• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Rifle Scopes March glass versus Nightforce

338LM

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 20, 2003
STL Missouri
Where does the optical quality of March glass sit in relation to Nightforce, S&B, Zeiss, etc. I am assuming it is better glass than NF glass but probably not quite at the level of quality as S&B or Zeiss?

Re: March glass versus Nightforce

I can only compare the March glass with PM2's, lets just say S&B owner gutted when he realised what detail and resolution was available in dull, average and bright conditions.

In my opinion not better than Nightforce glass.

Honestly its really hard to compare them seeing the optical design is so different between them.

'Quality of the glass' really isn't a definable characteristic that can be compared between the two. The glass itself has many different attributes, clarity, distortion, chromatic aberration, light transmission, etc. Additionally the engineered design of the scope will effect things such as FOV, sensitivity of the eyebox, exit pupil, etc.

I will say this, I sold my F1 and bought a March 3-24 FFP and have no complaints. The FOV appears to be a bit smaller in the March but that may just be my perception, I haven't looked at the numbers between them. The March has parallax adjustment MUCH closer than the F1 (like 10yds vs 50yds) but that really doesn't matter to me because I'm not shooting airrifle with it. The March doesn't have any tunneling throughout the zoom range, has a LOT of eye relief, and is not nearly as sensitive to eye position as I expected it to be with the 42mm objective. It is probably a little less effective in extreme low light but below 10x zoom I doubt you could tell the difference between it and the 50mm NF. The March appears to have a very slight bit of CA at 24x, but only if you go looking for it by staring at white patio furniture in bright sun. Even then it's less than I'd expect from most camera lenses.

The March MAY have a little bit of distortion in the extreme outer ring of the the image, but it's small enough that I'm not sure I trust my eyes as you can only see it peripherally. So far I have absolutely no regrets dumping the NF for the March, and I liked my NF.

I've also own/owned 4 USOs, 2 IORs, 4 Vortex Vipers, and the SS 3-9. I can't say that I'd use my 20/15 vision eyes interpretation of the 'quality' of the glass as a differentiator between any of them.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Emouse</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you cant tell the difference in optical quality between an IOR and a Vortex, then yoy definitely need the help of an optician!</div></div>

You think so, huh? Tell me, what aspect of the image should I be looking for in order to differentiate in a blind taste test, as it were? Certainly the scope as a whole, there are differences. And sure, a larger exit pupil will let in more light than a small one. And a finicky 5x eyebox will behave differently than a forgiving 3x. One might tunnel or shadow easier than another. But the glass itself, I just don't see that much difference. None have bad CA or distortion or softness issues apart from focusing or parallax adjustment. Sure, there will be slight color saturation differences, but that comes down to personal preference more than anything else.

There are relatively few March tacticals out there so far so you aren’t going to find too many comparisons. ILya’s is probably the best one I can think of. Most of the “March vs. NF” discussions you’ll find are among BR shooters, talking about the bigger BR scopes. Many have said the big NF BR scopes have better glass than the NSX’s so that must be kept in mind.