• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Let's solve this savage dbm problem

Re: Let's solve this savage dbm problem

get with z71rat on the followers and stuff. his CETME conversion uses them and guys are buying stuff to do the conversion. you two may be able to help eachother out

Finally the computer back up and running.

<span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">I lost about 5 days of mail that was not backed up so if you emailed me and I did not get back with you please contact me again.</span></span> [email protected]

I have just a few mags left from my initial run so I am currently contacting a few guys at a time to fill orders from my waiting list.

<span style="font-weight: bold">I have a new lot in process, should be ready to ship in about 2 weeks. </span> Got behind on CNC work due to the storms and power failures.

These are the new aluminum follower and AR style spring. I am having great success with this combo and getting excellent feedback.

Thanks for all the patience, I am working as fast as I can on them but have a lot of custom rifle work to get done as well.

Dan

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: deadeye</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am working as fast as I can on them.

Dan </div></div>

Nobody is going to be upset with you and your time line. Even if it takes you 3 months, you are still about 9 months faster than SSS!! LOL!!

DK

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: z71rat</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: deadeye</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am working as fast as I can on them.

Dan </div></div>

Nobody is going to be upset with you and your time line. Even if it takes you 3 months, you are still about 9 months faster than SSS!! LOL!!

DK </div></div>

LMAO +1

Almost ready with the second batch. Hopefully within a week if the anodizing goes quick.

Putting out feelers for WSM size in 5 round. The short fat ones take up a huge amount of space double stacked in the box- in fact it takes the same space as the 10 round 308 to fit just 5.

They require the least changes to make so I may knock off a few of those if there is interest.

Then on to the smaller 223/204 size as I had several guys ask for those.

Dan

Recieved my conversion mag from Z71 today. Since my rifle is chambered in 300 WSM, it holds 5 rounds, which is a lot better than the 2 round factory, functions smooth, no problems at all. Looks good too.
2po8ec5.jpg

I am not even a Savage owner, but my best friend is and I was doing a search for him and this caught my eye. I just read through this entire thread; it is a thing of beauty watching the development process of a few dedicated individuals and the support they received from the community. Makes me proud to be a part of such a great shooting community.

I need to get some pics with my rifle up here with Dan's mag (has no scope at the moment so it it is a paper weight). It really is top notch. I should have ordered the extended mag release while I was getting the mag as now that the bottom isn't flat to the stock it bugs me to reach up and find the release in front of the mag.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: billyburl2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Recieved my conversion mag from Z71 today. Since my rifle is chambered in 300 WSM, it holds 5 rounds, which is a lot better than the 2 round factory, functions smooth, no problems at all. Looks good too.
2po8ec5.jpg
</div></div>

Great looking rig Brother!!! Nice lookin mag kit too!!! LOL!!

DK

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jbak</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am not even a Savage owner, but my best friend is and I was doing a search for him and this caught my eye. I just read through this entire thread; it is a thing of beauty watching the development process of a few dedicated individuals and the support they received from the community. Makes me proud to be a part of such a great shooting community. </div></div>

I appreciate the kind words!! I am sure Dan shares in this opinion, that we enjoy doing this stuff for the best bunch of shooting Buds we could have ever asked for. It is definitely our pleasure!!!!

DK

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: z71rat</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jbak</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am not even a Savage owner, but my best friend is and I was doing a search for him and this caught my eye. I just read through this entire thread; it is a thing of beauty watching the development process of a few dedicated individuals and the support they received from the community. Makes me proud to be a part of such a great shooting community. </div></div>

I appreciate the kind words!! I am sure Dan shares in this opinion, that we enjoy doing this stuff for the best bunch of shooting Buds we could have ever asked for. It is definitely our pleasure!!!!

DK </div></div>

I had no idea what an undertaking this would actually turn out to be when I started it. I figured how hard can it be to make a deep box and throw a double spring into it?

Well, I have learned there is a hell of a lot more going on in a double stack magazine than 99% of their users realize (me included). So here I am now with a 10 round mag that has a custom spring and aluminum follower. Much farther off the path than intended.

What I appreciate most is the guys here that have patiently waited for me to work out the kinks and give feedback on my work as it progressed.

And the kind words from guys telling me it's worth the effort has kept me going on this. It's been hard keeping up my regular work and doing this on the side but the feedback and great comments has kept me going on it.

Thanks guys -

Dan

just got my Dark Eagle Custom 10 round mag and extended mag release. install was a breeze, and ill get pics as soon as i charge the freaking batteries. top notch stuff.

5784785292_a5df2b8a07_b.jpg

5784786034_d11a51d98a_b.jpg

5784232003_ab66b53f8b_b.jpg

5784786676_7771e7ca40_b.jpg

I will have to get a pic of my 10 rounder up here. Been waiting on a scope so I had a reason to get it out of the safe again.

1 Thing I would suggest would be that when you get the 10 rounder get the extended mag release as it is hard to get up in the bottom metal to find the stock one when in a hurry.

Just so that nobody thinks I may have died or fell off the earth or something...

