Rifle Scopes Not just another " which is best thread" USO/Premi

KeithR41

Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Jul 20, 2009
    Oregon
    Regretably, I've sold my .338 Edge. I sold it to fund an optics purchase. I have wanted a USO since Kimo let me shoot one of his last year and I've got several quotes from Jason on different configurations of the SN-3 TPAL.

However, for some reason, I feel drawn to the Premier although I've never seen one in person (might even be a little cheaper.)

Can anyone provide a compelling reason for one over the other?

Thanks, KeithR41

Re: Not just another " which is best thread" USO/Premi

Premier generally has the edge in glass, where the USO is more configurable.

The USO will be slightly cheaper usually too.

Either will be a perfect choice, your splitting hairs tbh.

Chris

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Crnkin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
    Either will be a perfect choice, your splitting hairs tbh.

Chris </div></div>

+1, both a fine optics. Personally I like Premier but USO makes an excellent product also.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: epaultmbt</div><div class="ubbcode-body">USO can be had with a Horus ret. That was enough for me to pic USO. </div></div>

Not to highjack thread, but we also offer Horus reticles.

Either scope will do a good job, just depends on which one fits your needs better. You really can't go wrong with either.

Paul

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KeithR41</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Paul, can I assume by "we" you mean Premier?

Keith</div></div>

Yes, Paul is the QC guy at Premier.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jeffvn</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you are looking for an MOA-based reticle, then you are looking at USO, unless you want an MOA-based mildot.

JeffVN </div></div>
    Premier does offer an MOA reticle now, see this thread for details.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KeithR41</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Paul, can I assume by "we" you mean Premier?

Keith </div></div>

Yes, I'm sorry about that. Premier.
    Thanks,
    Paul

Edit, Sorry Jason, didn't see you put that up there.

I'm not. After receiving my updated quote from USO I'm leaning more toward Premier. Plus, I won't have to wait 10 weeks.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jeffvn</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you are looking for an MOA-based reticle, then you are looking at USO, unless you want an MOA-based mildot.

JeffVN </div></div>

I'm not. And after receiving my updated quote from USO I'm leaning heavily toward the Premier. Plus I wouldn't have to wait 10 weeks.

What's everybody's opinion on the single turn vs. double turn turrets?

KeithR41

I hated the single turn turrets. The click spacing was WAY too close together. The optical quality on the Premier was very good though.

However, 2 shooting buddies and I had repeated troubles with tracking and turret issues. Premier always made it right, but having problems sucks.

I'd say go USO.

JeffVN </div></div>

Hi Jeff,
    Premier will have a MOA RET out really soon so they can do MOA on MOA.

Mike @ CST

Thanks Mike. Any idea if they are going to offer more reticles then a MOA-based mildot looking reticle? When I called a month ago asking if they were going to do a Gen 2 XR in MOA they said no.

JeffVN

Now that I know that Premier is using Horus ret. I'll have to get one. Single turn/Double turn? What for? It's now a wash, get the one that you think looks the coolest.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CanPopper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I believe Premier licensed the knob design from USO so Premier is like a USO with better glass but not as good customization. </div></div>

Your logic is almost as sound as my wife's.......

A Premier is not like a USO. There's S&B's with MTC's and they aren't like USO's.

A Premier is like a Premier-it just happens that USO put the double detent setup on paper first.
    I've had both turrets apart and while the concept is the same, the execution is different. I prefer USO's captive detent balls (among many other features I prefer over PR), but most folks aren't going to have their scopes apart.

The best answer so far:
    <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Plange</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Either scope will do a good job, just depends on which one fits your needs better. You really can't go wrong with either.

Paul </div></div>

I would personally go with a Premier and I have experience with both. Don't get me wrong USO makes a good scope but I prefer the Heritage. Just my .02 cents though.

Traded my 5-25 PRemier for a 5-25 Tpal, no regrets whatever.

The Premier was a decent setup, but some technical things about it I wasn't crazy about, and the timeline and foibles of the rollout left a bad taste in my mouth. There's been turnover of staff, so things may be better or worse now.

My 6.5 used to sport a 3.2-17x T-Pal, but now has a 5-25x Heritage mounted on it. I don't think the PH is going anywhere. With that said, I agree with the above advice to get what fits your needs better. I also agree that you can't go wrong with either.

I am sure I will buy more USOs in the future, but doubt one will be to replace the PH. The only complaint I have about the PH is that it will cost me alot of money over the long haul, as I will slowly convert to MILS on everything.

I own two Premiers and two USOs along with a few other scopes and will give you my two cents...

My Premiers have both made a trip back for repairs but USOs go down too.

Glass quality goes to Premier
    Easy of use goes to USO
    The USO is easier to get behind
    Both USO and PH have great customer service.

For me the little be better glass was not worth ease of use. I prefer the USO.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 264Charlie</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> For me the little be better glass was not worth ease of use. I prefer the USO.
    </div></div>
    Just curious, but what make the USO easier to use to you? I find neither hard to use, but can't figure out what would make the USO easier.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: matchking</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 264Charlie</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> For me the little be better glass was not worth ease of use. I prefer the USO.
    </div></div>
    Just curious, but what make the USO easier to use to you? I find neither hard to use, but can't figure out what would make the USO easier. </div></div>

For me-I found the USO's to be much more forgiving regarding eyeplacement behind the scope. That was the primary reason my 5-25 PR got swapped.

Stupid drills like support side 90* prone will show you real quick which scope is "easier to get behind".

I don't want to start a shit storm here, but I have to disagree with those that say USO's and Premier's customer service is equal. I am purely basing this off of my experiences with both companies. I am currently waiting to get back a scope from USO that has been there about a month and a half. The only time I used Premier's customer service, Paul stayed late to fix my scope and had it shipped back to me less than 24 hours after receiving it. My two experiences are far from equal.