• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Hornadys new ELD VT

The 80gr is a 6mm bullet. For the 100gr 6.5mm ELDVT you should be fine with 95-100gr data that's been published for a while now.
working up a load with H4350 and I don't see any data for the 95-100gr data besides Barnes with their bullet. the max charge is around 47gr, I don't plan on going that high with my gas gun load. after measuring the bullet and comparing it, its a little longer than a 120 eldm but shorter than a 130 eldm, almost the same length as the sierra 123gr SMK. I have a idea of what charge weights I want to try (44.0, 44.6, 45.2, 45.6) as they worked well with that 123gr smk. I have 8lbs of H4350 so I wanted to try it and varget, I saw published 6.5 100gr load data with varget already so thats good to go, just wondering where Max is with H4350.

Posted in the 6.5cm thread, but will post here too.

Also, there’s an alarming lack of info on the 100gr VT bullets from hornady on here so I shall bless you all with my mediocre testing results. Book max for Varget is 41.1gr with a 100gr eldm so using that info I started at 42gr of Varget because I like to live life dangerously.

Rifle and load spec:

Defiance Deviant
22” 8TW Bartlein M24 barrel
Manners T4A with EFR
NF NX8 2.5-20 Mil XT
TBAC Magnus SR

Alpha SRP 6.5cm OCD brass (also used in my match rifle)
42.0gr Varget
CCI 450

Results:

Did a seating depth test with these bullets as I had less than ideal results with the 80gr VT bullets in my 6cm. Did 10 thou off to 110 thou off lands (sammi freebore). I had pulled down 25 rounds so my ES is shit as I didn’t bother to size the necks again and had some freshly sized brass mixed into the pile.

33 rounds over my Garmin. Min 3180. Max 3250. Avg 3203. ES 71. SD 19.3. Group sizes varied pretty good. Best group sizes were 60 thou, 80 thou, and 110 thou off land. 90 was ok to hunt with but nothing to write home about either. Will post pics here in a little bit. Will update when my brass prep is normal and I will probably run at 60k off. Not going to adjust charge weight unless it’s still giving bad numbers when neck tension is consistent.

Obviously, work up to above book max. Or dont. It’s your face on the line.

IMG_5017.jpeg
IMG_5018.jpeg
IMG_5019.jpeg

Reactions: Jdowns0415
working up a load with H4350 and I don't see any data for the 95-100gr data besides Barnes with their bullet. the max charge is around 47gr, I don't plan on going that high with my gas gun load. after measuring the bullet and comparing it, its a little longer than a 120 eldm but shorter than a 130 eldm, almost the same length as the sierra 123gr SMK. I have a idea of what charge weights I want to try (44.0, 44.6, 45.2, 45.6) as they worked well with that 123gr smk. I have 8lbs of H4350 so I wanted to try it and varget, I saw published 6.5 100gr load data with varget already so thats good to go, just wondering where Max is with H4350.

Hodgdons reloading data center has 95gr data with those powders.

Reactions: Jdowns0415
@Ledzep can you explain why these things are so finicky?

We'll probably have to get more specific. Cartridge, caliber, twist rate, barrel mfg., factory/reload, etc.? And what's "finicky" mean?

They have to pass the same accuracy spec as our ELD-M's but the response to an individual barrel with unknown powder in unknown cartridge has a lot of room for variables.

ETA: Scrolled up and looks like you're trying the 6.5mm 100gr in a 8T Bartlein Creedmoor with Varget... I'd back off a grain or two and see if it settles in for you first. Our Factory test load is Varget in mostly Bartlein barrels. Other than that you might try Sta-Ball Match or another relevant powder. Also, not to beat a dead horse (again) but you'll be better off with some 10+ shot strings vs. 3 shot groups. 3-5 shot groups have a brutal capability to produce knotholes then open up then meh then knothole then open up etc... until your hair turns grey and falls out...