I would like to introduce the new "ST RatMag"... pretty catchy huh?? I have taken the previous design, and eliminated the epoxy problem all together. This is a steel HK G3 magazine body WELDED to the factory Savage magazine body!!

There is still some work to be done... as I have to figure out an easier way to get rid of the dang rust. What a PAIN!! So far so good, it is a VERY substantial magazine now. I will have to figure out an easier way to go about making the assembly, as it is a bit more labor intensive than the aluminum version. A little tricky yes... but the prototype is freakin awesome!!

DK

mag02.jpg

mag01.jpg

mag03.jpg

He is right with the coke bit. Or if you are really into it sandblast it and paint it.

Rat I would still like to try one of your mags. For me the concern is dropping them on rocks or putting the rifle down hard on a mag (I live in the desert so that is where I shoot
smile.gif
)I wondered if the epoxy would hold up to the abuse. Why type of spring are you running in these mags (HK spring or mod Savage spring)?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AXEMAN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">he is working on a welded version... </div></div>

Yea that is why I posted about being interested in trying one. I looked at getting awhile back but then the 10 rounder from DarkEagle came out and I grab one of those as I felt it would deal with environment better. I still would like to look at Rat's as a possible cheaper option but we shall see when he gets the welded version all ready for market.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: z71rat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">.... There is still some work to be done... as I have to figure out an easier way to get rid of the dang rust. What a PAIN!! ...</div></div>

This is what you want: http://www.krudkutter.com/mustrust.asp

Available at home depot. It removes rust and leaves behind a light phos coat that paint sticks to well.

I soaked the mag bodies in coke over night, and seemed to do the trick. I was pretty happy at that point, so I took them all to the shop and started cutting... stinks and is a freakin pain.

I cut up and processed all 10 bodies, ground off the finish on the tabs, and started welding everything up. I found that there is alot of differences in the metal used in the surplus mags. I had everything set up the same way that I did my first prototype, and only 1 turned out as good as the first.

I am having to use quite a bit of clamping force to get the welder to arc. I am averaging about 4 seconds per weld. On my prototype, I built it basically the same way as my original aluminum design, and I didn't include the rear tab. After welding everything up, it was then time to grind all the welds smooth. Again, a big freakin pain. It wasn't so bad in doing just the 1 prototype, but trying to get these done to sell is a whole different story.

Now comes the crappy part. My prototype is the ONLY FREAKIN MAG THAT WILL FEED CORRECTLY!!!! I welded the rear tabs on all the other magazines, and they will not work. Pitted bodies and pitted springs add up to non-functioning mags... period!!

I have tried to change the spring geometry to avoid the spring guides... no luck. I lubed everything up... no luck. I tried some of my other mag springs... no luck. I am now looking at everything that I have invested in money and tools and time... and I am getting NOWHERE FAST!!

Then, to top it off, I welded the rear tab on my prototype... and now that one won't feed anything but 6 rounds. So now I have gone through 10 G3 steel bodies, 10 factory Savage bodies, and I have not a single steel magazine that works properly. NONE!!

So with all of that rant over... I am abandoning the steel magazine version all together. I was at least having fun building the aluminum bodied mags. I will be building nothing but the aluminum bodies with the cut tabs, both front and rear. There will be no need to worry about the epoxy separating, as it will be the mechanical lock that holds things together.

ACE... not a problem man, feel free to go with Deadeye's mag... looks like a good piece of kit!! I wish I hadn't sold MY aluminum magazine now... idiot. Live and learn... sometimes the hard way...

DK

any thought to using them silver multipurpose rods they sell at the gunshows? they stick anything together. more brazing than welding, but they work there at the show on demo stuff

To be very honest, I am so frustrated with the whole deal that I believe I will end up just bowing out of the game. Just in my time spent alone... it is a losing proposition for me. Especially since Deadeye has a great working copy. More power to him.

Besides, I would much rather watch a machine do this crap than me doing it all by hand. I am tired, frustrated, disgusted, and several other things that I won't mention here.

I will be finishing out the remaining orders that I have now, then I am done...

DK

great effort man. last thought, a combo of tabs and epoxy? did the epoxy fail? keep hammering out the tab ones at least, you are offering a much needed product. take a break, let it stew and look at refinements. i have one of deadeyes but yours offer the cost most people want. once a guy gets used to spending 80-90 then he is just a step away from aics. i wish we could get thru to accurate and see if they will make bigger upper parts to increase capacity

The tab and epoxy combo is what I was building just prior to trying the steel version. The guys that have them have nothing but praise about them, and are wanting more. One guy, who is not easily impressed according to his shooting buddies, wrote out a check and said "I want 2 ASAP"!! So I guess all is not lost.

I will be finishing out the orders that I have now, and have promised some to the guys that have been buying the most. I will take care of them just for trying to help me out.

I thought this was going to be a win-win situation, but it has taken it's toll on me, my family, and my bank account. I only got into this to begin with to help everyone out. Now all I do is build magazines, and I don't get to shoot... which is what this stuff was all about to begin with!!

