• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Nucleus Orders

Is anyone getting their actions to consistently control round feed? Mine is consistently push.

Using Magpul or Accurates in XLR Element. Bolt speed does not seem to change outcome.

You have to cut the feed lips back so that the shoulder of the round underneath forces the round into the extractor. I trimmed my Magpul mags that way, and it worked. ARC mags have shorter lips for that reason. I am gonna trim an Accurate mag next.

You have to cut the feed lips back so that the shoulder of the round underneath forces the round into the extractor. I trimmed my Magpul mags that way, and it worked. ARC mags have shorter lips for that reason. I am gonna trim an Accurate mag next.

Post up your findings if you don't mind! I'm interested to see the results and how much trimming is required.

I trimmed the lips back till I got a good stiff spring powered by the shoulder of the round below. The spring is stronger the further back as well. I cut about 3/16 or so, cutting slowly and watching until the round below consistently pushed it up into the extractor.

Here is a slow mo video of it. I can get specific measurements, but really just trim back enough so that the shoulder is pushing it up.

The last round won't go into the extractor as reliably, cause it doesn't push the round as high as another round below it.

I trimmed the lips back till I got a good stiff spring powered by the shoulder of the round below. The spring is stronger the further back as well. I cut about 3/16 or so, cutting slowly and watching until the round below consistently pushed it up into the extractor.

Here is a slow mo video of it. I can get specific measurements, but really just trim back enough so that the shoulder is pushing it up.

The last round won't go into the extractor as reliably, cause it doesn't push the round as high as another round below it.

Dang, here is the video.

Dang, here is the video.

here is my video again showing the perfect control feed in my sr3 bighorn after trimming the feed lips back behind the shoulder. it is SO smooth now! if you have a short case such as the 6br, putting a mag spacer kit behind the case head should accomplish the same thing! before this mag mod it would always push feed. the lower case's angled shoulder would push up/FORWARD on the case being fed and jump in front of the bolt face in typical rem700 push feed fashion. now the case BODY underneath pushes the case being fed straight UP under the extractor. worked like a charm

Here is the latest update from American Rifle. We are a bit behind where we had hoped to be. All the components are machined and out for processing but it does not look like we will get anything back until the end of next week. We had a little oversight on the left hand actions which is requiring us to scramble a bit to get them ready. They are looking to be about about 2-3 weeks out from this point. We are expediting everything with hopes of reducing that time. We appreciate everyone's patience and apologize for the delay.

Cheers

Here is the latest update from American Rifle. We are a bit behind where we had hoped to be. All the components are machined and out for processing but it does not look like we will get anything back until the end of next week. We had a little oversight on the left hand actions which is requiring us to scramble a bit to get them ready. They are looking to be about about 2-3 weeks out from this point. We are expediting everything with hopes of reducing that time. We appreciate everyone's patience and apologize for the delay.

Cheers

Is there a time frame yet on when just the bolt heads will be sent out?

I got a measurement. For trimming magazine feed lips, I trimmed the feed lips back so that about 1/8th of an inch of the shoulder is exposed. That seemed to give enough shoulder to push the round up into the extractor.

I'm figuring that depending on the cartridge you shoot, you could cut them back more or less and kind of "tune" the magazines to what you run. 260 would need less trimming than a 6.5 creed, which needs less than a 6.5x47, which is less than a 6 dasher (if you really wanted to go that far), etc.

I'm figuring that depending on the cartridge you shoot, you could cut them back more or less and kind of "tune" the magazines to what you run. 260 would need less trimming than a 6.5 creed, which needs less than a 6.5x47, which is less than a 6 dasher (if you really wanted to go that far), etc.

You are exactly right, trim it back just short enough so that you get consistent engagement in the bolt face/extractor every time. I don't run the short dasher, so don't know those feeding issues unique to that round.

I am running a 6 xc, so I need to take off quite a bit more than others might. Although, with the control round feed, shorter lips don't matter like a push feed. Its the push feed that wants to keep the round trapped as long as possible.

Also, the way most mag springs are, they have the most force towards the case head side, the way they are made. So, I don't worry about running longer cartridges in these mags at all.

