• Site Updates Coming Monday

We’re planning to start making changes bright and early on Monday so you might see the site down fir a bit, but no worries, we’ll make our changes and be back as soon as we can!

VIEW THREAD
  • Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

ORIGIN Orders

How do you get thread back - I loosened it all the way - when you tighten the nut you lose more thread.

When you tighten the nut, you are moving the nut closer to the action thus exposing more thread if the barrel remains in place. You will not gain a lot but it was enough for me. Every barrel will differ as wells and you not alone when it comes to this setup. It's not an Origin + Barloc Nut problem.

https://www.snipershide.com/shootin...vice-barrel-nut-version.6915056/#post-7382585

The Origin does fit the BarLoc, we make regular barrel nut barrels for BarLocs all the time, same as making shouldered barrels to use the no-nut version of the BarLoc. In fact I cut 2 of the latter today for a guy that ordered matched 223 barrels for his sons.

I don't think it is physicsly possible to use barloc nut version with origin recoil lug - there is only one picture in 19 pages - and its not in a stock or been shot

It is possible it's just that not all barrels are the same. That was my rifle. Updated picture in a XLR Envy chassis and I have shot it. No issues so far.

IMG_3356.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 5RWill
When you tighten the nut, you are moving the nut closer to the action thus exposing more thread if the barrel remains in place. You will not gain a lot but it was enough for me. Every barrel will differ as wells and you not alone when it comes to this setup. It's not just an Origin + Barloc Nut problem.

https://www.snipershide.com/shootin...vice-barrel-nut-version.6915056/#post-7382585

my problem is not enough threads to tighten the barrel to headspace tight enough - i put the no go gauge in and the bolt closes

Reactions: drwood96
BigHorn Origin Barrel Tenon: .900" +/-
BarLoc: .588"
BigHorn Recoil Lug: .250"
Savage Small Shank Tenon: 1.5" +/-
6.5 Creedmoor No Go Gauge: 1.71"

Barrel tenon minus barloc and recoil lug = .662"
action tenon minus .662" = .238" plus 1.5" = 1.738" - 1.71" = +.028 = bolt closing on no go gauge

ARC recoil lug is .065" smaller

Edit:
This math might be more accurate

BigHorn Origin Barrel Tenon: .900" +/-
BarLoc: .588"
BigHorn Recoil Lug: .250"
Savage Small Shank Tenon: 1.5" +/-
6.5 Creedmoor No Go Gauge: 1.71"
Go Gauge Protrudes .180" out of barrel
No Go Gauge Protrudes .190" out of barrel

Barrel tenon minus barloc and recoil lug = .662"
action tenon minus .662" = .238" minus no go protrusion .190" = +.048 = bolt closing on no go gauge

ARC recoil lug is .065" smaller

with a .185" recoil lug there should be approx. -0.007 extra thread to headspace correctly if this math is right - this is my first rifle so not sure if that amount of leeway is normal

Last edited:
Well I threw a factory trigger in my action today to see if it will hold me over, the timing is pretty bad so I'll just wait till I get the right trigger...

On that topic, are there any triggers you guys have liked and was the timing right without a smith? The actions are all the same but is there much consitency between triggers? If im not understanding this right please let me know. My initial throughts are Timney CE or Trigher Tech.

I don't have an Origin, but do have experience with a TL-3 (very short mind you, before I ditched that action) which I imagine will be very similar.

The TT trigger I dropped into it just to play with the action didn't play nice with the action at all - it had a really stiff bolt close. If the trigger timing of the Origin is similar to the TL-3, I would avoid TT.

BnA Tacsport has different Sears, so you can essentially "time" the trigger to the action by using the correct sear. Bullet Central knows which sears to use for an action, I would talk to them. Plus, I think a 2 stage Tacsport is superior to a TT trigger.

Does anyone know the current lead time?

Mine took like a week and a half, I believe they are still all caught up.

I don't have an Origin, but do have experience with a TL-3 (very short mind you, before I ditched that action) which I imagine will be very similar.

