• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

moa vs mils, the forbidden thread

Beg to differ Mils, associated with radians are used in metric calculations

IMG_2220.gif

@Maurygold If you are spotting for someone and you see through your scope using the reticle their POI is 1 MOA high and 2 MOA to the right you convert that back to whatever the linear equivalent is for whatever the given range is instead of just saying you are 1 MOA high and 2 MOA to the right?

I’m not trying to get you in any kind of gotcha scenario. I am truly curious as to what your answer would be.

That would be true for any mil/ mil or moa/moa setup so that’s not relevant since they’re identical in that respect.

I’m just saying I call the shot placement before a correction - you guys are twisting that. I call all corrections in mil/moa.

So therefore when are we stoping to describe misses? With new shooters (like I said and op is) because they are whole numbers.

If anyone thinks one is significantly or even marginally better than the other then you need help.
It's pretty clear that you think MOA is inches, it's not.

Instead of translating to inches you should simply be multiplying your mil correction by 3.438 to get your MOA correction.

Like this.....
You look in the spotter and see they hit 1.5 MILs to the right using your TMR reticle.
Instead of converting MILs to inches and then converting inches to MOA, you should just 1.5 x 3.438 = 5.157 MOA.

The better option is to get rid of your MOA scope and get one in MILs so you can communicate.

I tell ya, I don't get no respect! My wife, she says I'm leaving you for another man.

I tell her that guys a fudd, he uses MOA!

She says I use MOA too! This is why I'm leaving, you never see things from my angle.

Women I tell ya, give em an inch they'll take 10 mils @ 100 yards

Attachments

• maxresdefault-335892106.jpg
    maxresdefault-335892106.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
moving my scope 1 moa left at 800 yards will or will not cause my impact to shift to the left 8 inches??

In my part of the world it does and always has.

IPHY, yes.
MOA, no.

8.368" Is the correct answer. If your reticle is in MOA, it will have moved your impact 1 MOA, providing the range is correct and you have no further movement due to wind.

In other words, your impact will align with your 1MOA left hash mark.

I'm still trying to figure out why you insist on doing math when it's unnecessary.

IPHY, yes.
MOA, no.

8.368" Is the correct answer. If your reticle is in MOA, it will have moved your impact 1 MOA, providing the range is correct and you have no further movement due to wind.

In other words, your impact will align with your 1MOA left hash mark.

I'm still trying to figure out why you insist on doing math when it's unnecessary.
At this point, I would have to think that he just doesn’t realize he could just look through the reticle see the correction and just call it out.

I got a feeling he doesn’t even realize the reticle matches the turret and you can use it to see the difference.

Reactions: JakeM
1 mil @ 100 yards (3600 inches) = 3.6 inches
1 mil @ 1 inch away =. 001"
1 mil @ 1000 lightlears = 1 lightyear
1 mil @ 1000 squirrel bals = 1 squirrel ball
1 mil @ 1000 philbits = 1 philbit
1 mil @ 1000 skoashs = 1 skoash
1 mil @ 1000 (insert unit) = 1 ( unit)

The only reason why the 3.6" or .36" of .1 Mil seems weird is because people forget that 100 yards = 3,600 inches.

@Maurygold use angular of whatever flavor you want while you are not in touching distance of the target. When you walk down to the target use whatever linear measurement you feel like. I don't suggest using braincells.

If you look up radians you will find they are pare of the SI system this is the metric system a mil is 1/1000 of a radian
Except if it works with all units it is essentially unit less. It works with everything not just metric measurements. Too many people think you have to use metric only with mils. That isn't true.

Here is another.
1 mil @ 1000 furlongs = 1 furlong.

Reactions: Aftermath and 6.5SH
Except if it works with all units it is essentially unit less. It works with everything not just metric measurements. Too many people think you have to use metric only with mils. That isn't true.

Here is another.
1 mil @ 1000 furlongs = 1 furlong.
You can interchange any part of the English or scientific (metric) system just use the proper conversion constants in this case 3.6

You can interchange any part of the English or scientific (metric) system just use the proper conversion constants in this case 3.6
So is a squirrel ball imperial or metric? It also works with possum or opossum balls. Is that imperial or metric?

The lesson is why the heck do you need to convert at all? Use the freaking angular measurement any time you are not in touching range. Doesn't matter what the target is. Cause guess what? Target size is angular as well. Doesn't matter whether the target is a match stick head, ipsc c zone, ipsc c zone turned 90°, truck at 30°, 18 wheeler trailer, tower crane, high heel, computer printer, or a baseball cap. Do they all have linear measurements? Yes but who cares? If you miss if by a 1/2 target you missed by a 1/2 target.

This isn't that complicated.

Angular measurements, regardless of whether they are expressed in radians, degrees, or fractions thereof, are agnostic to unit systems (Imperial or SI).

And before the fucking mouthbreathers chime in, tenths, hundredths, and thousands of something are still fractions (1/10, 1/100, 1/1000}.

