• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Introducing the AI Obsession Chassis

Production version looks good to go.
- 1.5" longer
- 8 vs 7 M-Lok slots
- 13% stiffer
- Internal weight 6oz heavier (30 vs 24oz)
- Better NV setup, includes 20 MOA co-linear pic rail

Shown is the full 3D printed production prototype, with the metal machined prototype in front.

23E27451-832B-41AE-9DA1-138912F135E4.jpeg

Thanks guys. I've been putting in a lot of hours making sure the production version is ready and will exceed expectations. I appreciate the feedback, especially after grinding through some late nights getting all the prints ready for the machine shop.

@Tim Brush I'm honestly not sure, I don't believe I can export something of this dollar value to the UK without using an exporter. If there is an export company you've used before, please let me know and I can look into it further. I have had interest from Canada as well, but I'm pretty sure it will have the same issue (except it's $500 vs $100 in the UK if I remember correctly).

Reactions: BLKWLFK9
Looks awesome! While I'm a Pale Brown guy myself, will black be available as a cerakote or anodized option?

Hi,

As scotchegg and samb have mentioned in so many words :) is that there are not any "issues" per say but yes there are some "restrictions" better known as licenses/permits.

You will have to have an exporter in USA complete (with all the supporting documents) a DSP-5(Permanent Exportation) application and submit to the DDTC for review and approval.
Some of the supporting documents the exporter will need will be:
Signed PO
Import Permit from UK and/or an official (On letterhead) statement from UK authorities that an import permit is not allowed.
DSP-83 which the exporter should complete for you and send to you for signature.

And just before the International experts get involved and say, advise, comment, etc about this vs that.....Stocks and chassis fall under Subsection H.

Category I—Firearms, Close Assault Weapons and Combat Shotguns
*(a) Nonautomatic and semi-automatic firearms to caliber .50 inclusive (12.7 mm).

*(b) Fully automatic firearms to .50 caliber inclusive (12.7 mm).

*(c) Firearms or other weapons (e.g. insurgency-counterinsurgency, close assault weapons systems) having a special military application regardless of caliber.

*(d) Combat shotguns. This includes any shotgun with a barrel length less than 18 inches.

*(e) Silencers, mufflers, sound and flash suppressors for the articles in (a) through (d) of this category and their specifically designed, modified or adapted components and parts.

(f) Riflescopes manufactured to military specifications (See category XII(c) for controls on night sighting devices.)

*(g) Barrels, cylinders, receivers (frames) or complete breech mechanisms for the articles in paragraphs (a) through (d) of this category.

(h) Components, parts, accessories and attachments for the articles in paragraphs (a) through (g) of this category.

Sincerely,
Theis

Now it's time for the internet to do what the internet do & argue with someone who has quite clearly done his homework...

Go!
Not recommended to try to argue with @THEIS. He deals with that for a living. One of the early lessons I learned here. Don't get on Theis bad side.

Looks awesome! While I'm a Pale Brown guy myself, will black be available as a cerakote or anodized option?
Black cerakote will be available, didn't think it was worth mentioning since it's not a "custom" color hehe. I'll have to talk with the shop to see what other colors they offer, and if there would be a special charge for other colors.

Not sure on getting one anodized, I'm sure I could if someone really wanted it. I have a local shop I use for the accessories, I don't see why they couldn't Type-III black hardcoat it, unless it's too large for their tanks or something?

I will also offer the chassis in the raw at a small discount for anyone that wants to send it off for their own custom Cerakote.

Reactions: RS14
Ballpark price ? And gunsmith costs to install?
Thanks
I don't have firm pricing, but what I've been saying is I will sell them as a kit only (chassis + internal weight + NV bridge + NV pic rail), and will try to have the chassis in the same ballpark as an ACC or MPA chassis, and accessories a nominal price as well.

All of the hardware for the accessories, and necessary epoxy + tools will be included in the kit. I have a rough installation video, but will make an updated and edited version. I originally used the Devcon plastic-steel epoxy, but have since switched to the "official" Devcon Aluminum Putty which is stupid expensive but apparently what the AI mothership actually uses.

I'm not an FFL, so I will not be able to accept customer rifles to do the install myself. I think with a solid afternoon you can do the whole process. Or do the de-bonding, cleaning, and prep on one evening, and bond it all together another night.

Well I take exception to your assertion that people on the internet argue...in my opinion words words words, because clearly blah blah blah, so really YOU need to do your homework!

?
Oh yeah, well... Your mother's basement... Cheetos dust... Call of Duty... SHTF... Multicam.

