Official (DTA) SRS, HTI, Covert, Hunter Thread

^ did you get it from SAC?
I bought it (very lightly) used, few hundred rounds on it. I’m up in Canada and ordering a new kit from SAC is a pain in a** and there’s one distributor who sells them up here and they price them quite high. And they only offer 18-22” barrels, wanted a longer one.
Took some patience to wait for the right used kit but it paid off because I got it at a great price.

Reactions: secondofangle2
Hello all - looking for some input on a 338 norma barrel. With length & weight not being of great concern (within reason) This will just be for steel & turning rocks to gravel at extended ranges as my ability grows. Would it be worth having a faster twist (9....) to accommodate future bullet designs? How about length - worth doing say 30" to get the extra velocity without having to push components as hard and still take advantage of the round? Probably overthinking or would the factory DT 26" 10 twist do just fine for the majority of what's available? Been collecting components and figure I'll start with the norma brass H-1000 and 285 eld-m. Thanks for the input 🤘🏻

Don't reinvent the wheel. The 338 Norma is just like the PRC cartridges, designed to give a shorter fatter case to allow long heavy bullets to be shot when mag length is limited. There is NO MAG LENGTH LIMITATION with DT SRS. So there is NO POINT in 338 Norma in an SRS

Get a 338 LM barrel, 26-34 inches, about 1:9 twist, shoot Lapua brass, 285 ELD-M and Retumbo (not H1000).

I would not sacrifice performance and track record of 338 LM for a 338 NM, and use Norma brass when Lapua brass is available.

There are a ton of successful 338 barrels on this thread dating back over a decade. 338 Norma fills a void that does not exist in an SRS; it is a solution to a non-problem. So....think hard about it.

See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.338_Norma_Magnum

Last edited:
All great points and food for thought !! My 1st step up to 338 anything and to sum it up I don't know what I don't know. I like the short fat cases for whatever reason - enjoy the wsm family. So I guess I'm kinda following that path. Thank you for the response !! I appreciate the perspective.

Would it be worth having a faster twist (9....) to accommodate future bullet designs?
There are already bullets for 338 that require 1:8.5 MINIMUM, so 1:9 is too slow of a twist for whats already available.

How about length - worth doing say 30" to get the extra velocity without having to push components as hard and still take advantage of the round?
Goto JBM balistics, and calculate with your chosen bullet/speed, what does 50-100 FPS difference do at your intended ranges. Faster is always better at long range. Less drop/drift, the question only you can answer is the extra X inches of barrel worth it at the target.

Reactions: Roadkill4us
Hello all - looking for some input on a 338 norma barrel. With length & weight not being of great concern (within reason) This will just be for steel & turning rocks to gravel at extended ranges as my ability grows. Would it be worth having a faster twist (9....) to accommodate future bullet designs? How about length - worth doing say 30" to get the extra velocity without having to push components as hard and still take advantage of the round? Probably overthinking or would the factory DT 26" 10 twist do just fine for the majority of what's available? Been collecting components and figure I'll start with the norma brass H-1000 and 285 eld-m. Thanks for the input 🤘🏻
I've got the factory 26" 1:10 conversion , no issues running 285's and 300gr OTM's / EH

^ I agree. People over-twist bullets.

Unless you’re running solids 1:9 or even 1:10 should be fine

Plus 300 gr is kinda upper limit for non-improved 338LM (designed around 250 grain bullets); it doesn't have the nutsack to push the heavies.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dogtown and 232593
I suppose it depends on what you’re trying to do with it

I never tried anything heavier than the 80 so I can’t give you any advice there, but the 75s do fine out to 1000 yards on steel. I doubt you will get the speed out of the heavier bullets to make them have superior drop, but they might have better wind-bucking ability and thump a little harder at distance - on target and in terms of splash for misses

There’s just so many known good loads for the 73, 75, 77 grain offerings that I personally would just stay right there

Reactions: Blueoval56
I suppose it depends on what you’re trying to do with it

I never tried anything heavier than the 80 so I can’t give you any advice there, but the 75s do fine out to 1000 yards on steel. I doubt you will get the speed out of the heavier bullets to make them have superior drop, but they might have better wind-bucking ability and thump a little harder at distance - on target and in terms of splash for misses

There’s just so many known good loads for the 73, 75, 77 grain offerings that I personally would just stay right there
Appreciate the thoughts. This kit will just be my cheap to load, low recoil fun barrel for general shooting on steel out to probably 800 max. Maybe the odd the coyote and I don’t shoot to save fur. Anything further than 800(or more energy required) I’ll use the the 30-06 or 338.

Brass Facts put up this video and basically refusing to interview DT after they have offered to next week at least 3 times publicly at their facility. I keep questioning brass facts as to why he won't. He keeps making excuses. It's ridiculous to not set the record straight in my humble opinion after putting up a video like this. Makes me think it's another slander campaign since he only wants to possibly do the interview after reviewing a wolvrn now.

You mean it’s an extortion video? Gimme a Wolverine or else?

His motives and his behavior aside, is there any truth to any of what he has in that video??

And Nick Young, himself so fond of self-congratulatory and self-promotional videos, can also set the record straight with his own video, right?

Last edited:
Reactions: vettman1 and 232593
You mean it’s an extortion video? Gimme a Wolverine or else?

