moa vs mils, the forbidden thread

Nope. I call the miss by targets off and direction then supply the correction in mils/ moa.

I absolutely explain and teach new shooters how the angular change effects the linear though because that makes sense to lay people and whole inches are easier to grasp.

People are acting like even attempting to correlate angular to linear is impossible and it’s clear as shit not.

People just wanted to misinterpret and get up in arms when they saw someone prefer moa.
i mean it works, a lot of extra steps may need to be used, do you see how we are doing it too tho? We see splash left of target we see it’s 2.5 left on the reticle we instantly adjust 2.5 we do zero math, zero guess work.

What is the mark of red ano on a firearm???

View attachment 8476950
That fellow took a very old picture. This is what that rifle looks like now. Its kind of a work in progress but its getting close to its finish.

IMG_1399.jpeg

Last edited:
You are good at Trying to make yourself look smart, and you call yourself a teacher. Glad I am not in any class you taught.

If you would have paid any attention you would note that this rifle looks like this now.

View attachment 8476958

Great at “trying” to make people look stupid, but stupid you are

Only you called yourself a teacher - which is weird. Not as weird as red ano - but weird.

It occurred to me we missed discussing Gradians
So....
When you miss your point of aim by 3 inches, you convert that to MOA in your head by multiplying by 3.6 and write that number down. Then you'd convert to GRAD? and then finally MIL so you can figure out the range and then tell the shooter to hold left edge...right?

Reactions: Makinchips208
So....
When you miss your point of aim by 3 inches, you convert that to MOA in your head by multiplying by 3.6 and write that number down. Then you'd convert to GRAD? and then finally MIL so you can figure out the range and then tell the shooter to hold left edge...right?
Don’t forget to run down range with a ruler to measure the miss first. Hate for all that math to go to waste…

So....
I don’t mean to be insulting, but this is planet Earth. Many of us here choose the simpler method which works far better quicker and is less prone to accumulating errors by a factor of at least 10.

We don’t miss by 3 inches, we miss by so many MILS. We tell the shooter to favor (X) mils and not work a mathematical equation worthy of an Oppenheimer or Einstein hypothesis. But hey, if proving the connection between relativity and Quantum Mechanics is your thing while trying to correct a miss, go for it. Let us know how it turns out. However, be quick, some of us only expect to live another 25 to 30 more years.

I don’t mean to be insulting, but this is planet Earth. Many of us here choose the simpler method which works far better quicker and is less prone to accumulating errors by a factor of at least 10.

We don’t miss by 3 inches, we miss by so many MILS. We tell the shooter to favor (X) mils and not work a mathematical equation worthy of an Oppenheimer or Einstein hypothesis. But hey, if proving the connection between relativity and Quantum Mechanics is your thing while trying to correct a miss, go for it. Let us know how it turns out. However, be quick, some of us only expect to live another 25 to 30 more years.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Now getting to the subject at hand (sorta)

Hold left edge right? Or is it left? Being an old mortar man, I understand bracketing. I’ve used it many a day in handgun silhouette when bullets just weren’t landing where they were supposed to. Works great when zeroing on the NVA, not so much when trying to salvage a round. At least for me, but it got me on target, after wasting at least two of five shots allocated for that round. Spotting a miss and then using those funny little Christmas Tree lines inside my scope to make a correction works far better.
Christmas tree reticle? So you hold 3 jingle bells left for every 5 mph of wind?

• Haha
Reactions: jabonra
Christmas tree reticle? So you hold 3 jingle bells left for every 5 mph of wind?
WRONG! I already changed the post. Don’t want to get to complicated you know.

However, speaking of jingle bells, you must be a .308 man. Us 6GT men only need 2 1/2 jingle bells for five mph. However, if the wind gets to 10 mph, then we increase to say 4.3 jingle bells. Darned hard to get those .3 jingle bells to ring.

Think I ought to copy what you copied and then copy it back into the original post since you already copied it and we don’t want anyone else to copy my post thinking they copied what is in yoru post but they copied my revised post so that the copy of my post no longer copies correctly? Do you copy?

• Haha

IMG_6336.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: Aftermath
If I thought it was serious, do you think I would have loaded it with sarcasm? But Frankly considering some of the folks I run into on other forums, they actually ask questions far less realistic than this, ask them seriously. I wonder if they aren’t rejects from other planets.

So....
I think this seems like the most mathematically pure way to get a quick measurement for a precise correction.

When the EMP strike happens, and my MRAD scope goes down, this is how I will make my corrections.

View attachment 8485092

-Stan
Emp takes out etched glass? News to me.
glass-etched-illuminated-reticle.jpg

I guess all of the frosted glass will go clear as well.
image1-10.jpg

Some of you might have to be careful taking a shower. Your wives might get freaked out.

• Haha
FACT: Mils can also just be thought of as 1/3 MOA clicks if you are an MOA guy.
FACT: Mathematically, 0.1 mils is closer to 1/3 MOA than 1/4 MOA is to a quarter of an inch.

I am a simple minded American shooter so I prefer yards and mils. I'm an American, so think in yards, not meters. In the dark, if I want to dial 2.50 mils, that is 25 clicks... just move the decimal... easy. If I need 7.75 MOA, that is.... MATH I DONT WANT TO DO IN MY HEAD while under stress... but 31 clicks. Yeah. Screw that. Mils is way easier.

FACT: Mathematically, 0.1 mils is closer to 1/3 MOA than 1/4 MOA is to a quarter of an inch.

I am a simple minded American shooter so I prefer yards and mils. I'm an American, so think in yards, not meters. In the dark, if I want to dial 2.50 mils, that is 25 clicks... just move the decimal... easy. If I need 7.75 MOA, that is.... MATH I DONT WANT TO DO IN MY HEAD while under stress... but 31 clicks. Yeah. Screw that. Mils is way easier.

IMG_2428.jpeg

Yeah but how does that convert to 1/3 GRAD?

So we are back to liking MOA again?

@TheHorta better come looksy
Only by some. The educated still just the old system.
Joe Bob,... how far off was I ?
Jimmy Joe,... 2 blue cunt hairs to the right & a single green low.
Joe Bob,... bang. How about now?
Jimmy Joe,... better check your rings & mount, now you're one small titty high left.

• Haha
Reactions: roostercogburn98
Only by some. The educated still just the old system.
Joe Bob,... how far off was I ?
Jimmy Joe,... 2 blue cunt hairs to the right & a single green low.
Joe Bob,... bang. How about now?
Jimmy Joe,... better check your rings & mount, now you're one small titty high left.
Cunt hairs are like second nature to this knuckle dragger