DK

just do it one or two days a week. i still have a few things to get taken care of and ill want a few myself. do it only when you have time man. take a step back and dont mess with them for a week. you still have parts and stuff to use up. salvage the parts you can and just dont let it frustrate you. thats when i usually grab a hammer and hulk out, lol. HULK SMASH!!

meanwhile, see if you can find the oldest welder (person) you can

Z -

Hang in there. Axe is right, step back and take a break
sleep.gif

I have had the same frustrations as I worked through mine. No welding of course but figuring out how to make an aluminum follower that would work and how to hold the spring with it.

The frustration of making such a deep cut, the cost of tooling - especially when one of those long end mills breaks
mad.gif

Spent a fortune on springs I will never use. It's going to be quite a while before I ever show a profit - with the long tooling needed and time to machine even with good CNC equipment - but there is a need for our shooting friends that needs filling.

Hours and hours with friends playing with the spring geometry. It was easy to get one
grin.gif
- another story to get repeatable results. My wife couldn't live with me.

Then it seemed like it all came together one night and I found what works over and over so hang in there.

Dan

Thanks for the words of encouragement. It definately is a most frustrating proposition. All I ever wanted to do was help. I knew that it wasn't going to be an actual "business" for me, but the cost and time was alot higher than I ever thought it could be.

I am currently searching for the "magic bullet" to get the adhesion problems corrected. I know it has to be a flexible bond to join the dissimilar metals together and try to avoid the corrosion from the electrolosis. So just with that problem alone, I know that this will not be a permanent solution.

The mechanical lock is an absolute must... obviously. So I will be working on an "easier" way to make the mechanical lock. I will definately have to take it slower than I have been going, just to keep what little bit of sanity that I have left.

"HULK SMASH" sounds pretty good right now!! LOL!!

DK

Rat: I for one appreciate the work you've done for me. I hope everything works out for you. If you weren't clear across the country I'd take you out for a nice cold beer.

man i cant tell you how many models i smashed as a kid after the moldings wouldnt fit right. plus i rushed. my uncle was great at painting and details. built great stuff. he say one of my planes, a C-130 and asked if i glued it or welded it, lol. hell i did it all in one day. ok afternoon. ok, an hour. i just was more into crash simulations than quality finishes
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tip2oo3</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Rat: I for one appreciate the work you've done for me. I hope everything works out for you. If you weren't clear across the country I'd take you out for a nice cold beer. </div></div>

I have your mag upgrades finished. However, it seems that something has gone by the way side. It will cycle the rounds... sorta. I will get it figured out... hopefully prior to losin what brain cells i have left.

DK

You know, if I still drank beer... that sounds really good. However, I will just gladly take a nice cold glass of water.

Maybe that is why I am so freakin frustrated. Next month will make 3 years since I have had any alcohol in me... besides cough syrup. Man, how time flys...

DK

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AXEMAN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i did it all in one day. ok afternoon. ok, an hour.</div></div>

Sounds exactly like me... LOL!!

DK

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tip2oo3</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Rat: I for one appreciate the work you've done for me. I hope everything works out for you. If you weren't clear across the country I'd take you out for a nice cold beer. </div></div>

Well... it is comments like this that keep me going. Just so you know... the "upgrades" are complete, and it fully runs all 10 rounds like a freakin charm!!

I did have to take a step back and give everything some serious thought. And guess what, I now know exactly what the problem was with the other mags that I went into "full production" on, and NONE of them would cycle all the rounds. I studied and studied, and I finally gave up and just looked over my original prototype to see what was different with it, and why that magazine would run and the others wouldn't. I felt like kickin myself for not thinkin of doin that to begin with.

Anyways, your magazine will be in the mail comin to you tomorrow!!

DK

Hey All,

I just wanted to post another great experience with the Darkeagle Custom mags. I ordered two from Dan and and release extender last week and he shipped them right out, got them yesterday. I haven't been out to the range yet but the fit and finish of these are fantastic, I'm confident they'll perform. It was amazing watching this thread develop and then to have one of the final results in my hands at the end. Thanks to the OP for getting it started and to Dan for his work and talent. If you're still sitting on the fence don't, just email Deadeye and you'll finally have your 10 rounders for your savage.

Kevin

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SmokinAce</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice work! </div></div>

Thanks Bro!! It is greatly appreciated!!

DK

Here ya go... this outta get your blood pumpin!! Just on a whim, I built this one after I got off work today at 2:30pm. I finished her up and brought her home. So, without further adieu, here we go. Drum roll please... LOL!!

Introducing the RatMag "ST-15" magazine for your Savage!!

The ST is of course for "steel", and the 15... well, count them... that is right... 15 ROUNDS!! Took me quite a while, but man, I love the results with the improved manufacturing processes.

Fully welded, fully functional, fully guaranteed!! I already have the ST-10 perfected. Soon to be in process will be the ST-12, as well as the ST-15 shown here.

DK

IMAG0135.jpg