Yes. Because he already did the math. Argument totally invalid because an inches to angular was still the basis
Incorrect. The spotter doesn't have to do any math whatsoever. He and I both know I was aiming center mass of that particular target at whatever distance. He sees in his reticle the impact of my shot is 1 unit measurement left and 0.5 unit measurement low of center mass. So the spotter says "up 0.5, right 1." I make that correction either by holdover in my scope reticle, or dial on turrets.

There is no need to math this thing out in inches, centimeters, or furlong. Being off by 0.5 at 100y or 1000y is still a 0.5 correction.

So is a squirrel ball imperial or metric? It also works with possum or opossum balls. Is that imperial or metric?

The lesson is why the heck do you need to convert at all?

This isn't that complicated.

It's neither angular, nor linear. Not metric, not imperial.

It's testicular...

Was the shot off by one or two nuts?

If you look up radians you will find they are pare of the SI system this is the metric system a mil is 1/1000 of a radian

Here is a thread on the subject.

Angular measurements, regardless of whether they are expressed in radians, degrees, or fractions thereof, are agnostic to unit systems (Imperial or SI).

And before the fucking mouthbreathers chime in, tenths, hundredths, and thousands of something are still fractions (1/10, 1/100, 1/1000}.
Hi 308: haven't from you in a while, have trouble with your ass?
Mouthbreathers very good what do you breath shit.
Your absolutely right about fractions but that has nothing to do with the issue normal people are discussing.
Let me explain something to you although I think it is useless. We are discussing two different forms of measurement and how they relate to each other. Now are you finished chiming in.

Here is a thread on the subject.

Very good well said

@Maurygold @cuirc

There have been at least a dozen folks on here trying to point you in the correct direction, showing and explaining the error in your thinking.

At this point, if you still do not understand, you are nothing short of a dipshit.
What credentials do you have to make such a statement about a discussion that it appears you know nothing about I have a good book on Ballistics titled Modern exterior Ballistics by McCoy you should get a copy then talk to me. Ass hole the best you can do is call someone a dipshit pathetic

Woah!!!! That’s a linear measurement. Holy shit!! It is possible

Linear measurements are of course possible, they're just pointless. (and as you noticed, poor approximations) Using the ruler in your scope to call out an adjustment that can be dialed or held is infinitely superior to calling out a correction in inches/centimeters/etc. There's just no reason to do it.

There's no reason for using MOA adjustments. You aren't correcting an inch per MOA, and you shouldn't measure your corrections in inches. When people tell me they prefer MOA, what they're really telling me is that they're using their scope wrong. MOA (or shooter's MOA) made sense "back in the day" when people zeroed their scope and then never dialed.

It's fine for someone using a plex reticle and getting a scope sighted in, but geez. There's no circumstance where MOA is superior to Mils.

If your spotter doesn't have a reticle, calling the hold in targets (assuming it's only a few) isn't that bad, but calling inches? Yikes.

Linear measurements are of course possible, they're just pointless. (and as you noticed, poor approximations) Using the ruler in your scope to call out an adjustment that can be dialed or held is infinitely superior to calling out a correction in inches/centimeters/etc. There's just no reason to do it.

There's no reason for using MOA adjustments. You aren't correcting an inch per MOA, and you shouldn't measure your corrections in inches. When people tell me they prefer MOA, what they're really telling me is that they're using their scope wrong. MOA (or shooter's MOA) made sense "back in the day" when people zeroed their scope and then never dialed.

It's fine for someone using a plex reticle and getting a scope sighted in, but geez. There's no circumstance where MOA is superior to Mils.

If your spotter doesn't have a reticle, calling the hold in targets (assuming it's only a few) isn't that bad, but calling inches? Yikes.
Where did you come from and what are you talking about do you know anything about ballistics and measurements

What credentials do you have to make such a statement about a discussion that it appears you know nothing about I have a good book on Ballistics titled Modern exterior Ballistics by McCoy you should get a copy then talk to me. Ass hole the best you can do is call someone a dipshit pathetic
He said to ponder his username.

One could guess, maybe he has a degree, maybe he was a certified math teacher, might have had a career in math, maybe he just loves math?

Like my username, I’m from the 208 and I’m just makin chips.

• Haha
Reactions: Aftermath and cuirc
True Milliradian is rounded to 6,283.185307179586…../circle

I might have these labels incorrect, but I believe it to be.

NATO 6,400/circle
Warsaw pact (USSR) 6,000/circle
Swedish 6,300/circle

I would guess that all modern riflescopes in the US market are based on true Milliradians.
One time, at PRS Camp, I received corrections from my Soviet Spotter, Swedish Spotter, and British Spotter, and they were all different. I didn’t know what to do!

-Stan

Only Americans insist to equate MOA to inches. It is on here today, an American site, by American posters, that I first read of "shooter's MOA".

Bisley shooters have been adjusting sights in "minutes" "halves" and "quarters" long before Americans started using mills on scopes. Why mills are the gold standard these days I have no idea. Maybe it is because Americans just can't get the idea that MOA is not inches.

MOA is an angular measurement, just like mills. Use one or the other. Doesn't matter, just don't mix them.

Reactions: cuirc