• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

moa vs mils, the forbidden thread

Using your reticle vs your natural inclination as a human is moronic.

It assumes you have matching reticles and leaves you untrained to handle a situation without. Using linear allows shooter and spotter to ensure the correction is right adding redundancy.
Shouldn’t you have similar rifles or be able to communicate in the same distance method? I’ve never heard anyone not say adjust 1 mil left or even just hold left edge I guess.

Really? 🤔

So to know how many Milliradians I need to correct for then I need to know the distance?
I don’t think that’s what he’s saying, I do understand how even using MOA or MILs becomes irrelevant with matching turrets and a dope card. At some point it does just become dots and a ballistic calc telling you how many reticle notches to hold so from a practical point of view I get what they are saying. I didn’t intend to have people actually start discussing MOA/MILs just needed some advice on a weird scope thing..

You guys can use whatever you want individually …unless or as long as it’s communicated to your team if you need to do such things.

Reactions: Makinchips208
The .36 part mystifies me… I’m mystified!

Most mil scopes use .1

for both 1 moa and 1 mil the distance you are at changes the amount of distance that measurement is.

At 500 yards

1mil = 3.6inches x 5 = 18.0 inches

1moa = 1 inch x 5 = 5inches

Crazy. They both needed distance to measure.

for both 1 moa and 1 mil the distance you are at changes the amount of distance that measurement is.

At 500 yards

1mil = 3.6inches x 5 = 18.0 inches

1moa = 1 inch x 5 = 5inches

Crazy. They both needed distance to measure.
No the distance doesn’t change the measurement of 1 moa or 1 mil. They are measurements of angle.
Angles know no distance! It’s an angle.
1 degree is 1 degree. Right?
I radian is 1 radian. Right?
Both are angles. Right?
Don’t mix linear and angular.

The reticle measurement gives you a measurement of ANGLE. Simple.

No the distance doesn’t change the measurement of 1 moa or 1 mil. They are measurements of angle.
Both are angles. Right?

You just argued against yourself and the point I’ve been making to you this whole time. Moa and mil are both angular. Both have distance components.

You tried to make it seem like moa was unique to mil in that respect. You now pointed out it’s not. Thanks.

IMG_6806.jpeg

But then you said “ Angles know no distance! It’s an angle.”

This whole time I’ve pointing out you’re not even argueing anything. Do you need a hotline number or something? Are you okay?

You just argued against yourself and the point I’ve been making to you this whole time. Moa and mil are both angular. Both have distance components.

You tried to make it seem like moa was unique to mil in that respect. You now pointed out it’s not. Thanks.

View attachment 8473904
But then you said “ Angles know no distance! It’s an angle.”

This whole time I’ve pointing out you’re not even argueing anything. Do you need a hotline number or something? Are you okay?
Haha! That first one was a joke, as this thread is full of the usual gooberish.

What is the .36? Demystify me. Cause that’s the biggest nonsense in this whole thread.

Both are angles. Right?

Exactly. For the life of me, I don’t know why this is so hard to understand….

I don't know a lot but here is what I know. I like MOA and my optics are MOA.

Mils is also good. In fact, somefind it easier to range in reticle or hold over because it is in base 10 without out actually being metric. However, if you are at a metric range, your math may be easier.

I have heard that Mil is easier for target acquisition and holdover.

But it is only an measurement of angle and not actual metric distance.

I have also heard that MOA is a finer or smaller amount of adjustment.

I also know that people talk about a 1 MOA gun, regardless of the denomination of the scope.

There, I think I have muddied the waters enough to make me happy.

You do it the same way. You use the reticle like a ruler and hold or dial a correction. It's the same as mils but a different number.
Or you use the target.
If my spotter is spotting with a MIL reticle and I am shooting a MOA scope (or vice versa or whatever) you simply call shot according to target size.
"Miss, left half a target"

Reactions: smoothy8500
I don’t and was using that as an example I would treat someone calling left 1/2 target the exact same way. Does me absolutely no good, I still have to process target size to mils to adjust the scope unless I do hold overs😖
EXACTLY...it's simple, you look at that target with your ruler and you hold or dial accordingly. Now, if you and your spotter are both using the same scale, then I can see being a little peeved that they aren't calling the measurement but using the target as the scale is universal.

Reactions: Maurygold
Or you use the target.
If my spotter is spotting with a MIL reticle and I am shooting a MOA scope (or vice versa or whatever) you simply call shot according to target size.
"Miss, left half a target"

Can just use .35 moa per .1 mil also. Pretty fast in the head when practiced. Missed a mil left then correct 3.5 moa right. I have done it a bunch spotting for moa guys. Target thing works ok if close enough and not needing wind and elevation adjustments.

Reactions: Aftermath
Can just use .35 moa per .1 mil also. Pretty fast in the head when practiced. Missed a mil left then correct 3.5 moa right. I have done it a bunch spotting for moa guys. Target thing works ok if close enough and not needing wind and elevation adjustments.

