X - Vectronix Shooting Solutions

If you have the current software (v2.11) on the Foretrex 901 you can go to the "Environment" menu, select "Wind Mode" and set to "True Wind Direction" and get the behavior you want.
Well, I've never ran to a computer so fast to update a device 😆

Updated and will give a test on the next outting.

Thanks!

Reactions: DRWilson
I'm doing a pre-order on these. Get ya some !!

Okay,

I know I am a minute late due to unforeseen circumstances but I am back to putting this together

Here was the initial pairing, super fast, super easy, it immediately went into pairing mode and then gave me a firmware update. The Firmware update was done on the range with cellular data and took about a minute 45 seconds to complete

I spent some time at a nature reserve today with this years two laser range finding binos I have on hand for review, the Gen 2 Sig 10k and Vectronix Vector X. The idea was basically so spend some time in nature with the little one, get some pretty photos though the binos, and do a little rangefinder capability testing. I took a mountain of photos and quite a few very nice ones came out. I was quite pleased especially as I was only able to use a tripod for a few of the longest distance photos. Here are a few from the Vector X bios.

2024 8 15 vector x deer at 801.jpg

Deer @ 801yds though the Vectronix Vector x binos

2024 8 15 vector x deer in mud.jpg

Deer wallowing in the mud though the Vectronix Vector X binos

2024 8 15 vector x bison at 1937.jpg

Bison herd @ 1937 yds through the Vectronix Vector X binos

Somebody that have these in hand mind measuring the eyepiece diameter? I haven’t been able to find it on the specs sheets I’ve looked at and wanting to order a Magview adapter.

Somebody that have these in hand mind measuring the eyepiece diameter? I haven’t been able to find it on the specs sheets I’ve looked at and wanting to order a Magview adapter.
The are not totally tubular. The diameter at the very end where they interface with your eye socket after a sharp taper for the last quarter inch is 1.68". Once you reach what looks like the full diameter, about .25" from the end the diameter is 1.76". This gradually tapers to 1.77" at the base of the eyecaps. So... about as inconvenient as it could be for the magview adapters.

Reactions: dubbednate
The are not totally tubular. The diameter at the very end where they interface with your eye socket after a sharp taper for the last quarter inch is 1.68". Once you reach what looks like the full diameter, about .25" from the end the diameter is 1.76". This gradually tapers to 1.77" at the base of the eyecaps. So... about as inconvenient as it could be for the magview adapters.

Good to know. Thank you very much.

Are these worth twice the price of the Vortex with AB? Using EV the Fury’s are half the price, and I’m just looking to get into my first competitions this year. Jump straight to the Vectronix or will the Vortex suffice?

I feel “worth” is subjective. I’m getting them because of the etched reticle. It’s a plus to me they do everything my Fury 5000 ABs do with better glass and the range enhancers.

I have not felt crippled by my Vortex Fury’s by anymeans, but I wanted to get the Vector X’s etched reticle so I can measure targets for my wind budget easier.

Last edited:
@ruger35 I'm doing a preorder on these.... see link below

will the Vortex suffice?
If you already have the Vortexes, run them for your first match. I and plenty of others do fine with them, even some top shooters too. If you don't have LRF binos, I'd reach out to the MD & see if they have loaners for your first match, then reassess.

1) most of us haven't seen the Vector X's

2) It's difficult for me to recommend expensive niche gear to someone that hasn't shot a match. If you don't enjoy it or just want to shoot a match or two each year, the Vortexes might be better for you. On the other hand, if you end up loving field matches, you're definitely going to want to upgrade from the Fury ABs and may regret purchasing them.

If you already have the Vortexes, run them for your first match. I and plenty of others do fine with them, even some top shooters too. If you don't have LRF binos, I'd reach out to the MD & see if they have loaners for your first match, then reassess.

1) most of us haven't seen the Vector X's

2) It's difficult for me to recommend expensive niche gear to someone that hasn't shot a match. If you don't enjoy it or just want to shoot a match or two each year, the Vortexes might be better for you. On the other hand, if you end up loving field matches, you're definitely going to want to upgrade from the Fury ABs and may regret purchasing them.
I currently have a pair of Vortex regular bino's and a Sig Kilo, so as far as LRF Bino's I am starting from scratch.

I spent some time at a nature reserve today with this years two laser range finding binos I have on hand for review, the Gen 2 Sig 10k and Vectronix Vector X. The idea was basically so spend some time in nature with the little one, get some pretty photos though the binos, and do a little rangefinder capability testing. I took a mountain of photos and quite a few very nice ones came out. I was quite pleased especially as I was only able to use a tripod for a few of the longest distance photos. Here are a few from the Vector X bios.

