• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Imported carbon fiber tripod (RT90C)

i have been looking at the rt 90c in this thread for a while, ive never owned a tri pod before and dont know crap about them. my question is if i buy it what would i have to buy to put a swiss arca rail or a hog saddle on it

Attachments

• 27IvKiDPTde6stxrETzZJA.jpg
    27IvKiDPTde6stxrETzZJA.jpg
    476.8 KB · Views: 167
so the basic leveling kit that comes with the tri pod will work with a hog saddle. im thinking about the hog saddle so i can use it with any gun

Sort of. It’s not designed to be smooth moving, just locked in place. I’d highly recommend starting at least with a ball head. If you do a video review they will send you one.

The better ball head I ordered from AliExpress. Is was $54 and is marked innorel u44

Crazyeddie46, do you have it mounted directly on the base plate at the apex or is it attached to the leveling base running on the video bowl?

Any chance you can throw a picture up?

Yeah I have it mounted directly to the base. I will try and get a picture up tomorrow. I wanted to be able to lower the tripod as low as it would go. You can attach it to the leveling base and bowel if you want . But having it direct it’s cleaner under the tripod. with the anvil I have way more range of motion then I think I’ll ever use. All the being said I am very happy with the set up. Tripod and anvil together I have about $650 in the set up.

Last edited:
Got mine in and set up, and am very happy with it. I went two directions for the mounting options and I think it works great and lets you mount any rifle in any situation.

1) purchased an Anvil-30 from MH and direct threaded it on. Locks up tight, very solid with my AX.
2) Utilized the bowl that came with the tripod and picked up a used Pig Saddle which directly mounts on the 3/8" on the video bowl. The bowl itself isn't perfect as noted above, but I find that it works just fine with the pig saddle as it innately has a little more play than an arca/pic mount.

Total all-in cost: $732 (excluding tax)

A few pics below, will be headed to the range tomorrow.

Attachments

• IMG-3676.JPG
    IMG-3676.JPG
    826.5 KB · Views: 390
  • IMG-3677.JPG
    IMG-3677.JPG
    821.4 KB · Views: 373
  • IMG-3678.JPG
    IMG-3678.JPG
    774.2 KB · Views: 373
  • IMG-3680.JPG
    IMG-3680.JPG
    775.6 KB · Views: 378
  • IMG-3682.JPG
    IMG-3682.JPG
    311.7 KB · Views: 416
Got mine in and set up, and am very happy with it. I went two directions for the mounting options and I think it works great and lets you mount any rifle in any situation.

1) purchased an Anvil-30 from MH and direct threaded it on. Locks up tight, very solid with my AX.
2) Utilized the bowl that came with the tripod and picked up a used Pig Saddle which directly mounts on the 3/8" on the video bowl. The bowl itself isn't perfect as noted above, but I find that it works just fine with the pig saddle as it innately has a little more play than an arca/pic mount.

Thanks for the pictures. That's a great help.

Reactions: gravfed
Made it out to the range today. This was my first time shooting off a tripod, so I didn’t know what to expect. Overall, I’m impressed with this setup. I was able to get hits out to 585, which was as far as I attempted. I think the biggest issue will be to see how these hold up over time. I’m sure RRS legs cost what they cost for a reason, so I still look at this as a bit of a gamble, but early impressions are very positive, especially for the price. Obligatory range pic below.

Attachments

• 25306E43-8700-4979-B621-9FFD928525D7.jpeg
    25306E43-8700-4979-B621-9FFD928525D7.jpeg
    736.1 KB · Views: 212
Reactions: cdeiglmeier
W
Made it out to the range today. This was my first time shooting off a tripod, so I didn’t know what to expect. Overall, I’m impressed with this setup. I was able to get hits out to 585, which was as far as I attempted. I think the biggest issue will be to see how these hold up over time. I’m sure RRS legs cost what they cost for a reason, so I still look at this as a bit of a gamble, but early impressions are very positive, especially for the price. Obligatory range pic below.
was is stable enough shooting standing

Yes, I shot out to 585 standing.
Any way you can sort of elaborate on your "reticle movement" at that range? For instance, when I shot the SH Cup, my first day I used my own setup that consisted of the Hog Saddle Tripod (Slik) and the hog saddle itself...From a straight standing position, I still had to time my shot so to speak to make hits. I shamelessly borrowed my squadmates RRS setup the next day with the ANVIL head and it was a dead lock on the target, rock solid on ranges out to 5-600 I would say. The difference was remarkable.

Any way you can sort of elaborate on your "reticle movement" at that range? For instance, when I shot the SH Cup, my first day I used my own setup that consisted of the Hog Saddle Tripod (Slik) and the hog saddle itself...From a straight standing position, I still had to time my shot so to speak to make hits. I shamelessly borrowed my squadmates RRS setup the next day with the ANVIL head and it was a dead lock on the target, rock solid on ranges out to 5-600 I would say. The difference was remarkable.

