Is lubing the neck really required?

Nor you, apparently.
Probably why you don’t need to lube necks are anneal.

since you have never shot over shotmarkers (you would have used them instead of 6-month-old chronos if you had them) it's funny that you think you've ever tested something - which you clearly must believe you have since you think yelling at me about the necessity of mandrels, lube, or annealing is justified.

you have no idea what you're doing downrange with any chnages you make (don't talk to me about 200 yard paper). the resolution of shooting over a system like that offers is unbelivable and nearly unparalleled.

All that time actually learning something from my shooting is how I shoot better chronos and targets than you with half the steps.

I’ve shot mandrel, sizing button, no sizing button or mandrel. The truth is it doesn’t matter that much and the whidden/ sac FL is perfectly fine and much easier to use. Remember the more handling steps you add the more room for error and deviation there is.

If you arent already shooting 5-7 sd and trying to get to 1-4 you don’t need a mandrel, neck lube, annealer, moly, arbor dies, sort components or turn necks. And since this isn’t an f class or benchrest page the difference between 6 and 3 sd virtually zero under 1k yards.
I take any and every advantage or edge I can get within reason to improve my reloads and results on target.
I am admittedly not a competition shooter but a very competitive person by nature of my OCD tendencies 🤣.
If I feel like a process as simple as an expander mandrel or turning arbor improves the consistency of my reloaded rifle rounds its worth the miniscule difference in my time spent adding the extra step.
I have loaded some stupid accurate rifle ammo over the years shot in sporter hunting rifles with minimal prep with mediocre dies and other less than premium equipment but once those are compared to well prepped brass and components loaded to a more scrutinized process past 600 yards at a minimum the argument kind of falls apart.

Reactions: simonp
I take any and every advantage or edge I can get within reason to improve my reloads and results on target.
I am admittedly not a competition shooter but a very competitive person by nature of my OCD tendencies 🤣.
If I feel like a process as simple as an expander mandrel or turning arbor improves the consistency of my reloaded rifle rounds its worth the miniscule difference in my time spent adding the extra step.
I have loaded some stupid accurate rifle ammo over the years shot in sporter hunting rifles with minimal prep with mediocre dies and other less than premium equipment but once those are compared to well prepped brass and components loaded to a more scrutinized process past 600 yards at a minimum the argument kind of falls apart.

They have just as much chance - especially neck turning - to harm your reloads more than help.

If you’re doing all that at a high level and seeing 1-4 sd that’s great! If you’re doing all that for 10sd - way more harm than good.