2024 8 15 vector x deer at 801.jpg

Deer @ 801yds though the Vectronix Vector x binos

2024 8 15 vector x deer in mud.jpg

Deer wallowing in the mud though the Vectronix Vector X binos

2024 8 15 vector x bison at 1937.jpg

Bison herd @ 1937 yds through the Vectronix Vector X binos
@BigJimFish
Its hard to tell in the pictures but is the glass of the Vector X's quite a bit better than the Sig 10k Gen II's? Is the Vector glass Leica 3200.com quality?

@BigJimFish
Its hard to tell in the pictures but is the glass of the Vector X's quite a bit better than the Sig 10k Gen II's? Is the Vector glass Leica 3200.com quality?
Yes, the Vector X glass is in the league of Leica geovids. When compared to my Geovid Pro 32's the Vector X showed slightly more resolution and had a bigger FOV. Both optics were quite good and about equivalent on chromatic aberration and I thought the Geovids had a bit more contrast and were better twords the edge of the image (though remember they have less FOV). Both optics had similar pincushion distortion as neither appear to have field flatteners. It is not so easy to evaluate depth of field comparitivly as the Leicas are 8x instead of 10x so I don't have a good comparison on that aspect. Overall, I would characterize the Vector X optical performance as comparable with Geovids which, is quite good. Both are also significantly better optical performers than the G2 Sig 10k's.

Yes, the Vector X glass is in the league of Leica geovids. When compared to my Geovid Pro 32's the Vector X showed slightly more resolution and had a bigger FOV. Both optics were quite good and about equivalent on chromatic aberration and I thought the Geovids had a bit more contrast and were better twords the edge of the image (though remember they have less FOV). Both optics had similar pincushion distortion as neither appear to have field flatteners. It is not so easy to evaluate depth of field comparitivly as the Leicas are 8x instead of 10x so I don't have a good comparison on that aspect. Overall, I would characterize the Vector X optical performance as comparable with Geovids which, is quite good. Both are also significantly better optical performers than the G2 Sig 10k's.
Do you or anyone one else know if they changed the function of having to hold the range button down for a few seconds first to turn the bino on before you’re able to range? On the video that X ring posted that was one of the things he didn’t like in his pre-production model. I want a bino that’s ready to go when I hit the range button.

Do you or anyone one else know if they changed the function of having to hold the range button down for a few seconds first to turn the bino on before you’re able to range? On the video that X ring posted that was one of the things he didn’t like in his pre-production model. I want a bino that’s ready to go when I hit the range button.
I do not have to hold the range button down a few seconds to wake the unit. Just pressing the range button wakes it up. It does not have to be held. After pressing to wake, It does then take a second to boot up at which point pressing the range button again ranges. This is not different than on other rangefinders such as the Sig 10k or Leica Geovid though the Sig seems like it might be about 1/2 second faster waking. The reason the wake process feels different on the Vector X is that you have an etched reticle always present so you might try to range from a sleeping unit. Back in the day, the original Vectronix Terrapin, which, also has an etched reticle did range on the first press from sleep but that unit is slow enough I suspect it may have been booting and ranging all in one go.

I do not have to hold the range button down a few seconds to wake the unit. Just pressing the range button wakes it up. It does not have to be held. After pressing to wake, It does then take a second to boot up at which point pressing the range button again ranges. This is not different than on other rangefinders such as the Sig 10k or Leica Geovid though the Sig seems like it might be about 1/2 second faster waking. The reason the wake process feels different on the Vector X is that you have an etched reticle always present so you might try to range from a sleeping unit. Back in the day, the original Vectronix Terrapin, which, also has an etched reticle did range on the first press from sleep but that unit is slow enough I suspect it may have been booting and ranging all in one go.
Perfect! Sounds reasonable to me. Thanks for the input!

For a couple years now I have been attempting to range a giant causeway and bridge across one of the reservoirs local to me here in central Ohio. I have probably fired well over 100 beams at every part of the bridge and causeway over the years without ever getting a return in daylight. I was able to get it yesterday by catching the beam under the deck and above the pylons with the Vectronix Vector X binos at a massive 6,405 yards. That is a truly massive number to pull in daylight. The conditions seemed bright to me but they must have been pretty good from the standpoint of a rangefinder as both the Sig 10k and the Vector X were pulling ranges on trees at greater than 3,500 yards.

