• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Mammoth Sniper Challenge - July 2011

socket70

Private
Minuteman
Dec 22, 2008
Marietta, GA
Out of the <span style="color: #3366FF">deep freeze</span> and into the <span style="color: #FF0000">frying pan</span>!

<span style="font-size: 14pt"><span style="font-weight: bold">Announcing the
Mammoth Sniper Challenge - Summer Match</span></span>

First, I want to say thank you to all of the competitors that came out to the inaugural Mammoth Sniper Challenge last month. We had a fantastic turnout and a great time, meeting new people and competing in a very tough course of fire for a fantastic prize table.

So now it's time to do it all over again.

= = = = = = = = = = =

Dates: July 8-10, 2011

The Mammoth Sniper Challenge is a 3-day team shooting competition held at Rockcastle Shooting Center in Park City, Kentucky. This event will offer unique opportunities to test your skill with a rifle and compete for prizes and bragging rights. The match will consist of:

- 2-person teams competing for a combined score
- 6 main stages of fire
- Bonus and side matches
- Scenario-based stages
- Shooting in the natural terrain

<span style="font-size: 11pt"><span style="font-weight: bold">Registration</span>:</span>

Early registration is open from Febrary 8-28, 2011 for shooters who competed in the 2011 Barrett Mammoth Sniper Challenge in January 2011.

New shooter registrations will be accepted starting on March 1, 2011.

Match fee is $300 <span style="font-weight: bold">per team</span> and includes (2) Match T-Shirts and dinner Saturday night.

Match will be capped at 60 teams, so get your registration form is ASAP.

<span style="font-size: 11pt"><span style="font-weight: bold">Match Details</span>:</span>

The match website is up with all of the latest details, so please check it out and read through the match description, rules, etc.

We are working on getting our sponsors lined up and hope to have a prize table even better than last time. Thanks again to all of the companies that sponsored the January match.

If you have any questions that aren't answered on the website, please post them up here or PM me.

Hope to see you all in July!

-Mike

Re: Mammoth Sniper Challenge - July 2011

bolt56,
Our application went out in the mail today. Asked that we be in the same squad as you and Randy. Looking forward to doing it again. This time we'll fry instead of freeze.
wink.gif

308guy

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eleaf</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anyone interested in taking on a partner for the comp? I've never been in a tactical comp before, and would LOVE to get in to it.

I just don't have a partner!

I'm in Central KY. </div></div>
When open registration begins, check with 1b375. He may have other shooters who need a partner for the match.

Mike & Joe,

Can you give us an idea of the amount of shooting that will take place at this event? I'm sure there is a lot of planning yet to be done, just curious on a ball park idea.

6 main stages over 3 days (2 stages per day)? I'm assuming the side matches etc will bump up the activity level?

Thanks, looking forward to shooting it!

David

David there will be 2 stages on Friday, 3 on Saturday, and 1 on Sunday. There will be some kind of side match on every stage to take up down time. We will start shooting after lunch on Friday. You will definitely get your fill of shooting over the days. More details about then side matches as we set them up.

The format is listed on the website.

Trying to get everyone out early on Sunday for travel. Also want everyone to be done shooting by 6:00 everyday so they can relax and enjoy themselves.

Mr. Google ? ?

Park Mammoth Resort is offering special packages for competitors. Room are available for $99 per night (double occupancy). To reserve your room for the match, please call 270-749-4101.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Poison123</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Whats the room rate? </div></div>

I made a reservation today. They quoted me $68/night which was what the rate was in Jan.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ~Ace~</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mr. Google ? ?

Park Mammoth Resort is offering special packages for competitors. Room are available for $99 per night (double occupancy). To reserve your room for the match, please call 270-749-4101.</div></div>

Doing your competitors a solid, how awesome... I'd hate to see the rates when they aren't special, or maybe it was $81 and the special is up $20 down $2

Gentlemen,
I see that there is some confusion about the room rates for the match. I apologize for that. There was an error when Joe’s team posted the summer match. They rolled over the room rates from the winter MSC. The summer Mammoth Sniper Challenge takes place in the heart of the tourist season and our rooms are in high demand. If you choose not to stay on property (match headquarters, match meals, and after hours camaraderie) then there are plenty of other options in the area. Our rate is $99.

Last year we hosted 8 shooting competitions and this year we will host 39. It is our experience that the people that do not stay on property typically wish they had once the match is over. One of the best aspects of Rockcastle is the social atmosphere at the lodge after shooting hours. It gives you a chance to see old friends and make new ones. Not only can you shoot out to 1,000 yards but you can also go back to the hotel and cuss the match director for making it too hard and have a cold beverage with your friends. You can’t do that anywhere else.

None the less, here are some other options for you:

Days Inn
102 Gardner Lane, Cave City, KY
(270) 773-3101
$75 ++ Tax - Two Double Beds

Best Western
1009 Doyle Ave
Cave City, KY 42127-8441
(270) 773-3161
$85 ++ Tax - Two Double Beds

Rockcastle Shooting Center
Home of Mammoth Sniper Challenge
22850 Louisville Road
Park City, KY 42160
$99++ Tax – Two Double Beds

Comfort Inn & Suites
801 Mammoth Cave Street
Cave City, KY 42127
(270) 773-2030
$119.99++ Tax – Two Double Beds

Please don’t hesitate to call me if you have any questions, comments or concerns.

