• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Imported carbon fiber tripod (RT90C)

My anvil came in today. I gotta say it’s damn nice. Being that I’m short, two legs extended is perfect height for a standing shot.
7A5AB342-F946-4BF6-A691-FC088262D156.jpeg

Worth it to wait until BF for a deal on anything? Looking to get a 90c off amazon, pig saddle/ arca adapter, and TA 3 or TA U.

Does anyone know how quick RRS backorders are usually fulfilled?

Worth it to wait until BF for a deal on anything? Looking to get a 90c off amazon, pig saddle/ arca adapter, and TA 3 or TA U.

Does anyone know how quick RRS backorders are usually fulfilled?

Usually 3 weeks is what I seen. They fill the back orders from their site before they fill orders from vendors.

Looks like thermal optics plus has a Ta-U in stock. I ordered an anvil 30 from them. Good to go.

Went ahead with the TA 3 direct from RRS. Brownells has the pig saddle on sale. Came out to $145 shipped for the saddle and arca plate.

Woke up this morning with with a tripod setup at the bottom of my wishlist.

Should have everything by next week. :LOL: I hate this place.

Reactions: Rexwagon
Just got this item in today from Amazon. This thread made me go ahead and pull the trigger on it. Seems super stable and very well made. Now just waiting on my innorel ball head I ordered. Thanks for all the info guys!

This isn't normal for the TA 3 is it? It can't be top loaded with the lever fully open and a plate won't slide freely with the lever half open. It will slide freely with the lever halfway between full and half open. That screw is clearly what's stopping it from fully opening.

I won't have acess to my Allen wrenhes for a couple days to see if it's too loose. Maybe RRS put too tall of a screw in that spot?
IMG_2187.JPG

Man that blows! I do apologize on the behalf of RRS. Sucks you don’t have any keys available. It should have shipped with the necessary keys. Looks like the screw wasn’t tightened enough.

It was tightened all the way down, but it was still hitting the bottom of the screw hole. I trimmed the screw a bit and removed a little bit from the bottom of the screw head. Tightens up flush and works fine now.
IMG_2204.JPG

So here is the prototype mount for an anvil 30. Machined a new plate and then drilled. This plate is a first run so the one hole was drilled incorrect. So only 3 bolts are locking it in. But I can also use the other 3 that are not threaded for pins. With 3 bolts it stops any rotation solidly. The center stud is a bolt machined away for clearance of the anti rotation bolts.

Future refinement might include a larger step down for the center stem of the anvil 30 to sit into.

Attachments

• 2660E55D-3B49-4AA9-ABC7-E1558B95AD68.jpeg
    2660E55D-3B49-4AA9-ABC7-E1558B95AD68.jpeg
    475.3 KB · Views: 160
  • D03ADD92-76EE-4DFC-B16E-CE4493094885.jpeg
    D03ADD92-76EE-4DFC-B16E-CE4493094885.jpeg
    426.4 KB · Views: 178
  • D5F78091-4B27-40E3-8681-2D62A7F775CD.jpeg
    D5F78091-4B27-40E3-8681-2D62A7F775CD.jpeg
    324.8 KB · Views: 165
  • 04DE3FC3-9C73-4BF7-BDB4-02C2AB9400E4.jpeg
    04DE3FC3-9C73-4BF7-BDB4-02C2AB9400E4.jpeg
    332.2 KB · Views: 166
  • 14EE15C5-6E74-456D-85AF-86B44A1EC26D.jpeg
    14EE15C5-6E74-456D-85AF-86B44A1EC26D.jpeg
    254.4 KB · Views: 171
So here is the prototype mount for an anvil 30. Machined a new plate and then drilled. This plate is a first run so the one hole was drilled incorrect. So only 3 bolts are locking it in. But I can also use the other 3 that are not threaded for pins. With 3 bolts it stops any rotation solidly. The center stud is a bolt machined away for clearance of the anti rotation bolts.

Future refinement might include a larger step down for the center stem of the anvil 30 to sit into.
So how much? ;)

Reactions: Rexwagon
I want to pull the trigger but can't seem to find a good picatinny adapter. Anyone have a good one?
The anvil will do arca and pic, but it’s expensive. Or you could use a field optics ballhead, but I don’t have experience with it.