His motives and his behavior aside, is there any truth to any of what he has in that video??

And Nick Young, himself so fond of self-congratulatory and self promotional videos, can also set the record straight with his own video, right?
Not extortion, just delay. He sounds scared to meet Nick in his comments. Nick has been trying to get him to meet and even responded back to 3 of the claims. I think the big issue now is how many people were fired or layed off. BF is saying 75%, the number he got from a disgruntled ex employee. Nick is saying more like 15% so I don't know. My problem with this is, BT put the video out and even said he should've talked to DT before hand. Now he's scared to meet. Loses all credibility to me. He's just making excuses not to meet.

Reactions: secondofangle2
Not extortion, just delay. He sounds scared to meet Nick in his comments. Nick has been trying to get him to meet and even responded back to 3 of the claims. I think the big issue now is how many people were fired or layed off. BF is saying 75%, the number he got from a disgruntled ex employee. Nick is saying more like 15% so I don't know. My problem with this is, BT put the video out and even said he should've talked to DT before hand. Now he's scared to meet. Loses all credibility to me. He's just making excuses not to meet.
But yes, Nick should do his own video. So many haters though. I hope Desert Tech pulls through.

Brass Facts put up this video and basically refusing to interview DT after they have offered to next week at least 3 times publicly at their facility. I keep questioning brass facts as to why he won't. He keeps making excuses. It's ridiculous to not set the record straight in my humble opinion after putting up a video like this. Makes me think it's another slander campaign since he only wants to possibly do the interview after reviewing a wolvrn now.
You know Brass Facts?

You know Brass Facts?
I do not. Just using my common sense. If you post a video about my company and I offer multiple times to bring you to my company for a interview and you keep making excuses not to, yea I'm not with that.
I wouldn’t be surprised at internal issues but I truly hope, if any of this video is true, that it’s the come to Jesus moment they need to pick up their socks. I’m pretty invested in the SRS platform and hope they succeed in pulling through what ever this is.
I hear ya. I'm majorly invested in tbe HTI platform. I have a ton of spare parts just because I wanted them. I hope they pull thru though. We have enough going against the firearm industry.

1700 rounds...factory 375CT....still going...

Attachments

• 20240817_134602.jpg
    20240817_134602.jpg
    449.2 KB · Views: 25
  • 20240817_134615.jpg
    20240817_134615.jpg
    464.5 KB · Views: 28
  • 20240817_134627.jpg
    20240817_134627.jpg
    491.1 KB · Views: 28
  • 20240817_134637.jpg
    20240817_134637.jpg
    625.7 KB · Views: 27
  • 20240817_134649.jpg
    20240817_134649.jpg
    549.4 KB · Views: 24
  • 20240817_134705.jpg
    20240817_134705.jpg
    442.4 KB · Views: 26
  • 20240817_134719.jpg
    20240817_134719.jpg
    517.3 KB · Views: 23
  • Love
Reactions: 232593
Got my 223 kit today. Waiting for some 80gr ELD’s then I’ll take it out for some testing.

223, 308, 338L so far and a 28” 30-06 PVA prefit on the way.

Wot @secondofangle2 sed.

75 eldm's are where it's at for the .223, they shoot fast and are little laser beams. The extra BC of the heavier projectiles isn't worth the velocity loss.

I'm shooting them at 3075fps out of my SAC .223AI and they hammer.

Reactions: Blueoval56
Very rarely now I’m up in QLD. Have got mates who can take you sambar hunting anywhere you like around there, and fly fishing if you’re into that as well
Sambar...
this is a young friend of mine who i lent one of my old No4T ( .303) Sniper rifles to take on a hunt locally. Got this Sambar at approx 180yds with Sierra 174gr HPBT Match projectile......Dropped it instantly

Attachments

• No4T20Sambar_zps0u1voqiz-1.jpg
    No4T20Sambar_zps0u1voqiz-1.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 49
Reactions: M77 and Simia Dei
Sambar...
this is a young friend of mine who i lent one of my old No4T ( .303) Sniper rifles to take on a hunt locally. Got this Sambar at approx 180yds with Sierra 174gr HPBT Match projectile......Dropped it instantly
That’s an absolute juggernaut mate. I’ve only ever shot one close to that size, was so old he had about 3 teeth in his head and these were the antlers that came off him. Bloody heavy bastard, I doubt he would have survived another season.

IMG_9266.jpeg

Reactions: wooferocau
What backpacks are you using to carry your rig?

After looking at a LOT of bags, I settled on a Helikon Tex double upper rifle bag. It's not exactly a backpack, but it does have backpack straps on it and can be used as one if you need.

The rifle with 26" barrel + brake will fit lengthwise, it has the perfect internal molle layout for rifle and additional pouches, plenty of storage in the external pockets and is well made.

I have put 2x other DTA owners onto these bags and they both rate them highly.

1730 rounds on this Factory 375 barrel

Just zeroing the Arken properly which will now live on this HTI

2 .....3 shot groups... moved 1 click left on 2nd group

Attachments

• 20240819_113106.jpg
    20240819_113106.jpg
    913.4 KB · Views: 27
  • 20240819_113220.jpg
    20240819_113220.jpg
    230.2 KB · Views: 24
  • 20240819_113229.jpg
    20240819_113229.jpg