But I'm not gonna argue with you... You seem like the type that prefers a SFP scope with mildot reticle & ¼ MOA turrets, there's no talking any sense into you.

:p

One of my testers putting in some off-season practice with his mis-matched Obsession chassis.

I am patiently awaiting the quote package from the machine shop; once I have that in hand I’ll work on figuring out pricing and putting together a group buy here on SH.

Thanks for the continued support and patience to everyone here that’s shown interest in this progress. I’m hoping 2020 will be an eventful year!

6393442C-8A19-49FD-9167-5AEA7CAAC2AB.jpeg

One of my testers putting in some off-season practice with his mis-matched Obsession chassis.

I am patiently awaiting the quote package from the machine shop; once I have that in hand I’ll work on figuring out pricing and putting together a group buy here on SH.

Thanks for the continued support and patience to everyone here that’s shown interest in this progress. I’m hoping 2020 will be an eventful year!

View attachment 7208299
saw it on Instagram earlier today. It looks so good. I cant wait till I can order one and get it in and installed.

Sorry for the dumb question (awaits rocks being thrown) but is this only compatible with AI actions for now?
Yes, AW/AT/AX factory short-actions only. Both LH and RH will work. I might get some made with a R700 inlet at some point, but I know the market for that would be small because people would need to cannibalize their existing R700 AI chassis to use the buttstock, grip skins, and mag catch.

@samb300
I assume that the AI NV bridge (# 26619) would not fit your forend and would be made redundant by your bridge. Is that correct?
Correct. The chassis has a dedicated NV bridge and 20 MOA pic rail that will come with the kit. There was no good way to incorporate the AT NV bridge, and with not being able to use the AI KeySlot interface, I had to design one myself.

The bridge itself will be able to be moved front to back along the entire length of the forend. Both for proper positioning with NV optics, and for customized position for use of the front support hand (without the pic rail).

EED4E158-7F5E-43F4-AD20-63914F6E9A56.jpeg

If I was ballin, I would personally guarantee that anyone who bought one and didnt like it, I would buy their AI from them. That is how confident I am in anyone who has an AI and wants to further excel in competitive shooting will love the feel of their rifle with this chassis.

Reactions: RS14 and kthomas
Do you have any weight comparisons between your chassis and a stock AT (with similar rear ends)?

I ask because while balance is important for match shooting I'd find my AW more usable as a general purpose rifle if I could shed some of its weight. So my primary interest is in finding some gains there as it has been the platform I've shot extensively for almost a decade now

Do you have any weight comparisons between your chassis and a stock AT (with similar rear ends)?

I ask because while balance is important for match shooting I'd find my AW more usable as a general purpose rifle if I could shed some of its weight. So my primary interest is in finding some gains there as it has been the platform I've shot extensively for almost a decade now
I still need to get some exact weights, but IIRC the Obsession chassis is the same weight or lighter than an AW/AT or an AX, especially if using a bolt-on Arca rail on the forend.

The main objective of the chassis was to provide the best performance and functionality for a competition oriented rifle. Weight savings was not really considered, though the add-on weights (internal and external) are completely optional, along with the NV bridge.

Let me pull out the de-bonded AT and AX I have, and fire up my CAD software and I’ll get some hard numbers for you.

Patiently waiting for the the go ahead to order a left handed version.

Merry Christmas all
The chassis is completely ambidextrous, so you’ll be good to go either LH or RH (I shoot lefty myself, so that was a big consideration of the design).

Thanks, and Merry Christmas to you too!

Any chance you would make these for a Tikka? Does it include everything besides skins and the butt assembly? Because I read in a earlier post for Rem 700 you would have to use cannibalizes the old chassis. But if it’s just skins and butt assy you can purchase them.

Any chance you would make these for a Tikka? Does it include everything besides skins and the butt assembly? Because I read in a earlier post for Rem 700 you would have to use cannibalizes the old chassis. But if it’s just skins and butt assy you can purchase them.
I don’t have any plans at the moment for a Tikka inlet chassis. I’m still working out if it makes sense to do a R700 inlet for “trainer rifle” builds. TBH I want one for a Vudoo 22LR trainer, but I don’t know if the market is there.

You’re correct, the user could purchase the buttstock, grip panels, and magazine catch components to “build” a chassis with my forend. One downside of this is the AX308 factory rifle has a slightly different buttstock than the AX-AICS R700 version. The AX-AICS version has a larger opening for folding over the bolt knob, and the cheek piece goes a little lower. So stealing the buttstock from an AX-AICS chassis would be the ideal setup, but at a much greater $ cost.

