Arken EP5 7- 35 .. Standing in for some Alpha Glass

My OPINION is my experience having bought 5 Arken scopes, and using 7 of them (2 were garbage right out of the box), including their SH4 Gen2, EP5, and EPL4 models. Not a single one of them could even remotely compete with my $1000 Vortex Viper HD, and I actually removed several Arkens and replaced them with Burris XTR-II 5-25x50 SCR MIL scopes that were on sale @ EuroOptic for $550 at the time, because they were better scopes, better glass, and built better. Facts are facts. Are Arkens good for their price point? Yes. Are they alpha-tier glass? Good luck trying to convince me otherwise, when I've looked through them side-by-side with my Kahles K624i & K318i scopes, Nightforce ATACR F1, Zeiss S3, Burris XTR-III, Vortex Razor Gen3, and many other "alpha tier" scopes I own.

The reason I'm curious is because 1.) I like that MPR reticle, 2.) I wouldn't mind a decent 7-35x56 for one of my target rifles, and 3.) the image he's posted up is exponentially better than any Arken I've ever seen, and I'm curious to know if they really stepped up their glass game that much.

If I can get him to ship me one for like $550-600 USD (like the sale price on their website), but from Oz with that MPR reticle that we can't get here in the US, and the glass is just as good as the images he shows, then I'm highly curious to try one myself.
I’m a poor that’s spending all my money into a yard etc right now. I’m looking for cheap and good.

A couple years back a friend suggested a budget longish range optic. It was pretty dang decent until lighting got a bit dim etc, and I couldn’t find my fucking reticle. Im
By no means experienced in high dollar optics, but I’m sure this wouldn’t have been an issue with something of higher quality. I also looked through a “just as good” scope recently and was terribly unimpressed with it. Different strokes for different folks I imagine.

Reactions: JS8588
As per my PM To you...
I now wonder if there is any glass differences between the "Aussie" version vs the USA version ???
The US versions were serviceable, but not what I'd consider high-end by any stretch. Impressive for the price point, and definitely would hold their own with some higher end scopes from 20-30 years ago, but not today's true alpha tier.

I truly wonder if the Aussie versions got better glass, or if they sent your dealer buddy some cherry-picked models that tested in the top 0.1% of their criteria? If your dealer buddy can get more of these "spec scopes" that I suspect they are, made to the highest tolerance standards they can, in order to get out to a few influencers to push them with better than average glass, better turrets, etc..., I'd be interested in the regular ol' price point. 🤣

That said, I noticed the 7-35x says it's a "EP5 Gen2"... I wonder if they actually got tired of everyone bitching about the glass and sending back their shitty EP5 scopes for replacement, and bumped up tiers with their supplier in Japan, and are now giving the people what they were originally promised?

Reactions: BCP and Abey669
Idk if any of you watch the mullets merica dude, but he shot an elr match with the ep5 7-35. He seemed very impressed at that price point. I’ll say the video looked really damn good considering that it’s an Arken and in my experience, video usually degrades quality. Most impressive imo was the video through the scope at the 1 mile target. Sure peaked my interest.
Anybody that has the word (or haircut) "mullet", I'm immediately disregarding anything they have to say. We have enough inbred trash here in America, the last thing I'm going to do is listen to some Gen Z fucktard with a mullet, a rapestache, and Pit Viper sunglasses who pounds Natty Light and thinks its real beer...

I'm curious to hear if anyone here in the States has one of the Gen2 models and can post pics? I'm wondering if we're all getting the same glass, or if they are putting limitations on Arken's products over here, like they are doing with the MPR reticle and not allowing it to be sold in the US...

I’m a poor that’s spending all my money into a yard etc right now. I’m looking for cheap and good.

A couple years back a friend suggested a budget longish range optic. It was pretty dang decent until lighting got a bit dim etc, and I couldn’t find my fucking reticle. Im
By no means experienced in high dollar optics, but I’m sure this wouldn’t have been an issue with something of higher quality. I also looked through a “just as good” scope recently and was terribly unimpressed with it. Different strokes for different folks I imagine.
One might be surprised some of the things you will notice when you get a nice stable full of different brand and model top-tier scopes... Not all is worth its MSRP.

My Nightforce ATACR F1 5-25x56 MIL-XT is a great scope, but the glass is sub-par for its price, and the internal FOV of the scope is so constricted it's like looking through a black paper towel roll. Now, I got it at an awesome price, so for what I paid for it, yeah, it's nice, but it's not $3,100 nice. I'd say closer to $2,500 range competitive.

Reactions: Abey669
I will repeat once again..
The Arkens I have do not exceed the optical quality of some of the Alpha scopes I have.....BUT they are closer than many are giving them credit for.

