went on last. That brisket took almost 22hrs. It went on 12hrs prior to the pork butts

Reactions: BLEE
Well heat is opposite to my stick burners, would not have guessed.

Next time you get a load of that horrible looking stuff let me know.

I am prepared to help a brother out and haul it off and dispose of in a prompt respectable manner.

Well heat is opposite to my stick burners, would not have guessed.

Next time you get a load of that horrible looking stuff let me know.

I am prepared to help a brother out and haul it off and dispose of in a prompt respectable manner.

Yeah it is. My buddys huge stick burners are also hotter towards the burn box and cooler at the stack. It’s the fan system in my unit that reverses it

Reactions: Snuby642
With a stick burner if you get it backwards and too close you can catch a brisket on fire.

You have to be more specific when you give drunken assistants directions I found out.

I caught one on fire in a gas grill once just trying to brown it before baking.

I learned to slow down, if the cooking box can't be touched it's too hot.

Pellet grill= outdoor easy bake oven while having your hair in man bun!

Go charcoal it’s going to be hard to get a quality smoker or grill for that budget. Maybe start with a Weber kettle.

It’s super easy on pellet grill I felt that there wasn’t as much smoke flavor that I like when using it. You just plug it in set the temp and put your meat on. If that’s what you’re looking for in grill/smoker than the pellet grill is your ticket.

I personally use a Kamado it’s perfect for long cooks and does great with high temp cooks. It’s the one grill that can do everything and your cooking on lump charcoal. Knock the ash off and relight the leftover charcoal from your last cook.

Pellet vs charcoal vs stick blah blah blah I’ve had them all. Cooked on them all. 90% of the people I’ve cooked for say food off the stick burner is too Smokey. My charcoal Egg puts a medium smoke on. And my Yoder Pellet puts a mild smoke.

People love the pellet smoked food. But I cook for a wide age group and diverse population. And now with 3 kids running around like mad and a busy ass life the ability to turn on my “easy bake smoker” before bed and wake up to a cooked brisket is the fucking cats ass.

Reactions: The D and Dawhit
Something I always wondered about. Why can you not get more smoke out of a pellet smoker?

There are those stainless wire canisters that you can light one end in and burn pellets in to augment smoke or add another flavor without mixing in the hopper.

For me there is a taste difference stick verses pellet, but if it turns out to be quantities of the smoke that's an easy fix.

Something I always wondered about. Why can you not get more smoke out of a pellet smoker?

There are those stainless wire canisters that you can light one end in and burn pellets in to augment smoke or add another flavor without mixing in the hopper.

For me there is a taste difference stick verses pellet, but if it turns out to be quantities of the smoke that's an easy fix.

I e ran the smoke tubes in mine. I actually cold smoke cheese in there with it. Just turn my fan on to circulate the air. But I find it fucks with the controller if I try running one with the auger on.