Got the rt-80c and lh-55 no neck ballhead. Seems pretty stable, haven’t shot off it yet. I’m pretty happy with it, going to be mainly used for spotting

Attachments

• 6FEA65CC-E35D-49FD-A712-AC35D556AA80.jpeg
    6FEA65CC-E35D-49FD-A712-AC35D556AA80.jpeg
    171.8 KB · Views: 240
  • 4726ECF4-0569-4258-B833-BD9011FD9EF9.jpeg
    4726ECF4-0569-4258-B833-BD9011FD9EF9.jpeg
    426.6 KB · Views: 223
Has anybody tried both the RT80c and the RT90c? Wondering if the stability increase with the RT90 is worth the weight increase over the RT80c.

Looking to pick up my first tripod to use for non competitive distance shooting and occasionally for coyote hunting.

Has anybody tried both the RT80c and the RT90c? Wondering if the stability increase with the RT90 is worth the weight increase over the RT80c.

Looking to pick up my first tripod to use for non competitive distance shooting and occasionally for coyote hunting.

Yes. I returned the 80.

Not happy with ordering a Innorel RT90C tripod. I just Amazon and thought I was dealing with a company since the name was USA innorel. Wrong, shipped to wrong address and wrong name on tracking. I recieved emails asking for my phone number after they since the package which I figured was spam. That last email address for my cell because they wanted to make sure I recieved the live animals ok.

Now after all this Amazon stills makes me wait for a refund!!

My anvil came in today. I gotta say it’s damn nice. Being that I’m short, two legs extended is perfect height for a standing shot.
View attachment 7185550
IMG_20181015_194645.jpg
7A5AB342-F946-4BF6-A691-FC088262D156.jpeg
IMG_2242.JPG

20191117_110939.jpg

If you guys are shooting your tripods with the legs setup like this, I would encourage you to experiment. It is probably one of the worst leg configs for a standing shot, especially if you want to see your trace while minimizing your wobble.

You should easily be able to see the support issue in the images above. That said kneeling or siting, the legs for a much larger base so it doesn't matter as much.

Even when not set up as a direct mount you'll notice the legs do not for a monopod in the front..

Of corse I just shot this left handed on a right hander, is best with the right leg closer to 5 O'clock were as a left hand positon is nearer 7 O'clock

Last edited:
Reactions: gconnoyer
I edited the post to add more info. I am not saying you can't hit things like you guys are setting up. Clearly you can, but a bit of setup change and you can load the tripod less (less wobble) and have the tripod do some of the work.. You be faster and a better shot with just slight tweaks.
I’m having a bit of a hard time following your post. So if I’m understanding this correctly, I should kick out the legs at more on an angle to get a more stable position?

I 'think' he's trying to say that pushing on the front leg in a center position is NOT the best way. If you're right handed, shooting right handed, rotate the tripod slightly clockwise. You'll need to find the sweet spot practicing. At least, that's what I've found shooting from a standing position using a tripod. Sitting or kneeling is not as critical as the tripod is much more rigid and your center of gravity is much lower.

Last edited:
Reactions: Diver160651
For a right hander, you need to rotate the tripod clockwise, making a bit of room for the shooter on the left side of the gun. Tripods actually shoot well 180 degrees to the images most of the guys post, but the rear facing leg gets in the way of the mag and shooter, hence the offset. As Jeff said low positions and wide legs are so stable any comfortable position works

For a right hander, you need to rotate the tripod clockwise, making a bit of room for the shooter on the left side of the gun. Tripods actually shoot well 180 degrees to the images most of the guys post, but the rear facing leg gets in the way of the mag and shooter, hence the offset. As Jeff said low positions and wide legs are so stable any comfortable position works
Ok got it. Thanks so much for pointing this out. I’ll give it a go next time I’m out.

Reactions: Diver160651
Ok got it. Thanks so much for pointing this out. I’ll give it a go next time I’m out.
Takes a bit of time, but by loading the gun less (not free-recoil, your shoulder is still on the gun) to eliminate shooter induced shake, then letting the tripod help with recoil, you’ll probably shoot 1/2 minute @100 regularly, even standing. Just need to play with it a bit.