Or you use simple math because moa doesn’t need a .36 multiple :)

That really came full circle

Sure...but then you, the spotter, is doing mental math and the shooter has to have confidence in your mental gymnastics. If you call the target, the onus is on the shooter.

I'd say calling the impact is allowing for that current wind and elevation.

Let's say a call was "5:30, 2 targets"

How would you adjust your next shot? Windage AND elevation?

Reactions: Maurygold
My scope reticle is marked in phlibits. On this target, I just dialed 1.0 phlibit up and .5 phlibit left and the next shot was dead center.

I can't find the conversion of phlibits to inches, but, to be honest, it seems fucking stupid to convert angular to linear anyway when the scope tells me exactly what to dial....
Reticle.jpg

No you are trying to use some linear. I am keeping is angular. That .36 is only at 100 yards. You aren’t as smart as you think you are and it shows.

Targets off is linear. You just agreed it was acceptable - okay thanks. However you can’t do math well enough to use it at distance - thanks for admitting.

If you used moa you’d realize it’s an easier system because (as you noted) you have to include distance in angular measurements.

You keep trying to blatantly misinterpret what I’m saying and call me dumb. It’s really funny

• Haha
Reactions: Rob01
Sure...but then you, the spotter, is doing mental math and the shooter has to have confidence in your mental gymnastics. If you call the target, the onus is on the shooter.

I'd say calling the impact is allowing for that current wind and elevation.

Let's say a call was "5:30, 2 targets"

How would you adjust your next shot? Windage AND elevation?
But it’s not hard to do and the target is actually harder if he is not just off the edge of it. If he is a good deal off the mil to moa is much easier and faster. If you were doing it a lot having a cheat sheet is even easier but if you do it the mental math is not hard at all as you learn what it is. Also luckily we don’t have to do it much anymore.

Targets off is linear. You just agreed it was acceptable - okay thanks. However you can’t do math well enough to use it at distance - thanks for admitting.

If you used moa you’d realize it’s an easier system because (as you noted) you have to include distance in angular measurements.

You keep trying to blatantly misinterpret what I’m saying and call me dumb. It’s really funny

No you are that dumb. Been doing this over thirty years and have used moa/mil, moa/moa and mil/mil scopes and know how to use them all and never use a linear with any of them. You obviously think the .35 is some linear. It’s not. But you keep thinking you’re smart. Lol

• Love
Reactions: Criver600
No you are that dumb. Been doing this over thirty years and have used moa/mil, moa/moa and mil/mil scopes and know how to use them all and never use a linear with any of them. You obviously think the .35 is some linear. It’s not. But you keep thinking you’re smart. Lol

Then why arent you any better at the math? I clearly explained you need to multiply the .36 by distance as its angular like 10 times and even did the math above.

Again calling me dumb and blatantly misinterpreting like 10 messages I’ve put in here.

• Wow
Reactions: Steel+Killer
My scope reticle is marked in phlibits. On this target, I just dialed 1.0 phlibit up and .5 phlibit left and the next shot was dead center.

I can't find the conversion of phlibits to inches, but, to be honest, it seems fucking stupid to convert angular to linear anyway when the scope tells me exactly what to dial....
View attachment 8473956
Skoash. One skoash is equal to 1 phlibit at 113 yards. There is no known formula to convert to inches.

😆

Then why are you so blatantly wrong? And incapable at simple ballistic math?
Lol I’m not wrong. I am sure that write up has all sorts of linear to angular as most do to confuse new shooters more and it says 1 mil is 3.6” at 100 somewhere. Even you can do the math where you got the .36 in your original posts from.

Skoash. One skoash is equal to 1 phlibit at 113 yards. There is no known formula to convert to inches.

😆
Dang, you're right! I remember my dad using "skoash" as a unit of measurement when I was a kid back in the '50s and 60s! But he was working in the confines of his woodworking shop and I guess the pieces were too small to use phlibits...

@Rob01

Explain this. At 700 yards it calls for 4mil drop with 101 inches.

7 x 3.6 = 25.2 / mil x 4mil = 100.8 inches

View attachment 8473991

If you need me to explain that to you then you are making me sadder as you aren’t making the point you think you are.

Ok I am going to bed. You keep posting your linear messes. Lol

If you need me to explain that to you then you are making me sadder as you aren’t making the point you think you are.

Ok I am going to bed. You keep posting your linear messes. Lol

Just pm me for invoice. Your dept can send a check for the training since you don’t know a damn thing about shooting after an alleged 30 years.

• Haha
Reactions: Rob01
Just pm me for invoice. Your dept can send a check for the training since you don’t know a damn thing about shooting after an alleged 30 years.

Says the guy talking in linear. Lol Dude you crack me up and no I never want you to spot for me ever! Maybe if you do it a little longer you will learn too.