Reactions: MarkLeupold
Put my Nucleus with Barloc together this past weekend. Specs:

After waiting 7 months, I finally got to put together my new build:

Specs:
Action: ARC Nucleus
Trigger: Timney 510 (For now, Huber is on order)
Barrel: Hawk Hill Pre-fit chambered in 6.5x47 Lapua
Brake: APA Lil B*stard
Scope: Bushnell ERS 3.5-21 x 50
Chassis: Mcree G10

After getting the hang of the barloc it was really easy to put together. Not sure I'd want to change the barrel at the range, but I liked the system for changing the barrel at home. Action felt really tight at first. It now feels very smooth and is breaking in nicely. About the only thing I don't like is the bolt release. That little knob is a PITA to turn. Overall, really happy with the purchase. Have 50 rounds through it now, and plan on shooting it at the Kestral PRS match this weekend

Pic of the rifle below, and shots 18, 19, and 20 of the 3rd load I put through the rifle:

20180812_182313.jpg
20180812_222339.jpg

Specs:

After getting the hang of the barloc it was really easy to put together. Not sure I'd want to change the barrel at the range, but I liked the system for changing the barrel at home. Action felt really tight at first. It now feels very smooth and is breaking in nicely. About the only thing I don't like is the bolt release. That little knob is a PITA to turn. Overall, really happy with the purchase. Have 50 rounds through it now, and plan on shooting it at the Kestral PRS match this weekend

Pic of the rifle below, and shots 18, 19, and 20 of the 3rd load I put through the rifle:

View attachment 6933150View attachment 6933151
Looks like you found what it likes to eat.

Reactions: NovaHunter

Specs:

View attachment 6933150View attachment 6933151

Your rifle looks good. I like mine in that chassis as well. After a few hundred rounds, it is so much smoother. I think it is mostly the bolt and action lugs breaking in. Other moving parts are breaking in too I assume.

Yeah, lol, that little knob is a pain to twist out of the lock position. And, one of my rings is kinda on top of it making it even harder.

Your rifle looks good. I like mine in that chassis as well. After a few hundred rounds, it is so much smoother. I think it is mostly the bolt and action lugs breaking in. Other moving parts are breaking in too I assume.

Yeah, lol, that little knob is a pain to twist out of the lock position. And, one of my rings is kinda on top of it making it even harder.

Thanks!

Been dry practicing every night with it this week and it is feeling great. There's always a break in period for anything new.

I am hoping the bolt catch breaks in a bit so it isn't quite as much a pain to turn.

Reactions: hereinaz
That's a good point, trimming feed lips has a lot fewer downsides in a controlled round feed. You've got the cartridge controlled at more or less all times, regardless of whether you have short feed lips or not.

I sat my rifle right on the mag on a gamechanger and cycled the bolt and couldn't feel any noticeable hang up. I am using ARC mags in my Nucleus.

I sat my rifle right on the mag on a gamechanger and cycled the bolt and couldn't feel any noticeable hang up. I am using ARC mags in my Nucleus.

I think you and I were talking about trimming in different senses and for different reasons.

I was referring to people trimming the front edge of feed lips because they want to have more consistent controlled round feed with shorter cartridges. It sounds like you're referring to trimming, sanding, or bending the feed lips to avoid interference with the bolt when the magazine is slightly overinserted for one reason or another.

View attachment 6925305
Nucleus action arrived this morning. The action is damn smooth. Doesn't move the rifle off target when operating the bolt like the bolt on the Savage does. Cannot get it to bind no matter what I do.
Bolt stop is difficult to operate in order to remove the bolt. The detent is pretty strong. Seeing reports that it wears in a little.
With the factory Savage barrel nut, I can see one thread on the barrel from this manufacturer. Not a big deal, but I do hope it's not present when I get my Barloc.

Right hand short action, 0.475 bolt face, 20moa rail
KRG Bravo
X-Caliber 26" Savage bull contour 6.5 Creedmoor with Pepper Pot muzzle brake
TriggerTech Diamond
Vortex PST Gen II 5-25x50 EBR-2C MOA

Using a load worked up for a different rifle/barrel:
View attachment 6925306
What ring height? Looks like Seekins/Vortex .97"(medium), or high 1.26"?

Also whatis your barrel profile? I like the straight taper.

Thanks!

Ran the Nucleus in a match on Saturday. Tried every mag I could get my hands on, still no control round feed. Modified a Magpul as others have mentioned, ARC mags with and without aftermarket followers, MDT, Accurate, AI, etc. but rounds do not ride high enough to seat in claw. Fast/slow, it's just not happening.
I will get in touch with ARC and see what they say. I really don't want to send this in after finally getting it put together. Shoots tight.
Action ran great otherwise.

Thanks!

Been dry practicing every night with it this week and it is feeling great. There's always a break in period for anything new.

I am hoping the bolt catch breaks in a bit so it isn't quite as much a pain to turn.
My bolt stop was the same. Couldn't get it to turn without damn near breaking my fingertips off. Sometimes I couldn't get it past the detent at all.
Take a T25 torx driver to the left hand side of the bolt catch and use it to actuate it past the detent a few dozen times (more like a hundred). It will still be stiff, but it's at least possible to use it in the field without hurting my dainty fingertips now.

High 2500's for order number in a short action left hand. No word yet. I wasn't too excited or even gave a shit about when it showed up but now that my new stock is in the mail and I have the barrel laying here I'd like to do some chambering again.. hopefully sooner than later these unicorns show up.