Hard for me a qualify without shooting a RRS set of legs, but I didn't feel like I was timing anything. Was there reticle movement when I moved? Yes. When I got in a good position was reticle movement very manageable? Yes. I felt most of the movement was from me--this was my first time shooting off a tripod. In no way did I feel like the legs were the weak link here--it was my lack of experience and trying to figure out positioning. That said, I was pleased that I was able to get hits as I did.

Reactions: shields shtr
khuber84, the smaller RT80C has a 65mm bowl, NOT a 75mm bowl!

The RT90C uses the larger 75mm bowl and can be adapted/requested to be delivered with a 100mm bowl attachment instead.

The PVA comp 40, to my understanding, is very similar to the Innorel RT90C but is not exactly the same tripod.

Reactions: khuber84
I'm thinking the RT80C is going to work for my needs, I've never used/owned a tripod. It looks like it comes with a cheap leveling base (?) Would that be ok for coyotes and mid range steel? I'd obviously upgrade when I can but wouldn't that work with only a arca/RRS clamp (KRG one is the what I'm looking at)?

If that's a no go, are there any budget leveling bases or ball heads?

Jackomason, you would need to add the bowl adapter at a minimum to use with an arca/RRS clamp but may be severely limited in movement range by the 65mm diameter bowl due to possible interference from the clamp controls hittimg the sides when mounting the clamp.

Perhaps, a better budget option would be to purchase the tripod with one of their included budget ball heads (B44 ball head). if I remember correctly, it adds about $30 to overall cost of RT80C package. The 65mm leveling base adds about $15.

Reactions: Jackomason
Jackomason, you would need to add the bowl adapter at a minimum to use with an arca/RRS clamp but may be severely limited in movement range by the 65mm diameter bowl due to possible interference from the clamp controls hittimg the sides when mounting the clamp.

Perhaps, a better budget option would be to purchase the tripod with one of their included budget ball heads (B44 ball head). if I remember correctly, it adds about $30 to overall cost of RT80C package. The 65mm leveling base adds about $15.

Alright, I've taken a few days to search the web.

The rt80c doesnt seem to come in a package with the u44 ball head, however the rt85c does.

The u44 can be found for around $70+ and the rt85c package is about $249 after discounts on Amazon. So between the two tripods (80/85) there's not much of a price difference.

Both have 32mm legs but the rt85c has a 25kg weight rating and the rt80c has a 20kg. Will this make a big difference in stability?

The rt85c also has a center column, will it still achieve the same heights without needing to extend the column? Will the column be more hastly than it is useful?

Are the hinges and buttons beefed up at all on the rt85c?

And lastly, how does the u44 ball head do with arca plates like the delta s?

I am still new to tripods, help me understand: What's the compelling reason to go with the RT80/85 over the 90c model at all? Doesn't the 90c have a higher load rating / better stability, larger bowl (for more head options) and cost about the same?

I am still new to tripods, help me understand: What's the compelling reason to go with the RT80/85 over the 90c model at all? Doesn't the 90c have a higher load rating / better stability, larger bowl (for more head options) and cost about the same?

The rt80c can be found on Amazon for about $179 so there is quite the difference. But really for me it's about the weight savings and being able to see over natural obstacles. I'm sure I'll use it in a match but that's not what itll mainly be used for.

Reactions: CavReconScout
I'm thinking the RT80C is going to work for my needs, I've never used/owned a tripod. It looks like it comes with a cheap leveling base (?) Would that be ok for coyotes and mid range steel? I'd obviously upgrade when I can but wouldn't that work with only a arca/RRS clamp (KRG one is the what I'm looking at)?

If that's a no go, are there any budget leveling bases or ball heads?

It's a great tripod but the leveling base that comes with it is pretty bad. It would be usable in a pinch I guess but I would look for a good ball head mount.

Had some 'experienced' shooters fawning over my 90 at the last match. When I told them how much, they grinned ear to ear. Handed the D low 50 ball head to one and he liked it, especially for the price.

So has anyone tried the RRS TA-4 with the RT90C? Curious of the result.

I'm still waiting for it to be back in stock, B&H Photo quoted me January!

RRS must not sell many, and have very limited production, I have yet to find one in stock anywhere.

If the TA-4 doesn't work, I'll prolly just use the Anvil 34.

Reactions: Mando
Saw the new Innorel L54 ballhead. It's only ~$100, so worth a try.

Quite beefier than the U44 that came with the tripod. And it has a lower "center of gravity" design. With the tension knob behind the ball rather than under it. So despite the larger ball, the overall height remains the same.