If I had my own cnc and could make these 1 at a time to order, it would make more sense. But if I have to order in large batches and pay for programming, I don’t think I’d come close to breaking even if I did a run of Tikka or R700 chassis.

A heads up to everyone that’s been patiently waiting...

I’m getting final quotes back now on the production machining. My plan now is to put the numbers together and get a group buy going here on Sniper’s Hide right after SHOT Show.

Nothing is set in stone, but my initial thoughts are to offer a group buy Pre-Order, asking for a deposit in exchange for a discounted final price. I need to place a bulk order with the machine shop, but since I don’t have a good feel for exactly how many kits I should have made, a pre-order would help firm the number and help pay for materials and machining.

Let me know your thoughts! I know some are against pre-orders due to some bad experiences here in the past, but I hope my openness and communication will foster confidence.

Thanks everyone!

Sam

C6D3CBAF-B187-49CB-B89C-E13235FBF73B.jpeg

3FCCD044-9EFF-4FF5-AE1B-25E947BC4F94.jpeg

8DB688EC-5DF1-43C5-9875-260D9DC90919.jpeg

I’m getting final quotes back now on the production machining. My plan now is to put the numbers together and get a group buy going here on Sniper’s Hide right after SHOT Show.

Nothing is set in stone, but my initial thoughts are to offer a group buy Pre-Order, asking for a deposit in exchange for a discounted final price. I need to place a bulk order with the machine shop, but since I don’t have a good feel for exactly how many kits I should have made, a pre-order would help firm the number and help pay for materials and machining.

Let me know your thoughts! I know some are against pre-orders due to some bad experiences here in the past, but I hope my openness and communication will foster confidence.

Thanks everyone!

Sam

View attachment 7228564

View attachment 7228565

View attachment 7228566

Ready to send you some money soon as you say too.

Thanks everyone!

Sam

View attachment 7228564

View attachment 7228565

View attachment 7228566

Can you give us a ballpark price?

Great design work! I have priced out prototyping some of my designs as well. It is really expensive! You can get some better pricing on it in asia but the dang ITAR messes that up for firearm components.

Can you give us a ballpark price?
The plan (again, due to batch ordering/pricing at the machine shop) is to offer the chassis as a kit. It will be too difficult in such small numbers to carry inventory of accessories. The kit will be the chassis, internal weight, NV bridge, and NV Picatinny rail. Of course all the hardware and anything needed for the installation will be included.

My goal has always been to offer the chassis and components at “market price.” I understand that this isn’t a full chassis with buttstock like an ACC, so the apples to apples price may seem more expensive. The other way I looked at it was: if you bought an AT, my chassis kit, and an AX buttstock, the price would be about the same (or less) as an AX. But you can run it with the AT buttstock and it’ll function perfectly.

Sorry that was long winded! I really do just need to sit down and figure out the exact pricing. My main priority is just making back the money spent on the prototype run haha. At least take it from a hobby cost to maybe something profitable. Maybe I’ll be blown away by the pre-orders and I can change my approach.

Thanks,

Sam

Thanks for the support!
No problem man. You’ve made another awesome product. And your doing it for all the right reasons. I just hope it’s a successful as it should be. And I hope I’m lucky enough to get my hands on it. Plus from all previous conversations you seem to be a pretty cool dude. So glad to help the cause.

Reactions: samb300
Dude that must be be most interesting and innovating thing I've seen in a long time.

I don't have an AI and you make me want to buy one just to get your chassis!

Have you think about approching AI or MDT with that idea and sell them the concept?
Thanks man, I appreciate it. It’s kinda crazy that I’ve been working on this thing for a year!

Without getting into specifics, MDT was in touch early on, but the reality of the niche AI market prevented any real interest.

AI is awesome, and I (obviously) love their products. But they want to do things their way, and I have to respect that. They have been cool about it though, and one of the AI team shooters has been testing the chassis - and loving it ?

Thanks man, I appreciate it. It’s kinda crazy that I’ve been working on this thing for a year!

Without getting into specifics, MDT was in touch early on, but the reality of the niche AI market prevented any real interest.

AI is awesome, and I (obviously) love their products. But they want to do things their way, and I have to respect that. They have been cool about it though, and one of the AI team shooters has been testing the chassis - and loving it ?

Yeah I can completely see all that. But I think your chassis is gonna bring a lot more interest into AI for competition use. And I think it would be awesome if a company like MDT got involved. But hopefully it takes off and is super successful as AO only. And thats awesome to hear that AI is cool with it all and the team shooter has been loving the prototype.