• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

moa vs mils, the forbidden thread

Lowlight and ChrisWay have both written articles on this subject.

Lowlight's from 2020

Chris way's from this year.

Not your fault. This happens basically every single time this topic comes up. It's normal. Hopefully we can help people learn the truth over time.
I made the post and still don’t understand what’s happening anymore. .36. Squirrel balls. American minutes versus the birth of the SI system.

Ahhhhhhhh

I made the post and still don’t understand what’s happening anymore. .36. Squirrel balls. American minutes versus the birth of the SI system.

Ahhhhhhhh
And now you see why you don’t make moa vs mil threads 😁👍

I made it til @marrymygonads pulled his tape measure out to call on my target then I put the thread on ignore. So zero idea what’s happened in the last 3 pages. But I assume more of the same that it usually turns into until it’s deleted

Last edited:
This thread is everything I hoped it would be.

1722977592780.png

I was introduced to the legendary thread. I recognize many of the names in there. Some of you have been professionally trolling dudes on the Hide for going on near a decade in some cases. I’m genuinely super impressed.

I was introduced to the legendary thread. I recognize many of the names in there. Some of you have been professionally trolling dudes on the Hide for going on near a decade in some cases. I’m genuinely super impressed.
According to the PRS bylaws, if you don’t make enough to pay the bills, your not a professional.

Please kindly refrain from using such language in the future sir.

A radian is the measure of the radius of a circle extended along as an arc on the circles circumference. There are 2π radians in a circle. π is an irrational number, one that cannot be written as a ratio such as 1:2 or 1/2. An irrational number is one that has never been found to repeat.

@Makinchips208 has the grasp.

However, I do think those differing uses of a MIL are restricted to land navigation (compass headings) and artillery units but I could be wrong. I have never actually seen a Soviet rifle scope reticle nor a Swedish one.
22/7 for the rational win........checkmate bitches!!!

• Haha
Reactions: Aftermath
Truly.
Honestly.
I don't really give a single fuck whether you use MOA, MIL, IPHY, or anything else. For myself, most of my scopes are MOA and SFP because when I started buying shit about 45 years ago, that was what was around and that was what was state of the art. Quite some time ago, I had a Shepherd scope that was IPHY and it had an interesting dual reticle. I really liked that scope and wish it had not been stolen from me along with some SnapOn tools. I have several MIL scopes and I like them just fine. I have qutie a few NF scopes, several Swarovski scopes, several Leupold, maybe 3 or 4 Burris, a couple of Nikons, 2 or 3 Trijicons, a couple of old Weavers, maybe 5 Bushnells...and I am sure you get the idea. Some of the stuff I have is true vintage and I am not likely to get rid of it because nobody wants it so it won't sell and I'll be damned if I am going to toss it in the trash. It fucking works and if it's what I have, I will use it.

I don't give a shit if you are ignorant of the systems and how to use them. You are ignorant, meaning uninformed...you just don't know. You should try to learn and ask why. When a guy is unable to grasp a concept, he is no longer ignorant and may have some sort of learning disability and I can deal with that if he can accept it, too.

What I do give a shit about is some guy that has the capacity to learn but even after being shown over and over and in several ways what is up but insists upon arguing for whatever reason. That is willful stupidity. That dude is a dipshit.

Last edited:
This thread is like an argument at a Thanksgiving in Ohio — someone always has to have the last word, which causes someone else to need to have the last word, and nobody ever leaves, and the best that can be hoped for is the argument is postponed until the Christmas get-together.

-Stan

This thread is like an argument at a Thanksgiving in Ohio — someone always has to have the last word, which causes someone else to need to have the last word, and nobody ever leaves, and the best that can be hoped for is the argument is postponed until the Christmas get-together.

-Stan
If it makes Christmas, it is destined to be near the top of the legendary thread list.

Read the Chris Way article above and then come back.

Also can you hold less than 0.110" at all ranges?
TRANSLATED for the dipshits: ranges in this instance is NOT a place you go shoot your rifle. In this use @LeftyJason means differing yardages (if you use MOA) you are from the target. Or, if you use the MIL, differing meters from the target.

/s

Hi 308: haven't from you in a while, have trouble with your ass?
Mouthbreathers very good what do you breath shit.
Your absolutely right about fractions but that has nothing to do with the issue normal people are discussing.
Let me explain something to you although I think it is useless. We are discussing two different forms of measurement and how they relate to each other. Now are you finished chiming in.
Go home. You're drunk.

He said to ponder his username.

One could guess, maybe he has a degree, maybe he was a certified math teacher, might have had a career in math, maybe he just loves math?

Like my username, I’m from the 208 and I’m just makin chips.
And since you are from the 208 and just makin chips.....
And since Idaho is the potato state....
You are making tater chips.

Am I right or am I right or am I right?:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Because there aren't any other kinda chips.

Oh, and my username? Yeah....I don't have to do much math for a living anymore. Nowadays I have young engineers figuring shit out for me and if it makes sense, as in common sense, as in reasonable, I usually just go with it. I have forgotten much of what was once an every day use. However, it does come right back to me once I have a need. BS, MS on the resume.

Last edited:
NO, NO, NO,,,,I worked with people with mental retardation all my life. Even the ones who are Profoundly MR (IQ scores 0 to 15) are too smart to try to figure inches when correcting their shooting. They know, ANGLES, not inches. (Besides, everyone with an IQ above a mentally retarded rock, knows that Minutes of Angle is NOT inches.).

It’s ANGLES not numbers.

And since you are from the 208 and just makin chips.....
And since Idaho is the potato state....
You are making tater chips.

Am I right or am I right or am I right?:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Because there aren't any other kinda chips.

Oh, and my username? Yeah....I don't have to do much math for a living anymore. Nowadays I have young engineers figuring shit out for me and if it makes sense, as in common sense, as in reasonable, I usually just go with it. I have forgotten much of what was once an every day use. However, it does come right back to me once I have a need. BS, MS on the resume.
My first name is tater. 😆

• Haha
Interesting visualization I realized yesterday.

1 mil @ 100 yards (3600 inches) = 3.6 inches.
1 mil @ 3.6 inches (2 reams of 20lb copy paper) = 1 piece of 20lb copy paper 0.0036"

So a mil of a mil is 1 piece of paper.

• Haha
Reactions: Milf Dots
The only time I use inches is for wind hold with a reticle that has no MOA or Mil graduations on the horizontal crosshair. Dial elevation and hold inches for wind.

This does require you to know roughly your target width in inches. IPSC 18” ave hog head 12” ears to snout. Kestrel can give wind in inches so I use that for plain duplex reticles & red dots.

The only time I use inches is for wind hold with a reticle that has no MOA or Mil graduations on the horizontal crosshair. Dial elevation and hold inches for wind.

This does require you to know roughly your target width in inches. IPSC 18” ave hog head 12” ears to snout. Kestrel can give wind in inches so I use that for plain duplex reticles & red dots.
I would like to refer you to page 2…. 🤓

^ This is intriguing.

I tried to get my wife to hold a few inches last night, roughly from a point in my center waist - halfway to my knee. Apparently she still hasn't recovered from that bad headache of 2022.