2024 8 22 6k yd bridge vectronix vector x.jpg

Ranging a bridge at a massive 6,405 yards in bright daylight with the Vectronix Vector X

Are the laser and reticle pretty well squared up? Any deviation?
The center of the beam in my unit is about .5 mils right of the center of the reticle and perhaps .2 or so high. I have marked the spot in the below image. I have slipped a little hand drawn diagram of this into the rangefinder pouch in case I forget. Fortunately, the Vector's reticle has fine graduations so it is easy to keep the correct spot precisely identified. I expect that this degree of deviation is probably well within the tolerances that most rangefinder makers accept in QC.
2024 8 15 beam center vector x.jpg

@BigJimFish Can the temperature be locked or manually input on the Vector X’s like it can be on the Gen II 10k’s?
The short answer is yes, but you have a lot more choices than that. In the binoculars, unconnected to the app, your choices are to utilize the binos sensor or to input a temperature manually. This is very fast to do between the OLED screen and the full D-pad menu interface. If you are connected to the app, you can pull up the below environment screen which will populate with GPS determined local weather measurement data in the upper box and your choices for what is used in the calculation below. In this case you can choose device (this is the binos onboard sensor), internet for local weather station based data, or you can manually input the data. As you can see, this screen shot was taken when I was testing how much effect you could get on temp data from the binos sitting in the sun. It is what you would expect and your probably best off using weather station data for your calculations most times you have cell signal. The pressure sensor in the binos seems to generally be in pretty good agreement with local weather stations but the temp sensor will heat up a good bit when the binos are sitting in the sun and I do not belive the humidity sensor is super accurate. I was standing on top a dam 50 feet from a massive reservour at the time of this measurement. I don't think 23% was correct for the humidity. It certainly didn't feel like 23%.

2024 8 22 environmentals vector x.jpg

The center of the beam in my unit is about .5 mils right of the center of the reticle and perhaps .2 or so high. I have marked the spot in the below image. I have slipped a little hand drawn diagram of this into the rangefinder pouch in case I forget. Fortunately, the Vector's reticle has fine graduations so it is easy to keep the correct spot precisely identified. I expect that this degree of deviation is probably well within the tolerances that most rangefinder makers accept in QC.
View attachment 8487852

The short answer is yes, but you have a lot more choices than that. In the binoculars, unconnected to the app, your choices are to utilize the binos sensor or to input a temperature manually. This is very fast to do between the OLED screen and the full D-pad menu interface. If you are connected to the app, you can pull up the below environment screen which will populate with GPS determined local weather measurement data in the upper box and your choices for what is used in the calculation below. In this case you can choose device (this is the binos onboard sensor), internet for local weather station based data, or you can manually input the data. As you can see, this screen shot was taken when I was testing how much effect you could get on temp data from the binos sitting in the sun. It is what you would expect and your probably best off using weather station data for your calculations most times you have cell signal. The pressure sensor in the binos seems to generally be in pretty good agreement with local weather stations but the temp sensor will heat up a good bit when the binos are sitting in the sun and I do not belive the humidity sensor is super accurate. I was standing on top a dam 50 feet from a massive reservour at the time of this measurement. I don't think 23% was correct for the humidity. It certainly didn't feel like 23%.

View attachment 8487853
Thanks for the info. Im mainly concerned with the sensors input/output while I’m in a hunting scenario which will usually mean I’m out of cell range. We don’t have much humidity here anyways so that shouldn’t be a problem.

That is disappointing. I was hoping they'd be better co-witnessed than that. I hope the pair I get is better than that. I want them to replace the Steiner.

I realize the Steiner 1535 four times the cost but my pair is spot on. That with the very fine reticle makes ranging small targets easier.

Reactions: lead ƒarmer
Updating the firmware, sending profiles and ranges from and to the VectorX via app is pretty damn fast. Going to rock them at a local PRS Regional match this upcoming Sunday.

View attachment 8489901
Man, the lower half of that display is making my eyes kinda swim. Stuff is too close together.

How many clicks to get to that screen?

To get to that specific target card, after you hit the range button to turn on, about 2 clicks. Gotta hold the center button (shortcut) on D-Pad Control (Directional Pad) to get to the menu screen. Then right.

To get to the target card to actually laser each individual target/ letter while it’s on “range mode” (meaning not on menu), gotta hold the right button (another shortcut) on D-Pad control and you’re there. Just toggle right as you laser each.

Reactions: parshal