Hopefully we will see you in July,

Nick Noble
CEO
Rockcastle Shooting Center
270-791-0171
[email protected]

Update on the match. I have reviewed all the aar's and especially the ones that were emailed to me personally.

There are some valid points that will be changed to make it a better match.

I will have some more updates ever week or so for the match. I don't want anymore not informed about the match and any updates.

If anyone has any questions please contact me personally or I will answer them on here.

After shooting the match I designed a page I know will be of great assistance to anyone that plans on shooting the Mammoth match.

This page will allow you to quickly write down your target number, the target size's, then get your target reading, then allow you to write the range for both your vertical and horizontal reading then on the far right wight your rifle data in place to be able to quickly look and reference the information and make the shot.

We have them in stock and ready for you to order. You can find the page in the index section of our site on the left side.

I-UKD-MS-2.jpg

Breeze you can put your MOA reading in the Mil box and then do the proper calculation.

Great point and on next run we will mod that box to say MIL/MOA.

Page works the same just different formulas which come in our index pages.

We only have about 12 team slots left at this point. If you are planning on shooting might want to get your apps in, I know of some teams that are sending theirs in soon.

I will be posting more about the stages in the next couple of weeks.

We are in the process of updating our sponsor page. We have some new companies on board.

Bushnell has come on board in a big way and we will be using their range finders during the stages they are allowed.

guys nomad at impact data books has made and now has available on his web site 2 data sheets specifically for this match, [no personal gain here, just spreading the word]. i just bought a bunch for myself and they look real good, you may want to check them out, here is the link to the thread here on shide:
http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...207#Post2537207
here is the link on their web site:
http://www.impactdatabooks.com/Index_Pages_Impact_Data_Books_s/117.htm

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1b375</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I will be posting more about the stages in the next couple of weeks.
</div></div>

And was wonder when the squad lists would be up?
Thanks

Joe or Mike,

Looking forward to the Summer Sizzler at Mammoth in a few weeks! After the deep freeze there in January I, for one, won't complain a bit about the heat!

Any updates on the match re stage content? I know we should expect just about anything but was curious if there would be any teasers or just straight forward information other than the expected round count that has already been communicated. I guess the biggest unknown is what type engagements/scenarios will involve the support weapon? Target distances sizes etc. Difficult to know what type optic to run on the secondary w/o a bit of general information as to what to expect.

Here is an equipment question that my partner and I have: The rules state that the team can have one designated primary and one designated secondary weapon, or each team member can have both a primary and secondary weapon (four weapons total for the team). How does that work exactly? If the team is using 4 weapons (two primary and two secondary) can you look at the stage and decide which weapons you want to use? See below for what I'm referring to. We just weren't quite sure how that would work.

Thanks for any additional information or clarification.

From the match website:

<span style="font-weight: bold">Weapon Systems
The team will use two different weapon systems during the match: The Primary and the Secondary:

•Primary Weapon System: Rifle chambered in any centerfire caliber up to and including .300 Winchester Magnum.
&#9702;Rifle can be either bolt-action or semi-automatic.
&#9702;Rifle should be capable of engaging targets out to 1000 meters.
•Secondard Weapon System: Rifle chambered in either 5.56x45 (.223) or 7.62x51 (.308).
&#9702;It is recommended that the secondary be an AR-style rifle (AR15, AR10, etc.) but it is not required.
&#9702;Rifle should be capable of engaging targets out to 500 meters.
•Before the first stage, each weapon system used by a team must be designated as either a primary or a secondary. So you cannot use the same weapon as both a primary and a secondary.
•<span style="color: #FF0000">Primary and secondary weapon systems can be shared between team members, or each team member can use their own primary and/or secondary.</span></span>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1b375</div><div class="ubbcode-body">David, I am driving back from the ironman in Idaho as I type. I will have a lot of info in the next few days for the match.</div></div>

Great! Safe travels Joe. Looking forward to the match!

David

Need to email the address from the website. [email protected] or call 770-634-2144.

We have received no emails or phone calls from your group. I assure you that all emails have been answered that have been received. I answer about 10 a day regarding the match.

Here are some details about the match and more will come as we get closer.

To answer some of DT1 questions: you can use the same primary and secondary weapon for the match. If I were shooting the match with my partner we both would bring our primary guns and share the secondary. The targets for the secondary will not go past 500 yards and will not be smaller than 2 moa past 300 yards. There will be targets from close in to 500 for the secondary.

The stages will run run approximately 5 to 7 minutes per stage. There will be some movement between primary and secondary positions on some of the stages and some not.

I have designed this match so the shooters will have a ton a fun and still be challenged as well. Communication will be the key between partners on the stages. We will decide who is the primary shooter on 4 stages and the teams will decide on 2 pf them. At the end of the match each shooter will have shot the primary 3 times and the secondary 3 times.

Stages will vary from each one. You will have to mil the targets on a few stages and you will be able to use supplied range finders on a few. Range cards will be made for you on a stage and some you will have to make your own. You will have ample time to make your range cards and the first team will have time to get ready before they shoot.

We were incorporating some side matches while you have some down time.

Schedule and squad list will be out next week.

I will be checking this site daily from now until the match. If you have any questions please feel free to ask or email me.

Secondary has to be .223 or .308, no wildcat rounds for the secondary.

If I were shooting this match I would use my daughters 3-gun ar for the secondary.