• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Not vintage and even less snipery

Great rifle I shoot a Sharps myself on a regular basis and there is just something awesome about plinking away at some steel with 405 grains of lead. I make softer shooting loads with either Trail Boss or a light load of Unique so you can shoot all day without pounding your shoulder into hamburger also fun for introducing new shooters and letting the kids have a go.

If your a reloader there is some great data here on low velocity loads for these rifles

Great pickup right there!

I always loved the 10-22 version of these guns.....

1628160890595.png

Would allow me to live out my Cavalry Trooper fantasy.....give me an excuse to get a new hat.

Unsure how enjoyable that 45-70 thump would be though in such a light rifle......
Embrace the thump.

The newfangled Marlin .45-70s seem to be lighter than a Cavalry Carbine, so it must not be that terrible?

Would allow me to live out my Cavalry Trooper fantasy.....give me an excuse to get a new hat.

Unsure how enjoyable that 45-70 thump would be though in such a light rifle......
I’ve had two major surgeries on my shooting arm, so I’m kinda in the air about how it will handle as well. I gave up my 300 win mag, and I’m afraid this gun might be forced to use powderpuff loads. I will give it a try and see though

I can still recall watching the shiny base of cast .45 cal 535gr bullets through my spotting scope while spotting & scoring for a friend who shot a Sharps in 45-70 during BPCRS matches - it was easily seen through the scope, and would arc upwards until it went of out the FOV of the scope, then arc back down and be visible before it reached the ram line at 500m. The downward angle of the heavy 45 slug's trajectory sometimes made it difficult to call the shot for the shooter if it was a miss - left or right was easy, but vertical was harder. Maybe more experience would've helped me give him better corrections, but I didn't spot for him as often as I did for the two friends who talked me into shooting BPCRS with them - they both were shooting 40-65s, which had a somewhat flatter trajectory.

Reactions: camocorvette
I can still recall watching the shiny base of cast .45 cal 535gr bullets through my spotting scope while spotting & scoring for a friend who shot a Sharps in 45-70 during BPCRS matches - it was easily seen through the scope, and would arc upwards until it went of out the FOV of the scope, then arc back down and be visible before it reached the ram line at 500m. The downward angle of the heavy 45 slug's trajectory sometimes made it difficult to call the shot for the shooter if it was a miss - left or right was easy, but vertical was harder. Maybe more experience would've helped me give him better corrections, but I didn't spot for him as often as I did for the two friends who talked me into shooting BPCRS with them - they both were shooting 40-65s, which had a somewhat flatter trajectory.
I’ve watched 45s from a pistol on many occasions while shooting steel in Ohio. The sun had to be just right but you could watch it pretty good. This description you give, makes me think about 22LR trace. At 200 yards, it makes a nice little arc and is very cool to watch.

Took it out back today and rough bore sighted it using the look down the barrel method. Really just wanted to see if the turrets moved the scope. Everything appeared to work as supposed to. It should be on paper though. Eventually I’ll shoot it with live rounds.
4F4EF228-9205-4DD2-B78C-47607B45C333.jpeg