The TT trigger I dropped into it just to play with the action didn't play nice with the action at all - it had a really stiff bolt close. If the trigger timing of the Origin is similar to the TL-3, I would avoid TT.

BnA Tacsport has different Sears, so you can essentially "time" the trigger to the action by using the correct sear. Bullet Central knows which sears to use for an action, I would talk to them. Plus, I think a 2 stage Tacsport is superior to a TT trigger.

I think Ill still do the trigger tech, Ill get it timed and it should work just fine. Others seem to have no issues.

Mine took like a week and a half, I believe they are still all caught up.

I think Ill still do the trigger tech, Ill get it timed and it should work just fine. Others seem to have no issues.

Dang, I placed my order on 12/20 and havent heard back since.

Dang, I placed my order on 12/20 and havent heard back since.

maybe with Christmas and shot show they've been busy? just checked my email, I ordered Dec 11th and it was shipped Dec 17th. Also something to consider is when they run their batches. I may have just put my order in before they ran the next batch.

Does anyone know if there's a place that makes a 1.25" straight barrel for an origin as a prefit? I'd ideally like to get a barrel for F class and move the origin over to my Eliseo chassis without having to send it out to a gunsmith.

Does anyone know if there's a place that makes a 1.25" straight barrel for an origin as a prefit? I'd ideally like to get a barrel for F class and move the origin over to my Eliseo chassis without having to send it out to a gunsmith.
PVA should be able to since they contour their own, but you're gonna be waiting
or call keystone or LRI. they might have one that'll work.
otherwise you're looking at a heavy varmint probably

Check with keystone accuracy. They just spun up a Krieger prefit for my origin just received it the last Monday. I believe turn around time was about 2 weeks. Since I am behind enemy lines my action is in jail until next week so won’t be able to put it together until end of next week.

Chad

Reactions: spife7980
I think it's just a matter of time and demand. I am calling tomorrow. That action looks like a private labeled origin. I think it's GREAT for US Origin owners that this action is growing. It just means more options for us. AND... I think it's pretty bad ass that a company like PROOF chose Big Horn Arms Zermatt to manufacture a house branded action for them. I for one am content with my purchase.

Reactions: Jackomason
All they say is bighorn profits. Does that mean tl3, sr3 and origin or? Being the tl3 shouldered prefits are different than the origin prefits. Why just use the savage prefits they are make and the bighorn barrel nut.

All they say is bighorn profits. Does that mean tl3, sr3 and origin or? Being the tl3 shouldered prefits are different than the origin prefits. Why just use the savage prefits they are make and the bighorn barrel nut.
cause fuck a barrel nut. and i want a 1.20 bull barrel not 1.06

but the difference between a TL3 and Origin is .100 so basically nothing. nbd

Reactions: jackinfl
Proof Bighorn Prefits are listed on ExpertVoice. I ordered a blank on Black Friday and now see that they're doing prefits! Caliber list looks pretty extensive. The image posted appears to show SR3/TL3.

Proof's new rifle is exactly what I was trying to build. I have an Origin, Proof Sendero Light, and was going to throw it in an AG Composites Sportsman.

Sorry for the silence over the past few weeks, it's been busy.

Lead times right now for right hand Origins is 4-6 weeks. It has a likelihood of being shorter, but that's what we need to quote to cover ourselves right not. Left hand Origins are running faster right now (about 2 weeks max). Those times are all gong to be around 2-3 weeks within the 4 -6 weeks we're quoting right now.

The PROOF pre fits, as I understand, will eventually be offered for all 3 (TL3/SR3-SA, TL3/SR3-LA and Origin) actions. The first barrels available will be for the TL3/SR3-SA with the other two options coming down the road. I'm unaware of time frames, but I'm sure it won't be long before they're all readily available.

If there's anything else I missed, it's easier to send us an email directly to get information from us. [email protected] or my direct [email protected] Thank you - Ray

What's the best inlet option if Origin isn't an option? I know we're looking at a 700 SA footprint, but many actions are 700 footprints. It will be coming from AG Composites. Which do I choose?