The 2 S&B s I own with the WORST glass in the S&B range are the 5-20 Ultrashort and the 3-27 High Power.
The Arkens exceed optically these 2 scopes..fact.
These 2 S&B ,a here in Aus are $8k and $11k respectively..

The 2 best Optics i have are the S&B 10-60 and the TT 5-25.
The Arkens in no way equal or exceed these optically.

Down from these in rank ( optically) the ZCO 5-27 and ATACR 7-35 .
The Arkens are somewhere in between the ATACR and the ZCO.

Durability....so far....they have been flawless.....but time will tell.

But.....I have had a large percentage of " " Alpha" optics fail within a very short time I'm use....particularly on the 50bmg.

Credit were credit is due.....so far the Arkens are performing way above their price tag....

This thread reminds me of certain members who hailed the mighty EP5. Then 5 months later hailed the mighty Burris as the latest/greatest.

I say we give it some time. Revisit this thread in a few years and see where we’re at then.

So far every thread of the latest and greatest that has been out for a while has another thread crapping all over the same optic

Alpha glass give or take a few lemons has been alpha for longer than some of these companies like Arken have been alive

I’ve owned many budget and alpha optics. I have yet to come across that $500-$800 optic that is touted as a $3000 optic killer actually stack up and make it long enough in the market to steal those contracts or dominate the alpha game

Most times we see it for a while. Then the newest $3000 optic killer comes out. We spill our koolaid and grab the other cup

Not saying a $500 optic isn’t great. But great for the price and true alpha optic with a track record are very different things
It’s always the same song and dance.

I remember back in 2019 the sponsored comp shooters were coming on here and saying that the gen II razor was “just as good” as the PMII (they aren’t).

In broad daylight on a sunny day with good lighting conditions you aren’t going to see much of a difference.

The second you have a less than desirable lighting condition and a target that blends well into the background, that is when you see the difference.
The difference is so much so that depending on the light and your target, better optics can literally see things that lesser ones can’t.

This probably won’t affect most people, it all just depends on your operating environment.
Most people going long range shooting are only going on a good day to maximize success, those good days aren’t going to be where the best of the best shines the most though.

Reactions: diggler1833 and BCP

I remember back in 2019 the sponsored comp shooters were coming on here and saying that the gen II razor was “just as good” as the PMII (they aren’t).

In broad daylight on a sunny day with good lighting conditions you aren’t going to see much of a difference.

The second you have a less than desirable lighting condition and a target that blends well into the background, that is when you see the difference.
The difference is so much so that depending on the light and your target, better optics can literally see things that lesser ones can’t.

This probably won’t affect most people, it all just depends on your operating environment.
Most people going long range shooting are only going on a good day to maximize success, those good days aren’t going to be where the best of the best shines the most though.
I posted my test on the first page here I believe. In daylight the EP5 next to a NF or ZCO isn’t a blowout. But loose the light and optics start to separate for sure

Reactions: FuhQ
I have never owned an Arken but have owned other budget optics. In my experience when it comes to optics you really do get what you paid for and sure at some point there’s diminished returns.

As soon as someone throws the good ol’ “for the money” or “at the price point” around I already know the shit is subpar with higher end optics.

I also watched the guns, mullets, merica video today and typically I enjoy the content but he also offers an Arken discount code at the end so bias is inevitable.

Reactions: GhostFace
Would be cool to see test results like below. Compared against each other. Adding Arken, Athlon, Burris and a few others that have come along recently compared to each other

Hunting in dense woods is one thing, but this isn't exactly a hunting forum. Most people here seem to be doing target shooting and competitions as primary, hunting as secondary. Most matches i've been to end around 3-4 pm. Plenty of light.

That problem will not affect most here as most shooting in matches or for fun will not be shooting in lowlight as I said earlier in this post. It's again being used as a negative that most won't see to talk down the scope. Why should people worry about something that they aren't going to use? Like someone saying I am not going to buy that Honda Civic which is affordable, gets great gas mileage and will get me to work and back reliably because it won't do zero to 60 in 1.5 seconds. LOL

I actually just ordered a 7-35 to see for myself. Guess I will see when it gets here.

I will repeat once again..
The Arkens I have do not exceed the optical quality of some of the Alpha scopes I have.....BUT they are closer than many are giving them credit for.

The 2 S&B s I own with the WORST glass in the S&B range are the 5-20 Ultrashort and the 3-27 High Power.
The Arkens exceed optically these 2 scopes..fact.
These 2 S&B ,a here in Aus are $8k and $11k respectively..

The 2 best Optics i have are the S&B 10-60 and the TT 5-25.
The Arkens in no way equal or exceed these optically.

