• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Range Report Kestrel with Horus Atrag

valentine

Private
Minuteman
Aug 28, 2008
Germany
Hello everybody,

if there is a thread with discusses this topic, please point me in the correct direction. My search function didn´t show anything useable.
Now the question:
I read on the Kestrel Homepage (www.nkhome.com) that there is a Kestrel with an integrated Horus Atrag ballistic computer.
Has anybody ever used this?
Does anybody know how to get this and how much this is?
Any and all information about this product would be welcome.
Thanks

Re: Kestrel with Horus Atrag

I don't believe they are available yet. They made a press release regarding it and I thought that it was supposed to be released this fall but not much info has surfaced after the press release as far as I know.

J.Myers keep an eye out in the equipment forum because when it gets released im certain one of the many vendors on here will post up a thread... and those guys will have it ASAP

I think the biggest question mark so far is that everyone is curious about the font sizes and information displayed on the little kestrel screen.

I think I will wait a while before the 4500NV gets sold that way I can read more reviews and stuff

Thank you everybody for all the input. I do not think I will have a problem with the small screen. All I need is the the drop and drift for the distance I'm shooting at. I do not need any drop charts if i carry a ballistic computer. just two number, drop and drift, done. So if anybody sees it released al little note here on the hide would be very welcome.

I´m sorry for not making a clearly understandable post.
I meant that if I carry a ballistic computer it needs not to calculate all the values for the condition just the values for the distance for example the drop and drift for 300m. Not all vales form 0m to 1000m for let´s say 1000 mbar and 20°C. I always have a drop and drift chart in my head to back the calcuation up. I never rely on a single electronic system.

@Lindy: I haven´t had a chance to use any variant of Horus before... but the reviews aren´t bad overall? This should be the essential from both worlds merged together...

Seems they´re actually adding little bits of info to that dedicated site, didn´t have the pics the last time I looked: http://nkhome.com/wp/2010/09/kestrel-with-horus-atrag-ballistics-firing-off-faqs/

I realy wonder what the price will be... it´s either this or jbm´s Ballisticomp once it´s available.

Actually, personally I've not much interest in this product.

HorusVision's ballistic software has already been pretty good, but I have Field Firing Solutions software, which is better, if I want to carry a PDA in the field.

But I think a Density Altitude dope card is more practical and useful in the field. For the kind of shooting I do, it's not practical to use a wind meter while actually shooting.

The Kestrel setup might be fine for F-class or similar range shooting, but that's not my game.