Remington 700 SHORT
Stiller Predator MEDIUM
Stiller Predator SHORT
Lone Peak Razor / Razor Ti SHORT
Lone Peak Fuzion / Fuzion Ti SHORT
Impact SHORT
Pierce SHORT

What's the best inlet option if Origin isn't an option? I know we're looking at a 700 SA footprint, but many actions are 700 footprints. It will be coming from AG Composites. Which do I choose?

Remington 700 SHORT
Stiller Predator MEDIUM
Stiller Predator SHORT
Lone Peak Razor / Razor Ti SHORT
Lone Peak Fuzion / Fuzion Ti SHORT
Impact SHORT
Pierce SHORT

The rem700 will need some work but may be the best option.. Scroll back a few pages and I have pictures of an Origin in a Manners for a 700 inlet for those that were asking. The bolt handle inlet needs a little material removed and there is some for the ejection port clearance.

Last edited:
I think ag composites will inlet for a bighorn. I got a good deal on black Friday on two of their stocks in rem footprint and will just try to file the port and handle area to fit.

I think ag composites will inlet for a bighorn. I got a good deal on black Friday on two of their stocks in rem footprint and will just try to file the port and handle area to fit.

I emailed them that very question, no luck on the origin inlet. They did say their 700 provided a little extra space to accomodate different style bolt handles.

I'm ok with a little filing. I ordered a 700LA for a 300WM Christensen Ridgeline. I had to make room for the side bolt release, but the handle was acceptable. Thanks for the help.

I had mine in an MPA with a PVA heavy Palma. Fit no sweat. Dropped right into an A5 remmy 700 inlet with only minor filing of the bolt handle opening. I don’t bother with the ejection port. It doesn’t affect function whatsoever.

WAYYYY less inletting of the bolt handle than a TL3 or SR3.....but even that’s a two beer process.

I had mine in an MPA with a PVA heavy Palma. Fit no sweat. Dropped right into an A5 remmy 700 inlet with only minor filing of the bolt handle opening. I don’t bother with the ejection port. It doesn’t affect function whatsoever.

WAYYYY less inletting of the bolt handle than a TL3 or SR3.....but even that’s a two beer process.

Any pics of the MPA?

Sure don’t but it truly fits like it was made for the origin. Probably less variation in the outside dimension of any bighorn action and a Remington 700 footprint than between Remington 700’s.

The AG composite stocks all have AMPLE room for just about anything. The origin bolt release won’t interfere. I would NOT run one of those without bedding.

I called Proof today and spoke to one of the sales guys. Super nice conversation. I kind of feel like I ambushed him a little early. Meaning...I don't think he had all the answers and others were still at SHOT. He didn't have a direct yes or no for Prefit barrels for our Origin actions. I'm hoping to hear back next week from him.

He offered the savage prefit and a barrel nut. I am simply NOT interested in that. Zermatt said they hold their actions to .0004. That's awfully consistent.

Anyway, I am confident that if we the consumers show interest companies will answer with the products.

Good times we're living in.

I changed my manners prs1 order to fit the origin instead of impact. Although impact is better I could not justify 500 bucks more for it and not to mention this proof barrel breakthrough just sealed me going with origin. Now let’s hope no one lets me handle their impact after I build mine with bighorn haha

Honestly i had some gripes with my TL3 personally be it that particular action or what but i love our Origin. It's nearly impossible to argue with for $800 or $730 in our case due to the promotional price. Awesome if Proof is doing prefits for it, my brother might eventually want to get away from a 20lb rifle with an MTU contour. I like dad's SR3 also but the value of the Origin is honestly unrivaled in the market.
IMG_4380.jpg

IMG_4383.jpg

IMG_4386.jpg

Reactions: Dooby and Estes640
Anyone know if their bases fit all their actions including origin? When looking to order an extra base the drop down options only give tl3/sr3.