• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

M40 Build Guide

Re: M40 Build Guide

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jtv3062</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I thought its stamped. </div></div>

I believe the originals were roll stamped.

I thought These things were RARE???

P1000574-1.jpg
P1000575-1.jpg

P1000573-1.jpg

Rare, yes! Why, apparently because of guys LIKE YOU! LOL.
You got the market cornered. Sort of like the Hunt Bros with silver.
Am I jealous? Yep!
Really a Nice Collection.
Now get that M40A1 return lying there finished.

Thats a nice collection of scope mount bases, u got a lot of stuff,u be interested in maybe saleing one of them lugged scope bases, that unertle or uso would be nice on my rifle.

Did you have the barreled action parkerized? If so, who did it for you? When I talked to GAP about doing my M40, they said that they don't do parkerizing.

Thanks, Greg V

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dutch Gunny</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hello, I am following this topic already for a long time and had 2 M40's built.
Although I joined the Hide some time ago I was never active, but I like to change that now.

I hope you don't mind, but I like to show you my 2nd M40 replica built by GAP.
My 1st M40 was also built by GAP but got stolen during transportation.

I bought a Remington BDL short action receiver here with a correct 6 digit serial number starting with a 2.
I was a .243 Cal at GAP they rebuilt it into a .308.

PICT0392.jpg

PICT0390.jpg

The stock I ordered at Accurate Innovations, after reading Mel's M40 built spec's at Sniper Central, with a Alu bedding.

P1030233.jpg

It has a correct barrel spec's a 1:10 twist, correct length and no target crown.
The Barrel is from Bartlein

100_17551.jpg

RotationofP1020216.jpg

I found on e-bay an original Redfield scope mount and low scope rings.
I bought a Green coated refurbished Redfield accutrack scope from Ironsight.

P1020191.jpg

At GAP they added the correct markings to the receiver, U.S, and to the Barrel, 7.62 NATO.

100_18011.jpg

I am real happy with the rifle it shoots fantastic.
The only thing I still need to change is the butt plate, but since it is a custom stock I will need to make a custom butt plate as well.

Also would like a Green Anodized scope, but I am not willing to pay $7500 (currently on e-bay)
Still like to shoot it and don't want a show case rifle.

100_1798.jpg

DSC04530.jpg

</div></div>

Eodcam, been looking for years and have never seen one, I know a few others that have been looking a lot longer than folks have had interest in these rifles and still ain't seen one, but I guess that what happens when you live in the Mid-west or Northwest. I do have plenty of the correct rings and a nice original Satin anodized accurange, but the base has always eluded me. Glad to hear someone is taking over Mike's business as he was always very good option for a M40 stock at a reasonable price. Thats a nice collection you have got going there, heres a few I have stashed away.
Marty
Rings and bases
Redfieldrings002.jpg

Scopes
Redfield3x9021.jpg

more bases
PICT0104.jpg

The correct swivel
M40swivel004.jpg

Another donor to the cause
PICT0066-1.jpg

Is this odyssey ever going to end

I've got a question for you guys! I came across a 70s-80s adl stock with checkering. Does anyone have any idea on how to get the channel for the barrel to be fit with my heavy barrel?

Is it just sanding and sanding? I don't want to weaken the stock to much. Thanks guys!

Also MJH, those are awesome rings and bases! I don't know where yall get these parts!

fish2keel, a lot easier to remove the checkering if its pressed rather than cut, use wood dowels of increasing diamter, I started at about 5/8 i think and worked up, heres some pictures of an older pressed fit stock I had worked on.
IMG_1567.jpg

IMG_1565.jpg

IMG_1566.jpg

Longbowmech, I really don't think, there is what one would call a proper color for the M40. Most will agree that the parkerizing on the rifle had a greenish tint. From what I have read, it seems that it was caused by contaminants in the parkerizing solution or as some folks have proven that coating the barreled action in cosmoline will result in the parkerizing taking on a greenish tint. I have actually experimented with a high quality artist oils, rubbing it into the parked metal to get the result that I wanted.

