looking for a cartridge...

Fred @ Bison Tactical

Bison Tactical
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
  • May 18, 2012
    Boulder, CO
    www.bisontactical.com
    I have read most of the post in the sticky's about whats the best caliber. But because of the nature of the post -- most of the material is in the various posts, its very difficult to determine a selection.

I am posting here asking for assistance since my goal is beyond 1000yards.

I would like a cartridge choice that will provide 1000 ft lbs of energy at 1750 yards. I would like a bullet with a decent Ballistic Coefficient, and a cartridge that give barrell life - say on average 2500 rounds or better.

I would like the least expensive of the possible cartridges that fit this category. I understand that this will likely result in handloading my cartridges. From some little research on the Ballistics calculators, it seems like a .308 will not make the cut.

If someone can give me some suggestions as starting points I would greatly appreciate it...

Re: looking for a cartridge...

.300 win mag shooting 230gr Berger hybrid target bullets will meet all of your requirements. Barrel life may be close.

.338 EDGE will do all of the same with less wind hold but, it will cost more to shoot.

Sorry to resurect this. I went with .338 LM as I can get factory ammo (at higher cost). I plan to reload for it, but if for some reason I need ammo and can't reload have a standard cartridge in my mind is better. Also, I think if I needed to, resell value on a standardized cartridge would be higher - vs. something like .338 Edge.

Go with a cartriage that you dont have to fire form the brass. This gets to be a pain. A 338 Lapua, 338/408 CT. There are many choices, but think about how much recoil you can handle for multiple shot strings. The biggest problem will be the brass.

375 Cheytac you can get loaded Ammo from Hunting shack of Montana and reloading components which it;s cheaper to hand load recoil is very manageable in a 16 lb gun and you'll have all the reach you are asking for.
    100_0568.jpg