Last edited:
Takes a bit of time, but by loading the gun less (not free-recoil, your shoulder is still on the gun) to eliminate shooter induced shake, then letting the tripod help with recoil, you’ll probably shoot 1/2 minute regularly even standing. Just need to play with it a bit.
Thanks for the info, I'll have to play with this. That's my setup you referenced in the pic. I've read your tripod write ups in the past and guess I thought that was how you always recommended to set it up.?

I 'think' he's trying to say that pushing on the front leg in a center position is NOT the best way. If you're right handed, shooting right handed, rotate the tripod slightly clockwise. You'll need to find the sweet spot practicing. At least, that's what I've found shooting from a standing position using a tripod. Sitting or kneeling is not as critical as the tripod is much more rigid and your center of gravity is much lower.

Yep. I found this out pretty quick the first time getting behind mine.

Reactions: Jefe's Dope
Thanks for the info, I'll have to play with this. That's my setup you referenced in the pic. I've read your tripod write ups in the past and guess I thought that was how you always recommended to set it up.?
Of course no worries -- it really used to be rough just a hand full of years ago when all we knew was the center column aluminum tripods.

4 more un-asked for tips... only trying to help hoping that someone reading might get an idea and put their own flavor on their needs, not in anyway trying to be anything else. I am sure a lot of people know these tips, but certain many do not judging form the pics I tend to see.

1. Always extend the lower leg first *if* you expect that you will be using multiple leg sections. Extend the section closest to the head last. -- This saves tons of time and is safer than having to go to the lower leg and extend it more because your top sections are max'd out. Use the top section for final adjustments. I've seen guys tip their tripod over trying to adjust their lower legs after the tops were fully extended and they needed more height. The "pro tip" if nothing else, is if you extend the bottom first, your not having to move the tripod even in your hands because the leg locks are not moving away from you; it is simply faster. If your setting or kneeling and for certain do not need the full height of even the upper, then use the top sections.

2. Use a silver sharpie and mark your upper leg with your standing position, setting and kneeling. That's my match pack in the image.. I just pulled one leg out to show the markings.. I actually used a white paint marker from ACE.
Unknown-5.jpeg

3. You may get lucky if you play around and find that standing is with the lower legs all the way out, kneeling just the uppers and sitting in a wide stance all with the same upper leg markings.. For me Standing is lower leg fully out, then the upper as marked, kneeling is as marked with the lower legs in and sitting is as marked with the legs one click wider.. Make the setup know, before I deploy the tripod. Take the time at home to play with this. Again you will be faster and smoother.. This will help in matches and hunting.

4. For high angle shooting do not be afraid to work one or more tripod legs in the wide or widest angle position. This helps shorten the leg and makes it very stable. I usually run the leg "up" the sloped FFP at the angle, including side hills. For super up angle , I will actually run the tripod 180 to the images and straddle the rearward facing leg.. The Image below Elk hunting after taking a Bull at the far ridge -(thats my brother-in-law on my gun I setup, my pack is in the shadow) - note the right leg is angled up the hill to effectively lower the leg and adding stability, while staying low and hidden by the brush in front. That is much faster and more solid than trying to extend the other two legs. In some steep places extending the legs isn't an option anyway.
Unknown-6.jpeg

To wilson3899 point, play with this stuff..

edited to add, it is always better to start to high than to low... if you can only remember 1 thing that would be it. We ran a field tripod match and I gave everyone that hint in prematch emails and again at the stage.. after they finished the stage and once I actually explained it, 90% of them said they wish they had listened..

stay tuned we’ll have another of theses in 2020, 2 PRS Regional Qualifiers, several PRS Club series and NRL22 matches.
4669CD8A-5A6B-431A-826F-09C8F677CF43.png

Edited to add - 11-22-2020 come out and use your tripod! Fun team match, we can help set you up with a teammate of you need one -free camping-

Last edited:
Of course no worries -- it really used to be rough just a hand full of years ago when all we knew was the center column aluminum tripods.

4 more un-asked for tips... only trying to help hoping that someone reading might get an idea and put their own flavor on their needs, not in anyway trying to be anything else. I am sure a lot of people know these tips, but certain many do not judging form the pics I tend to see.