I read some time ago that the original formula for Parkerizing had copper sulphate in it and that combined with the oils that were applied to the metal, gave the green tint. I don't know if that is true or not, just throwing it out there.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Slick66</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am looking for a checkered metal buttplate.

Are they available anywhere? </div></div>

Here you go (third item down on the list):
http://www.deathfromafar.com/htm/08_iba_one-of-a-kind.shtml

Whether the price is reasonable or not, that's up to you. Good luck.

Added: As pointed out below, you can find the proper butt pad for a lot less on GB or elsewhere if you look around. IBA just popped up first in my mind, as I know they have these older parts for sale.

Here are some pictures of the triggers that came on my project rifles. Both had 1968 barrel date codes, one in Feb. and the other in Dec. The earlier one had the two piece sear
Apr302011016.jpg

Apr302011014.jpg

Just wondering which bottom metal are most of you guys using, since I am using a modern barreled action, it has that plasticy look to it. Might be tough to find older bdl bottom metal. Was the older metal(trigger guard and floor plate) heavier like the Mauser bottom metal. Maybe a PTG?

Same material was used then as current production. Only difference was being that it was flat black on all BDL's up until 69ish then they went to the gloss that was common for so many years on the BDL. A different flat black then used on current production nowdays, it was smooth finish, not textured.

Anyone got a place for a nylon sling? I got a set of rings and bases today. The stock is almost completely sanded with all checkering off as well. I'm going to take my trigger to get worked on then will put it all back together.

I have a question though other than where to get the sling. Did any of the m40's or anyone from Vietnam ever use a check rest? I know that they are made today and are seen with tape on a lot of rifles today. Just couldn't find a picture in the book "One Round War" that have an original m40 with a check pad/rest

Did you buy the rings and bases posted for sale here on the Hide? If so the 4 screw rings were supposed to be medium and the base listed was first used on the M40A1's, never on the M40's.

Never seen any type of cheek rest on the M40's but that doesn't mean something wasn't cobbled up by a long necked grunt needing a better cheek weld.

SDWhirlwind,

Yea I grabbed the ones from the hide member. I couldn't find anything else that were close not even badger ordinance. Its not going on a six digit action until I can come across one, so it will just have to do for now. just looking to get some of the correct parts together and it to look correct.

My eyes are actually on a seven digit action for a special m40 build

Here's one for all of you that have your M40's done. The powers at be have given their blessing to hold a CMP Vintage Sniper Match at Quantico, VA with the Addition of the M40 and Win M70! The distances are going to be 300 and 600 yards. Lets see whose build and / or owner shoots the best! More to follow!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: budiceale</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i don't know if this info has been put out yet but try numrich for the swivels. part number 83350A or 83350B. i think thats the ones i bought and they look perfect. </div></div>

Numrich's website says these are both rear swivels, are they both the wood screw threads or is one of them the front swivel with machine screw threads ?

thats true. they both have wood threads. the front swivel on the 513t schematic appears to be totally different and goes on a rail or something. i'm going to use the wood screws for front and rear. may not be exactly correct but close enough for me. don't want to pay for the wichita's. if the front hole starts showing any signs of wallowing out, i'll figure something out then. but the stock i have is so hard and dense that i don't think that will happen.

Does anyone mind shedding some light on how to date these redfield scopes? I have a 3-9x round scope thats glossy black. It just says 3-9x redfield on the side but no serial numbers. Its a duplex reticle. The color is almost looking purple now in parts

Also does anyone know what the distance is of the thin line to the bottom of the thicker part of the duplex reticle? Im trying to figure out the wire size.

Thanks guys! The stock is pretty much finished. Just need to finish a few spots of checkering and then throw on some color to darker up the wood.