Holds my Tikka/AICS just fine.
20190923_235146.jpg

20190923_235108.jpg

Saw the new Innorel L54 ballhead. It's only ~$100, so worth a try.

Quite beefier than the U44 that came with the tripod. And it has a lower "center of gravity" design. With the tension knob behind the ball rather than under it. So despite the larger ball, the overall height remains the same.

Holds my Tikka/AICS just fine.
View attachment 7152355
View attachment 7152356
Where did you find this ball head?

Can you unlock tension on the ball slightly so as to still have some resistance but not have the ball flop around freely? How smooth is it? I've got an rrs ta u lc I really like, but the tension ring is a little akward to get to sometimes

@Ericsl2 Went to the range today to try it out.
To answer your question: Yes I can. I could set the tension so I was able to pan/tilt/aim, but the rifle still stayed in place when I let it go.
I thought it was pretty smooth. Never tried a RRS head though, so I can't compare.

Bought it from Aliexpress. Delivery with DHL was about a week.

@Ericsl2 Went to the range today to try it out.
To answer your question: Yes I can. I could set the tension so I was able to pan/tilt/aim, but the rifle still stayed in place when I let it go.
I thought it was pretty smooth. Never tried a RRS head though, so I can't compare.

Bought it from Aliexpress. Delivery with DHL was about a week.

Thanks for the heads up on these, I went ahead and picked one of these up too. I'm impatiently awaiting its arrival.

I'm looking at this very same setup, so I'll be interested in your first range trip with it. Now if I could just find a TA-3 in stock.
I was able to pickup a used TA-3 from B&H Photo for one heck of a price. Using it with the included tripod bowl it is slightly less smooth when transitioning but adjusts to whatever level of tension you desire up to full lockup. Due to work I may not get out till this weekend, but I plan on shooting 450-550 yds standing and kneeling Using 1moa, 1.5moa, and 2 moa targets. Maybe a 25% IPSC target too using my 6mm Creedmoor.

Reactions: Lunchbox27
Holy crap. Reading this thread my mind is done. RRS needs to come up with easier product names. So confusing.

I ordered an rt90 after I used one at the NRL gunwerks Match. It worked very well. I didn’t have a ball head or anything on the tripod other than the bowl it came with and an arca clamp mounted. Outside of the extreme angles it had plenty of movement. As others have stated the tension is either right on or loose. I will be looking to order some sort of RRS base over the winter.

Thanks for all the info in this thread.

I had the glue fail in my RT80c where the leg connects to the metal. Has anyone else had this issue? What type of glue works on Carbon fiber legs like this?

I had the glue fail in my RT80c where the leg connects to the metal. Has anyone else had this issue? What type of glue works on Carbon fiber legs like this?

do you have a picture of where the glue failed? I’ve hung my entire weight on my rt90 and I’ve been thinking about getting a smaller one to match it.

Look at the picture to see the issue. Happened when I was maneuvering the tripod while sitting in a chair. There was some weird wide pressure and I heard a pop.

The CF is still intact and the leg fits snugly.. could almost pop them all out and make this thing really portable, lol.

Attachments

• IMG_20191009_210441723.jpg
    IMG_20191009_210441723.jpg
    384.4 KB · Views: 410
Just be really careful around the edges of the Carbon fiber.

The slivers can be microscopic and you do NOT want to get a splinter.

Edit to add: Just got a message from my Credit Card company that the dispute between Patriot Valley Arms has ended in my favor. I didn't have to pay their stupid $50 dollar "cancellation" fee for a tripod that had been on order since April and they never delivered on.

Bye bye PVA, you lost a customer for life.

Just be really careful around the edges of the Carbon fiber.

The slivers can be microscopic and you do NOT want to get a splinter.

Edit to add: Just got a message from my Credit Card company that the dispute between Patriot Valley Arms has ended in my favor. I didn't have to pay their stupid $50 dollar "cancellation" fee for a tripod that had been on order since April and they never delivered on.

Bye bye PVA, you lost a customer for life.

They never deliver anywhere near on time. Take everyone’s money and sit on it. So your not the only customer they have lost.

Reactions: TacT-MecH
As a result of some research and this thread, I picked up the RT-90C and a Desmond DLOW-55 ball head. Both from Amazon, and I have to say I'm impressed. I've had it out a couple of times so far and I'm still learning how I like it set up in various sitting, kneeling, and standing positions, but it's worked great. First round impact set up in a kneeling position at 835 yds on a standard IPSC target. I also tried doing the free-recoil "demonstration" Frank does at his classes...just to see if I could do it, and I did. As others have said, it's an outstanding value for under $500. The Hide coming through again with solid info to make a buying decision.

Tripod 3.jpg
tripod-2-jpg.7164375
View attachment 7164374

Attachments

• Tripod 2.jpg
    Tripod 2.jpg
    513.6 KB · Views: 1,828