1. Always extend the lower leg first *if* you expect that you will be using multiple leg sections. Extend the section closest to the head last. -- This saves tons of time and is safer than having to go to the lower leg and extend it more because your top sections are max'd out. Use the top section for final adjustments. I've seen guys tip their tripod over trying to adjust their lower legs after the tops were fully extended and they needed more height. The "pro tip" if nothing else, is if you extend the bottom first, your not having to move the tripod even in your hands because the leg locks are not moving away from you; it is simply faster. If your setting or kneeling and for certain do not need the full height of even the upper, then use the top sections.

2. Use a silver sharpie and mark your upper leg with your standing position, setting and kneeling. That's my match pack in the image.. I just pulled one leg out to show the markings.. I actually used a white paint marker from ACE.
View attachment 7204782
3. You may get lucky if you play around and find that standing is with the lower legs all the way out, kneeling just the uppers and sitting in a wide stance all with the same upper leg markings.. For me Standing is lower leg fully out, then the upper as marked, kneeling is as marked with the lower legs in and sitting is as marked with the legs one click wider.. Make the setup know, before I deploy the tripod. Take the time at home to play with this. Again you will be faster and smoother.. This will help in matches and hunting.

4. For high angle shooting do not be afraid to work one or more tripod legs in the wide or widest angle position. This helps shorten the leg and makes it very stable. I usually run the leg "up" the sloped FFP at the angle, including side hills. For super up angle , I will actually run the tripod 180 to the images and straddle the rearward facing leg.. The Image below Elk hunting after taking a Bull at the far ridge -(thats my brother-in-law on my gun I setup, my pack is in the shadow) - note the right leg is angled up the hill to effectively lower the leg and adding stability, while staying low and hidden by the brush in front. That is much faster and more solid than trying to extend the other two legs. In some steep places extending the legs isn't an option anyway.
View attachment 7204783

To wilson3899 point, play with this stuff..

I keep the lower legs at their locked height. It only adds about 6" to my overall collapsed length and is one(3) less locks to manipulate. It also happens to be the right length for when kneeling/sitting w/o extending any of the legs, just opening them. I also leave all the other locks 'loose' but not too 'loose'. When folded the three feet meet and keep the legs from extending. When I'm ready, I can open the legs and use a downward throwing motion and it will extend all the legs at once and I can then just tighten the locks. I start at the top of one leg and work my way down. Once that leg is locked it gets set down for stability and I can then lock the other two legs. it's extremely efficient but takes a little practice. You also want to find just the right amount of tension on the 'loose' locks.

Maybe I'll take some video if anyone's is interested and having difficulty understanding what I'm trying to convey.

I keep the lower legs at their locked height. It only adds about 6" to my overall collapsed length and is one(3) less locks to manipulate. It also happens to be the right length for when kneeling/sitting w/o extending any of the legs, just opening them. I also leave all the other locks 'loose' but not too 'loose'. When folded the three feet meet and keep the legs from extending. When I'm ready, I can open the legs and use a downward throwing motion and it will extend all the legs at once and I can then just tighten the locks. I start at the top of one leg and work my way down. Once that leg is locked it gets set down for stability and I can then lock the other two legs. it's extremely efficient but takes a little practice. You also want to find just the right amount of tension on the 'loose' locks.

Maybe I'll take some video if anyone's is interested and having difficulty understanding what I'm trying to convey.
Hunting, I do something similar, except I run my upper legs at the standing/sitting/kneeling mark as in my image above. I sling the tripod so the extra length is not in play. That way the tripod is ready to deploy in a sitting or kneeling position almost immediately. That for sure would be my preferred position to shoot from. That said, if I know that I’m going to be taking a standing shot or the likelihood is high I’ll have the thing set up and slung under my arm. RRS has great sling flush cups. I hunt in the West so the ranges tend to be longer and we are not bumping game

For the typical PRS match I just leave the tripod at standing height fold the legs and throw the sling over my shoulder. I think the Really Right Stuff, flush cup sfling adapters could probably be adapted to the other tripods

Last edited:
Reactions: Jefe's Dope