F2K, I don't think any documentation of how wide the wire was exists, its hards enough to date the scopes themselves. The pictures above that I posted are of the gloss and satin Redfield 3-9 accuranges,(2nd generation although an even earlier accurange was made by Redfield). Both scopes are from about the late sixites, the satin is older, the turret design is the giveaway. The early Redfields had serial numbers with a letter prefix, I know Xarmor and Scottx88 have a found a satin anodized scope as well, which was the Corps replacement for the orginal geen Redfields, although documentation on whether they were used in Vietnam is near impossible to find. I believe when I compared the serial numbers on the satin with someone elses, they were very close, in fact the same serial number range as the scopes used on the Armys original AR TEL scope.

They are second focal plane. Easiest way to tell the difference is look through them while changing power. If the reticle increases/decreases in size from one power to the next it is a first focal plane, if it stays the same size through entire power range it is a second focal plane!

Guy's I had an interesting find today. Please forgive me if it's already been talked about.

I have an early Remington Police Sniper from the 80's. I've read (on the net)that they came with original M40 stocks and Remington reprofiled the ends of the stock so they couldn't be sold as original M40 stock's.
P5070513.jpg

P5070514.jpg

Well in keeping up with this thread I finally got off my ass and bought the correct buttplate for my rifle because its basically my M40 clone. It has a plastic plate with 4 small screws.
DSCF0627.jpg

DSCF0628.jpg

It arrived today and to my surprise the stock was already drilled for the buttplate. Check this out the extra screw holes align perfectly and the buttplate fits like a glove. Now all I need is 2 screws.

DSCF0625.jpg

Bd1023, I know in the mid to late eighties Remington done a run like that for the Maryland state police, you might check with them to see if it was one of them unless the serial number is way off. Scott that's a great picture, a few years ago around older Remington police in 223 (circa 70's) was for sale on gunbroker, scope had a gloss accurange, the stock however did not have the schabel forend, have always kicked myself for not buying it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SDWhirlwind</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Just thought I would post a few pics of my latest project I did last week out of boredom. Have had a terminal mini boner for the M40's since the early 70's. Just because of their 'simplicity' in being an effective tool without all the bells, whistles, and chrome of most modern day rifles. Have had stocks, some barrel blanks and a couple of 6 digit receivers for many years but financial issues, health and other things have just kept me on different paths. Took a 40-X 22RF barreled receiver a bit over a year ago and made it up a bit. Haven't had the nerve to cut barrel to 24" as it shoots pretty descent as is. Have an XR with a 24" factory tube near identical to the Rem Varmint so may decide to redo it with that? Have plans of a rimfire, 223, 22-250?, 243, 260 and 308 for sure if I ever have the funds or live long enough! Don't know why I am doing it or what will happen to them in the future but can't seem to let it go.

Anyway here are a few pics of the 223 I did last week. Receiver is a 6 digit '64 model that was originally a 222mag and I almost made it that again but thought the 223 would be a bit more 'practical'. Killed over 100 fox with this receiver as a 222Mag and when they got mange in the mid 90's I redid it to a 223AI for a couple of reasons and shot probably close to 100 coyotes with it before putting that barrel on a stainless receiver. Barrel is a Border cut rifled 14 twist 6 groove. Bought it and an 8tw 6mm both of which were intended for a rail gun and were 1.375" diameter. Recontoured it on my Craftsman lathe to Rem Varmint contour before I rebuilt it years back. Cut at 24". Stock is aluminum pillar and glass bedded and stock finish is a 100% Tung Oil/mineral spirit mix. Need to figure out what type of metal finish I want to use and find money to pay for it yet. Haven't even broken the 'cherry' on it yet.
smile.gif
Not an 'exact' copy of the M40 I know. Don't know if I want to put 'correct' sling loops on it yet? Thought I would post a pic of what I have done so far with my 'obsession'
P1010013-1.jpg

P1010014-1.jpg

P1010016.jpg

P1010017.jpg

Thanks,
Respectfully,
Dennis </div></div>

The early wood stocked 700P's were bought by many PD's. I got the these stocks and several more from a PD that later went to HS stocks for their early duty rifles.