Down from these in rank ( optically) the ZCO 5-27 and ATACR 7-35 .
The Arkens are somewhere in between the ATACR and the ZCO.

Durability....so far....they have been flawless.....but time will tell.

But.....I have had a large percentage of " " Alpha" optics fail within a very short time I'm use....particularly on the 50bmg.

Credit were credit is due.....so far the Arkens are performing way above their price tag....
I’d love to see how the Arken holds up to 50bmg

I wanna say it’s all Japanese on this optic
No, they’re still all made in China to my knowledge, but the EP series scopes have Japanese “ED” glass…Supposedly. But keep in mind, just because glass is from Japan, doesn’t always mean it’s top tier…I’m sure they make their fair share of lower quality glass, just like everyone else.

That problem will not affect most here as most shooting in matches or for fun will not be shooting in lowlight as I said earlier in this post. It's again being used as a negative that most won't see to talk down the scope. Why should people worry about something that they aren't going to use? Like someone saying I am not going to buy that Honda Civic which is affordable, gets great gas mileage and will get me to work and back reliably because it won't do zero to 60 in 1.5 seconds. LOL

I actually just ordered a 7-35 to see for myself. Guess I will see when it gets here.
Please post your thoughts once you have an opportunity to put it through its paces.
I’d never compare the optics to a TT, ZCO etc, but I am curious how it compares to say the Bushy XRS3 and even the MK5HD

Reactions: Rob01 and FuhQ
Anybody that has the word (or haircut) "mullet", I'm immediately disregarding anything they have to say. We have enough inbred trash here in America, the last thing I'm going to do is listen to some Gen Z fucktard with a mullet, a rapestache, and Pit Viper sunglasses who pounds Natty Light and thinks its real beer...

I'm curious to hear if anyone here in the States has one of the Gen2 models and can post pics? I'm wondering if we're all getting the same glass, or if they are putting limitations on Arken's products over here, like they are doing with the MPR reticle and not allowing it to be sold in the US...

My personal feelings on Arken aside..Zack is a hell of a humble nice guy and fantastic shooter. He placed in the top 20 in open at NF this year in my squad having never shot it or a match like it. He's probably one of the more down to earth YouTube personalities I have met in real life. You can disagree with his message but he's literally none of those things. Carry on

No, they’re still all made in China to my knowledge, but the EP series scopes have Japanese “ED” glass…Supposedly. But keep in mind, just because glass is from Japan, doesn’t always mean it’s top tier…I’m sure they make their fair share of lower quality glass, just like everyone else.
Correct. I was referring to his question on the glass.

Don’t watch this then. You’ll likely have a myocardial infarction or an apoplectic fit:

P.S. this show has been featured on ESPN, Sports Illustrated, the big networks, etc. he has done it for years, but the YT account he uses has moved around for some reason. Search for some combo of the words “Minnesota hockey hair high school all stars” and you’ll probably find the vids going way back.

P.P.S. I don’t have hockey hair or a stash. No hairs were hurt during this post.

Last edited:
Don’t watch this then. You’ll likely have a myocardial infarction or an apoplectic fit:

P.S. this show has been featured on ESPN, Sports Illustrated, the big networks, etc. he has done it for years, but the YT account he uses has moved around for some reason. Search for some combo of the words “Minnesota hockey hair high school all stars” and you’ll probably find the vids going way back.

P.P.S. I don’t have hockey hair or a stash. No hairs were hurt during this post.

Thanks for the warning, I definitely won’t watch it. 👍🏼

To each his own. He puts out really good content.

Thanks for the warning, I definitely won’t watch it. 👍🏼
It’s pretty funny…it’s hockey taking an ironic take on its own hair style. “Owning” the hair, so to speak lol

1725382645772.png

One of my favs, “The Dual Exhaust” haha

To each his own. He puts out really good content.
He might, and he might be a really cool guy, and very knowledgeable… But you have to understand that growing up poor in the South in the 80’s and 90’s, is why I can’t take anyone with a mullet serious. You’d just have had to been there. They were typically the uneducated, the trash, the alcoholics, the wife beaters, the true scumbags of society.

I know that it’s all the rage with the GenZ kids, but nobody ever really accused them of being the smartest generation either…They can’t even figure out what gender they are from all the brainwashing they’ve endured, and they believe anything anyone tells them on the basis of “Trust me bro…”, without fact checking, despite having a laptop in their pockets. Their whole life has been an unfortunate rerun, and they don’t even know it.

He might, and he might be a really cool guy, and very knowledgeable… But you have to understand that growing up poor in the South in the 80’s and 90’s, is why I can’t take anyone with a mullet serious. You’d just have had to been there. They were typically the uneducated, the trash, the alcoholics, the wife beaters, the true scumbags of society.

I know that it’s all the rage with the GenZ kids, but nobody ever really accused them of being the smartest generation either…They can’t even figure out what gender they are from all the brainwashing they’ve endured, and they believe anything anyone tells them on the basis of “Trust me bro…”, without fact checking, despite having a laptop in their pockets. Their whole life has been an unfortunate rerun, and they don’t even know it.
I can’t stand the hair shit either. Believe you me.

I can definitely say that the Japanese glass Arken uses is better after owning the SH4 with both Chinese and Japanese glass. The Chinese glass suffers in low light conditions where the Japanese glass better. Neither are as good as my older Bushnell Elite 6-24 scope.

I also own a Swampfox Optics Patriot 6-24 scope. The Patriot is better than the SH4 but not as good as the SH4J. All three are low budget and I never expected them to compete with a high end scope. All three suits my needs for shooting 22lr out to 300 yards.

To each their own, go with what you can afford.

This guys videos are actually pretty good and informative

My curiosity got the best of me…

Scope arrived today. Even at just over half of MSRP my initial impressions are not favorable. Reserving judgement till I have some time with it.

View attachment 8500301

View attachment 8500302
I ordered one too but they are saying 6-8 weeks. It will be going on my shirt vudoo so not really looking for anything too great. As long as the mechanicals are good.

Reactions: 0724/1030
My sample size of 1:

Turret feel is poor with a fair amount of circular play in the caps. Eye box is tight and the glass is very uninspiring. The Bushnell Elite Tactical 6-24 on my daughter’s 452 is noticeably better in nearly all aspects.

As long as it tracks and holds zero I’ll call it good enough for its intended purpose.

Looking forward to your thoughts when you get yours.

Reactions: Rob01
My sample size of 1:

Turret feel is poor with a fair amount of circular play in the caps. Eye box is tight and the glass is very uninspiring. The Bushnell Elite Tactical 6-24 on my daughter’s 452 is noticeably better in nearly all aspects.

As long as it tracks and holds zero I’ll call it good enough for its intended purpose.

Looking forward to your thoughts when you get yours
Was the Bushnell 599.00?

My sample size of 1:

Thanks. Yeah I plan to put it next to the Bushnell Match Pro ED and the Arken SH4 I have to give me an idea. I figured it will be a good back up for something that doesn't have a scope at the very least but we will see how I like it. Will let everyone know when it gets here. Hopefully Cameraland gets their delivery next week.

My sample size of 1:

You mean the glass doesn’t look like this at 1200yds
IMG_7197.jpeg

My sample size of 1:

Would love to compare the Aus version to the US version to see if in actual fact there are differences!!......apart from the reticle..

Sounds like a ........." It's to good to be true" ...... deal
Sounds that way on both ends, because the US versions glass is nowhere near that good. You would get a chance to see the shit they sell us, versus the quality glass you got, if it really is that clear. LOL

I'm not doubting you, but maybe this will shed some light on why all the hate and doubts... It's hard to imagine them being that clear and nice of glass, if you've experienced the US versions... That's why everyone is shitting on the Arkens and calling bullshit on your photos. I have some early SH4 Gen2 scopes and they have glass that is as good, or better than the 2 EP5's that I owned. The EP5's I had were "meh" at best, and the EPL4 that I'm stuck with is a pile of shit that I'll probably end up having to give away just to get it out of the spare parts bin...

That's why I said, if the Aussie versions of the EP5 Gen2 are that nice and clear, and they offer that really nice new reticle, I'd be all about getting you to order one while they're on sale, and then just PayPal you the cash of the scope + shipping fees, and having you ship it straight to me so I can evaluate it myself and verify.

Reactions: JS8588
This is sounding familiar...
We get the S&B ,s without the field stop that the US version have to restrict FOV ..
As it turns out there are "other" differences as well!.

My S&B 6-36 s and 10-60,s are due back from repair in Germany within the next week.

I am also getting 2 of the Arken/DNT 7-35,s.
Will put the Existing Arkens with the Comming Arken/DNT and see how they fare.
Will also put them against the S&B 6-36,s and 10'60,s just as an interest point.

Still might organise to get one of the Existing Arkens to you .....almost worth it for the curiosity factor!

Credit to Arken for quick communication.

I first inquired as too any physical, mechanical, or material differences between the US and AUS EP-5 7-35 and received the following reply.

1726238680912.png

I then asked for clarification on if the material differences mentioned were between Arken US and Arken AUS scopes or if that statement was in reference to competitor offerings.

1726239117180.jpeg

Honestly, not the answer I had expected. After this exchange, I’m having a very difficult time reconciling what has been articulated in this thread.